Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for a STO2?

2

Comments

  • SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46

    I agree with others when they say, any new game must open the door to a huge sandbox, and have CIVs as part of the universe. Don't force everyone into the Federation or any faction.

    That being said, if you do pick to join the faction, then you need to do the academy stuff, and then join one of the mega ships or starbase. Once your a captain rank, then you gain control of your own ship. One that would be a small layout vs the mega ship, but still can be one of the bigger ships of the fleet.

    I also still think 3 faction is a must to start with any new game, and go from there if there is a need to add more.

  • Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Star Trek Bridge Commander needs a sequel with multiplayer
    Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,538
    Originally posted by SirCedric

    I agree with others when they say, any new game must open the door to a huge sandbox, and have CIVs as part of the universe. Don't force everyone into the Federation or any faction.

    That being said, if you do pick to join the faction, then you need to do the academy stuff, and then join one of the mega ships or starbase. Once your a captain rank, then you gain control of your own ship. One that would be a small layout vs the mega ship, but still can be one of the bigger ships of the fleet.

    I also still think 3 faction is a must to start with any new game, and go from there if there is a need to add more.

    3 factions is far too few for a Star Trek game. You also have factions/races such as the Ferengi, the Cardassians, tbh, quite a few more besides. Having major factions and smaller 'race orientated' factions is more appropriate.image

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 15,988

    I thought they did such a terrible job that no way would i even consider it unless a big name developer made it.

    I was so turned off i quit the game about 10 minutes in.First i saw the repeated models,i thought are you kidding me,that is cheap,then i got to an elevator that didn't function it was just a warp door.Right away between graphics and a cheap looking game i knew this was going to be a real weak effort so i logged out for good.

    I was really stoked to play STO as well as SWTOR but both games disappointed me really bad,Swtor kept me for a month though both games seemed like they were just cashing in on the IP name.

    Cryptic is not alone, 99% of these developers are just trying to cash in to make money,i see very little passion in game design from most developers.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

    Star Trek Online gets so much hate, I disagree with the hate but understand why it is there. Firstly I grew up on ST:TNG and I am so happy this game is in this verse not the rebooted one.  I wish they had expanded on the few diplomatic missions that I had come across but I understand action is what drives most games.

    This game has been one of the few mmos that I return to. It is a great casual mmo with a free to play model that isnt bad at all.

     

  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by aSynchro
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

    I want to play in the Star Trek universe what do i mean by that, I dont want to be forced playing a toon in starfleet, If I want to be a trader I should be able to do that, If i want to play a pirate I should be able to do that, If i want to be a crafter and a seller of ships I want to be able to do that, If i want to be an exporer and sell my findings to which ever goverment I would be able to do that.

    I want a open Star Trek Universe that feels alive were I can live in and do my own thing and not being forced in joining starfeel or romulans or kdf.

     

    Indeed, STO copied WoW themepark style and it failed hard.

    A new MMORPG should be a sandbox with stuff from Eve Online, but with less focus on PvP and tons of new diplomatic/politic tools.

    Players could be part of starfleet but also create colonies on their own, manage trade routes, organize alliances, set up a casino on a space-station or just try to survive one more day on an hostile planete because your ship crash there and your radio is broken.

    SWG failed even harder with the mighty STAR WARS ip, so i wouldnt hold my breath on that one

    the consequence: EA got the IP, and they made one of the most linear themeparks in history

    if you really are serious, you shoud prolly try the SWG emulator

    sandbox is getting rarer, as the community is getting even more toxic

  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,253
    Originally posted by Margrave
    Can we get Earth and Beyond 2? How about EnB just come back with a new engine? Please?

    OMG i would so love this. Its a shame the game is just wasting away in EA's vault.

  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Hariken said:
    Originally posted by Margrave
    Can we get Earth and Beyond 2? How about EnB just come back with a new engine? Please?

    OMG i would so love this. Its a shame the game is just wasting away in EA's vault.

    there is an emulator for the old E&B, its about as stable ,as the original game was
    after 2 weeks i went back to STO

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    simplius said:
    Originally posted by Loke666

    No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.

    The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). 

    Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

    a big mmo with only one hero? that would become a single player game very fast

    who would pay a sub, to follow orders from another player? would you?

    Spock, McCoy, Sulu and Scotty ain't heroes?
    There is a multiplayer game that already have this just right: https://www.quintet.us/. There you and 4 friends crew a ship together and it is the perfect number to make things interesting. No-one needs to play the janitor after all.

    As for paying a sub to follow orders, havn't you ever followed the order from a raid leader?

    This is the same as grouping with guildies, if you have a permanent crew or if you get guildies and PUGs and switch positions should be up to the player. But a game where everyone if bloody captain Kirk doesn't work, Cryptic have already proven that and it certainly don't have the Star craft feeling.

    And, no. I don't mind being a pilot or a weapons officer as long as I don't have a totally retarded captain who doesn't understand tactics. And who is best for which position is something my guild would figure out fast.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited August 2015
    simplius said:

    SWG failed even harder with the mighty STAR WARS ip, so i wouldnt hold my breath on that one

    the consequence: EA got the IP, and they made one of the most linear themeparks in history

    if you really are serious, you shoud prolly try the SWG emulator

    sandbox is getting rarer, as the community is getting even more toxic

    No, it didn't. SWG was actually the largest MMO in the west for a few months with 450K players. STO might had more during it's first month but it never had close to the percentage of active MMOers as SWG had.

    It had plenty of flaws and was on the way down before the NGE killed it but STO failed far worse. At least we do remember SWG for it's good crafting system, STO isn't really remembered for anything.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Loke666 said:
    simplius said:
    Originally posted by Loke666

    No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.

    The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). 

    Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

    a big mmo with only one hero? that would become a single player game very fast

    who would pay a sub, to follow orders from another player? would you?

    Spock, McCoy, Sulu and Scotty ain't heroes?
    There is a multiplayer game that already have this just right: https://www.quintet.us/. There you and 4 friends crew a ship together and it is the perfect number to make things interesting. No-one needs to play the janitor after all.

    As for paying a sub to follow orders, havn't you ever followed the order from a raid leader?

    This is the same as grouping with guildies, if you have a permanent crew or if you get guildies and PUGs and switch positions should be up to the player. But a game where everyone if bloody captain Kirk doesn't work, Cryptic have already proven that and it certainly don't have the Star craft feeling.

    And, no. I don't mind being a pilot or a weapons officer as long as I don't have a totally retarded captain who doesn't understand tactics. And who is best for which position is something my guild would figure out fast.
    spock is, the rest are not main characters
    you would make it a niche game, most of the market now are solo and PUG players with little, or no cooperation
    niche game=niche budget= F2P/P2W
    would you still play that?
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Loke666 said:
    simplius said:

    SWG failed even harder with the mighty STAR WARS ip, so i wouldnt hold my breath on that one

    the consequence: EA got the IP, and they made one of the most linear themeparks in history

    if you really are serious, you shoud prolly try the SWG emulator

    sandbox is getting rarer, as the community is getting even more toxic

    No, it didn't. SWG was actually the largest MMO in the west for a few months with 450K players. STO might had more during it's first month but it never had close to the percentage of active MMOers as SWG had.

    It had plenty of flaws and was on the way down before the NGE killed it but STO failed far worse. At least we do remember SWG for it's good crafting system, STO isn't really remembered for anything.
    the market was completely different back then , and as soon, as the big panda entered the arena, everything changed
    yes, sto failed worse, BUT THEY ACTUALLY "RECOVERED"
    STO has the best space combat i have ever seen in in mmos, im sure many people agree

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    simplius said:
    Loke666 said:
    Spock, McCoy, Sulu and Scotty ain't heroes?
    There is a multiplayer game that already have this just right: https://www.quintet.us/. There you and 4 friends crew a ship together and it is the perfect number to make things interesting. No-one needs to play the janitor after all.

    As for paying a sub to follow orders, havn't you ever followed the order from a raid leader?

    This is the same as grouping with guildies, if you have a permanent crew or if you get guildies and PUGs and switch positions should be up to the player. But a game where everyone if bloody captain Kirk doesn't work, Cryptic have already proven that and it certainly don't have the Star craft feeling.

    And, no. I don't mind being a pilot or a weapons officer as long as I don't have a totally retarded captain who doesn't understand tactics. And who is best for which position is something my guild would figure out fast.
    spock is, the rest are not main characters
    you would make it a niche game, most of the market now are solo and PUG players with little, or no cooperation
    niche game=niche budget= F2P/P2W
    would you still play that?
    I don't agree with that. And don't confuse the regular MMO market with the actual millions of trekkies, a Star trek MMO needs to be for them or it will fail. Any space MMO with traditional mechanics tend to be niche to some degree since it is fantasy that is the mainstream MMO players choice anyways so focusing on a game for MMOers will do badly whatever you do.

    A good Star trek MMO have the potential to pull in many new people who never played a MMO before, just like Blizzard did with the Warcraft fans when Wow released. Now, there werent 13 million Warcraft fans but Wow got started with pulling them in and then started to roll.

    Besides, any Cryptic game is niche with F2P/P2W so if they made STO 2 that would be exactly what you would get. Don't think that they would get more players then Neverwinter.

    Both STO and WAR failed to attract the fans of the actual IP and instead focus on getting general MMOers.

    And yes, you could still add solomissions to a game like this. You could add bots filling out your crew as an option as well like Guildwars did if you want to attract soloers but you must be able to attract the trekkies and STO failed that part badly. Quintet have far more trekkies playing it than STO ever had and it really isn't even put in the same IP, it just capture the soul of the IP better.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,498
    Loke666 said:
    No, it didn't. SWG was actually the largest MMO in the west for a few months with 450K players. 
    Source...?

    Loke666 said:
    I don't agree with that. And don't confuse the regular MMO market with the actual millions of trekkies, a Star trek MMO needs to be for them or it will fail. Any space MMO with traditional mechanics tend to be niche to some degree since it is fantasy that is the mainstream MMO players choice anyways so focusing on a game for MMOers will do badly whatever you do.

    A good Star trek MMO have the potential to pull in many new people who never played a MMO before, just like Blizzard did with the Warcraft fans when Wow released. Now, there werent 13 million Warcraft fans but Wow got started with pulling them in and then started to roll.

    Besides, any Cryptic game is niche with F2P/P2W so if they made STO 2 that would be exactly what you would get. Don't think that they would get more players then Neverwinter.

    Both STO and WAR failed to attract the fans of the actual IP and instead focus on getting general MMOers.

    And yes, you could still add solomissions to a game like this. You could add bots filling out your crew as an option as well like Guildwars did if you want to attract soloers but you must be able to attract the trekkies and STO failed that part badly. Quintet have far more trekkies playing it than STO ever had and it really isn't even put in the same IP, it just capture the soul of the IP better.
    I am curious to know more about your metrics you use to figure out how "STO failed to attract trekkies"...

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Gdemami said:
    Source...?
    I am curious to know more about your metrics you use to figure out how "STO failed to attract trekkies"...

    Smedley said it in an interview, I would link to it but the page doesn't seems to exist anymore. Wikipedia however states that in had sold a million copies in early 2005. Steamspy report that sales of STO is just over a million copies (1,099,515 ± 26,269) proving the exact same point. The games had about the same amount of players but with 10 years between them and the MMO market have grow a lot in that time making STO having far less of the total MMO players.

    As for STOs reception with trekkies there are plenty of it online including from people like Spoony and Angry Joe. And even if all STO players were trekkies 1.1M is just a small portion of them and that is how many who made an account. And far from everyone who tried STO is a trekkie, make a thread with voting if you don't believe me.

    Before launch however there was a lot of talk about it in the trekkie community.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,498
    edited August 2015
    Loke666 said:
    Smedley said it in an interview, I would link to it but the page doesn't seems to exist anymore. Wikipedia however states that in had sold a million copies in early 2005. Steamspy report that sales of STO is just over a million copies (1,099,515 ± 26,269) proving the exact same point. The games had about the same amount of players but with 10 years between them and the MMO market have grow a lot in that time making STO having far less of the total MMO players.

    As for STOs reception with trekkies there are plenty of it online including from people like Spoony and Angry Joe. And even if all STO players were trekkies 1.1M is just a small portion of them and that is how many who made an account. And far from everyone who tried STO is a trekkie, make a thread with voting if you don't believe me.

    Before launch however there was a lot of talk about it in the trekkie community.
    Ah, so it is safe to assume at very best it is your completely baseless assumption you made up.

    I was just curious, not surprised though...


    I am really wondering, why do you people make those things up?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Gdemami said:
    Ah, so it is safe to assume at very best it is your completely baseless assumption you made up.

    I was just curious, not surprised though...
    Hardly, the sales numbers of SWG is official and STOs are at least semi official.  Of course if you can show us some numbers from STO with 3 million copies or something things would be different  but the game never did that well.

    The 450K numbers have been discussed on and off on this forum, but yeah, they might be wrong.  Overall sales numbers aren't.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,498
    Loke666 said:
    Hardly, the sales numbers of SWG is official and STOs are at least semi official.  Of course if you can show us some numbers from STO with 3 million copies or something things would be different  but the game never did that well.

    The 450K numbers have been discussed on and off on this forum, but yeah, they might be wrong.  Overall sales numbers aren't.
    Where am I arguing sale numbers?

    Your claim of "450k SWG subs" and "STO failing to attract trekkies" are completely unfounded.


    Honestly, why do you say that, passing it as facts even, when it is lacking any sort of backing? 
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    edited August 2015
    Loke666 said:
    Gdemami said:
    Source...?
    I am curious to know more about your metrics you use to figure out how "STO failed to attract trekkies"...

    Smedley said it in an interview, I would link to it but the page doesn't seems to exist anymore. Wikipedia however states that in had sold a million copies in early 2005. Steamspy report that sales of STO is just over a million copies (1,099,515 ± 26,269) proving the exact same point. The games had about the same amount of players but with 10 years between them and the MMO market have grow a lot in that time making STO having far less of the total MMO players.

    As for STOs reception with trekkies there are plenty of it online including from people like Spoony and Angry Joe. And even if all STO players were trekkies 1.1M is just a small portion of them and that is how many who made an account. And far from everyone who tried STO is a trekkie, make a thread with voting if you don't believe me.

    Before launch however there was a lot of talk about it in the trekkie community.
    smedley has said many things in interviews . much of it was BS
    its actually a good thing for mmos , if they can attract players from other interests, diversity is sorely needed
    [mod edit]
    wich is the bigger failure?
    Post edited by Amana on
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,612
    edited August 2015
    I am sure we can all agree on the fact that SWG failed because it launched in alpha code, the community made the content and atmosphere, but the game itself was horribly mismanaged from start to finish for various reasons.

    Not even going into detail about the treatment of paying customers here.
    I could fill 100 pages of "what not to do" lines here.

    For STO: it never caught me although I like the ST:TNG universe timeline, but it never felt as a MMO to me.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,253
    Margrave said:
    Can we get Earth and Beyond 2? How about EnB just come back with a new engine? Please?
    EA has this game safely locked away collecting dust. They would never let someone buy it for fear that it would make money. They won't even talk about it. Its like it never happened.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 15,988
    I almost quit STO in the first 10 minutes and did delete it after 30 minutes it was that bad.SO if the same developer is going to make a sequel then HELL NO !!

    If a new and better developer wants to pay the licensing fee and make a great game then yes i was a huge star trek fan growing up in my younger days.I predict that nothing would would come from a STO sequel so best to let it die and forget about a once great IP.

    This is a terrible era in gaming,Zombie games thousands of them,Game of Thrones set to come out,tons of crap games just riding the current trends on TV series.I don't watch much TV at all so i can't predict the next wave of games to follow popular IP's.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,821
    I did quit STO in first few minutes and it was permanently delted......STO was about as bad of a MMO as I had seen...Very disappointing.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,821
    I did quit STO in first few minutes and it was permanently deleted......STO was about as bad of a MMO as I had seen...Very disappointing.

  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Caldrin said:
    Originally posted by Loke666

    No way, Cryptic have gotten their chance with the IP. A Star trek MMO should be made for trekkies and be about playing with your friends on a single ship.

    The most important thing about a MMO is to now your fanbase (like Blizzard did with Wow). 

    Cryptic would succeed better with another Forgotten realms MMO instead, they are way harder to botch up.

    I see qutie a few people going on about playing on a single ship with other people..  but how would that work..

     

    So you have the captian that gives orders ? err might be ok

    A pilot guy who flys around.. yeah great..

    A weapons guy.. yup fun here..

    A comms guy... err wow awesome

    A science guy .. oo scanning

    A engineer .. fixes broken things..

     

    Other than the pilot and the gunner i cant see the rest being that fun..

    I have to wonder how it would work if the captain etc weren't online or crashed at a crucial moment?
Sign In or Register to comment.