Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Promise and Problems of Final Fantasy 7’s Remake

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the news of Final Fantasy 7 finally being remade, players have questions. Why now? What will change? This week, Chris shares his thoughts on those questions, what looks good, and what stormy seas might lay in the months ahead. That, final Dragon Age: Inquisition DLC, Destiny expansion outrage (and RedBull partnership!), multiplayer Skyrim, and more!

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: The Promise and Problems of Final Fantasy 7’s Remake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    if the go real time/ twitchy with FF7 i shall unleash Godzilla on the Square Enix complex
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Good article.

I really do hope they do the remake justice.

However, I can see where if they change ANYTHING about the story or the combat system that aren't improvements (And I can't think of at the moment).. Man.. Fans will probably crucify them.

They're walking a VERY tight rope on this one. Here's to hoping!

As for Suikoden, yeah, it's also a good series. Massive, the first 3 were good (I liked the 3rd, though some didn't.. I liked the idea behind the Trinity system), 4 was kinda eh.. 5 was very good.

• MissAdventureMissAdventure Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I'm crossing my fingers for a dazzling graphics update and nothing else. If they screw with the story, then it won't be FF7. If they do combat like the newer games in the series, I'll definitely give it a pass.

Whatever they do, I hope they have a testing group of fans, rather than a biased in-house sample, to gauge reactions.

Don't F it up, guys.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    wtf there is nothing to read about. FIX IT:
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Part of me is hoping that the FF7 remake will be also for either PS3 or PC, but I also wish it'll be PS4 / XBOX1 only so I can cling to my old FF7 PS1 discs and replay the game once more on my PS3. Needless to say, I am very happy that SE is finally remaking FF7 and I surely hope they won't screw it up...
    If they dare to change the combat system- i might kill some pandabears.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
     About the only thing I might like to see changed is perhaps making the chocobo racing/breeding to get the Gold Chocobo a bit less grindy. Other than that, there isn't much I would ask to be changed aside from the obvious graphic upgrade. Cant wait to get this on PC.

Now get to work on a remake of Final Fantasy Tactics.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by MissAdventure
    I'm crossing my fingers for a dazzling graphics update and nothing else. If they screw with the story, then it won't be FF7. If they do combat like the newer games in the series, I'll definitely give it a pass.

Whatever they do, I hope they have a testing group of fans, rather than a biased in-house sample, to gauge reactions.

Don't F it up, guys.

SE has already confirmed that it will not be only an HD remake. They will change actual gameplay/story. You can bet on the combat system in particular not staying the same. They also confirmed the cross dressing section would remain.

“I can’t get go into details,” Nomura said, “but this is not a simple remake. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we only pretty up the graphics for current gen hardware, I don’t think that would surpass the original version.”

“The original version is a game that came out in 1997, and if you look at it today, you can feel how dated the graphics and the game system are,” Nomura told Famitsu. “However, that’s also part of Final Fantasy VII.” Nomura added that even today, the game continues to get support and that is unlikely to change.

“We haven’t shown any gameplay yet, but since we’re updating them quite a bit, please look forward to that,” Nomura told Dengeki Online.

“Since we now formally revealed Kazushige Nojima’s name for the scenario, there will be more plot devices in the story, so I think you can also look forward to that.”

“So,” Nomura told Famitsu, “if you are going to do a full remake, you have to take a different approach and make something that suits the times.”

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-wont-be-exactly-the-same-1711909183

Steam: Neph

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The original cost more to make than most mmorpg's of now a days so i highly doubt they invest that much time and effort to do it justice.

For about the last 3 years i have seen a big change in Square Enix philosophy and how they design their games.They used to be a cut above the class now they just seem like everyone else.I see tons of corner cutting and copying bad ideas from other games.

Basically they now seem like a business after nothing but money rather than create something special.

I really don't like those GTA type worlds where 99% of the buildings and structures are meaningless.I want every building to be used and not just a backdrop image.I also don't like a lot of linear pathing,i like all my areas to have choice in where i want to go.I guess i am setting myself up for disappointment because really what i want are MMO worlds not linear single player games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

This is most likely going to be a decision making point for many long time Final Fantasy fans. XII and it's follow-ups were pretty abysmal compared to the previous games. I would say that the last FF game I really fell in love with was IX, and that was mostly due to all of the nostalgia they put in that game.

However, it does seem that SE has at least been listening to the complaints of many fans over the last number of years. First, the Fabula Nova Crystallis series is going to complete with the release of XV unless they release Agito at some later date. The remake of VII could very well be the flagship of whatever new direction the FF series will take.

With the wild success of Bravely Default and then the comments that SE would again focus on the JRPG itself (instead of the interactive movies of the XIII series), this could mean that the VII remake could be a giant step in that direction. Also, considering that the demo version of XV garnered pretty positive comments, that could also be a sign that VII will at least use a similar approach to a more action based combat system and an open world experience.

SE is going to piss off some part of the FF community no matter what they do, but I am going to remain cautiously optimistic here. 

if they also change the materia system- i want to summon bahamut Neo 16x- im gona murder even more pandabears.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

i miss the ATB system so bad.... i loved FFX combat, was faster , but the old ATB is king for a jrpg :D

if they touch this the are going the wrong way :(

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

True Final Fantasy is turn based combat. It's what I loved about the FF series.

This move to 'action rpg' is fine for some titles, but it shouldn't be in FF7.

If I wanted to play The Legend of Zelda, I would PLAY THAT!

Just take the great classic 7, and give it awesome new high rez, high def graphics.

For changes allow us to save, or bring back Aeris ( Aerith )!

My fear is that they'll pull a X-2 here. X was awesome, X-2 was nothing more than Charlie's Angles FF Style. It was crap.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic though for now.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    they are going to kill this remake if the battle system is nothing but turn based... 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by mayanking
    they are going to kill this remake if the battle system is nothing but turn based... 

Exactly.

The easiest way to botch this is to change things.  The easiest way to please fans is to give them the exact game they love, with modern graphics without the 20th century pseudo-3d clunky feel.

You literally can't go wrong just keeping things the same.  More than that, I really feel they are obligated not to change the game.  It dishonors what it was, and a company like square should know a thing or two about honor.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I've played the latest demo of FFXIV and I'm not impressed.   I think the Final Fantasy I and many others long for was put to bed after FFXII hit.  I long for the days of overworld travel again, getting that airship near endgame to make it all the sweeter, fighting obscure bosses like Ultima Weapon just because it's there but not needing to in order to finish the game.  If they remake FF 7 and it feels anything like 12, 13 or 15 I don't think it will do well with us older gamers and maybe not even newer ones.  Just saying.
  • Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Honestly the only things I would be really upset about, is if they changed the story, turned the Highwind into a point and click fast travel; or got rid of some of the end game extras.  I think free roam combat like in FF15 would be a good addition to FF7  ( if done right, that is ).  Can't wait to be wandering deep underground through vast caverns in search of Jenova's step son again.  High hopes for this one, please don't disappoint Square Enix.

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Suikoden is not available on ps4, it seems.  For shame.  Hadn't plugged in my ps4 in 6 months.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

I think they have waited this long because they were afraid to take on the project. Their track record for a while was not good. XII, XIII through XIII 3, and the original release of XIV were all frowned upon. XIII Versus had basically turned into vaporware before it popped up again at E-3 last year newly minted as XV. Can you imagine the sheer outrage of their core fan base if they remade VII at this time and botched it? It could have crippled their company. 

Now in 2015 Square Enix is in a better place. The HD remakes of Type 0, X/X-2 have been well received. They did a great job of turning XIV around and making that title profitable and commercially accepted. 

They are in a tough spot. This game is so revered that almost anything they do is going to be torn apart. I'm hoping they do not go real time combat like we see in the XV demo but I'm not going to fly to Japan and burn their buildings to the ground if they do. I trust that they will make a great game inspired by FFVII even if it isn't the FFVII we are used to.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Back in 1997 while I played Final Fantasy 7, I used to imagine how amazing it would be if the game had real time combat and fully 3D world.  Now its coming true.  Turn Based Instanced Combat was only a product of the times level of technology.  I hope square enix wont hold back the titles full potential because of some fans with nostalgia.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
     Normally I would say power to them for changing the combat but with this game you have to loyal of a fan base because its a classic and combat the change in combat will steal the life, soul, and fond memories we all had with it and I think it would just feel like a new game among the franchise.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I'm very curious how the remake of FF7 will be, but I'm also a sceptic. The way the franchinse have evolved, doesn't suit me at all. If they use somehing alike FF13's combat system, it's a pass - FFXIII and FFXIII-2 are probably the worst games I've touched in years. If it's more like FF15, I'll have to dig up some info, because I don't know much about it.

We'll just have to wait and see.

World of Final Fantasy will be garbage, there's no doubt for me about that at all. It's a cartoonish game meant to be appealing to the younger players, and "cute" is appearently a keyword, according to a gamespot article.

What will happen with the mobile version of FFXI, is also something I'm curious about. We don't know much yet, but I used to love the original in the old days.

A lot of things happening with this franchise, but so much garbage in the last few years, leaves me with just the curiousity, and not a lot of hope.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

FFVII is/was great for what it was. If I want that game (or if anyone else wants that game), play it.

I see FFVII:R as a new vision of what that game was... like when you see a retelling of "Aladdin" or some other story. Disney didn't invent it, and I loved the way my grandma used to tell it to me. I would still love to sit in her lap and hear it once more... but I still cherish those memories.

Same with FFVII. It will live in my memory, and I know FFVII:R will re-envision it, and will most probably change many of the things I used to love about it. And I accept that. I can only wish most other players will see it this way as well, but I have been hanging around these forums too much, and I know how whiny and immature most players are. But ahhhh... those wise vets... I always like to hear from them and I can expect some truly objective responses from them... not just visceral reactions because the game didn't come out EXACTLY how they envisioned it in their head.