Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

So this expansion guarantees a year of playtime?  I didn't even get a years worth of playtime from the original game.  

I got 3 years of the base game.

So $50 seems fine for me. In fact if they asked $200 I would probably have bought it still.

If you lasted only a few weeks, why do you even care about the expansion?

I've played on and off since launch but I know my accumulated hours are far below a year's worth of game time.

The ironic thing is that the same would be true if we were talking about a standard themepark MMO with a subscription. You'd be paying substantially more for about the same amount of content (or less); and yet for some reason that is MORE acceptable to a lot of people (on these forums).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by YashaX
    Originally posted by Torval

Wait, wut? So including the previous content at no extra charge is now crappy? Those bastards! What a selfish gouge giving away stuff.

The price of the expansion is inline with other box fees. Are people ignoring the point repeatedly made that Blizz just charged $50 for their xpac PLUS the sub-fees. Squeenix just charged $40 for their xpac PLUS the sub-fee and you still need to pay for the base game if you're a new player - how very benevolent of them (because this is opposite world).

I think a lot of players did boycott decisions made by SoE and LucasArts. You really showed them didn't you. How's SWG working out now?

Its strange that some people see this as a rip-off; I see it as yet another example of the people behind GW2 really striving to be consumer friendly in their pricing model.

It's one of those annoying phenomena in consumer psychology. We like to assume dollar amounts as an absolute portrayal of value. So, something with a perceived value of ~60$ will be treated as such. However, when stuff starts being given away (for free), the way it's handled has a huge impact on how the average person perceives it's value.

You offer a 100$ product at a discount with another 100$ purchase, and it seems like a great deal. You offer that same 100$ product for free with a candy bar, and it sounds like crap.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Loke666
    A year of content seems a tad optimistic unless you play really casual. Most players complete any new content for any MMO in weeks nowadays. The only exception is when content like raid content is time locked so you can't get the gear you need to progress until you got enough good loot from daily or weekly raids.

I think it will take the average player more like a month to do close to everything in the expansion. That is however still more time than I spend in most single player games so for me it is worth the money easily but for the rest of you decide by yourself.

Players have been playing the base game for 3 years.

We are talking 8 characters to level 80 with ascended armor/weapons + legendaries and 20K+ AP.

Those are the hardcore players.

And of course there will be Living World season 3.

There are always those that just rush and said they have done everything in 2 days (48 hours of constant play) or 2 weeks (14+ hours a day) or 1 month (14+ hours a day). That kind of players will probably get more value of keep jumping between new MMOs. Those aren't the hardcore players, they are the locusts.

I don't argue with that, and many players will play it for years doing the content over and over as in any MMO but that still doesn't make it into a years content. I have myself played it since the beta but I wouldn't state that I have gotten 3 years of content for that anyways, there is a reason I have so many 80s with good gear.

Now,if it is worth 50 bucks or not really depends on who you are. If you only play the game for a week it is likely that you should play something free instead. 

So either you think it is worth the money or just don't buy it. Plenty of other games out there for anyone who don't want to spend that amount of money. And if you only played the original game a week or 2 you probably should pass this one up or at least wait a year until you find it on sale.

If you on the other hand spended months or years you should go for it. I feel that I so far have gotten my moneys worth and more for the game. Heck, I did spend far much playing other MMOs for a lot shorter periods.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by aesperus

So this expansion guarantees a year of playtime?  I didn't even get a years worth of playtime from the original game.  

I got 3 years of the base game.

So $50 seems fine for me. In fact if they asked $200 I would probably have bought it still.

If you lasted only a few weeks, why do you even care about the expansion?

I've played on and off since launch but I know my accumulated hours are far below a year's worth of game time.

The ironic thing is that the same would be true if we were talking about a standard themepark MMO with a subscription. You'd be paying substantially more for about the same amount of content (or less); and yet for some reason that is MORE acceptable to a lot of people (on these forums).

The sub model has three major representations in this genre today... Three... any other sub is completely optional. It's really not all that relevant to the current pricing climate. F2P is much more common. So I'd say it's more in line with what is standard for a themepark. B2P has as many representations as the sub does today.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    If he only played a few weeks, why do you care what he cares about?  His value opinion is different than your value opinion.  Cool, you would spend 200 dollars on it.. we get it.  But don't expect just because you find value that way others do.  Its the greatest thing about life, you can do what you want and don't have to worry about what others think or do and your world will keep on going!

You have a caremeter?

Did I say that his opinion is not valid?

I have several times said that the value of a product is subjective.

But there have been many in this thread trying to use numbers to say that value is not subjective but objective, like "In game X expansion we got 10 maps, so obviously fewer than that is not worth it".

Obviously I don't play game X so I don't care if game X has a 1 million maps or not, because a game is not just a collection of bullet points: 2 continents, 90 levels, 50 dungeons, etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    If you have a same sex character...or a gender challenged character....you win.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

If he only played a few weeks, why do you care what he cares about?  His value opinion is different than your value opinion.  Cool, you would spend 200 dollars on it.. we get it.  But don't expect just because you find value that way others do.  Its the greatest thing about life, you can do what you want and don't have to worry about what others think or do and your world will keep on going!

You have a caremeter?

But there have been many in this thread trying to use numbers to say that value is not subjective but objective, like "In game X expansion we got 10 maps, so obviously fewer than that is not worth it".

Obviously I don't play game X so I don't care if game X has a 1 million maps or not, because a game is not just a collection of bullet points: 2 continents, 90 levels, 50 dungeons, etc.

Probably because every other post in this thread brings up WOW and it's $50 expansion+SUB. I've seen few supportive posts that didn't bring that up, fewer still that focused on what folks have actually been expressing concern with... IE what actually comes in this box. Which it seems has become the thing most deflected in this conversation, the value is argued from every angle but that, I find that concerning.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

You have a caremeter?

considering you were the one complaining he didn't know what he was talking about and shouldn't comment because of his playtime, than tried to act like you were superfan by talking about how you would spend 200 dollars on this xpac I would imagine the only one in the thread carrying around a "caremeter" is you.  Only thing I care about is the value of the content given to me.  I don't consider it a good purchase, so I won't buy it.  Most of what I wanted out of it is free anyway.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

It's their choice.

It just means I won't get it. I don't see the expansion worth a 50$ alone and I already own the base game.

Especially not when I have to buy it twice (for my other half).

Maybe they'll change their view or there will be a pretty good discount. We'll see what the future brings.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Leon1e

i think this discussion is pointless and as such it should be closed. 

If you like the game, want to support the dev and want to see the new content first and 50$ is a no brainer for you - go for it. 

If the price seem too high, wait until christmas, I bet there would be a sale then. No need to cry about it and trying to make a thing out of nothing.

I didn't buy the new batman game because its too expensive for a buggy console port. Do I need to make a thread about it? Come on now ....

ANet are *not* charging more than the average MMO developer. 

Deal with it.

Personally i was against at first, but then they addressed my issues so i ended up buying the 100 euro package along with my boyfriend. Typing /age in chat was more than enough to convince me it was worth it.

It does seem rather crappy, to release the new expansion and give out the base game, so seems a genuine complaint. It seems the only reason for the high price is because they are including the base game, and if you have the game already you are buying the base game again.

I am not too bothered about Guild Wars 2 so I will wait on a price drop no matter what the price.

BUT if this happened with Star Wars Galaxies, my all time favorite MMO, I may have boycotted a purchase. If the price is only for the expansion, but to get the base game costs more, then I would buy it no matter the price of the expansion, which was the case with SWG. 

Wait, wut? So including the previous content at no extra charge is now crappy? Those bastards! What a selfish gouge giving away stuff.

The price of the expansion is inline with other box fees. Are people ignoring the point repeatedly made that Blizz just charged $50 for their xpac PLUS the sub-fees. Squeenix just charged $40 for their xpac PLUS the sub-fee and you still need to pay for the base game if you're a new player - how very benevolent of them (because this is opposite world).

I think a lot of players did boycott decisions made by SoE and LucasArts. You really showed them didn't you. How's SWG working out now?

How do you know that the previous content is being given away for free and they are not including it with the price?

I find it hard to believe they are giving it away for free, nobody gives away anything for free like this. Also it makes all the original boxed copies with just the base game virtually redundant. Who is now going to spend $20 on that, and then spend $50 to get the expansion which will make the $20 purchase a waste of money?

The price could have been $40 (or less), like Heavensward, without the base game.

That is why I find it crappy. 

It is a good deal for those new to the game, but does no favours to the existing player, unless you really believe that the previous content is all given out free, and you would pay this price even if it did not include the base game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

People would complain if they DID offer an expansion only box. People complain if they didn't (as they are now). No matter what A.Net would do, some group would not be happy.

[mod edit]

considering you were the one complaining he didn't know what he was talking about and shouldn't comment because of his playtime, than tried to act like you were superfan by talking about how you would spend 200 dollars on this xpac I would imagine the only one in the thread carrying around a "caremeter" is you.  Only thing I care about is the value of the content given to me.  I don't consider it a good purchase, so I won't buy it.  Most of what I wanted out of it is free anyway.

You keep saying I said stuff I didn't.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Distopia

Probably because every other post in this thread brings up WOW and it's $50 expansion+SUB. I've seen few supportive posts that didn't bring that up, fewer still that focused on what folks have actually been expressing concern with... IE what actually comes in this box. Which it seems has become the thing most deflected in this conversation, the value is argued from every angle but that, I find that concerning.

Guild Wars 2 is a AAA MMORPG.

WoW is a AAA MMORPG.

Some AAA MMORPGs do charge $40-50 for expansions.

We know what comes in the box.

A few PvE maps that are iterations based on what Anet learned about Dry Top and Silverwastes - will have outposts, adventures and challenging content.

More Personal Story.

Guild Halls with missions and content associated to them.

A WvW map and a new PvP mode (also available to people that own the base game, greedy Anet giving stuff for free).

Mastery system.

A new class and 9 specializations.

Future Living World will take place in the new areas.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You keep saying I said stuff I didn't.

You said I only played a few weeks which is absolutely untrue.

I said If you only lasted a few weeks.

As it seemed you were implying.

I have no idea how much time you played, hence the if.

It seems to me the more time anyone spent in the game the higher they will value the additional content of the expansion (with a few exceptions depending on what of the facets of GW2 you prefer).

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Braindome

If you like the game, want to support the dev and want to see the new content first and 50$ is a no brainer for you - bend over and take it like the unappreciated consumer you are.

If the price seem too high, wait until christmas, I bet there would be a sale then. No need to cry about it and trying to make a thing out of the fact that you are having to pay twice for the base game instead of paying for the expansion like is normally done.

I rewrote that for you and filled in the lines to make sense of what you are actually trying to say. In all honest I don't understand where consumers like you come from. Could you explain to us more about your gaming habits, income and what you do in your spare time? I would really like to understand consumers like you.....cause I don't.

I work as a PR consultant, my boyfriend is a programmer. We are gaming on most of our free time. We've both clocked over 2000 hours in Guild Wars 2 and various other titles. 50$ is not an issue to our household in the slightest. 

We also don't live in a basement as other gamer brethren, trying to tell me how fucked up we are for paying 50$. 

You know, there are restaurants where dinner for 2 costs more than that.

What you have to understand is that some are willing to pay a lot more than others for entertainment. That is why you have a multi million dollar cars. That's not their real value. 

Besides we can talk all week but the fact remain is that value is in the eye of the beholder. With the vet perks 50$ is worth it in my eyes. If it is too much for you, move along, plenty of games in the world.

Or you know ... get a better job. 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

If you like the game, want to support the dev and want to see the new content first and 50$ is a no brainer for you - bend over and take it like the unappreciated consumer you are.

If the price seem too high, wait until christmas, I bet there would be a sale then. No need to cry about it and trying to make a thing out of the fact that you are having to pay twice for the base game instead of paying for the expansion like is normally done.

I rewrote that for you and filled in the lines to make sense of what you are actually trying to say. In all honest I don't understand where consumers like you come from. Could you explain to us more about your gaming habits, income and what you do in your spare time? I would really like to understand consumers like you.....cause I don't.

I work as a PR consultant, my boyfriend is a programmer. We are gaming on most of our free time. We've both clocked over 2000 hours in Guild Wars 2 and various other titles. 50$ is not an issue to our household in the slightest. 

We also don't live in a basement as other gamer brethren, trying to tell me how fucked up we are for paying 50$. 

What you have to understand is that some are willing to pay a lot more than others for entertainment. That is why you have a multi million dollar cars. That's not their real value. 

Besides we can talk all week but the fact remain is that value is in the eye of the beholder. With the vet perks 50$ is worth it in my eyes. If it is too much for you, move along, plenty of games in the world.

I don't think the issue here is that everyone who disagrees with you about the value of the expansion is living in poverty. I have spent hundreds of $ in gems on my account as well as purchased multiple accounts for other people. I have probably given Arenanet at least a grand by now. The issue is, is the new content in the expansion justify as much money as the base game was worth? Is it of comparable value? Does it bring to the table anywhere near as much content as the base game does? 50%? 40? 30? 20? 10? At the moment it is looking like maybe 5% (Or at least as far as content I actually care about. Admittedly I do not care at all about the living story). So for me and others upset by this price point for the expansion, it's not reliant on us not having the money. If this expansion actually had a decent amount of new content that I wanted to explore, I would just be throwing money at Arenanet like I always have. So far me and a lot of other people just aren't seeing it. To be honest after 3 years, this looks incredibly phoned in. Especially compared to the kind of expansions they used to release in GW1. I do give them credit for their decision to make it easier for new players to get in without additional paywalls. But it seems that at the same time expecting old players to shell out an additional $50 for so little, does come off badly to old players. Especially when many of us have already been giving Arenanet cash regularly this whole time.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by botrytis

People would complain if they DID offer an expansion only box. People complain if they didn't (as they are now). No matter what A.Net would do, some group would not be happy.

[mod edit]

There might be some truth to this but you're kind of saying if ANet actually did it like every other company in the industry people would be complaining. So yeah true people will complain about anything but those complaints would be of little importance. This complaint however is perfectly valid. Personally I also don't feel like the expansion contains $50 worth of content so I'll sit it out till it's like $10 one day and pick it up then.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Zero people in this thread have argued that they can't afford the expansion. What they are saying is that it does not contain $50 worth of content. So instead of lording how much money you have over other people and telling them to get jobs, how about actually reading their posts first.

To prove my point, I have masters degree and a full time job at one of the highest ranked hospitals in the country. I share my costs with my gf who I live with. I have more money atm than i know what to do with. I love GW2. Guess how many copies of the expansion I'm buying? Zero. Why? Because it's literally a joke how little content it contains.

Guess what I did do? Buy FFXIV + Expansion and a 6 month sub. Wait! You might say. That's more than GW2 + Expansion 2x over. True story. However, I actually think I'm getting my money's worth in comparison to the offerings from ANet.

TLDR - we've all got the money. The question is: what's the value of the expansion to you? For me it's not $50 that's for sure.

Steam: Neph

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    While I do agree with the OP that a extra character slot should be included with the expansion I don't get where the thread title is coming from. Why would you want a expansion only copy? I'm pretty sure it won't force you to install 2 copies of the base game. Having the base game included doesn't really mean anything. If you want to get into the game because something catches your eye in the expansion then awesome! you get the base game for free. If you already own the base then you get the expansion that you want.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by Distopia

Guild Wars 2 is a AAA MMORPG.

WoW is a AAA MMORPG.

Some AAA MMORPGs do charge $40-50 for expansions.

We know what comes in the box.

A few PvE maps that are iterations based on what Anet learned about Dry Top and Silverwastes - will have outposts, adventures and challenging content.

More Personal Story.

Guild Halls with missions and content associated to them.

A WvW map and a new PvP mode (also available to people that own the base game, greedy Anet giving stuff for free).

Mastery system.

A new class and 9 specializations.

Future Living World will take place in the new areas.

The point was the price is meaningless when comparing what someone else charges without considering what they offer for that dollar amount. It also doesn't excuse it if both turn out to be a rip off. Two wrongs don't make it right, that's as simple as it can get.

For $50 I'd get some new quests, a guild hall, a new class, some exploration. I can't count the future living world stuff if they handle it as they did the first iterations of that. IE they'll eventually charge for it if you weren't there during a certain window... (which hey that's fine, it just shouldn't be counted as free if they monetize it)... ANd please spare me the "well you can make the game dull and grind so you don't have to pay"...that's exactly the kind of thing this game was not supposed to be.I'd rather just pay than go against the grain.

All I can say is those zones better offer quite a bit of content. That's the only thing I could see making it worth $50. IF not I'll definitely skip this one.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I said If you only lasted a few weeks.

As it seemed you were implying.

I have no idea how much time you played, hence the if.

It seems to me the more time anyone spent in the game the higher they will value the additional content of the expansion (with a few exceptions depending on what of the facets of GW2 you prefer).

How did

totalPlaytime < year

Imply totalPlaytime == 3weeks ?

Your last statement can be applied to almost anything (movie, book, game, etc).   I just have not heard a compelling reason why they do not offer the expansion itself at a reduced price that excludes the base game.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ a compelling reason? It's $2 a month averaged out, should it be $30 and $150 a year sub instead?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    ^^ a compelling reason? It's $2 a month averaged out, should it be $30 and $150 a year sub instead?

Depends how you're breaking that down. The original purchase might average out that way. Yet the expansion has yet to live up to that, on paper it seems to be about a month or so of new content, included in the purchase, the PVP could be had without the purchase, a new class carries about as much worth as any other class (to a person who doesn't make alts),  TBH I don't really find much appeal in repeating too many things in GW2 (or any other MMO), for me I doubt this expansion would be much different.

Does anyone know if the living story will be handled as it was in the base game? IE limited run content, that costs extra later on? To me this expansion doesn't seem to be much more than ESO has added with their updates, like Craglorn. NOR TOR has added with their mini expansions which are dirt cheap in comparison.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Why is this a big deal?

SOE has done this with EQ and EQ2 for many years, and it's a good idea.  Let me tell you why...

If you use the Blizzard model, or the SOE model from 2004, you buy the game and play it,and then as each expansion comes out, you buy the expansions.  If, at some point, you stop playing and then decide you want to rejoin a few years later, you have to plunk down the cash for *ALL* the expansions between where you stopped playing and now.  That's a good sized chunk of change!

Now, imagine you talk your friend into playing... they have to buy the base game and ALL the expansions, pretty much all at once.  Sure, you can just play with the base game... except your friends will want to do things that are locked to you, which is no fun.

SOE figured out that the best way to get new players *AND* get older players to return is to just bundle everything.  You buy the current game, with all the expansions to that point.  You don't pay $300 for them, you pay the same price you'd pay anyways and get all the older stuff as part of the deal.

Blizzard hasn't figure this out yet.  And that's why their sub numbers are dropping... (well, part of it).  If you played WoW during the Lich King and had fun, maybe you were tempted to go  back but resisted because Cataclysm sounded silly, and Panda-land was even more silly.  But now, even if you like the idea of the new expansion, do you want to fork out $120?  Well, you have to because you can't play the newest content without ALL the previous expansions.