Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Transgender Character Now in Lion's Arch

Comments

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195
    Welcome to the new ages folks. If you don't like it there is always Syria, I hear there's a group there that still has traditional values. 
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by LilithM

Who do you people even care? 

Wait; It's not natural! You mean like magic, dragons, other races than humans? In a game with thousands of npc's you cry about this?

For the same reason you think it's ok.

Originally posted by Shana77
    Transgenderism has existed throughout all the ages and throughout all societies. Funny how one single transgender character after many years of videogames after videogames makes a certain part of the population so upset and fearful of the end of the world. 

And it's ALWAYS been viewed as wrong...until now. Do some reading sparky.

Point is...for me...I leave it alone. I don't go out of my way to blast anything. But I keep getting blasted from all fronts now about BS I should not have to deal with if I mind my own business.

They do NOT mind their business. We all HAVE to believe everything is ok.....can't you see that?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Wait; It's not natural! You mean like magic, dragons, other races than humans? In a game with thousands of npc's you cry about this?

Transgenderism has existed throughout all the ages and throughout all societies. Funny how one single transgender character after many years of videogames after videogames makes a certain part of the population so upset and fearful of the end of the world. 

Point is...for me...I leave it alone. I don't go out of my way to blast anything. But I keep getting blasted from all fronts now about BS I should not have to deal with if I mind my own business.

They do NOT mind their business. We all HAVE to believe everything is ok.....can't you see that?

Actually no. You just have to get on with your life, that is all. It's you making such a fuss for it, not them. Now whether you get so upset because you've been raised with stories of some fairytale god or because you have repressed feelings of your own I don't know. But if you want to be happy you better get over it cause this is the future and for you it's not going to get any "better" unless you start opening up that little mind of yours. 

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Relax, dude.

No one is forcing anything on you no more than anyone has forced what is supposed to be the "norm" on those who aren't like you.  Try practicing a little tolerance and compassion.  This is not about you, this is about those who have been denied and only want to be accepted by society like everyone else.  What about this makes you so angry?  Transgender people have never done anything to you or anyone else.  They just want to be happy and free to be themselves like everyone else.  You don't have to accept it.  You can chose to ignore it if you wish but to lash out angrily against it only serves to reflect poorly on you.

As far as A.net is concerned.  I am a fan and though I have not fully supported them in the past.  I will buy their expansion and support them from now on simply as a token of appreciation for their compassion, tolerance, and courage to stand with a minority group and promote awareness with their plight.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Sure, next thing we see is gays etc? And kids will think its all normal -_- Whats going on in this world :S

Originally posted by Dragnelus
    Sure, next thing we see is gays etc? And kids will think its all normal -_- Whats going on in this world :S

They should know its normal, because it is normal.  It is as normal as nature itself.  Nature is not as black and white as some of you think.  Nature is varied and presents itself in many different forms.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

They should know its normal, because it is normal.  It is as normal as nature itself.

Its an illness. But whatever dont gonna argue about that ^^

Have a nice day!

They should know its normal, because it is normal.  It is as normal as nature itself.

Its an illness. But whatever dont gonna argue about that ^^

Have a nice day!

Bigotry and hate are the illness. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Well it's fantasy game of pretend after all... it would be hypocritical to condemn them while you play some furry with a hat. And I am saying that unironically.

while true, i can't help but feel that this is some lame ass PR move to appease non-gaming sjw crowds

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Combspe
    Maybe because it's against what I believe in and have the balls enough to stand up for what I believe in you moron. I think it's disgusting that ANET is force feeding their LGBT views in a game.

It really doesn't take balls to do that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Did you know same sex coupling happens in the animal world too? It's not abnormal, it's just rare.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I'm opposed to the gay / transgender lifestyle, but please don't misinterpret that to mean I hate those types of people, because I don't.  I don't agree with gay marriage from a moral standpoint, but see no reason to deny same sex couples the same legal benefits as heterosexual ones. I view homosexuality and other deviant practices as a type of mental illness brought on through both physiological and social means like any other, not genetics or any other ridiculous, unproven claims all too often passed off as fact.  

This isn't offensive because I disagree with their choice of lifestyle. This isn't offensive because I believe things like this should be kept out of games. It's not even offensive because it's the left wing yet again forcing their own twisted worldview down the throats of everyone they can...

It's offensive because it takes a character with legitimate issues, and puts him right out front for all to see like a sideshow freak. Anet is using this character as a poster child for their own political correctness, using him to say, "See, we're hip with the times! We even have transgender characters in our game! Isn't that neat? Isn't that cool? We have our token tranny! He's suffered so much that he's becoming a woman in an attempt to flee from his emotional turmoil!"

It's disgusting, it's sanctimonious, and it's outright tokenism. The 'before and after' pictures merely prove this further. 

Do you know what would have been tasteful? Treat him like a character, not a pin-up. Don't make some ridiculous press release pointing out that he's now a woman. Let people discover his history, his reason for choosing to identify as a woman, on their own through dialogue... you know, how such things are discovered about people in real life (who aren't former olympians, anyway). 

But nope! Gotta show just how PC you are, huh? Well pardon me if I show that I prefer companies with integrity over those that pander to special interests and politics by never buying one of your products again. 

Transgender people should be just as outraged. This makes a spectacle and a mockery of you and your lifestyle. 

The sad part about your post is that the hate oozes out of it and you don't even realize it.  You are not fooling anyone. It wouldn't matter how they presented the transgender character.  You would seethe with hate about that character just as much as you are seething with hate about this one.  You and those with your opinion are the only ones expressing anger with the introduction of this harmless character in GW2.  To the rest of us it doesn't phase us in the least.  It's nothing to be offended or outraged about.  It's really not as serious or threatening to the rest of us as it is to you and the rest of your hateful type.  

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    another reason to never buy anything from ARENANET.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Your master Baphomet is very pleased about this, Arenanet. You will be richly rewarded for sure
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    "I'm at the Pizza Hut. I'm at the Taco Bell. I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell." Das Racist

Sometimes you gotta have both.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Conley

Actually no. You just have to get on with your life, that is all. It's you making such a fuss for it, not them. Now whether you get so upset because you've been raised with stories of some fairytale god or because you have repressed feelings of your own I don't know. But if you want to be happy you better get over it cause this is the future and for you it's not going to get any "better" unless you start opening up that little mind of yours. 

I don't have a problem with what A-net has done here exactly, yet I feel it must be said that if one view is to be respected all views should be, your condescending attitude shows just as much dismissal of a religious person's beliefs, as they have of a transgenders. That's the problem with bringing this stuff to video-games, either way you're stepping on someone's toes. Does it really make a difference who's toes those are? Equality isn't a one way street, many have forgotten that in this day and age.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Just the psychology, which is pseudo-science.

Ok that was funny, someone must have a few issues to call psychology, the study of the human mind "pseudo science"

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

The fact that so many people in this forum get really upset about this thing is just proof of how much needed it is.

"Oh my, how can I play a game when I know I might run into a transgender character!? The horror! I'm so afraid, it's totally ruining my game experience." - If it disturbs you the problem is not the game, it's you.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The sad part about your post is that the hate oozes out of it and you don't even realize it.  You are not fooling anyone. It wouldn't matter how they presented the transgender character.  You would seethe with hate about that character just as much as you are seething with hate about this one.  You and those with your opinion are the only ones expressing anger with the introduction of this harmless character in GW2.  To the rest of us it doesn't phase us in the least.  It's nothing to be offended or outraged about.  It's really not as serious or threatening to the rest of us as it is to you and the rest of your hateful type.  

There is just as much intolerance shown from both sides, that's what you don't seem to get. That's what many with this progressive agenda don't get. What makes their right to their belief any more important than anyone else? What makes the religious among us any less important? It's just as intolerant to brush them off as unimportant.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by Distopia

There is just as much intolerance shown from both sides, that's what you don't seem to get. That's what many with this progressive agenda don't get. What makes their right to their belief any more important than anyone else? What makes the religious among us any less important? It's just as intolerant to brush them off as unimportant.

The difference is that one side say that some people are not "allowed" whilst the other side thinks that everyone should be allowed to live their lives (in a way that does not harm others) any way they like. You don't see the difference? I'm not saying all religious people do this, I'm saying those that get offended by a transgender person do this. Why is their religion more important than transgender people?

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    on i9nstance i wish gaming didnt mirror the real world ...political correctness

so say we all

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The amount of short-sighted homophobic fuck ups is too damn high. I am sure you probably didn't even meet the said NPC. He/She is not a part of a storyline. So cut the "being shoved" crap. Hope the banhammer at mmorpg is strong.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Maybe because it's against what I believe in and have the balls enough to stand up for what I believe in you moron. I think it's disgusting that ANET is force feeding their LGBT views in a game.

Must suck to be against biology and science.  

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Next fucking thing you'll see is someone screaming about ISIS rights and where is the radical Muslim npc in the game? See how fucking moronic this sounds? Point proven?

Because a crazy religious right wing group is the same as human basic equal rights.  I bet in the 60s you would be the guy holding the dog attacking the blacks peacefully marching.  Better yet, the guy with the huge hose.

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140

What the fuck does that even mean? Truth is I don't think you even know, you're just trying to be progressive hipster fuck who talks out of his anal cavity. You sound like one of those liberal fucktards that try to race bait or use the race card every chance they can get. Are you a closet racists?

This discussion has been closed.