Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about non-aggro mobs?

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I watched a vid last week of a modern game, and a female character running through a dungeon spraying havoc.  It was cool enough, certainly flashy, but in watching this I noticed that the entire dungeon was filled with non-aggro mobs.

Assuming this wasn't a tutorial since the character was all decked out and had all sorts of spells, why pack a dungeon full of things that don't attack?  I mean she literally just walked by a bunch of them.

Is this something common?  Something new?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Robokapp

deathknight starting area you butcher civillians. They don't attack but try to flee.

Does it count?

p.s. it left a very disgusting feeling but as a Paladin that could be just my RP moral compass...

I know that place.  Fun, sort of.  Flying some sort of dragon thingy blasting towers with fire bombs.  But there it fit with the lore, so that's nothing more than personally offensive.

I can't find the video, I wish I could.  This was just weird.  Maybe it was a developer demo or something.  She ran through this dungeon that was quite impressive, and these huge mobs spawn out of swirling black and just sort of look around as she tools past them.

I've seen big areas of non-aggros in mid-level stuff.  Usually they're just beasts for slaughtering and harvesting. but I've never seen them in dungeons like this.

Talk about a speed run, skip the mobs, run to the boss... bang slash bang and we're done.

I think it was a new game.  I'm guessing it was a developer showing off the class.

Just struck me as odd.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
      I hate it I remember when you couldnt out run mobs back in Asherons call unless you leveled your running up. I would like to see more systems for different ways of transportation like jumping, movement speed or anything but just flying on animals all the time the industry really has gotten so uncreative its kinda sad. And no I dont mean some out of place motorcycles or helicopters.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    It seems strange for a whole high-level dungeon to be filled with non-aggro mobs.  But non-aggro mobs are a useful element in MMOs.  For one thing, it enables interesting monster behaviors like "calling for help" which basically is a sudden conversion of non-aggro monsters into monsters aggroing on a specific player or group.  For another thing, some games like to have mobs of widely-varying levels in the same area; in this case it's important that players can fight level-appropriate mobs and not be attacked by ones that are either too high or too low.  Player abilities that make them less interesting to monsters than usual can also have interesting applications, especially if PvP is possible in the monster-populated area, allowing one player touse the local monsters against the other player, but also risk having the monsters turn on them.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

In general, it's weird, but it would be good to know the game or context of what you were looking at. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

In general, it's weird, but it would be good to know the game or context of what you were looking at. 

Check your messages and skype, old man ;)

Saw the IM but couldn't reply because it just kept refreshing the page over and over. Thank you, btw! :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Yeah it's all about context.  It's completely fine if they're wildlife, hologram training opponents, and similarly justified enemies, but it's bad if logically the enemy should attack.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some none aggro mobs isn't strange or new and it in fact is pretty logical that a wolf wouldn't attack you unless you provoke it or it is extremely hungry. We also seen games where faction affects if you get aggrod or not (EQ2 used to have a lot of this).

An entire dungeon or zone of them seems rather weird to me unless it is a tutorial or noob zone (and even in a noob zone it usually is just at the area you start that mobs don't aggro). I don't see the point of a none aggro dungeon at all.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    They have their place.  Not all animals are aggressive.  Also, I like it when they only aggro at certain levels.  It can get annoying when a level 1000 is running around in a level 1 area and things are aggroing.

I self identify as a monkey.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think that lack of patrolling/moving mobs is much worse than some non-aggro mobs. Not every mob should attack you at sight, but when they do they should also move around and force you at pay attention to your surroundings.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    They have their place.  Not all animals are aggressive.  Also, I like it when they only aggro at certain levels.  It can get annoying when a level 1000 is running around in a level 1 area and things are aggroing.

My thought on that is that level 1 mobs should still hurt.

If a wolf bits you the damage should still be significant. It might be harder to land that bit but my feeling is that high level characters are still "people" and a wolf biting "a people" should still hurt.

What ends up happening is that the game developers make level 5 wolves then level 50 wolves, etc.

I think that's ridiculous.

As far as non-aggro mobs, I'm all for them if they react in an appropriate fashion. So runnign way or shying away from your character.

If they are just standing there waiting to be slaughtered then I'm not for that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is true but the real problem there is more bad design than being agrgoed by crap. The fact that you can kill the entire zone without risking a single scratch is just regular bad game design.

The powergap you get in modern MMOs are just too insanely big today, it have become worse and worse. Time for someone to make a MMO based on RuneQuest/BRP instead of D&D.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Not all mobs should aggro,the preconceived notion that dungeons should be always full of aggro mobs leading up to some Boss is old school dumb.Just like in real life you would expect aggressive and non aggressive in just about any area.

I feel devs are just so lazy and build areas in such a sloppy fashion,there really is a lack of effort.Mobs should in that cave for a reason,they should have mobs they feed on unless it is some cave full of hibernating Bears.There is another thing,how often do we see mobs sleeping?

FFXI took aggro mechanics to the next level,far more effort than any game out there.

They used sight aggro,hearing aggro,smell aggro,magic aggro,ability aggro,hit point aggro that is a lot of systems to implement for each mob.Also in FFXI it was not a solo game,so if you took aggro from an even match mob,it was going to be a chore to survive let alone if you linked any others.Most games you can aggro an entire fort and just run a few steps and everything runs away ,sad really.

Simply put,i never feel one way or another about any game design,just do it well and with depth,not in a lazy type fashion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Sovrath

My thought on that is that level 1 mobs should still hurt.

If a wolf bits you the damage should still be significant. It might be harder to land that bit but my feeling is that high level characters are still "people" and a wolf biting "a people" should still hurt.

What ends up happening is that the game developers make level 5 wolves then level 50 wolves, etc.

I think that's ridiculous.

As far as non-aggro mobs, I'm all for them if they react in an appropriate fashion. So runnign way or shying away from your character.

If they are just standing there waiting to be slaughtered then I'm not for that.

If this were the case, I would agree. However, the way most of them are designed, they don't really do any damage with any large gap in levels.  In this instance, the aggro serves no purpose.  If they did have some impact on the character then I would say keep the aggro no matter.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Looked, but still can't find the video.

No big deal that I can't... and thanks for the insight.