Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 MMOs That Would Be Perfect for Consoles

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today’s MMO market isn’t what it used to be. A little less than a decade ago everyone was playing the same handful of games and there wasn’t much MMO-hopping going on. Free-to-play was all but nonexistent and unless you paid a subscription for a PC MMORPG, you weren’t playing much in the way of persistent online games. Nowadays, you can boot up an MMO on everything from your smartphone and PC to consoles and tablets. They’re everywhere.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 MMOs That Would be Perfect for Consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Secret World it's a good choice too, also Age of Conan was to be Xbox 360 title but didn't make it.
    I also played Tera on pc with a controller was very smooth and would be playable on consoles.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    SWTOR would be terrible on consoles,  The ability bloat alone would make it very difficult to port over to console.  By level 27 it takes 3 rows of hotbars to get all the abilities on.  Not to mention, the 10 ability rotation for sent/marauder. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by achesoma
    SWTOR would be terrible on consoles,  The ability bloat alone would make it very difficult to port over to console.  By level 27 it takes 3 rows of hotbars to get all the abilities on.  Not to mention, the 10 ability rotation for sent/marauder. 

SW;TOR could be done on consoles, as long as they were using a keyboard, and probably the mouse too, too many features for a gamepad to handle tbh, and thats something that is usually inherent to most MMO's, game pads are fine things, but they can't replace the mouse/keyboard combination for functionality.image

• icybergieicybergie Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by achesoma

SW;TOR could be done on consoles, as long as they were using a keyboard, and probably the mouse too, too many features for a gamepad to handle tbh, and thats something that is usually inherent to most MMO's, game pads are fine things, but they can't replace the mouse/keyboard combination for functionality.image

You totally missed the point.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Wildstar would do well, Ark has a 2016 xbox one date, H1Z1 will do good, Trove would be a big hit too, I think of Trove as the prodigal child of Mario World 64 and Minecraft, I think it would rock on consoles.
  • booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    What about them 2-D side scrollers like Elsword or MapleStory.  FireFall.  
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    MMO(RPG)s should be PC exklusive, like FPS and RTS, they doesnt belong to consoles IMO.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Porting Marvel Heroes to console will ruin the community. I hope it never happens, and if by chance it does, I pray they have their own servers.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I would put Skyforge in my top 5, and maybe Wildstar.
  • DiovidDiovid Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The reason why there were rumors about a console version of GW2 is because before GW2's launch Anet had officially revealed they were looking into doing a console version. For whatever reason it was decided that developing a console version was not worth the resources.

That said, I know there are people who play GW2 using a controller hooked up on their pc.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

the secret world not on the list?

disappointing.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

According to 2014 SWTOR rumors, SWTOR would be rebooted, get action combat and launch on consloles. So far, we are getting a story/facion reboot and more action-y combat announced as well. I suppose console launch news are not too far away.

GW2 would be perfect for consoles, but Anet has repeated several times that console version is out of the question. They said the same about expansions and now we are waiting for HoT release date, so who knows. 

And I agree, Wildstar, would also work well on consoles, probably the best, amongst other MMO's. But, they have so many issues to resolve, it's hard to believe that NCsoft would fund such expensive project related to a struggling game.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

As bad as most MMO's are today...consoles can have them all.  Not a fan of consoles (or rather "controller only computers"). Use to be a console gamer along side my PC. Any more, I can't see a reason to have a console when my PC does things so much better (control wise).

Let's party like it is 1863!

• OnijinOnijin Member UncommonPosts: 50
    SWTOR would be fine on console honestly if it followed suit with the cross bar controls like FFXIV. it's not that difficult even with a multi bar mmo to make easy button control/mapping for controllers
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Great call on Vindictus. Most of the Korean Action MMORPGs would probably translate well. Tera, RaiderZ, other games that are exactly like Tera and RaiderZ.

I have a hunch we will see Marvel Heroes before too long.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    TERA gets my #1 vote.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    FFXIV, oh wait.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by booniedog96
      FireFall.  

If this came to PS4, I would be all over it. I think Wildstar, Tera, and really any mmo with action combat would be a great fit.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Onijin
    SWTOR would be fine on console honestly if it followed suit with the cross bar controls like FFXIV. it's not that difficult even with a multi bar mmo to make easy button control/mapping for controllers

Not familiar with this cross bar control.  Could you, or anyone familiar with it, please explain it for me.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• hestahhestah Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I think a swtor made for ps4 would be great I have played ESO on it and love it I'm sure they could work around the skill options with the use of the pad on the controller may take slot to get used to but being that I still play swtor. Those saying no and tog should be PC only get ur head out of the sand consoles are catching up to the power of pc yes they don't have the options a pc has with mods but they make them more even for every one no more resource grinders and harder for gold sellers to make gold
  • CerbearusCerbearus Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The words "MMO" and "console" should never ever be used in the same sentence. 
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53

Tera will only work für Solo-Questing, Controller-Turn-Rate is too slow for difficult Bossfights and PvP.

Same goes for Wildstar, one wrong step and you are dead meat.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    3 out of 5 of those arent even MMOs..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Konfess

Not familiar with this cross bar control.  Could you, or anyone familiar with it, please explain it for me.

You have 8 effective buttons on a gamepad, you can expand them though,  by using the buttons on the back of the things, i think theres another 4, 2 on each side, you can use them as 'tabs' to bring up a 2nd 3rd and 4th set of 8 'button options' so technically you could have 5 sets of 8 buttons, its roughly how its handled in FFXIV;ARR, though i think there are only 2 effective hotbars of 8 buttons, its not a bad thing tbh, as 8 is far too few for any MMO really, and yeah, i am explaining this in a really rubbish way, probably be easier with some kind of diagram image

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Konfess

You have 8 effective buttons on a gamepad, you can expand them though,  by using the buttons on the back of the things, i think theres another 4, 2 on each side, you can use them as 'tabs' to bring up a 2nd 3rd and 4th set of 8 'button options' so technically you could have 5 sets of 8 buttons, its roughly how its handled in FFXIV;ARR, though i think there are only 2 effective hotbars of 8 buttons, its not a bad thing tbh, as 8 is far too few for any MMO really, and yeah, i am explaining this in a really rubbish way, probably be easier with some kind of diagram image

The bottom images of the controller show the 4 buttons you usually have on the back of the gamepad, you can use them to bring up different hotbar options so that the top buttons (4 on right plus 4 on left from direction pad thing) can be used to select a button from the current hotbar option. Its a bit fiddly but once you get used to it, its supposed to be fairly quick.