Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not getting near enough experience for main quest

Comments

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    I was under the impression that this double xp for the main quest would make it so I would not have to do side crap quest and fate grinding. Very untrue. I continuously am having to stop before I even get 1/4 of my level because the next story quest out levels me. I then have to go grind crap before I can get to the next leve and quest. Pretty annoyed right now and considering doing a chargeback on this expansion. If I have to keep doing this I will never make it to Heavensward anyway, might as well get my money back.

Your desire to cut every corner and rush to cap is at the core of the problem.  The hurried expectation to reach cap can be made ever longer and frustrating for those who do just want to reach cap.  FFXIV is a quest based game at its very core.  In other words, you have to enjoy questing if you are going to enjoy FFXIV.  For those who enjoy, or do not mind questing, the journey to cap is much too fast.  It is all subjective.

You are assuming a lot here. If the side quests were not so boring and generic I would be more willing to do them. Grinding out boring quests is not my idea of fun. When I realized this was FFXIV I quit the game the first time. When I saw I could avoid that part of the game I did not like, I came back because I like most everything else about the game. When I realized it was not true (that I could just play the story) I posted this thread.

I am not complaining about what the game IS, I am complaining about something I was told was a new feature, and what the  purpose of that feature was. When I am finding that feature to not work as advertised, I posted here about it. It is not about "cutting corners" or "rush to cap"....it is about my personal enjoyment. I do not enjoy the side quest hubs or fate grinding, I enjoy story.

Apparently, my assumptions are correct since your post merely confirms my point.  I never said you were complaining about what the game is.  I was clear in my point that your complaint was about expectations.  You expected that the mere completion of story quests would literally take you to the ex-pack. And since they did not, your expectations have made the game a grind to you.  That was an expectation on your part.  The fact of the matter being that you still have to play the game.  Those activities that you are adverse to, Ie., side quests, fates are the activities that make FFXIV what it is.  You may have to engage in them a bit on your journey.  If you enjoy questing, that is not a problem.  If you do not, then your lone objective of reaching the ex-pack will seem a grind.

Well yes that was my expectation, because it was what was advertised for the new expansion. You seem to be blaming my expectations instead of the fact those expectations were brought on by their advertisment of the feature I came back for.

I doubt they meant that in the literal sense, Viper.  You should still have expected to have to engage a bit in other activities, Ie., dungeons and fates, to supplement your XP.  They are core features of the game, after all.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I was under the impression that this double xp for the main quest would make it so I would not have to do side crap quest and fate grinding. Very untrue. I continuously am having to stop before I even get 1/4 of my level because the next story quest out levels me. I then have to go grind crap before I can get to the next leve and quest. Pretty annoyed right now and considering doing a chargeback on this expansion. If I have to keep doing this I will never make it to Heavensward anyway, might as well get my money back.

Your desire to cut every corner and rush to cap is at the core of the problem.  The hurried expectation to reach cap can be made ever longer and frustrating for those who do just want to reach cap.  FFXIV is a quest based game at its very core.  In other words, you have to enjoy questing if you are going to enjoy FFXIV.  For those who enjoy, or do not mind questing, the journey to cap is much too fast.  It is all subjective.

You are assuming a lot here. If the side quests were not so boring and generic I would be more willing to do them. Grinding out boring quests is not my idea of fun. When I realized this was FFXIV I quit the game the first time. When I saw I could avoid that part of the game I did not like, I came back because I like most everything else about the game. When I realized it was not true (that I could just play the story) I posted this thread.

I am not complaining about what the game IS, I am complaining about something I was told was a new feature, and what the  purpose of that feature was. When I am finding that feature to not work as advertised, I posted here about it. It is not about "cutting corners" or "rush to cap"....it is about my personal enjoyment. I do not enjoy the side quest hubs or fate grinding, I enjoy story.

Apparently, my assumptions are correct since your post merely confirms my point.  I never said you were complaining about what the game is.  I was clear in my point that your complaint was about expectations.  You expected that the mere completion of story quests would literally take you to the ex-pack. And since they did not, your expectations have made the game a grind to you.  That was an expectation on your part.  The fact of the matter being that you still have to play the game.  Those activities that you are adverse to, Ie., side quests, fates are the activities that make FFXIV what it is.  You may have to engage in them a bit on your journey.  If you enjoy questing, that is not a problem.  If you do not, then your lone objective of reaching the ex-pack will seem a grind.

Well yes that was my expectation, because it was what was advertised for the new expansion. You seem to be blaming my expectations instead of the fact those expectations were brought on by their advertisment of the feature I came back for.

I doubt they meant that in the literal sense, Viper.  You should still have expected to have to engage a bit in other activities, Ie., dungeons and fates, to supplement your XP.  They are core features of the game, after all.

I have no problem with the occasional dungeon and joining a fate as I am traveling the world, I just don't want to GRIND them.

The next time you buy something that is not fully as advertised you remember your stance here. Let's see if you try and challenge it or not. I mean, the advertisement may not have been meant to be taken literally, right? Maybe you should expected it to mean what it said? Gamers are consumers too, I think that fact is lost on many of us.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!

I have no problem with the occasional dungeon and joining a fate as I am traveling the world, I just don't want to GRIND them.

The next time you buy something that is not fully as advertised you remember your stance here. Let's see if you try and challenge it or not. I mean, the advertisement may not have been meant to be taken literally, right? Maybe you should expected it to mean what it said? Gamers are consumers too, I think that fact is lost on many of us.

That will not happen because I do my research before making a purchase.  And my research intensifies as the cost of the product increases.  It also increases if it is a product after which purchase may cause me to regret said purchase to the extent that I will want a refund.  I only purchase that which i can afford, and I make every effort to make certain that the product that I purchase will be to my satisfaction.  If it isn't, then it is shame on me, not on the seller.  The only exception to this rule is if the product is broken or deficient.  In that case, it is only right that i be able to exchange for a similar product, in good working order.

There is plenty of information out on the market regarding this product.  And any information not available, can be easily obtained upon request from a variety of sources.  There is no excuse.

• darkscapedarkscape Member UncommonPosts: 20

Unfortunately the only thing left for you is to grind the Fates. It is one of the reasons I quit the game, the most unintuitive and miserable way to level is through Fates. Quests and dungeons give low XP.

Trying to level an alt character is basically just grinding Fates and it is a terrible task.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

atm 1-50 is just doing main story quest , Duty roulette low level nets u another level every day....at low lvls even more than 1.

if u find lacking levels do a fate if there are ppl enough ppl around,  hit some fate mobs and u get at the end a quest worth of xp.

leveling back then used to be boring since it forced u to fate spam , fates are boring if u do it for hours , but some fate here and there aint that bad :P

u can do guildhests too the 1 time u do a guildhest u get a bonus exp, doing all of them is an awesome a fast way to get exp (add Guildhest roulette too ! ) and every guildhest takes what? 3 min top?

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by danwest58

Viper,

Are you talking about Quest from 3.0 or quest from 2.0 - 2.55?  Quest from 2.0-2.55 will get you about a half a level from 50 to 51 and that's it.  If you are talking about 3.0 quest; FFXIV was never designed for you to quest to max level.  FFXIV was designed in a way where you MUST take part in dungeons, Trials, Fates and such.  The game was not designed to be a Quest Grinder.  

Please see above. I get how the game was designed, but I only gave it another shot because of being able to just play through the main story and not having to grind out on fates and side quests. It is just not working for me.

Viper,

I am sorry that FFXIV does not work for you.  If you feel that way maybe try some other MMOs; there are a lot of them out there.  

With that said I am going to ask you this.  What MMO or Game for that matter caters to exactly what you want to do 100% of the time?  The real answer is no MMO will you might get a single player game that does.  MMOs will often have things that you will not want to do and no they should not cater to everyone.  That formula WOW has tried and since they done that they continue to loose subscriptions.  You also need to ask yourself this.  How happy in this game am I?  If you are happy and want to stick around then maybe deal with the parts of the game you do not like to do because not every game will you get to do everything you want to do at all times.  

That will not happen because I do my research before making a purchase. 

I seriously feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

Dude, the ONLY REASON I CAME BACK WAS BECAUSE OF MY RESEARCH and because they just I could level just with the main story.

Holy crap, first I get aggressive guy...now pasive aggressive guy. Just drop it man, we can agree to disagree.

Viper,

Are you talking about Quest from 3.0 or quest from 2.0 - 2.55?  Quest from 2.0-2.55 will get you about a half a level from 50 to 51 and that's it.  If you are talking about 3.0 quest; FFXIV was never designed for you to quest to max level.  FFXIV was designed in a way where you MUST take part in dungeons, Trials, Fates and such.  The game was not designed to be a Quest Grinder.  

Please see above. I get how the game was designed, but I only gave it another shot because of being able to just play through the main story and not having to grind out on fates and side quests. It is just not working for me.

Viper,

I am sorry that FFXIV does not work for you.  If you feel that way maybe try some other MMOs; there are a lot of them out there.  

With that said I am going to ask you this.  What MMO or Game for that matter caters to exactly what you want to do 100% of the time?  The real answer is no MMO will you might get a single player game that does.  MMOs will often have things that you will not want to do and no they should not cater to everyone.  That formula WOW has tried and since they done that they continue to loose subscriptions.  You also need to ask yourself this.  How happy in this game am I?  If you are happy and want to stick around then maybe deal with the parts of the game you do not like to do because not every game will you get to do everything you want to do at all times.  

I liked the game when it came out, I just did not like the quest hub/fate grindy nature of it. The only reason I came back was because they said with Heavensward you could just level up doing the main story.

So I already realized the game as it was....not for me. When they said they changed what I did not like about it I came back, but what they said was not entirely true. That is the only reason I made this thread.

I appreciate you at least being civil with me....but I feel like I am going crazy here. Is it this difficult to understand or am I just not articulating my point well? I have nothing against FFXIV, it is what it is. I tried it, was not for me, I left. My only gripe is I came back due to what they told me and found it not to be true. Yes leveling is easier now, but not to the extent they promised. I still have to grind outside of the storyline, which is not what was promised.

That is my only gripe, nothing else matters or is relevant to this topic as far as I am concerned. I may stick it out because it is less grinding than before, just not happy about the false advertising.

That will not happen because I do my research before making a purchase. 

I seriously feel like I am talking to a brick wall. Dude, the ONLY REASON I CAME BACK WAS BECAUSE OF MY RESEARCH AND BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY SAID. THEY SAID I COULD JUST LEVEL UP DOING THE MAIN STORY LINE.

Holy crap.

You're not talking to it.  You are banging your head up against it.  Acknowledge it and back off.  You are only hurting yourself.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Viper,

Viper,

I liked the game when it came out, I just did not like the quest hub/fate grindy nature of it. The only reason I came back was because they said with Heavensward you could just level up doing the main story.

So I already realized the game as it was....not for me. When they said they changed what I did not like about it I came back, but what they said was not entirely true. That is the only reason I made this thread.

I appreciate you at least being civil with me....but I feel like I am going crazy here. Is it this difficult to understand or am I just not articulating my point well? I have nothing against FFXIV, it is what it is. I tried it, was not for me, I left. My only gripe is I came back due to what they told me and found it not to be true. Yes leveling is easier now, but not to the extent they promised. I still have to grind outside of the storyline, which is not what was promised.

That is my only gripe, nothing else matters or is relevant to this topic as far as I am concerned. I may stick it out because it is less grinding than before, just not happy about the false advertising.

There is no point in being other than civil because while yea some people can throw heated words an another justifiably it tends to do nothing other than make a post a bunch of Chaos.  

When it comes to FFXIV it is a good game but not for everyone.  For example people who never want to group this is not the game for them because FFXIV pushes grouping.  Which is why my wife and I love the game.  We love running dungeons (just did one with a friend of mine) and this game is very focused on dungeons.  While I agree the storyline an be blah and the rest of the quest too.  The dungeons for me hit what I really love about this game so I accept the so so parts of the game.

Do you have friends to run with at all?  Do you like doing Dungeons?  

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by HellboundHeart

[mod edit]. Use food lol. Are you in an FC? They have a battle xp up buff.

[mod edit]

BTW, there is NO refunds. It clearly states it in the ToS, or Terms of Service.

The ToS is completely irrelevant when it comes to refunds within 30 days of purchase. You can simply call your CC and get the money back - this is what many gamers do for just about any game and they screw over the game companies with charge back fees.

Chargebacks are not refunds,

Chargebacks are you telling your bank you did not get what you paid for or the charges were made without your permission, using them to obtain a refund for a digital product which you have been supplied with is fair use of the system and is what will eventually lead to tighter regulation of chargebacks in the future.

You should have read what was put out there a bit better to be honest, they clearly said "Increased xp for the base game content" they never claimed you would get more xp for expansion content.  Would you be happier if they had put in lots of Main story filler, like the banquet quests in Costa del sol?

If so pretend the moogle quests are main story quests and you will be happy.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Really surprised at the way people are responding to Viper in this thread (Especially that Hell whatever guy, whoever gladly has seemed to stop talking).

I actually resubbed for FFXIV for a month around 2 months ago. Thought I could try it again and bring myself to get to 50 before Heavensward. I didn't last the month. My main issue with the game is the same issue Viper has (well plus I'm also not a fan of the speed of combat with the global cooldown). 

I didn't last long enough to see the change in Heavensward with the Pre-50/Expansion content, but I have to admit that the way they advertised it in previews (including on this site), I was also under the impression that the story content would be able to bring you up to max level/Expansion content on its own, without additional questing/grinding. They definitely made it sound that way (at least to me). It wasn't enough to make me come back again (though I was intrigued), but it was pretty strongly worded advertising (again, in my opinion). 

I agree that unfortunately you just didn't get what was advertised Viper, or at least the advertising was misleading enough that you purchased it and were misinformed. It seems that a pretty significant thing for you, and you aren't able to stomach the grind in the game. Unfortunately that would suggest the game isn't for you and it is best that you move on. I wouldn't judge you if you tried to get your money back via your credit card company (I probably would just accept it as a poor purchase and swallow the loss myself, but I tend to lean towards supporting game companies even if I don't play their games much or get my "money's worth").

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Well i did not encounter any issues even without double XP. However, since you are having trouble you can get XP boost from rested, food, and FC buff. You can also get an entire level each day from doing low level dungeon roulette. A normal dungeon run for me while leveling would net me 1/2 of a level.

As a new player why are you in such a rush to get to the expansion anyway? FFXIV is not a game where everything starts at max level. In my experience i's a game where things just continue as they were at max level.

Steam: Neph

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I started the main story aftter double xp at level 32 with about half my xp bar completed. I was at the dungeon quest for that level, something flux. I was going through it fine progressing along with the quest until level 35 when I was about 2/3 through my xp bar but the next quest was 36 and I could not do it. Was not a big deal, one dungeon run and I was through. Then it happened again at 37, only now I have maybe 10% of my xp bar complete and the next quest is 38.

I was told the double xp buff would allow me to just focus on the main story and catch up quickly. I quit the game before because it was too much of a quest hub grind and I did not enjoy it. The main story was good enough and I was happy to just try going through it.

You calling me out as lying (which as you can see the mod did not agree with so if I were you I would tread lightly) is not productive at all here. If you think I am doing something wrong let me know what it is without the attacks.

Having as many characters as I do, more than a couple have yet to finish the main storyline.  Some were even old 1.0 characters that started at around level 32 with my side quests caught up to that point as well (as I was originally leveling them with a new class so as to not waste experience since the characters were already max level).  In doing this, I noticed that I hit quests whereby I couldn't proceed due to not being the level required.  It wasn't a big deal for me, as I had a full rested bar and knew the dozen or so ways to level quickly besides, but it did happen.

My guess is that you will only be fully caught up if you start fresh and get double experience from the start.  It is likely that several levels were lost in missing the past double experience quests.  Tempted to test this out with a new character once I get at least all my gatherers to max level with their battle classes and unlock flying.

That said, here's some tips on leveling if you missed out on the majority of quests giving double experience:

In party finder (party button at the bottom), you will likely see many groups advertising for FATES.  These go by quickly due to dozens of people participating in them, and you will likely get a level every 20-30 minutes or so.

Duty Roulette:  You get almost a full level by participating in a duty Roulette per day

Dungeoneering:  Especially if you have a rested bonus, this is a quick way to level with others without doing quests.

Hunting Log:  Hunting log provides great boosts in experience

Challenge Log:  Same as above

Side quests

Sightseeing log:  As named.

Treasure Hunting / Gold Saucer:  Not entirely great for experience, but a fun little activity from time to time.

Chocobo Training:  If you don't want to find a group, you can try and FATE with your chocobo out and get int levels.

Etc.

More options open up when you have a level 50 quest and unlock them, but those are the best for leveling a first class.  The order they are in are somewhat in the best experience gain, besides main story quests.

That said, Heavensward content has been absolutely amazing (especially the story).  It's definitely worth it to try and get through the leveling to see it.  Granted, though 2.1-2.2 patches are pretty much filler content with a few story elements here and there.  Picks up after that again.

It's certainly a bit more entertaining when you use the party finder and get into social groups.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

To be honest that bit was over exaggerated. You can't really get to max level by simply doing main quests. 

I played to level 50 doing only main quests and dungeons before the patch. But I always had rested xp and did daily roulette a lot. 

If you only want to do the main quest then sadly it can't be done. Also I don't see why you would focus on heavensward so much. If you are not enjoying the game, you are not going to enjoy it even when you get to the expansion content.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

As a new player why are you in such a rush to get to the expansion anyway? FFXIV is not a game where everything starts at max level. In my experience i's a game where things just continue as they were at max level.

What do you mean? His friends are already at ilvl178 he will be left behind!!1

It's a race to get to the ilevel treadmill, you see. Such fun, so enjoyment.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • JackCracker411JackCracker411 Member UncommonPosts: 69

Wow.  I laughed so hard reading through this whole entire thread.  The OP really sums up the state of mind that mmo gamers have today.  If the game isn't shoveling levels at them... it's TOO GRINDY! Heaven forbid you have to actually experience other facets of the game.  Sheesh.  

That being said.. I do feel some of the OPs pain.  I just came back after being away for about a year.  Having to work through some of this post 50 content that they added.. King Moogle, Leviathan, Rahmu, etc... can be quite painful at times.  It's clear they added some stuff for the sake of dragging out the story.  I swear.. half the time I feel like Minfilia's little bitch.  "Go take my father's journal and hand it to so and so in the other room".  I'm yelling at the screen, "F U Minfilia... walk that shit over there yourself you lazy biyotch".  Getting food for a dinner.. then port here.. talk to someone for 2 lines of dialogue... port somewhere else.. 2 more lines... walk two steps away and talk to this person... blah blah blah.  Man.. it's brutal sometimes.  Don't even get me started on the Guildhests they forced me to play through for the main story.  Uhhhgg.  

But... you know.. the main story is quite good.  And the Primals are pretty cool once you get around to fighting them.  It feels like they have started to dial down the fetch quests a bit and streamline them as I have gotten further along.  So.. that's been nice.  At the end of the day.. it's an MMO.. and like all MMOs before it.. you'll have to shovel shit sometimes.  From what I hear.. it's worth it.  I've heard nothing but good things about HW.  Looking forward to finally getting in there.  

Peace.  

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

[mod edit] Use food lol. Are you in an FC? They have a battle xp up buff.

[mod edit]

What motive do I have to lie about this? I am using food, my FC does have an experience buff up. Seriously, so many people on this board who simply cannot handle someone criticizing this game in any way without personally attacking them. If you cannot handle this maybe you should not be on the forums.

Btw, it would be libel, not slander.

I just came back to FFXIV, created a new character to play the new race, I am part of a FC with an xp buff and forget to use food.... I am having little issue leveling. I came back 3-4 days ago and I am already 40 in one job and 30 in 3 others. 

Not seeing an issue with xp.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Just sounds like a crybaby post to me.  Wah, I'm not getting exactly what I want.  The game doesn't cater to me and ignore the hundreds of thousands of other players wants or needs.  I'm going to get a refund.  Boo hoo.  I can't level to max in 3 hours.  Jeez.

You are playing an Asian game.  Of course it's going to be a grind fest.  Do you go to the grocery store and complain that they have too much food?  Do you buy a car and complain that you have to buy gas?  No, those things are just expected.

What exactly are you trying to get out of posting here anyways?  It's not like any of us can do anything about it.  Try the official forums.  Even though they likely won't listen to your whining, at least you'll be directing your butthurt to the right people.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I don't understand man... just accept the side quests, skip reading them, and pound them out quickly, and do dungeons and stuff. The main story is the only lengthy part of the levelling process. You will not be able to avoid doing a bit of grinding to get to the next main story quest, but with quickly banging out side quests and doing all the dungeons, that generally won't happen until you're in your 40's.  And with the challenge log and dailies, as well as food and FC exp buff (which is now double what it used to be), it isn't too big of an issue at all. 

Wait, what do you mean double xp? DId they double all xp from the main story pre-HW? If so, you have nothing to whine about as it never really took that long to level as it was before. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Edit. Wrong thread.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

[mod edit]

What motive do I have to lie about this? I am using food, my FC does have an experience buff up. Seriously, so many people on this board who simply cannot handle someone criticizing this game in any way without personally attacking them. If you cannot handle this maybe you should not be on the forums.

You need to do your duty roulettes.  Just the low level duty roulette will give you 3/4 of a level easy and takes 30-45 minutes.

If your goal was to level simply by playing this as a single player game and doing only the main story line quests, you will be sorely disappointed.  This is still an MMO.  And FFXIV puts an emphasis on group content.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

[mod edit]

You need to do your duty roulettes.  Just the low level duty roulette will give you 3/4 of a level easy and takes 30-45 minutes.

If your goal was to level simply by playing this as a single player game and doing only the main story line quests, you will be sorely disappointed.  This is still an MMO.  And FFXIV puts an emphasis on group content.

This. I levelled simply by spamming dungeon roulette and main story quests. Had no issues getting to 50. That was before the buff to the main storyline xp.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

Stop whining and do your daily roulettes people.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Thanks for the feedback OP, I was considering picking this up again because I heard you could just play through the main quests so I was hoping it might be more like a multiplayer version of an FF game than a treadmill mmo, but looks like I should give it a pass for now. Will pick up remastered FFX instead for a blast from the past.

I know you feel burnt but I reckon its better to not do a charge back and just write it off as one of those games you bought that didn't turn out as you had expected, even after doing pre-purchase research. At least with an mmo you never know, next year they could adjust the game further and it might be more in line with what you want.