Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD not able to build enough working Fury R9.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Yields are far too low.

In English this means chips produced that simply don't work.

Interestingly, I remember IMEC talking about the end of Moore's Law not being caused because we can't go any smaller, but because yields would become far too low, and production far too costly at that scale.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=17483&graphics=Radeon%20R9%20FURY%204GB&title=Low%20Yields%20Of%20Fiji%20GPUs%20Causing%20AMD%20To%20Suffer%20Radeon%20R9%20Fury%20Stock%20Shortages

"The increased transistor density allows the Fiji GPU to pack in 8.9 billion transistors, but AMD is finding this level of density hard to produce in large quantities."

Comments

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

None of the new AMD cards are doing well in Canada from what I'm seeing. They are charging more for the FURY than the 980TI everywhere in Canada still, and it is a considerably worse card.

I thought AMD was going to beat Nvidia's 980TI by being more bang for the buck like usual, but they instead put out a worse card and decided to charge more money than the much better offering from Nvidia.

AMD has no place in the video card market at the moment.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

did not see one source for any of this blogger opinion. So is thishow it works now, find a random blogger for nvidia and post links on gaming formers to create some kind of credibility ?

I found an English source for people because I am guessing you can't read Dutch or Italian? I can. Hardware.info is probably one of the most reputable tech sites in the world. When they say something, you can bet there is truth to it.

http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/44449/tekort-aan-amd-radeon-r9-fury-kaarten-vanwege-tegenvallende-yields

http://www.3dfxzone.it/news/reader.php?objid=22858

And YES, the info is REAL, if you go through the shops here, all the red dots show they can't get the cards, and if you ask those shops, the reason they're giving is that they can't get their hands on the cards.

http://be.hardware.info/prijsvergelijker/ongecategoriseerd#u:R9%20Fury

And here are more English links:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article62834.html

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amds-partners-cannot-get-enough-radeon-r9-fury-graphics-cards-report/

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

did not see one source for any of this blogger opinion. So is thishow it works now, find a random blogger for nvidia and post links on gaming formers to create some kind of credibility ?

I found an English source for people because I am guessing you can't read Dutch or Italian?

http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/44449/tekort-aan-amd-radeon-r9-fury-kaarten-vanwege-tegenvallende-yields

http://www.3dfxzone.it/news/reader.php?objid=22858

And YES, the info is REAL, if you go through the shops here, all the red dots show they can't get the cards, and if you ask those shops, the reason they're giving is that they can't get their hands on the cards.

http://be.hardware.info/prijsvergelijker/ongecategoriseerd#u:R9%20Fury

And here are more English links:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article62834.html

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amds-partners-cannot-get-enough-radeon-r9-fury-graphics-cards-report/

can't get the card, and production issues are two completely different things. Supply and demand ? AMD felt they may not need as many cards at launch, they thought wrong. I didn;t see anything fromthose websits that are source qualified , you ar ejust posting links to other blogs... source is a press release. Mbidia can't even get hbn to work, and now on full war path to slow down AMDs's success witht he technology.

Thanks for the post but it is to transparent for me to bite into more then I have. <3 AMD .

No, it's because of low yields, not supply and demand.

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/news/hardware/vgacards/36042-r9-fury-two-partner-launch-comes-at-what-cost.html

"Speaking with AMD partners today it’s become clear that we’ll be seeing companies like GIGABYTE, MSI, PowerColor and more offer variants of the R9 Fury. When? Well that still remains a bit up in the air. While this isn’t really shocking news, we would highly doubt AMD would ignore so many partners on its new “Fiji” based card, everything becomes more interesting when you start to talk to companies about why they’ve been ignored. Yield rates, yield rates and yield rates are constantly mentioned. We see companies not happy with R9 Fury X quantities"

The reason why AMD doesn't just up production, is asked by people who don't understand how chips are made.

Each wafer has a number of chips, some of those work, some do not, when too many don't work, it is going to hurt your profits too much to continue. So you need to increase yields or you will bankrupt yourself. This is why there are delays, AMD doesn't seem capable of having good R9 Fury yields atm.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

I regard it as very unlikely that Fiji's yields are so bad that most of the chips don't work at all.  What's far more plausible is that most of the chips are ending up as salvage parts.  For example, if only 10% of the dies can fit the Fury X specs, 30% the Fury non-X, and another 50% can work as further cut-down dies that's horrible yields, but you still get to sell 90% of the dies.

It is likely that a lot of the chips have to be salvage parts.  This is, after all, the largest die AMD has ever built that I'm aware of, and by a huge margin.  Look how many chips Nvidia had to cut down for GT200 and GF100.  And Nvidia has more experience with huge dies than AMD.

What's probable, on the other hand, is that AMD could have had plenty of chips if they waited another three months to launch Fiji.  But they didn't want to wait, as they were so far behind.  AMD is a lot more competitive with Nvidia with Fiji than without.  Even if, on net, they're still substantially behind Nvidia today, they're not nearly so far behind as if there were no Fiji chip.  So AMD wanted to rush Fiji out so that they could be more competitive sooner, rather than just letting a bunch of people buy high end Nvidia cards with no competition whatsoever.  If that means a soft launch, then so be it.  Nvidia did the same thing with the launch of the GTX 680 that had hardly any cards available to buy for nearly two months after launch.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I regard it as very unlikely that Fiji's yields are so bad that most of the chips don't work at all.  What's far more plausible is that most of the chips are ending up as salvage parts.  For example, if only 10% of the dies can fit the Fury X specs, 30% the Fury non-X, and another 50% can work as further cut-down dies that's horrible yields, but you still get to sell 90% of the dies.

It is likely that a lot of the chips have to be salvage parts.  This is, after all, the largest die AMD has ever built that I'm aware of, and by a huge margin.  Look how many chips Nvidia had to cut down for GT200 and GF100.  And Nvidia has more experience with huge dies than AMD.

What's probable, on the other hand, is that AMD could have had plenty of chips if they waited another three months to launch Fiji.  But they didn't want to wait, as they were so far behind.  AMD is a lot more competitive with Nvidia with Fiji than without.  Even if, on net, they're still substantially behind Nvidia today, they're not nearly so far behind as if there were no Fiji chip.  So AMD wanted to rush Fiji out so that they could be more competitive sooner, rather than just letting a bunch of people buy high end Nvidia cards with no competition whatsoever.  If that means a soft launch, then so be it.  Nvidia did the same thing with the launch of the GTX 680 that had hardly any cards available to buy for nearly two months after launch.

The point is they still clearly don't have high enough yields to provide even the "Cut down" regular Fury.  This is really turning into AMD's version of the GTX4xx fiasco.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

All the 3rd worst salvage parts are being made into Fury Nano, so going by this, there should be more Fury nano available for sale then there was fury x and fury pro now.

It's gonna be hard to tell when nano launches, if it's readily available and not out of stock because there's a lot of salvage chips or because not enough people bought them right away, but we'll still have a glimpse of the yields when nano comes out

Originally posted by Hrimnir

The point is they still clearly don't have high enough yields to provide even the "Cut down" regular Fury.  This is really turning into AMD's version of the GTX4xx fiasco.

Not necessarily.  It's likely that they don't have enough wafers back from the fabs to provide a whole lot of anything just yet, regardless of yields.  The GTX 680 was scarce for two months after launch, but that doesn't mean the yields were a disaster.

You probably forget just how bad the GeForce 400 series yields were.  Yields there were so awful that Nvidia wasn't able to provide a fully functional GeForce card for the top end GF100, the next chip GF104, or even the third chip GF106.  Top end Tesla and Quadro cards that sold for $4000 had to disable multiple SMs because the yields were so bad.

If Fiji yields are as bad as GeForce 400 series, we can expect AMD to shortly be pushing cards that disable about 1/3 of the chip for about $350 or so--and expect that that's going to get the bulk of the Fiji chips.  I do somewhat expect to see another salvage part, but I don't expect it to be that bad.

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Not necessarily.  It's likely that they don't have enough wafers back from the fabs to provide a whole lot of anything just yet, regardless of yields.  The GTX 680 was scarce for two months after launch, but that doesn't mean the yields were a disaster.

You probably forget just how bad the GeForce 400 series yields were.  Yields there were so awful that Nvidia wasn't able to provide a fully functional GeForce card for the top end GF100, the next chip GF104, or even the third chip GF106.  Top end Tesla and Quadro cards that sold for $4000 had to disable multiple SMs because the yields were so bad.

If Fiji yields are as bad as GeForce 400 series, we can expect AMD to shortly be pushing cards that disable about 1/3 of the chip for about $350 or so--and expect that that's going to get the bulk of the Fiji chips.  I do somewhat expect to see another salvage part, but I don't expect it to be that bad.

Fair enough, but it appears there are still some parallels to be drawn between the two.  I guess at least Fury isn't a hot mess.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

did not see one source for any of this blogger opinion. So is this how it works now, find a random blogger for nvidia and post links on gaming formers to create some kind of credibility ?

This is how 99% of the tech/gaming sites work, but normally they just site each other as a source so anyone looking for credibility in their articles just goes in circles.  

• long123long123 Member Posts: 7
    The reason why AMD doesn't just up production, is asked by people who don't understand how chips are made.
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    The OP is a known AMD hater, so her opinion on this matter is already of little value, and then she also proved over and over again that she has little clue about technology despite the image of an "expert" she's trying to display here. But the only reason why AMD are not able to build enough chips is because the demand is tremendous, and because you don't fart chips out of your ass if you want quality.

Dude you can't be serious.  Even if she is a "known" AMD hater, it doesnt change the fact that most retailers are stating that they're having issues even getting them in stock so they can sell them to people.  Not to mention MAJOR manufacturer's like gigabyte haven't gotten ANY chips to make cards to sell with.

So i'm sorry but your whole supply/demand argument is bull.  Read the facts.  Do some actual research before engaging AMD defense mode.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

AMD could readily make a million Radeon R9 Fury X cards if they wanted do and believed that there was sufficient market demand for them.  Especially on a mature process node, it's easy to ramp up production.  It's just a question of how soon they could get the cards to retail.

Another possibility is that it's an HBM issue.  There's exactly one chip designed to work with HBM1, and there will probably only ever be one such chip.  So Hynix doesn't want to make a zillion chips figuring that they'll sell them somewhere eventually.  If Hynix produces chips that AMD doesn't want to buy for Fiji cards, they can't sell the chips at all.  How soon can Hynix deliver how much HBM for AMD?  Maybe they're ahead of the game and have as much HBM as AMD wants whenever AMD wants it, provided that they put the order in a few months ahead of time.  Or maybe AMD has plenty of Fiji chips laying around and can't get enough HBM to use them just yet.

Or, as I saw pointed out once elsewhere, there are 22 dies in a Fiji package.  AMD has done MCMs before (e.g., Magny-Cours), but I'm not aware of any before Fiji with anywhere near 22 dies.  Some are several copies of the same die, but there are at least five fundamentally different dies in a Fiji package.  If just one of them is having trouble, that means the number of Fiji GPUs that can be sold is limited by whichever die is the problem.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    The OP is a known AMD hater, so her opinion on this matter is already of little value, and then she also proved over and over again that she has little clue about technology despite the image of an "expert" she's trying to display here. But the only reason why AMD are not able to build enough chips is because the demand is tremendous, and because you don't fart chips out of your ass if you want quality.

Lotsa bladibla bladibla. and "she" as you call it is actualy right.

yields are low on the wafers

better the yield of the wafer the more gpu's u can make out of them

And the demand is not "tremendous" as you call it.

Peeps running AMD are a bunch of "badnames here" IF they could actualy provide the chips they would have made lotsa cash.

They overhyped the Fury x with bogus benchmarks, everyone wanted it.

Then it came out peeps could not buy them and later find out its not "that" good, for less money u can get a faster GTX980i

I have had 9 <-- peeps returning their Fury X cards since the pump where maing terrible "coolermaster" noises.

7 of them took a 980ti

B.T.W. i have every comercialy available ATI/AMD card there is including a Fury X

but i dont care about the pumps noise since all my stuff has "real" waterblocks on them.

imageimage

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

According to the AMD Q1 2015 earnings call, the CEO gave a 'non-answer' to the questions around Fury R9 yields.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleIR

Make that what you will.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Surely "manufacturing faults breaking Moores law" is a universal hurdle that will be brought to bear by all? Otherwise it is just a transient issue.
    Among new cards, New Egg now has one SKU of Radeon R9 Fury and two of Radeon R9 Fury X in stock.  For comparison, they have four of GeForce GTX Titan X, which launched more than three months earlier.
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Remember there are 2 company's here.

Hynix that makes the HBM and UMC that makes the gpu.

Yes that above line says UMC and not TSMC so we actualy know what happened :P

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Will-Use-Globalfoundries-to-Make-GPUs-CPUs-and-APUs-Not-TSMC-466632.shtml

what what but dear sir that article says they are using Global foundry's

Hmz yeah somewhere after 3 december 2014 they decided to use UMC.

The R9 290x and below where made by TSMC

Market shares

TSMC 56%

GlobalFoundry 12.3%

AMD Actualy started this company but sold it, its now owned by "Mubadala Development Company"

https://www.mubadala.com/

UMC 11%

Shit happens when you go shopping for the cheapest stuff :P

Revenue

UMC $4.1 billion

TSMC $20 billion

The GPU is made by UMC?  Are you sure about that?  I'd find that extremely shocking.  I could believe that Fiji is made by either TSMC or GlobalFoundries, but not UMC.  The interposer could plausibly be UMC, as for that, you basically just pick the cheapest process node that can do what you need, even if it's eight years old.

GlobalFoundries got its start by buying AMD's in-house fabs.  They've since bought other foundries, including IBM's.  With every new process node costing more than the previous, the volume it takes to justify having your own fabs keeps going up, to the extent that no one has their own fabs just for their own chips anymore.  Intel was the last, and even they have started taking other customers.  There used to be a bunch of different foundries, but now Intel, TSMC, Samsung, and Global Foundries are the only ones even trying to stay near the cutting edge--and Samsung and Global Foundries cooperate extensively in developing new process nodes.

AMD has said that the products that they previously planned for 20 nm have since been moved to some FinFET process node.  They haven't publicly said 14 nm or 16 nm, so I just call it 14/16 nm.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    UMC makes the interposer @ 65nm
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Well i got my FURY X and man it's silient(yeh no whiny pump sound) and cool around 54 celsius full load i see most time rarely around 60.

Just talked to guy at shop mycom who bought 980ti 2days ago and he complaint about very annoying noise and how hot it became over 80+ celsius.

He have smooth fps sure bit better then my FURY X but not hearing the card and super low temps(xfire in near future for me) it's a BIG PLUS and QUALITY for me.

So far performance and cool plus silient 9.5/10(i mainly compare it to my previous 290x)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Classicstar
    Well i got my FURY X and man it's silient(yeh no whiny pump sound) and cool around 54 celsius full load i see most time rarely around 60.Just talked to guy at shop mycom who bought 980ti 2days ago and he complaint about very annoying noise and how hot it became over 80+ celsius.He have smooth fps sure bit better then my FURY X but not hearing the card and super low temps(xfire in near future for me) it's a BIG PLUS and QUALITY for me.So far performance and cool plus silient 9.5/10(i mainly compare it to my previous 290x)

Very nice. How well does it run WIndows 10?