Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMORPG on the way out as MOBA begin to rise?

1235»

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,501

according to your logic, mankind is dieing and the apocalypse is at hand.

proof 1: declining search results on mankind: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=mankind

proof 2: rising search results on the apocalypse: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=apocalypse

totaly proven.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,164
    Originally posted by Thane

according to your logic, mankind is dieing and the apocalypse is at hand.

proof 1: declining search results on mankind: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=mankind

proof 2: rising search results on the apocalypse: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=apocalypse

totaly proven.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh in that overheated sunday afternoon !

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Helleri

But, it is just google (it's really hard to down play how all encompassing google is with a strait face. But, I am making an honest effort). So, supporting evidence? Well a while back super data research looked into the top grossing MMO's.

I would honestly like to ask why do you believe that MMORPGs and MOBAs compete for the same type of player?  

Quoting super data is only a bit worse than using wiki as being a factual source.      

they do. plain and simple.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by witchkiller

But, it is just google (it's really hard to down play how all encompassing google is with a strait face. But, I am making an honest effort). So, supporting evidence? Well a while back super data research looked into the top grossing MMO's.

I would honestly like to ask why do you believe that MMORPGs and MOBAs compete for the same type of player?  

Quoting super data is only a bit worse than using wiki as being a factual source.      

Plain and simple? or just disingenuous and obfuscated? There is no evidence that they do, and Superdata retains its reputation for dubious statements, or is that too plain and simple?image

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,359
    Mobas came, conquered and started to shut down and mmorpgs are still here.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

No they don't. I play MMO's and not mobas. There.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Muke

No they don't. I play MMO's and not mobas. There.

Which is the case most of the time, if anything MOBA's are now starting to decline, one is shutting down, and others, such as smite, are circling the drain, even the most popular MOBA, LoL appears to have plateaued and may even be showing signs of decline, while there are some new MOBA's, Splatoon etc. that appear to be gaining ground. MOBA's will remain in one form or another, but its a shifting market, far more so than MMO's are.image

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,039

I don't think it's a matter of one genre causing the demise of another - MOBAs aren't forcing MMOs out, MMOs aren't losing out to MOBAs.

I think it's a generational thing.

One generation grew up (I use that loosely, a lot of players being in their 20s/30s/beyond) with MMOs.

The next generation has grown up on MOBAs. Or FPSes, or whatever.

My mother grew up listening to Disco. I grew up listening to Alternative. My kid is growing up listening to whatever that crap on the radio is now. Same thing I think. MMOs aren't dying because of lack of innovation or evolution or anything else; heck, there are a lot of people still playing EQ 1.0 (and older games). It isn't that they aren't good anymore, it's just that they just aren't ~in~ anymore. There's a generational divide, that causes a cultural divide, and that doesn't get overcome easily.

Disco never died - neither will MMOs.