Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Expansion Post Mortem - Warlords Turns to Borelords

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

“Can it really be that bad?” 

Yes.  I got bored within the first month of WoD.  I've never got bored that fast for a WoW expansion.

It's actually quite shocking that 6.2 is their only major content patch (despite them saying that 6.1 was also).  All previous expansions had at least 3 or more.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    If garrisons was like housing and a bit like wildstar housing on steroids it would have been a great addition to the game, but instead they built something that nobody wanted, nobody asked for and is almost universally hated. Then after all that, after the obvious dislike they build garrisons 2 with boats. Wtf are blizzard doing?

Agreed.

Garrisons were nice in theory, but i don't remember the majority wanting them at all.  They wanted housing instead, much like an expanded version of the Tillers farm in MoP.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

if they put Ashran back to 6.1 status even I would still be playing.  At least I could jump in a group and get something done.

now 6.2 I havent even got into Ashran 1 x, I have stayed in the Q for over 2 hrs multiple times to never get in.

there was nothing wrong with the event groups and nem groups, but the 3 people who would always be like hey INVITE that never got invited must have been the vocal majority.

now ashran is useless, taanan is boring as hell, and although I still like the Garrisons, I am having a hard time even finding anything worth doing.  

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89

I can understand why they would want to keep the game going, its still very popular and very profitable by MMO standards and as time goes by older generation games become less costly to update and maintain since the technology is so dated.

However I think we are long overdue to for WoW 2, i would be very surprised if it was not in development.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Pepeq

I sometimes question what planet these reviewers live on because Blizzard has followed this formula since vanilla.  

The reviewer is firmly rooted in WoD's reception.

If Blizzard had a formula they forgot to follow it with WoD - or maybe the formula is to produce less and less content the older the game is. They released 12 major patches after vanilla; even MoP for 4 before the 14 month drought.

And as a result of the content drought everyone will have done everything they wanted to do. So WoD really needed to deliver. And it hasn't. Indeed what Suzie hasn't mentioned is that the angst being expressed currently are from people who are still subscribed what we have no idea about is how many (more) have left.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Pepeq

I sometimes question what planet these reviewers live on because Blizzard has followed this formula since vanilla.  

The reviewer is firmly rooted in WoD's reception.

If Blizzard had a formula they forgot to follow it with WoD - or maybe the formula is to produce less and less content the older the game is. They released 12 major patches after vanilla; even MoP for 4 before the 14 month drought.

And as a result of the content drought everyone will have done everything they wanted to do. So WoD really needed to deliver. And it hasn't. Indeed what Suzie hasn't mentioned is that the angst being expressed currently are from people who are still subscribed what we have no idea about is how many (more) have left.

Agreed, gervaise1, though I think the Q3 earnings report will be very telling. Just announcing an expansion title and a few facts, if such a thing happens at Gamecom, will not get people to resubscribe. I am predicting a serious downturn in subscription numbers to tangibly be shown in a few months. To me, given those I know who have chosen to unsubscribe already, that drop is already here, but the world will see it then.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I also cannot understand why blizzard don't just develop wow 2, all they need to do is provide achsni for existing players to transfer their achieve history over to wow 2 and the player base and mmorpg fan base in general would love it, plus a massive spike I. Wow while people mop up as many achieves as possible. They are so short sighted.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jeremy2020jeremy2020 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Garrisons, shipyards, etc all act like free to play phone games.

WoW does things to force you to login every day instead of doing things that make you want to login every day now.

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156

Garrisons are a horrible, and Blizzard should feel horrible for adding them into the game.

"Hey guys, let's isolate players in their own private instance and give them everything they need to be self sufficient, so they never have to interact with other players! Brilliant, this is what MMO's need!"

Seriously, fire anyone on their dev team that thought it was a good idea.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This is an interesting column.  I remember when the expansion launched the general consensus (at least from what I gathered) is that it was an excellent expansion.  Very interesting to see how perceptions have evolved since then.

I was tempted to return to WoW a week ago.  I signed up for the 7 day trial and gave it a few days.  I really thought I was going to subscribe again from the beginning of that trial.  I had noticed the character textures all seem improved and the overall graphic experience seemed much better overall than I last remembered.  However, after the fourth day I realized that the low level areas were very empty of players and that I would be settling into a more solo experience.  That notion didn't bother me as much as the realization that the mechanics of the game felt extremely dated.  By comparison, I launched ESO and started a new character to compare the experiences.  In the end, I found that I was enjoying my time with ESO much better.  Plus, it didn't require an ongoing subscription.

I know there has been another thread devoted to this, but I believe the next appropriate move for WoW to do would be to move to a F2P model.  I just don't think it can compete on the same level with the current crop of MMOs.  Just my 2 cents,

• LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82

The last three times I tried to log into WoW I quit after less than a hour. The only thing I did was throwing away money by subbing those three times. 

No matter how many expansions they release, it's all the same to me. The same dull combat system, boring quests and a world where half of it looks new and the other look 10 years old. Its like playing a modded game and only half the textures are HD, the rest is low quality and blurry.

The only similar game I play right now is SWTOR, and that is ONLY because it's Star Wars and BW's wonderful story telling system.

Personally I'm tired of MMORPG's, I've just learned to hate PVP and forced grouping. Is why I stay as far away as possible from moba and FPS games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by WhySoSerious

Garrisons are a horrible, and Blizzard should feel horrible for adding them into the game.

"Hey guys, let's isolate players in their own private instance and give them everything they need to be self sufficient, so they never have to interact with other players! Brilliant, this is what MMO's need!"

Seriously, fire anyone on their dev team that thought it was a good idea.

I think they took their cue from Narius.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    Originally posted by danwest58

This game has become too much a single player game and is why I left.  I want forced grouping where you cannot take a quest line farther unless you do an Instance.  Also I would love to see them get rid of LFD and LFR because too many people who use these tools just want easy fast content and they are at the core of the problem with MMOs.  You cannot have easy fast content in an MMORPG and expect people to stay for any time.  Does it have to be TBC hard?  No.  However if you can do a 25 man raid boss with 20 people dead and the other 5 people completely ignoring boss mechanics there is a major problem.  

I was in the WOD beta and the first week where I needed to CC mobs and focused killing 1 mob at a time all the way through the instances was Refreshing and great.  Yet having people who Hate doing instances posting on the Beta forums how much the instances suck and how hard they were because these same people wanted MOP 15 minute dungeon runs.  Blizzard then relented to these people now what do we have with WOD?  People bored because they can tunnel a boss, kill mobs without any threat of dying and sub in decline.  All for people who want easy fast stuff.  Telling people on these forums that tunneling a boss is not fun however having a boss like Watchkeeper Gargolmar the first boss in Ramparts is more enjoyable because back in BC you would CC one or both of the bosses healers, kill the boss then the healers one at a time is more enjoyable.  Then being told screw off them days are gone and that boss fight is too much work.  Guess what this is why I left WOW and why I play FFXIV, because you cannot tunnel vision bosses in the game.  You have to do the mechanic or die.  

WOW's days are over.  They continue to listen to people who DO not like the game and just want an easy welfare like game. 

So I assume you've cleared all the Mythic raid content?

Five man leveling content is not indicative of the highest level of challenge offered at endgame. Not sure why so many people seem to have an issue grasping this extremely simple premise.

Claiming that the game is too easy when you, and most other people included among the current subscriber pool, have never even attempted the hardest content the game has to offer is about as contradictory and discrediting a statement as anyone could make. Unfortunately this trend has become commonplace over the years, as those with an axe to grind about the game desperately look for ways to belittle and downplay the content offered.

The title of this article is rather offensive and classless as well. "Warlords turns to Borelords", are you serious right now?

I would think that the writers on this site would have a little more respect for the company that revolutionized the mmorpg genre, single handedly carrying it from the dregs of electronic suburbia and thrusting it into the arena (no pun intended) of mainstream PC gaming, then dominating the industry for the next decade.

They've made the barrier for entry into the hardest content the game has to offer easier than ever to get passed, but only the most hardcore even bother to make the effort. That doesn't silence the complainers though! They'll still throw a tantrum about the difficulty being "too easy" even though they'll never see the "hard mode" and have no intention of even trying to participate in it.

As an example, lets take a look at the numbers for Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4797-Armory-Stats-Highmaul-and-Blackrock-Foundry-Blue-Tweets-Heroes-Map-Rift-Wardrobe

As you can see, roughly 12.5% of players (on an account based level, not individual characters) have killed Blackhand in normal, 9.8% in heroic and 0.4% in mythic difficulty.

The real problem here are the players, who find themselves asking the question "If I got what i needed, then why progress?". These players run LFR and Norm, never making it any further, and having zero intention of ever seeing the hardest content. Those same players then spill over onto popular forums and complain about the game being too easy, perpetuating an ever revolving oxymoron of almost unfathomable proportions.

The game has been this way ever since vanilla. On one hand you have people who have never experienced all of the available content, yet claim the content available is too easy. On the other you have people who have directly experienced all of the content, who know for a fact how difficult the hardest available content actually is, trying to convince the rest of the populace about the level of difficulty.

Haters gonna hate, that is never going to change. However, the reality is that the game is too hard for the majority of the populace and the metrics gathered accentuate that fact.

Only raiders should get challenges, right? That's rubbish.

OT:

Here's a few personal issues adding up to why WoD sucks:

- Garrisons takes a lot of time, and completely ruins everything for people who loves to have a lot of alts

- Content locked behind walls that takes forever to get past

- Achievements requires specific buildings, a nightmare for those who loves achievements but hates having tons of alts

- No flying mounts in Draenor. It's coming, but for me, it comes far too late.

- Grind, grind, grind

- To much focus on Pokemon garbage (pet battles, of course)

- etc, etc, etc

Been a subscriber since June 2005 (with a few short breaks), but after a decade, I'm done with it. Don't know if I'll ever return, but it will require a lot to lure me back.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Garrisons were a massive flop :-(

I really enjoyed them. I counter your flop and call a draw! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Well, some people do but there are far more Wow players that tired of them in weeks so it is still a flop. A success is when they add something the majority of the players like, like the new character models.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I would like to see the numbers that the majority of the players do not like them and some analysis including how many in the dislike category already had a negative opinion of the game.

By your standards Eve is a flop.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The problem of WoD is that Blizzard set focus on attracting people that usually wouldn't play a mmorpg -and in the process alienating the mmorpg crowd.

"ships that can fail at missions with anything below 100% success rate" -Missions can even fail and make you lose a ship at 100%. The biggest failure in this is but again on Blizzard.

I can't wait for the subs to drop to 5mio and below, but then Blizzard will find a way to again tweak numbers i guess.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Loke666

Well, some people do but there are far more Wow players that tired of them in weeks so it is still a flop. A success is when they add something the majority of the players like, like the new character models.

meh, I have seen no links or stats to this statement. IMHO it's about even.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Blizzard needs to make a MMO in the Starcraft universe.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

As far as I am concerned that is your personal opinion.  I like the Garrisons and until you can provide actual numbers from Blizzard then I will say it is also a draw at worst.

• RokzRokz Member UncommonPosts: 7

Long time player for the first few years of WoWs life, I've bought all expansions and the last one WoD I bought and played for a few hours and never even hit level cap. I'm actually finished with this game, has seriously LOST the ability to keep me interested.

I am pretty OCD and there is just TOOOO MANY things to manage. Bring back simplicity and a bit of a challenge any day.

If it ever goes F2P then I'll definitely come back, but for now the game is definitely NOT worth Subscription, Cost Of Expansions & Micro Transactions.

Or announce a new MMO. Diablo MMO, WoW 2, Warcraft MMO Isometric Style or just something to look forward too.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

for everyone asking for WOW 2, most 2's have been horrible in comparison to their predeccessors

AC2, EQ2, GW2, all not even close to the originals

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

blizz did everything but raids wrong with WoD ....people like to raid , but the raid or die mentality is over even for raiders (i play mmorpgs to raid , but come on a mmorpg cant live with just that!)

btw raids we need something FUN to do , because once the raid is over for the week then what? i dont pay a monthly sub to play 4 days (raid reset day...)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

As far as I am concerned that is your personal opinion.  I like the Garrisons and until you can provide actual numbers from Blizzard then I will say it is also a draw at worst.

We only have one number so far - the 2.9M sub drop. Is it fair to say that garrisons are to blame? I don't think so. However:

• As someone on the official forums said Timeless Isles could have had a bad reception in MoP. It didn't because it was just a small part of MoP and if you didn't like it you could basically ignore it.
    • Garrisons are a huge part of WoD. And doing garrison missions over and over and over again with all the grind and tedium that that entails is "mandatory". If this doesn't appeal its game over.

In a few weeks time (Aug4th) we will have the Q2 number - good, bad or indifferent. It will include people who were hanging on  for 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 (whoops!) and maybe it got a boost from tokens. Maybe. As Suzie Ford says above though when the Q3 numbers roll around - well if the forums and blog posts are indicative it will not be good; there is so much that people are unhappy with - not just garrisons. But hey maybe garrisons - and by extension WoD - have been really popular outside NA and the EU; I doubt it though people are basically the same the world over.