Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leatrix Latency fix is the best thing ever

KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

I put this in about 3 months ago, and it seriously makes ARR a much much more enjoyable game 

Gone are the days of me getting caught in AOE that I was sure I moved out of, or delayed casts, it just makes the whole game feel much more snappy and responsive.

If you enjoy FFXIV, then I would strongly suggest you install this little freebie and send a thank you mail to Leatrix 

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    When first started end game I was blaming the game lag or delay for getting hit as I tried several times I figured it wasn't the lag/delay but me moving of the red area late waiting for my skills to end. Now I never get hit by the aoe red areas as I move right away so it's not that it's the skill of the player and all it is it's muscle reflexes nothing else. When I see players blaming lag/delay I know right away they are new to that specific fight or end game in general.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by SoloAnything
    When first started end game I was blaming the game lag or delay for getting hit as I tried several times I figured it wasn't the lag/delay but me moving of the red area late waiting for my skills to end. Now I never get hit by the aoe red areas as I move right away so it's not that it's the skill of the player and all it is it's muscle reflexes nothing else. When I see players blaming lag/delay I know right away they are new to that specific fight or end game in general.

I am one of those new players. Me and my friend kept getting hit by aoe until we realized we had to move out of the zone as soon as the skill would be shown on the ground. Moving away just a bit later even though the skill isn't shown as executed yet will result in a hit.

That is called delay and that is what the OP wants to help with.

Harbinger of Fools
  • MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    the delay in the AOEs is why I had to stop playing.  I am in Western Australia and the internet is absolutely horrid.  There was a good 2 second delay between what I was seeing and what the game was seeing.  even if I moved as soon as the indicator popped up I was still dead.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I am one of those new players. Me and my friend kept getting hit by aoe until we realized we had to move out of the zone as soon as the skill would be shown on the ground. Moving away just a bit later even though the skill isn't shown as executed yet will result in a hit.

That is called delay and that is what the OP wants to help with.

Exactly, I used to do Titan EX prior to installing this fix, and I did Titan EX after installing it, and I can tell you it made a difference, the whole game just feels a bit more responsive.  And yes I get a bit more time to re-act to AOEs so I now never get hit by them either, where as before I would get hit by about 20-30%

So I am happy for SoloAnything that they are so pro this doesnt affect them, I have friends who play from Australia, I personally play from Ireland, and I know that there is an issue, it made things better.  Try it or dont thats fine, but it does make the game much more responsive, the difference for me even on a good Fiber Optic connection with low latency was profound.   

This fix will help people where as being told by SoloAnything they are just "Bad" might help if it is down to badness, if there is a latency issue, this will help.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Kothoses

I put this in about 3 months ago, and it seriously makes ARR a much much more enjoyable game 

Gone are the days of me getting caught in AOE that I was sure I moved out of, or delayed casts, it just makes the whole game feel much more snappy and responsive.

If you enjoy FFXIV, then I would strongly suggest you install this little freebie and send a thank you mail to Leatrix 

I two have used http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix with my wife and 2 friends.  It does work well.  It just adjusts TCP/IP settings of your NIC card to make responses to packets faster and still send packets when you are not getting a response from the server.  

I didn't say I was pro I said I use to get hit all the times and you master it cause all it is it's muscle memory but people that don't learn still blame delay or whatnot instead of learning. 

What I was saying was I use to get hit all the time and now I don't tcp/ip or whatever settings you adjust was not my fix. Also making threads about third party programs or whatever it is you using is against most games rules.

Some use battleping and mentioned that on ffxiv forum and got banned. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Maybe im not getting the message here but.... You can avoid getting hit by AoE if you get out of the telegraph before the second layer of color fills the telegraph.

I dont know if its specifically an end game issue but i havent had bad latency from lvl 1 to 44.

But if a latency fix works for you then thats cool. Playing with lag is a nightmare.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Maybe im not getting the message here but.... You can avoid getting hit by AoE if you get out of the telegraph before the second layer of color fills the telegraph.

I dont know if its specifically an end game issue but i havent had bad latency from lvl 1 to 44.

But if a latency fix works for you then thats cool. Playing with lag is a nightmare.

Yes its an end game issue mostly like he mentioned Titan for example you have to move asap out of the aoe move you'll know soon and as all of us 1st few times you will blame lag and latency trust me all do. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by danwest58

I two have used http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix with my wife and 2 friends.  It does work well.  It just adjusts TCP/IP settings of your NIC card to make responses to packets faster and still send packets when you are not getting a response from the server.  

don't think you understand how those things work tbh, and one thing i would definitely not recommend, is allowing a 3rd party program to adjust your TCP/IP settings, sorry but the program your talking about just sounds dodgy, the only way to improve latency, is to physically move closer to the server, that and using ethernet instead of wireless to connect to your router, everything else is pretty much down to how congested your IP provider happens to be.

As to Leatrix, my advice would be to uninstall it and do a thorough virus scan of your system.image

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Phry

don't think you understand how those things work tbh, and one thing i would definitely not recommend, is allowing a 3rd party program to adjust your TCP/IP settings, sorry but the program your talking about just sounds dodgy, the only way to improve latency, is to physically move closer to the server, that and using ethernet instead of wireless to connect to your router, everything else is pretty much down to how congested your IP provider happens to be.

As to Leatrix, my advice would be to uninstall it and do a thorough virus scan of your system.image

I've had Leatrix on my computers for years never had a problem with them. You've been posting on this site since 2004 and still don't know what programs/ companies are reputable. Kind of sad really.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

I used this for a while, it really made almost no difference at all for me and infact it can make problems worse because it makes more traffic.

The one thing it does do however is hammer the game servers, some companies do not like this at all.

Originally posted by Phry

Hey Phry, 

Guess what I been working in IT for 11 years.  I am a Senior Systems Engineer of a Windows Web Hosting team.  I seen a hell of a lot of shit and know when stuff like Leatrix is BS.  Not ONLY that but I did testing of a Sandbox system before I even put this on my main PC, PLUS I also understand what Leatrix is doing.  The only thing its doing is changing your NIC settings.  Which I have done dozens of times for many Applications that have issues.  Hell most people who setup Microsoft clusters with iSCSI in VMware have all kinds of issues with the iSCSI, guess what you have to change the VMXNIC3 if you dont you could have application corruption if its a Microsoft SQL database sitting on the drives over iSCSI.  Here is how you do it.  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2039495    

So dont tell me that you don't think I understand how this shit works.  Yes I do.  Leatrix basically did what I use to do about 5 to 6 years ago which I would change my NIC and TCP ACK settings.  The ONLY thing that Leatrix does is add a single registry key to your system which changes how the TCP stack will work.  

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag293/gavin58582/Capture_zpsytzag3s7.png?t=1435960127  Here is a Wireshark capture of my computer going to one of the FFXIV servers.  

Phry dont tell people they dont know what they are talking about when you do not know who they are and what they really know.  

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Wanna buy my snake oil?

This, just as other programs that promise a better ping is nothing but a placebo. There is a physical limitation to your ping based on distance and to a lesser extend switches between you and the destination. This PHYSICAL limitation can not be changed at all. 

I have worked as a Network Admin for Big companies like SONY and optimized worldwide connections to 43 countries. If we got the most direct route to the digital hubs in the target countries the increase in ping was in the range of 10-15ms. This meant connecting with as little as 4 hops from one country to the other which requires your own switches and routers on both ends and in the digital hubs. A very costly solution that is not available to anyone except very big corporations.

For example your average hop count would be around 12-20 to something like google depending how competent your provider is and what kind of infrastructure he has worldwide.

You can check your hop count by opening a command console (cmd.exe) and typing: tracert www.google.com

Do this with and without this Program and compare the values. I can guarantee you there will be no difference.

PS: Besides the point but the windows TCP/IP stack is crap and badly programmed. 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles

PS: Besides the point but the windows TCP/IP stack is crap and badly programmed. 

Yes it is.  Thats why I end up having to do a bunch of NIC and network configuration changes because of it.  When I need to change NIC settings on the VMXNET3 NIC its because how the windows IP Stack handles or well has problems handling high levels of traffic.  Hell Windows has a huge issues doing file copies of many small files because of buffering size.  I also seen many issues with iSCSI on Windows yet switch over to Fiber Channel 0 problems.  

Edit

The Core change here though is increasing the rate at which windows sends ACK with TCP protocol so it does help out the game a little bit.  It will not help out bad routes, or bad internet connections or if you need to change your MTU.  It does help with they Jack-PC did you received Titan's Action? Jack-PC goes yet got it dont need it resent.   By having faster ACK you will have a slightly better performance because for example my friend on Titan was not seeing Titan'a actions until the last second or 2.  Now he is seeing it right away because the Ack is being sent so often that the actions titan keep coming they do not stop and do a resend and ack.  

Edit again

The Ack change is a band aid for a piss poor IP stack.  

I didn't say I was pro I said I use to get hit all the times and you master it cause all it is it's muscle memory but people that don't learn still blame delay or whatnot instead of learning. 

What I was saying was I use to get hit all the time and now I don't tcp/ip or whatever settings you adjust was not my fix. Also making threads about third party programs or whatever it is you using is against most games rules.

Some use battleping and mentioned that on ffxiv forum and got banned. 

Its not a third party app, its simply an installer that alters your own Network Protocols to make your PC respond to server requests quicker rather than bundling them up.

There is nothing TOS breaking about it, infact the fix was so popular blizzard used it as a basis for the latency fix setting in wow.  Since its not an application that runs ever once you install it, its not something that will get you banned.

Seriously, read up on it mate, its just a sequence of registry changes :)

Anyway I wont argue with people over it, I installed the Leatrix and it made a world of difference, if you try it I hope it helps, if you dont I hope you still enjoy the game as much as I do.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Leatrix has been around for a long long time.

I thought it only really did anything in Windows XP, and that Vista forward these changes were incorporated into the default OS settings already? I haven't done any testing with it in a long long while.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Perhaps I'm wrong but from what I remember, doesn't Leatrix simply toggle off  Nagle's Algorithm?

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Perhaps I'm wrong but from what I remember, doesn't Leatrix simply toggle off  Nagle's Algorithm?

Nope you are wrong.

What Leatrix does is change the frequency that your machine sends TCP acknowledgements to the other end of the connection. Consider a situation where the remote host is sending a large amount of data to your machine that will require the sending of multiple data packets. Rather than sending acknowledgement for each one, the default (and generally more efficient behavior) is to wait until multiple packets are received and ACK them with a single packet. In certain specific cases (games for instance), the remote host may require an acknowledgement to the first packet before it sends the next packet. Leatrix fix configures your TCP stack to ACK each packet as soon as it's received.

Nagle is disabled by setting TCP_NoDelay.  By default, your TCP stack will hold on to an amount of data smaller than a full packet size before sending it to the destination, this is to make more efficient use of the network by sending full packets rather than a larger number of smaller packets.  Disabling Nagle tells the stack to send any data sent by an application immediately regardless if it results a full packet or not.

So Leatrix affects how data is received, Nagle affects how data is sent.

http://www.leatrix.com/latencyfaq

When I tested this I was using the Sysinternals Suite to monitor changes, the only change I seen was the 1 Registry key.  I could go back and test a few times to see if I pick something else up.  It is possible though.  

Originally posted by craftseeker

Nope you are wrong.

What Leatrix does is change the frequency that your machine sends TCP acknowledgements to the other end of the connection. Consider a situation where the remote host is sending a large amount of data to your machine that will require the sending of multiple data packets. Rather than sending acknowledgement for each one, the default (and generally more efficient behavior) is to wait until multiple packets are received and ACK them with a single packet. In certain specific cases (games for instance), the remote host may require an acknowledgement to the first packet before it sends the next packet. Leatrix fix configures your TCP stack to ACK each packet as soon as it's received.

Nagle is disabled by setting TCP_NoDelay.  By default, your TCP stack will hold on to an amount of data smaller than a full packet size before sending it to the destination, this is to make more efficient use of the network by sending full packets rather than a larger number of smaller packets.  Disabling Nagle tells the stack to send any data sent by an application immediately regardless if it results a full packet or not.

Good to know that Leatrix also does Nagle.  For years I been creating a registry key for  TCPAckFrequency for years.  I remember the very old days of DSL when MTU was 1492 and windows sent 1500 MTU packets causing a lot of dropped packets, then I would change that.  Over the years I stopped changing so many of the Network settings as my machines been always able to keep up with out issue, however  TCPAckFrequency I got use to setting.  When Leatrix came out a few years ago I started using it and its helped me with a lot of MMO's.  A later post you will see I clarified more about the TCPAckFrequency change my mind was not focused how to explain it because my mind kept coming up with iSCSI drives over VMware with the VMXNET3 NICs.  

Anyway thanks for the info o n Nagle.  I didnt think Leatrix did that yet tested Lextrix on my laptop a while ago and I could have missed this I was looking for other changes like a virus before I installed it on my desktop.  

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Last I played this game there was .3sec delay on AOE dodging that was forced by the game itself.

I played a paladin and the delay was ridiculous, you pretty much have to ignore the "graphics/animations" and watch out for the red lines because if you do not dodge or are not already moving away from them when they show up you will get hit even if the animations show you outside the red lines.

The first time you run into this issue is with brayflox end boss dragon fight, not long after I quit the game I read the delay was being reduced to .1sec but I think that was just with newer content.

I am like 1 hr away from the montreal forums and this was an issue. Take Tera for example if you dodge or block you can look at the actual animation as queues rather than any red lines but not so with FFARR.

I remember once I understood it I was able to dodge brayfloy fire breath attack just as the red lines popped up by being constantly on the move strafing right n left and you would see my char move out of the way then back into the red lines the animation would pop and I wouldn't get hit lol...on the other hand if you moved .5 secs too late even if your standing behind him, once the fire breath attack animation pops, you still get hit.

Here's an old thread about it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Wanna buy my snake oil?

This, just as other programs that promise a better ping is nothing but a placebo. There is a physical limitation to your ping based on distance and to a lesser extend switches between you and the destination. This PHYSICAL limitation can not be changed at all. 

I have worked as a Network Admin for Big companies like SONY and optimized worldwide connections to 43 countries. If we got the most direct route to the digital hubs in the target countries the increase in ping was in the range of 10-15ms. This meant connecting with as little as 4 hops from one country to the other which requires your own switches and routers on both ends and in the digital hubs. A very costly solution that is not available to anyone except very big corporations.

For example your average hop count would be around 12-20 to something like google depending how competent your provider is and what kind of infrastructure he has worldwide.

You can check your hop count by opening a command console (cmd.exe) and typing: tracert www.google.com

Do this with and without this Program and compare the values. I can guarantee you there will be no difference.

Funny thing is you remind me a guild member I had at ARR launch who researched it and swore ping reducers don't do anything, yet magically all those people in our guild who were constantly getting hit by aoes on Titan weren't anymore after they got wtfast or battleping.  I don't exactly what ping reducers do but it made one hell of a difference at ARR launch. 

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by reeereee

Wanna buy my snake oil?

Funny thing is you remind me a guild member I had at ARR launch who researched it and swore ping reducers don't do anything, yet magically all those people in our guild who were constantly getting hit by aoes on Titan weren't anymore after they got wtfast or battleping.  I don't exactly what ping reducers do but it made one hell of a difference at ARR launch. 

Some ping reducers do actually work. The ones that route your traffic through a VPN or tunnel with a more direct route than you have normally. This works for really shitty providers and in some isolated cases (mostly US players as the US seems to have a really bad IT infrastructure).

Changing ONE registry key however will not improve your ping and that is all this program does.

-/-

If you have a good provider your ping should never reach more than 133ms no matter where you ping to because that is the physically possible ping you can get for your signal if it travels 40,000 km or a trip around the globe. This is because no destination on earth can be farther away than halfway around the globe and ping measures round trips.

If you add router latency and other factors you should NEVER have significantly higher ping than 150ms. If you do then your provider is shit and you need to investigate where the bottle neck is. This is when tunnels and VPN can actually improve your ping slightly.

I hope this helps to understand how network infrastructure works.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Nope you are wrong.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation!