Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this even worth a sub for a coh vet?

moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
I tried it briefly and was not impressed with the visuals of powers at all they are very small and kind of remind me of dcs weaker looking visuals, but the classless system sounds appealing and I hear you can change the colors of your powers to. Also it seemed the combat was a bit slow and clunky to much deleay between attacks and such.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Its Free to try...go see for yourself. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Yep... that.  Find a free powerset that you like and try it out.  It's certainly no slower moving than CoH, but that doesn't mean you'll like combat any more or less.

For me, the fact that it lacks the power customization that CoH's enhancements brought to the table makes it an inferior game just in itself.  But you should try it and decide for yourself.

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    So did you guys like only read the topic? I mentioned I have tried it and asked something.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by moonbound
    So did you guys like only read the topic? I mentioned I have tried it and asked something.

No you didn't.

I tried it briefly and was not impressed with the visuals of powers at all they are very small and kind of remind me of dcs weaker looking visuals, but the classless system sounds appealing and I hear you can change the colors of your powers to. Also it seemed the combat was a bit slow and clunky to much deleay between attacks and such.

There isn't a single question in this post. Its just you saying how much you didn't like it.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Simple answer. No it is not worth a sub to you. YOu did not like the game and nothing you pay for will make it better in the areas you did not like. 

So skip the sub option for this game. 

This have been a good conversation

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Don't think it's worth it.   I certainly had it with their non-existent support.   Friends were going to try it out, but I needed to contact PWI/Cryptic to re-activate my account.   Multiple attempts to get help without a peep from them back.   Six weeks later, my friends had already given up on it.    While YMMV, it  did not impress.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

I really thought I worded it differently but people need to stop being so defensive the least you could of done is corrected me if im somehow wrong about the combat, maybe it changes later for all I know you guys just gave up and said no its not for you.
    Originally posted by Velocinox

No you didn't.

There isn't a single question in this post. Its just you saying how much you didn't like it.

And yea I did say I tried it.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I really thought I worded it differently but people need to stop being so defensive the least you could of done is corrected me if im somehow wrong about the combat, maybe it changes later for all I know you guys just gave up and said no its not for you.

You would probably do better if you didn't come off as though you hate the game and like another game better, makes you seem very trollish and that you are attempting a flame thread.

Personally I like Champions Online ALOT better than DC Universe as it's a game I can survive and create my own custom superhero with tons of options and mechanics in and enjoy a good balanced challenge while DC Universe goes from easy mode to have to group with people or you die mode, not nearly as much flexibility or forgiveability in its gameplay, plus the f2p model is much more giving and forgiving.

Champions Online can VERY much be played for free and the only true reason to subscibe would be if you want to create free form characters, receive monthly vanity rewards, store stipend and various other benefits, though it seems you should already know this since you played?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Was somebody defensive?  I honestly missed it.  Have yet to see anybody even say it IS worth it and say their piece.  Most folks so far have indicated some shade of "no", including me.  Why would they be defensive of a game they aren't into?

• giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106

Back when I played it, Champions Online was a lot better *with* a subscription, mostly due to the costume creator. For powers, I actually preferred the archetypes, which I thought had better PVP than the freeforms.

My recommendation -- if you want to craft unique superheroes with unique looks that don't suck, subscribe. But don't subscribe just for freeform powers. They are not all that.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by apocoluster

making your own powerset and customizing stuff is WAHAAAAAY more fun tho :)

i remember it from pre-f2p.... which was most likely beta then. no idea anymore.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

For the record I hate dc from the art style to its shallow combat to the limited skill set for having one class and not many choices in powers, the visuals of the powers.

Anyways your also locked out of most powers not subbed but ill keep trying it.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Braindome

[..] Champions Online can VERY much be played for free and the only true reason to subscibe would be if you want to create free form characters, receive monthly vanity rewards, store stipend and various other benefits, though it seems you should already know this since you played.

This. They weren't defensive or gave up or anything, simply CO's model is pretty much free, and if you don't like the game in the first place ("not impressed with the visuals" and "the combat was a bit slow and clunky" in the OP), subscribing won't change anything in those aspects.

The main boon of subscribing (besides the fluff) is the Freeform (and don't get me wrong, I personally LOVE Freeform, that's why I switched to CO from CoH when it launched back in the days image). But Freeform could only help you, if after checking the game you more or less like it. It won't give you better visuals, or faster / less clunky combat, since the mechanics are the same. Not to mention, nowadays you can buy Freeform on a character slot basis (it was on sale earlier for 25ish buck), so you don't even need to subscribe for that.

In short, CoH vet or not, it only worths to subscribe CO if you really like the game and want to play for a longer period. Based on the OP, it's not the case :) so nope, not worth it for you, playing as f2p is more than enough.

Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Braindome

[..] Champions Online can VERY much be played for free and the only true reason to subscibe would be if you want to create free form characters, receive monthly vanity rewards, store stipend and various other benefits, though it seems you should already know this since you played.

This. They weren't defensive or gave up or anything, simply CO's model is pretty much free, and if you don't like the game in the first place ("not impressed with the visuals" and "the combat was a bit slow and clunky" in the OP), subscribing won't change anything in those aspects.

The main boon of subscribing (besides the fluff) is the Freeform (and don't get me wrong, I personally LOVE Freeform, that's why I switched to CO from CoH when it launched back in the days image). But Freeform could only help you, if after checking the game you more or less like it. It won't give you better visuals, or faster / less clunky combat, since the mechanics are the same. Not to mention, nowadays you can buy Freeform on a character slot basis (it was on sale earlier for 25ish buck), so you don't even need to subscribe for that.

In short, CoH vet or not, it only worths to subscribe CO if you really like the game and want to play for a longer period. Based on the OP, it's not the case :) so nope, not worth it for you, playing as f2p is more than enough.

Well I was hoping maybe cooldowns shorten or you get more attack speed or something as its a super hero game and all, the travel powers are fast paces so why not? Anyways im giving it a longer try to make sure.:) It seems to be the only true super hero game out at the moment. I also meant the powers so far seemed small in the visuals department I cannot say I really have an issue with the actual art style of the game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Well I was hoping maybe cooldowns shorten or you get more attack speed or something as its a super hero game and all, the travel powers are fast paces so why not? Anyways im giving it a longer try to make sure.:) It seems to be the only true super hero game out at the moment. I also meant the powers so far seemed small in the visuals department I cannot say I really have an issue with the actual art style of the game.

A good plan to give it a longer try, the whole game is accessible for f2p so you can test all the mechanics and checking everything. There's a mild form or cooldown reduction as you level up, in form of stat increase (Intelligence I think). But of course if your selected archetype doesn't have Int. among their superstats, it will be a bit difficult to raise it...

Anyways, after a playthrough (or at least with leveling above 20ish, to see most mechanics) you can make a better call on subscription, whether Freeform worths it for you or not. Above the Freeform there's not much in the sub, you'll have more travel powers available, more costume options (but still not everything, some are up to purchase), more character slots and cash limit and inventory (but those are also in the Store for f2p folks).

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Let me tell you this and listen carefully, because Marvel heroes is the only superhuman/villain game that actually feels like a real superman mmo.

Let me explain it to you.

DC universe online just seem super limited even if you sub and it's very casual and you have few option and choices in DCU. Also the game can be played for free and it ain't so bad except that its a very big filesize even on ps3. The combat is extremely MEH!

Champions Online seems alot to be a game very similar to City of heroes except that the combat is alittle more meh than COH. You can take down clusters of mobs although quite slow that it feels like your not even a mutant, after killing like 10000 mobs in this game while leveling it get's old, repetitive and super boring and while the game seems less limitied than COH, it just means that it's quite upt o you that if you like combat close to COH but it seems quite dated and not tieless. Even though some older games revitalized their gameplay champions online never did that much but they made alot of patches but really the game is a console port and causual not very deep gameplay.

The reason I wanna include Marvel is simple. While it's not really a MMORPG its it is a MMOARPG wich really explains that the diablo games weren't made in vain. The game is longer than diablo 3, with new things adde and stuff and the game is so much better than the start in 2014.

However each of the 3 get's boring after awhile but it you look for games that are easy to get into and doesn't really get's more deeper look no further than those.