Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a New MMORPG

ChanceCrowleyChanceCrowley Member UncommonPosts: 7

Honestly I used to play LoL but I'm tired of losing to afks and i want to get back into MMORPGS BUT....

my criteria is

1) good community of people who aren't all 16 yearold pvp junkies

2) not WoW because its too easy

3) id love to avoid tab targeting

4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus

5) I want an open world

6) i want action

7) i want a good crafting system

8) non linear skill system

9) housing would be nice

10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive

11) costumes

12) i REALLY dont wanna Pay to win

Ive played Mabinogi, tibia, Tera, Elder scrolls online, Wild star, Archage and pretty much beta tested everything before that too

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    That be a hard find, trying to think of one but all the mmo have 4 things from that list.
  • ChanceCrowleyChanceCrowley Member UncommonPosts: 7

I want more of the list though i get so bored of the themepark bullshit im an elf im blond and have an eating disorder when i hit tab then spam 1 i throw fireballs after 80 levels i through bigger ones i got 80 levels by running around and saying hi to people

its like... there isnt much to games really... like no brain work no puzzle solving no technique its go here kill x amound of creatures repeat for 40 hours of your life 

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157

Aion.... Everything is a check except it is tab targeting.

1) good community of people who aren't all 16 yearold pvp junkies - Pass

2) not WoW because its too easy - Pass

3) id love to avoid tab targeting - FAIL

4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus - Pass

5) I want an open world - Pass

6) i want action - Pass

7) i want a good crafting system - Pass

8) non linear skill system - Pass (stigmas)

9) housing would be nice - Pass

10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive - Pass All fun and games till you drop a rank

11) costumes - Pass TONS of them

12) i REALLY dont wanna Pay to win - Pass

I played Aion it was mad k grinding its like a slightly prettyer overlay for WoW >.<

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Not much grinding in Aion now days.
    I played a long time ago tbh XD but still i cant seem to find a game stimulating enough >.<  maybe i should get a new hobby
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by ChanceCrowley
    I played Aion it was mad k grinding its like a slightly prettyer overlay for WoW >.<

If your looking for an MMO with no type of grind then you're looking in the wrong genre.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I played a long time ago tbh XD but still i cant seem to find a game stimulating enough >.<  maybe i should get a new hobby

They added an Aion server with the sole purpose of cutting out the grind. This was after they had already cut most of it out of the base game to begin with. Pretty sure it's called the Fast Track server or something like that.

Steam: Neph

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    What does a non linear skill system look like?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Ex: http://www.playthepast.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Capture-d%C3%A9cran-2014-09-23-16.13.21.png

It's just a skill tree which allows for multiple paths rather than having to follow a set progression.

Steam: Neph

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I agree, you need a new hobby. I rebuild bikes, lift weights, I have a decent gun collection, mountain bike, and I still find time to game a lot. But I look at gaming as something I do when I just want to relax and kill time. Not as another full time hobby/job.

Anyway, at a minimum I recommend getting some exercise on the daily.

Good Luck.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Mabinogi let you learn every skill and build your character around every combo of skills you could think of as well Archage let you pick 3 classes and put the skill trees for each of them together for a unique-ish class

Linear is... Mage... fireball bigger fireball ice more ice lightning more lightning that kinda deal

Originally posted by Roman291

If your looking for an MMO with no type of grind then you're looking in the wrong genre.

im okay with grind as long as there is skill and its not mindnumbing like WoW i really dont like... run this dungeon 40x to roll on a single drop to get that pair of pants to complete that set now..... uhh.... now my build is complete... uhh.... shit why did i like this game

Originally posted by Hatefull

I agree, you need a new hobby. I rebuild bikes, lift weights, I have a decent gun collection, mountain bike, and I still find time to game a lot. But I look at gaming as something I do when I just want to relax and kill time. Not as another full time hobby/job.

Anyway, at a minimum I recommend getting some exercise on the daily.

Good Luck.

yeah i do all that stuff though its when work and school are done that it kills me >.<

Does the skill not get stronger though?
    Picking skills is great and i haven't played those two that you mention but every skill based game i played the skill itself was still linear. 1 2 3 beg mede expert...
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Camelot Unchained and Crowfall, sounds like games you would like. however, none of them are out yet.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Does the skill not get stronger though?

In mabi each skill  had ranks F - A and 9 -1 so F is the lowest and after A it started at 9

basically to rank a skill you used AP to get AP youd level up or age or rebirth and start over as well you need to complete the requirements usually its killing monsters who are stronger way stronger or at the same level as you are (its relative btw so if you are level 9999 good luck finding strong monsters)

when you rebirth you go back to level 1 but you keep all the AP you got (but not the stats)

but skills give you passive stats as well like music theory gives +5(each rank)  int that doesnt go away when you rebirth

currently im over level 2000 and exploration level 600

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

You say wow is too easy threadstarter. Just to clarify some things to others here is how it is.

1-58 Easy

58-80 Medium

80-100 Medium - Challenging

Now if you start out with heirlooms it goes like this

1-58 FACEROLL

58-80 Easy

80 - 100 Medium but not super challenging

So if you do dungeons at 100 Be sure to play Tank or even harder Healer.

Alot of peeps try wow and quit because they think it is all too easy and if you play Tank or Healer you double the challenge.

Also PvP is really the biggest challenge an MMO can have. People who are good at PvP are much better pve'ers. Just look at 

Everquest the PvP server Zek was the only server ever to down 'The Sleeper'.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Hothlove

You say wow is too easy threadstarter. Just to clarify some things to others here is how it is.

1-58 Easy

58-80 Medium

80-100 Medium - Challenging

Now if you start out with heirlooms it goes like this

1-58 FACEROLL

58-80 Easy

80 - 100 Medium but not super challenging

So if you do dungeons at 100 Be sure to play Tank or even harder Healer.

Alot of peeps try wow and quit because they think it is all too easy and if you play Tank or Healer you double the challenge.

Also PvP is really the biggest challenge an MMO can have. People who are good at PvP are much better pve'ers. Just look at 

Everquest the PvP server Zek was the only server ever to down 'The Sleeper'.

Well, based on this, I can see why no one else bothered to try.

On November 17, 2003, those same 3 guilds returned to Sleeper's Tomb with GM consent and monitoring, and offically re-awoke, and killed the sleeper using the same tactic as the previous battle. The battle lasted a total of about 3 hours, involved well over 1000 rezes and had an attendance of nearly 200 people. The corpse lasted 30 seconds as it held no loot.

The strategy used (as I have been lead to believe) was to forgo the old "Main Tank" method and simply have a truckload of clerics rezzing everyone who died who would then loot up, and rush in to die again. With such a strategy, many people suffered numerous deaths losing large portions of their level even after all their rezzes.

http://tesuji.org/old_news/kerafyrm_the_sleeper_re-revisited.html

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar What does a non linear skill system look like?Mabinogi let you learn every skill and build your character around every combo of skills you could think of as well Archage let you pick 3 classes and put the skill trees for each of them together for a unique-ish class Linear is... Mage... fireball bigger fireball ice more ice lightning more lightning that kinda deal Originally posted by Roman291   Originally posted by ChanceCrowley I played Aion it was mad k grinding its like a slightly prettyer overlay for WoW >.<
    im okay with grind as long as there is skill and its not mindnumbing like WoW i really dont like... run this dungeon 40x to roll on a single drop to get that pair of pants to complete that set now..... uhh.... now my build is complete... uhh.... shit why did i like this game

To be blunt, your citeria is to broad. you going to have to re-evaluate your list or never find a game that fits.

Using "wow" as a blanket desription for "boring and too easy" isnt very descriptive because even if wow's implementation of features are lax, they are still genre staples like grind, statistics and chance.

Personally, lke someone else said Aion fits the best.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

Honestly I used to play LoL but I'm tired of losing to afks and i want to get back into MMORPGS BUT....my criteria is1) good community of people who aren't all 16 yearold pvp junkies2) not WoW because its too easy3) id love to avoid tab targeting4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus5) I want an open world6) i want action7) i want a good crafting system8) non linear skill system9) housing would be nice10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive11) costumes12) i REALLY dont wanna Pay to winIve played Mabinogi, tibia, Tera, Elder scrolls online, Wild star, Archage and pretty much beta tested everything before that too

You would prolly have fun in Ulitma Online. It is hard to play, very very hard crafting to figure out, best housing system anywhere, good community, it is open world, there are dungeons but u don't que for them, it isn't tab target, its point and click kinda, it is tab taget if you use the newer client. The skill system is kinda linear I guess but not really, it has like 70 skills and you can raise them to 120 but its capped. As for dieing you turn into a ghost and some one has to rez u. If you don't insure your stuff you lose it all. The loot system is random stats so there are always new items. The taking pet system is the best anywhere, its also random stats. It is pay to play though. It also is kinda pay 2 win like all games. If you pay some one 1000s and get there account you'll have the best stuff. Although I dono what you will win, since the game is hard to figure out and even with all that stuff you will die alot if you don't know what your doing.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396

The secret world fits that bill closest I think here is some trial keys, I will say soloing wise its the far more interesting mmorpg ive played and its buy to play once, no pay to win only some cosmetic stuff in the shop and boosters if your to impatient, classless systems and all.

B39FXJL4W9794XEU3KTX
    PEWKKFB6VTKXDDLA63UR
    W7M5J57N645N8VUQMWXR

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Honestly I used to play LoL but I'm tired of losing to afks and i want to get back into MMORPGS BUT....

my criteria is

4) i don't wanna stand and stare at a sign post for 10 mins then magically be in a dungeon (cough) vindictus

5) I want an open world

6) i want action

9) housing would be nice

10) a system where dieing is actually impactful and it is important to keep your character alive

11) costumes

Ive played Mabinogi, tibia, Tera, Elder scrolls online, Wild star, Archage and pretty much beta tested everything before that too

I would recommend trying games with free trials first and foremost, or those that are free to play naturally.

Initial disclosure:  I currently play FFXIV and have expressed disappointment in WoW's current expansion support.  So bias may be shown with both of those games.

Sub only games (both tab-target):

Final Fantasy XIV:  If you enjoy JRPGs and a narrative, Final Fantasy is a must try.  It has a lot of depth, complexity and difficulty tied to it, and, like FFXI, you will need a lot of patience and drive to get far.  Though you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you do.  The crafting is amazing -- each craft and gathering class are treated as their own classes with levels, equipment, storyline, rotations, etc.  In terms of classes, you can level all of them on one character, and then cross class abilities you've earned and use them with different classes (essentially making your own unique hybrid within reason).  Housing is pretty great when you can afford it (it costs millions of gil to get a house, though -- and you have to finish the 2.0 storyline).  1-50 areas are beautifully made, but some of them might be small, even if you don't notice it by how well they are designed.  50-60 are more open worldish in the same vein as Witcher 3 with Flying Mounts and multi-tier landscapes to fly up to.  The community is nice as a whole and has matured well in the past two years its been out.  Dying sends you back to a city if you don't get resurrected -- not too punishing, but it can cost some gil in teleportation fees, as well as take time to ride back.  There are dying cutscenes in 3.0 whereby if you fail, you see a cutscene of your character dying (one of the new Primals has this, which I thought was a need addition).  In terms of action, if you're looking for Hack and Slash, neither sub games are for you.  FFXIV can get pretty hectic at 50+ with all the things to do, though.  The depth really builds as you level (and get more classes for their abilities), as well as the new expansion having enemies that are actually a thread.  You can seriously die to just one enemy, and they take a little while to bring down.  It actually feels like you're fighting something as opposed to "bam, bam!" you're dead.  Plus, the narrative story turns into something great the further you go in.  Amazing music and villain designs, as well.  When it comes to dungeons, you have to unlock them via story or other attunements, and then actually ride to them.  However, once you do that, you will be able to sign up for them any any point in the world.  Best of all, it has Bi-tri updates that are absolutely huge.  Last expansion, they had 3 dungeons, a raid, a primal fight, half dozen new systems, various updates, dozens of main storyline, several side stories that were really great, etc.  Per patch.  Including Chocobo racings, Marriage, housing, Gold Saucer (with FFVII's music), Triple Triad, Monster Hunting, Treasure Hunting, etc.  The actual combat is a mixture of rotation and combos; you rotate combos, in essence.  One ability + another ability equals a +200 attack potency combo, somewhat similar to FFXI.  Each rotation might have something like adding a buff, debuff or simply raw damage.  Dragoons had a 32 button rotation in 2.0, and they still added a fourth tier combo, five new abilities and a new finisher to the class.  The game is very much, "if you can, try it, if you cannot, then do not" and doesn't make concessions just because people whine of difficulty.

WoW:  If you've never played it before, it can be really fun and you'll likely have a lot to do.  The community is known to be the equivalent to League of Legends in terms of MMOs, but you can turn off general and whispers and such and join a guild (if you can find one that's active) and use that as a social hub.  Has a great friending system whereby you can friend people from other servers and even play with them when in a party (a feature I would like to see in other games and kudos to WoW for putting it in).  The game is exceedingly easy nowadays and you will find no challenge 1-100 unless you pug 80-85 dungeons whereby they have very easy to read one shot mechanics in them.  Pugs usually get owned by them, sadly, despite this.  Which artificially makes the 80-85 moderately challenging in that you have to restrain yourself from pulling your hair out.  Fun questing 1-60 and 80-100; probably one of the best questing in the business.  But the current end game content is dry and not great at all.  They seem to update roughly every 6 months, and these updates have very little content.  They're also known to stop supporting an expansion half way through its lifecycle with 12-15 months of content drought.  If you're into raiding, that seems to be the main focus in their latest patch -- with their previous patch focusing on twitter integration and selfie screenshots.  In one of their recent interviews, they admitted that they didn't want their character classes to have any depth or complexity, or at least not to the point where they require addons.  "We don't want you to play Demonology warlock", says developer Ion Hazziskostas ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRk0MHcwZ74 ).  Make note that he goes into detail as to why this is in the full interview, but it is just a reason as to why they don't want complexity in their game.  A new feature in their current expansion is basically a Face Book game of managing followers who go out for eight or so hours (days with the new shipard) to bring you back treats.  In all, this is not a game that I believe is worth the subscription based on the content it gives and the rate it gives it when compared to competition.  But it certainly has a legacy about it and you could argue that you're just paying for brand name popular MMOs at this point.

F2P Games:

SWTOR:  Star Wars:  The Old Republic has been gaining momentum in the past few years.  Its most recent idea is to once more focus on story.  This is amazing news, as they have great story for their classes.  At present, they also have a subscriber benefit of getting 12x experience for main story quests if you want to play it.

Neverwinter:  Fun for a playthrough or two.  Is considered to be very Pay to Win.  But a time consumer that is based off of the Neverwinter Franchise.  Again, fun to play... but it is considered highly Pay to Win.

Tera:  Just came out with (or about to) a new expansion.  I got bored with this title pretty early on, but it has a few new classes and might be the best time to try it out.  Has action combat, but I can't say much else due to lack of overall experience.

Age of Conan:  If I remember, it has an open world.  Interesting ideas for combat.  Not able to comment on much else.  It had a demo of the starting city, fully voiced if I recall... only to have the full game not be thus and be fairly barren in terms of content.  This pissed a lot of people of, and I've personally not went back since.

B2P Games:

Guild Wars 2:  New expansion on the horizon that may require level 80 character to unlock new classes.  Doesn't have a monthly fee and the cash shop is decent.  Great to play through your first character, but the end game is severely lacking.

Elder Scrolls Online:  Popular on the consoles, yet people still cling to it not being a good game on computers as a whole.  Though most are likely just upset that they feel like beta testers for the console version while they paid a subscription for the year it was in development for the console platforms.  I've tried it several times, but kept on getting game breaking bugs.

The Secret World:  Ambitious and with unique quests and a decent story.  Has the ability to earn all abilities in game and pick seven or so to use at a time to make your own class.  It's known to have horrible battle animations.  Today marks its three year anniversary and there are events going on in game at the moment.

There are also many games on the horizon to look forward to.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

my criteria is

5) I want an open world

6) i want action

9) housing would be nice

11) costumes

You would prolly have fun in Ulitma Online. It is hard to play, very very hard crafting to figure out, best housing system anywhere, good community, it is open world, there are dungeons but u don't que for them, it isn't tab target, its point and click kinda, it is tab taget if you use the newer client. The skill system is kinda linear I guess but not really, it has like 70 skills and you can raise them to 120 but its capped. As for dieing you turn into a ghost and some one has to rez u. If you don't insure your stuff you lose it all. The loot system is random stats so there are always new items. The taking pet system is the best anywhere, its also random stats. It is pay to play though. It also is kinda pay 2 win like all games. If you pay some one 1000s and get there account you'll have the best stuff. Although I dono what you will win, since the game is hard to figure out and even with all that stuff you will die alot if you don't know what your doing.

Ultima Online is easy.

1.) Macro skills to 100-120 at night while you're sleeping. Takes 1 to 2 weeks to get 7x gm or 6x 120.  Don't even need to actually play the game.

2.) Make macros (key bindings) for skills and spells

3.) Click mob and use key bindings (spells or melee) to include the "target last target" binding. Mob dies usually within a few hits. Except for the new mobs they made them hard but they are still fairly easy.

Easy as hell.

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    +1 for Secret World. Only 2 items from your list it doesn't have...housing and a complex crafting system. Otherwise, definitely a unique and engaging game. IMHO it has the best quest design of any mmo I've played (and I've played a ton since EQ in '99). You don't care so much about leveling as you do experiencing the various content and stories.