Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50 reasons to be excited about Revival

124»

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Yanocchi

(...)

2. The game will have high-quality graphics. Game is based on Unreal 4 engine. The company has people who worked with AMD/ATI and Crytek on Ruby and CryEngine 3 demos. 

3. Chris Roberts entrusted development of first-person shooter module for Star Citizen to the same company. Creative director of Revival is also cooperating closely with Chris Roberts on Star Citizen.

4. Lead designers of Revival are former lead designers of Auto Assault, Rift, Medal of Honour. Their lead system designer started his game industry career at Blizzard when the company was working on Diablo 1.

(...)

2) sooo. they have people working on AMD games so far, but will use an unreal engine?

3) didn't they just delay that game because it didnt work out (fps part of space citizen)

4) uh again.... "I was blizzard once! but i don't like what they did to the mmoprg! but... I WAS BLIZZARD ONCE!"

sorry that i won't start hyping here.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

9. The game is developed for a niche audience. 

Which always means it's garbage to most people.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Some additional game features  I have not seen detailed----

"So gross, in fact, that things like “taking a shit, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.”

---------

These details went well beyond repelling me and any interest in what ever this is.

Is there a way to block seeing future articles about what ever  this is ?

If they really implement all those ideas, at least they can take pride in being the only MMO besides a certain TV series where some day someone will die from a crossbow bolt while taking a dump.

The MassivelyOp article doesn't mention that there will be an option to censor or turn off sex features like many games have an option to lower or turn off gore.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Originally posted by Thane

(...)

2. The game will have high-quality graphics. Game is based on Unreal 4 engine. The company has people who worked with AMD/ATI and Crytek on Ruby and CryEngine 3 demos. 

3. Chris Roberts entrusted development of first-person shooter module for Star Citizen to the same company. Creative director of Revival is also cooperating closely with Chris Roberts on Star Citizen.

4. Lead designers of Revival are former lead designers of Auto Assault, Rift, Medal of Honour. Their lead system designer started his game industry career at Blizzard when the company was working on Diablo 1.

(...)

2) sooo. they have people working on AMD games so far, but will use an unreal engine?

3) didn't they just delay that game because it didnt work out (fps part of space citizen)

4) uh again.... "I was blizzard once! but i don't like what they did to the mmoprg! but... I WAS BLIZZARD ONCE!"

sorry that i won't start hyping here.

2. The point was meant to express that the company is capable of delivering good graphics and has experience working with modern high-end graphics and game engines. The problem with a lot of indie game projects is that they have mediocre or plain bad graphics.

3. Four days ago Chris Roberts explained that Star Marine, the fps module of Star Citizen, has hit some technical issues and will take a few months longer to rework. They have CIG, Illfonic and some other company collaborating on it. At the same time they are improving the graphics, lighting and some other technical stuff for Star Marine.

4. I included those points to show that the designers are far from total beginnersin in RPG, FPS, MMO development. Some people start comparing Revival with Darkfall. In the case of Darkfall key employees had been mainly from consulting, telecommunications and mobile gaming companies and software houses not associated with gaming industry instead of RPG, FPS or MMO background (and in June 2000 when they started working on Darkfall the MMO industry was only in its infancy, so they couldn't even have had any serious MMORPG experience).

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

A list of features don't excite me. We have seen these many times before.  Until I see actual gameplay of these features I cant begin to be excited.

• PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38

Some  reasons to NOT be excited about revival

1° payed enough for these ... games (Landmark SOTA H1Z1...)

2° the game doesn't exist yet

3° saw enough perfect games on the paper, dying before launch

So finish your game and we'll see. Before, not even a cent.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Rusque

I dunno, a lot of this is just "tell people what they want to hear and promise all sorts of stuff." I'm super tired of hearing promises and feature lists. I want to see people deliver on this stuff.

Yeah, I agree with nearly all of your points in this post.  I'm still going to keep an eye on the game and probably try it out, but I'm not following it too closely nor too hyped about it.

Although there are a few "things to get excited about" which actually already existed and weren't especially exciting:

#14 World functions while players aren't present:  If your MMORPG has patrolling mobs, they patrol even without players present.  So while it sounds amazing on paper, it can easily be underwhelming to the point of not even being worth mentioning.

#16 NPCs have routines: was done in Oblivion.  In a singleplayer game it worked because you could fast-forward time (rest.)  In a MMORPG you will simply be told "come back in 4 hours, the vendor you want is asleep" and it'll mostly be a net-negative.

#47 Every item will be useful: is also true of vendor trash.  It's useful because it provides me gold.

#50 Gods not being abstract: Done in several games (ESO's Tribunal, A'dal in Burning Crusade; there is even an argument for Alexstrasza and Deathwing being close enough.) So it's been done and isn't as earth-shattering as this description makes it out to be.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Really love the sound of this game but two suggestions to make it appeal to a more wider marker:

• Put a PVP tag in the game. I mean seriously why games have to be completely focused one way or the other  baffles me. If you want to PVP put the tag on, if you don't keep it off. Simple. You could even have it so if your near PVP your tag turns on automatically say within 10 seconds so you don't ruin immersion. Players who don't want to PVP could even run away to prevent their tag turning on to make it more realistic. Running in fear.
    • I like the multiple subscription model but don't like the extra costs even with the subscription service. It should be free-to-play server there is a money shop where you can buy what you need. Subscription server no money shop or anything extra required, your subscription covers everything.
    I do like the idea of this game it is just the two above issues are annoying me.
  • Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by honoursword

Really love the sound of this game but two suggestions to make it appeal to a more wider marker:

• Put a PVP tag in the game. I mean seriously why games have to be completely focused one way or the other  baffles me. If you want to PVP put the tag on, if you don't keep it off. Simple. You could even have it so if your near PVP your tag turns on automatically say within 10 seconds so you don't ruin immersion. Players who don't want to PVP could even run away to prevent their tag turning on to make it more realistic. Running in fear.
    • I like the multiple subscription model but don't like the extra costs even with the subscription service. It should be free-to-play server there is a money shop where you can buy what you need. Subscription server no money shop or anything extra required, your subscription covers everything.
    I do like the idea of this game it is just the two above issues are annoying me.

Your first point about pvp , both sides of the divide will making compromises in the way the game is going to be set up. A player that likes to gank and troll all day long on new players will quickly get bored with the game when that player is spending most playtime in the Death Realm which is populated with mobs and gets harder to leave every time a player dies. There will be blue areas in the game that will be safe most of the time. You also buy blessings of protection that will protect you from pvp completely and you don't need to use real money to earn them. Players will never be safe all the time, thievery and assassination can happen, there are ways to protect your assets and the player driven economy will make most things easy to replace.

This game is not for everyone , they are making it for a niche audience which is completely fine, even if some on this websight use "niche" as a derogatory term.  I think this game will appeal to pve focused players like EVE does and will have a large player base of non-combat characters because combat is only a small part of what you can do in the game. We already got pve players active on the Revival forums that dont like pvp but are still going to play.  Its a dangerous world and they want players to feel it , just like in real life you should't walk down a dark empty alley by yourself because a player may rob you , or something else may make you a meal. 

As for the subscription that is only for gold servers that will have a live gm staff to interact with the players causing things to happen in the game world and at least as of now they say its going to be a 10$ monthly fee. 

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Originally posted by MissAdventure

Don't forget about having sex, and using the bathroom.  Not necessarily at once, but who knows.

Anyway, it sounds edgy and I like that.  I'm keeping an eye on it to see how it develops.

Are you kidding me! I want a game with mature players, not mature content abused by immature players.

That, the free PvP (I want a justice system that works or simply no open PvP), and the cash shop PTW has crushed my interest that was pretty keen at first reading.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Amaranthar

That, the free PvP (I want a justice system that works or simply no open PvP), and the cash shop PTW has crushed my interest that was pretty keen at first reading.

Karma system and town guards can restrict anarchy of free PvP. Hardcore server won't have any cash shop. You won't be able to buy  any SP, protection plans, blessings there.

Are you kidding me! I want a game with mature players, not mature content abused by immature players.

Today Genese Davis talked about five things that Witcher 3 could teach MMOs. Revival seems to be headed very much in that kind of direction.

Three days ago devs posted a blog update about dungeons. Here's a summary of some points:

People will never know what they find in a dungeon. The game can spawn anything from friendly miners to horrible monsters in random locations. The creatures will populate dungeons by wandering inside and settling there. People will not be fighting tons of monster mobs like in usual MMOs. An NPC will not keep respawning and getting killed by farmers. Combat will not be as frequent as in usual MMOs but it will be very intense every time it happens. Small or Mid dungeons will be designed for one player or small groups and will take a few hours to complete. Giant dungeons will be designed for larger groups and will take multiple two-hour sessions to complete.

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85

A lot of text, some concept art, and the first thing (and only visible thing so far) they got working was a way to take my money.

I'll pass until they at least have a tech demo as not much has changed in the year I've been watching the project.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Karma system and town guards can restrict anarchy of free PvP. Hardcore server won't have any cash shop. You won't be able to buy  any SP, protection plans, blessings there.

Today Genese Davis talked about five things that Witcher 3 could teach MMOs. Revival seems to be headed very much in that kind of direction.

Griefers are notoriously creative when it comes to getting around those things.

Until I see proof, I'm going to remain highly skeptical of this title. Which a shame, since a lot of it sounds good.

But buying houses for RL money, and then having them destroyed by the random douchebags that flock to everything with open PvP sinks the entire concept for me, and it all but guarantees that if I do touch it at some point, I won't be investing any money into it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

I think the in-game shatting has leaked it's way out into the real world.

Karma won't stop rampant PKing. They don't care and they will work around it. They don't need Karma when they can jump on another character.

And where are those Town Guards when you need them?

Another thing, buying houses for real money, it may not be a cash shop but you can't buy "win" much more effectively than buying the center for in-game activities such as used for trade and storage. I'm assuming houses will be used like that because I didn't read more about the game, but that seems very likely.

But as far as maturity and in game sex, I think there's a small disconnect on the meaning of maturity (as in that video on another game). Here, let me quote them:

"So gross, in fact, that things like “taking a shit, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.” "

Now, first of all, who the hell even thinks of something like that for an MMO? But be that as it may, who would spend time and money on putting that in their game? And then to advertise it like it's a "feature", I mean, what kind of gamers are they trying to draw?

No thank you. I smite you with a 10' pole.

Once upon a time....

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Another thing, buying houses for real money, it may not be a cash shop but you can't buy "win" much more effectively than buying the center for in-game activities such as used for trade and storage. I'm assuming houses will be used like that because I didn't read more about the game, but that seems very likely.

So you declare that houses are the "center of in-game activities for trade and storage" and then go on to say you "assume" houses will be used like that and that you didn't read about the game.

Seems like maybe not posting about the game is a good idea then, huh?

Houses are not required to do anything in the game, and there is an extensive camping system if players want some of the gameplay of homes without having one.

Originally posted by Lethality

So you declare that houses are the "center of in-game activities for trade and storage" and then go on to say you "assume" houses will be used like that and that you didn't read about the game.

Seems like maybe not posting about the game is a good idea then, huh?

Houses are not required to do anything in the game, and there is an extensive camping system if players want some of the gameplay of homes without having one.

No, I had a comment so I made a comment. And I'm pretty sure I'm right since that's how these things work.

But I do have to admit that you have made a very strong counterargument with that claim that houses aren't a center of game play but you can get a temporary piece of that nonexistent game play through camping. image

Once upon a time....

Revival has launched Stage 1 - Phase 1 this week!

Stage 1 - Phase 1 (walk around your house and switch on/off the lights)

Stage 1 - Phase 2 (upgrade floor, ceiling and walls with better materials)

Stage 1 - Phase 3 (place furniture and house items in your house)

Stage 1 - Phase 4 (apply upgradeable room kits)