Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about the players

ikcinikcin Member UncommonPosts: 970

It seems to me there are few different kind of MMOPRG players, which behavior depends on the games they have played. Diablo type - want to kill mobs, GW type want instanced arenas, EQ type want big world, WoW type cannot imagine a game without quests, Tera type want action combat, and hate PK. I suppose none of them really want a MMORPG. And there are EVE and Lineage Classic players, who demand for MMORPG. What is the difference? First types ask for quests, NPCs, mobs, world, dev written story. Second type want the same, but also the opportunity and the freedom to play with the other players - so free competition and cooperation in immersive world with challenging mobs, smart quests and deep stories.

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 637

The truth is gamer are gamer.  I personally like everything.  I like diablo, I like skyrim, I like MOBA.  And the truth is most gamer are probably like that.  I also like to chat with people and interact with people in WoW or SWTOR.  I log on vent to chat with other guildmates in those games etc etc.

So for anyone who tell me SWTOR or WOW don't have "group content" or social interaction that is completely false.  It's just those interaction are more consensual.  In games like Eve, you are probably forced to interact with people else you won't survive.  Or you are forced to interact because other players are pking you.

But I always think MMORPG should be more than that.  It should be like what many players describe as the "world".  I should felt like I'm living in that world instead of standing in a hub waiting to do 5 man instance pvp or dungeons.  Watching animes like SAO or Log Horizon brings eyes to me.  I think that's what everyone wanted.  

But I also have a complaint about pvping and ganking in snadbox game today.  The main reason I dont' like most of the sandbox is about the full loot pvp.  Which I have no problem with if the death penalty is actually harsh.  The reality is it is not harsh even in games like Eve.  Because "everyone" is a wolf.  And everyone is actually well protected hiding behind their full warband of wolves picking on a few sheep.  If it really mimic real life or games like SAO.  You need to have real consequence.  In which it is hard to survive as a wolf.  Right now everyone is a wolf, and if they are in a large group, they'll never need to pay any consequences.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Yeah I always found it weird how 100% of the audience of 1-hour comedy specials ONLY watches 1-hour comedy specials. But thank goodness people are completely 1-dimensional in their likes and dislikes, or we wouldn't be able to make such accurate generalizations, right?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,772
    I want to breed dragons.  What group do I fit in?
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,800

People's idea of what is possible might be shaped 70% by what MMOs they have played, but not more than that.  At least some of us have the creativity to imagine MMOs different from any we've actually played.  Moreover, it's just ridiculous to consider EVE an MMORPG and WoW/EQ/GW/Tera not MMORPGs.  If you want to define some kind of ideal, narrow and specific type of MMO, that's fine, but it just causes confusion and arguing if you try to take over an old term that already has a more general meaning.

And I'd also like to breed dragons, provided we can use them as either tactical combat units or mounts after breeding them.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 27,466
    +1 for breeding dragons, but no idea what point the OP was trying to make.

"Harbinger of Failure"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I really do feel that MMORPG are a two party system for what players want. PvP and PvE players (PvE standing for Player versus Environment, as I find 'versus Monster' to not be as accurately descriptive as it could be). I think any of the concerns the OP listed can be filed under one of these two parties, as things they would be concerned about. Some time ago I even graphed this out in a two branch format. In order to clearly show the degree of this split based on how far to one side or the other a player might be. Hope this is helpful:

[Note: right click > view Image if text appears too small]

[EDIT] Actually...right after I posted that I decided to update it. Should be a little more thorough and self descriptive now vvv

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Helleri
    I really do feel that MMORPG are a two party system for what players want. PvP and PvE players (PvE standing for Player versus Environment, as I find 'versus Monster' to not be as accurately descriptive as it could be). I think any of the concerns the OP listed can be filed under one of these two parties, as things they would be concerned about. Some time ago I even graphed this out in a two branch format. In order to clearly show the degree of this split based on how far to one side or the other a player might be. Hope this is helpful: [Note: right click > view Image if text appears too small] [EDIT] Actually...right after I posted that I decided to update it. Should be a little more thorough and self descriptive now vvv 

Those charts might be accurate, but carry some weird implications.

An improvement would be to call the extremes "only interested in [PVE/PVP]" because implying a player isn't fully involved just because their interests are balanced is wrong.

In the same vein another improvement would be to flatten it, just to avoid any implication that players are sliding down to one extreme or another.  It would be a hot/cold spectrum of PVP interest vs. PVE interest with Balanced Interest in the center.

But an improvement beyond that would be to recognize that player interests aren't 1-dimensional, and create two spectrums (one for PVE interest, one for PVP interest.)  In those graphs maximum interest would be "fully involved" in that activity, and it would be possible for someone to be fully involved in both.

In acknowledging players have a distinct level of interest for each activity, we'd extend that to games too, realizing that every player's individual interest mix is going to vary, and that there are very few safe generalizations to be made (only broad game design philosophy tends to apply.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Funny thing is, even if you are a man among many, there's still only one of you.  Consider that the next time you want a game made just for you.  Reality check, they never made a single game just for you, they just made a game and you chose to play it.  Stop looking at the world as if it was made just for you.  It isn't.  It never was.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,800

It is actually quite easy to make a survey and get dozens of responses from gamers here about what they do and don't like in an MMO.  I did in fact do this.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/406778/page/1

Grouping the responses into factions or audience segments is another kettle of fish entirely though.  The results I got did not break neatly into groups.  Here are the few tentative groupings I saw though:

RE: Item systems and the economy

Group A Preferred Player owned shops and in-person-only trading, possibly regional auction houses.  They disliked other options, especially global auction houses.  Theory: these players have a general preference for things that are "in character" to the setting and things that are varied and have personal quirks rather than being standardized.  Probably includes many players who are explorers and/or roleplayers.

Group B Preferred Global auction houses and long-distance trading; neutral to in-person trading.  Disliked player owned shops.  Theory: these players have a general preference for efficiency, convenience, and organization.  Probably includes many players who are completists or focused on earning money (they want to see all available sales and make sure they get the best deal or aren't being undercut at selling).

Group X preferred PvE and playing with 4 or fewer other players (small group or solo).  Hardly anyone preferred raid dungeons/raid bosses.  These people who like solo or small group PvE tend to also like single player minigames and sim/crafting play, but tend to dislike both types of PvP.  Theory: This group dislikes either competition or intense socialization.

Group Y preferred PvP and large groups.  Pretty much no one preferred 1 v. 1 PvP.  People with a strong preference for socialization (chatting, posting, roleplay) tend to dislike sim/crafting gamelay, single player minigames, solo/small group PvE, and 1v1 PvP.  Theory: extroverts.  This group has much more tolerance for negative social interaction than introverts because some members like all social interaction regardless of whether it is positive, negative, or neutral.  At least half the group preferred positive interactions, though.

Additional conclusion: It seems like an MMO with a dual focus on PvP and crafting will either have no audience or will have two distinctly different player types that don't get along very well.  Since may of the recently-opened sandbox MMOs have PvP and crafting, these games may experience pressures to align with one group or the other, seeing the game mature into either a PvP focused game or a Crafting focused game.

Group P preferred cheerful, humorous, and romantic story content.

Group Q preferred gritty, violent, and horriffic story content.

Both groups preferred heroic fighters having adventures, though the adventures different according to the darker or lighter setting.

Things most players agreed on:

- Non-earth fantasy was the most popular setting, and semi-realistic fantasy graphics were more popular than all other types including photorealism.  People who preferred other settings might also prefer other art styles (e.g. people who preferred sci-fi settings might prefer more realistic graphics); the two seemed to correlate but the data wasn't fine-grained enough to really tell.

- Most people prefer monsters to not drop loot that monsters shouldn't have.  Most people prefer monsters to drop monster parts which are crafting mats.

- Near-human fantasy races, aliens, and kemonomimi are the most popular playable races, followed by slightly less popular actual humans.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,754
    Originally posted by Helleri
    I really do feel that MMORPG are a two party system for what players want. PvP and PvE players (PvE standing for Player versus Environment, as I find 'versus Monster' to not be as accurately descriptive as it could be). I think any of the concerns the OP listed can be filed under one of these two parties, as things they would be concerned about. Some time ago I even graphed this out in a two branch format. In order to clearly show the degree of this split based on how far to one side or the other a player might be. Hope this is helpful: [Note: right click > view Image if text appears too small] [EDIT] Actually...right after I posted that I decided to update it. Should be a little more thorough and self descriptive now vvv    

You must be an engineer.