Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One bests three

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

So last evening in null sec I'm care bearing it up and Intel channel says three neutrals are on their way to the system.

Corp mate of mine unlocks a heavily armor tanked Rapier and an Ishtar with a pair of Geckos and camps the gate. Enemy jumps in and takes the bait, all attack the Rapier and after the Gekos are unleashed, all 3 are quickly killed. (They were in assault Frigs and Ceptors)

EVE really is about understanding the proper counters to what your opponents are flying, and sometimes a bit of misdirection as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    GJ...........................................!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Is pvp in eve is so rare and boring that something like this is thread worthy?

I think the total skill involved in a fight like you described would be:

1) Lock red crosses on spreadsheet

2) Press drone engage target button, repeat.

3)Wait

Am I right? Not trolling just trying to understand your excitement over something that sounds incredibly boring.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I guess my post was simply to show that all PVP in EVE isn't in massive blobs where superior numbers always win.

The guy I described is quite skilled at small ops combat, and frequently wins against larger groups, frequently besting them by himself flying two ships against multiple opponents.

The other point is the enemy made a mistake, they went after the wrong ship first, thinking it was lightly tanked, so they ended up wasting time where they would have been better off trying to kill the Ishtar first, so a bit of misdirection helped carry the day.

I know, not the legendary battles people usually post, but then EVE is more a game of little victories than big..... but few understand this.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by F0URTWENTY

3)Wait

Am I right? Not trolling just trying to understand your excitement over something that sounds incredibly boring.

To the people that play PVP in EVE...the fights with the possibility of real lose is what gets them going.

No pain no fun, and really, the  pain on losing a fight...makes them happy.

Just a different mindset from others that see real loses in time and equipment as just a waste rather than what makes it fun.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    EvE, how much I hate this game, and also, how much I love it.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

3)Wait

Yup, the battle was over once they engaged. The real battle happend up until he locked them and killed them. Different challenge, but it takes skill. Not speed or reflexes skill, but planning skills.

You know, when I play a first person shooter or MOBA against my son, the match is also over before we start. His young reflexes (13 years) will pwn my reflexes (40 years) any day of the week. SImple fact of life that I can't change.

In EVE, now, that is a different story. Age and reflexes hardly count into it. Brains and planning do. And, oh yeah, luck... :) 

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

3)Wait

Small group , or 1v1 / 1v2/3/4/ etc are far more than just that

you have to consider things like your transversal, speed, orbitting distance all at the same time as considering what your opponent is firing, Then having the ability to then manage what ammo your firing, is the ammo your using no good against that race of ship, then you need to swap out but all the ensure your enemy cannot escape but also cannot get you.

You have to consider your guns , what is their optimal, what is their tracking ability, no good going too fast as you will outtrack your own guns, keep your opponent at a range that best suits your attacks but not so close that he could counter you with a module or 2.

Then while this is going your watching local to ensure your not getting baited, and this is just 1 v 1 , so 1 v 3 your doing this 3 times over..

So in answer to your question

1 - Yes - You do lock them :) but the order you lock them is also important

2 - No

3 - No

And for record i suck at 1v1 etc, im a pilot who works best in group of 3-10 :)

your understanding of EvE PvP comes very close to what happens in the big nullsec battles, which is why the majority of eve pvpers dont like big nullsec wars :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

3)Wait

Small group , or 1v1 / 1v2/3/4/ etc are far more than just that

you have to consider things like your transversal, speed, orbitting distance all at the same time as considering what your opponent is firing, Then having the ability to then manage what ammo your firing, is the ammo your using no good against that race of ship, then you need to swap out but all the ensure your enemy cannot escape but also cannot get you.

You have to consider your guns , what is their optimal, what is their tracking ability, no good going too fast as you will outtrack your own guns, keep your opponent at a range that best suits your attacks but not so close that he could counter you with a module or 2.

Then while this is going your watching local to ensure your not getting baited, and this is just 1 v 1 , so 1 v 3 your doing this 3 times over..

So in answer to your question

1 - Yes - You do lock them :) but the order you lock them is also important

2 - No

3 - No

And for record i suck at 1v1 etc, im a pilot who works best in group of 3-10 :)

your understanding of EvE PvP comes very close to what happens in the big nullsec battles, which is why the majority of eve pvpers dont like big nullsec wars :)

I played Eve for 5 years and have a very good understanding of all the mechanics you mention. I played mostly in lowsec pvp corps and have gotten 100+ kills solo. 

For the majority of engagements in Eve the outcome is determined before the fight begins based only on ship composition.

Yes I've seen fights where strategy definitely has tipped the scales in small scale engagements. But generally you are either forced to engaged or get away and what ship compositions either side has determins the outcome.

To me there isn't much skill in picking X ship and only attacking Y ship that you're strong against. It's rock paper scissors.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Eve keeps getting better and better. I love small pvp anecdotes like this :)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan