Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They still refuse to offer an expansion only copy

1246711

Comments

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 

    You're saying it's worth more than the price of two full games?

    To people that really are fans of the game it is worth it. For those who just want to say "hey, I play GW2 once in a while", it's not worth it.

    For months folks have complained that there was no expansion and were willing to pay good money for one, now there will be and the "once in a while" players are complaining about $50. Those that love the game will easily give the money for it...it's very, very, cheap entertainment and will no doubt give hundreds of hours of game content.

    I know it's been said over and over, but if folks don't want to pay $50 just don't, wait a few months and the price will come down. It seems like if you don't really care much about it and would rather complain then the wait won't be that unbearable. 

    Has anyone really concluded $50 is too much? maybe they have I just haven't seen it, which means it can't be that widespread. You're making it sound like the extreme is the norm, it really isn't. Not that this isn't common around here acting as though the extremes are the only two views represented.

    What complaint have I offered? None that I can see, as I said before my only concern is acting as though value has no meaning.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 

    You're saying it's worth more than the price of two full games?

    To people that really are fans of the game it is worth it. For those who just want to say "hey, I play GW2 once in a while", it's not worth it.

    For months folks have complained that there was no expansion and were willing to pay good money for one, now there will be and the "once in a while" players are complaining about $50. Those that love the game will easily give the money for it...it's very, very, cheap entertainment and will no doubt give hundreds of hours of game content.

    I know it's been said over and over, but if folks don't want to pay $50 just don't, wait a few months and the price will come down. It seems like if you don't really care much about it and would rather complain then the wait won't be that unbearable. 

    Has anyone really concluded $50 is too much? maybe they have I just haven't seen it, which means it can't be that widespread. You're making it sound like the extreme is the norm, it really isn't. Not that this isn't common around here acting as though the extremes are the only two views represented.

    What complaint have I offered? None that I can see, as I said before my only concern is acting as though value has no meaning.

    Never said you in particular complained Distopia, merely adding to the conversation. Sorry if I made it look like "you" were the one I was talking about. It was meant as in general.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    is this still a thing 
  • rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    people shouldn't be so quick to try to force other to pay the price no matter what... and if they really like it they should probably not try to talk them out of buying it either. imagine if the majority of the playerbase thought that the price was to high for a second. you think that GW" would still make a profit just because you decided to buy it at asking price?

    but others are allowed to bitch and bitch about it all day ? and call us idiots ? 

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 

    You're saying it's worth more than the price of two full games?

    To people that really are fans of the game it is worth it. For those who just want to say "hey, I play GW2 once in a while", it's not worth it.

    For months folks have complained that there was no expansion and were willing to pay good money for one, now there will be and the "once in a while" players are complaining about $50. Those that love the game will easily give the money for it...it's very, very, cheap entertainment and will no doubt give hundreds of hours of game content.

    I know it's been said over and over, but if folks don't want to pay $50 just don't, wait a few months and the price will come down. It seems like if you don't really care much about it and would rather complain then the wait won't be that unbearable. 

    Has anyone really concluded $50 is too much? maybe they have I just haven't seen it, which means it can't be that widespread. You're making it sound like the extreme is the norm, it really isn't. Not that this isn't common around here acting as though the extremes are the only two views represented.

    What complaint have I offered? None that I can see, as I said before my only concern is acting as though value has no meaning.

    Never said you in particular complained Distopia, merely adding to the conversation. Sorry if I made it look like "you" were the one I was talking about. It was meant as in general.

    Fair enough, no worries :).

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by rafalex007
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    people shouldn't be so quick to try to force other to pay the price no matter what... and if they really like it they should probably not try to talk them out of buying it either. imagine if the majority of the playerbase thought that the price was to high for a second. you think that GW" would still make a profit just because you decided to buy it at asking price?

    but others are allowed to bitch and bitch about it all day ? and call us idiots ? 

    that would be up to the mods i guess.

     

    there's plenty of insults thrown around in here to go around :P

    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Betakodo

    So they now offer a character slot if you activated the game before a certain date. They should have done that in the first place (See Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall which they did without cash shop items in the game). The game is still too expensive in my opinion for what they claim to have in it, plus I'm pretty sure HoT is going to be loaded with cash shop items anyways.

     

     

    So? Don't buy and don't play it.

    "The game is still too expensive in my opinion "

     

    So you buy a game, and play for free....and it is too expensive.

    Cash shop items are fluff anyway. You can buy them with ingame currency.

    If you can not see the difference between

    1) buying a game for $50, then pay NOTHING for 3y and then buy a expansion for...$50?

    and

    2) buy a game, pay $15/month for 3y and then get a expansion 'free'

    then my friend, we must do business soon because boy, have I got nice stuff to sell to you.

     

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • Lucy_aLucy_a Member UncommonPosts: 7

    The only thing i was unhappy about,was the missing character slot.I didn't want to pay for a slot,just to try out a class i already payed for.

    I think the specializations,new class,pvp mode, wvw map, pve maps,new skill and trait system (i know we get some of that for free but Anet worked a lot on those as well) and mastery system are worth the 45€ price tag. :) 

     

  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    In 4-6 months you can buy the same thing for $15, so just be patient and wait a little bit.

    want 7 free days of playing? Try this

    http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

    As soon as ANet put perks for vets I instantly purchased ULTIMATE pre-order pack. I did say price is not the issue for me. I urge everyone that said price is not the issue to eat their own words. ANet was generous in this situation. 

    Can't wait for the HoT betas. 

    Yes, the price of 50$ is perfectly fine as long as both groups (old and new players) get similar treatment. 

    You guys need to acknowledge the fact that core games becomes bundled with HoT for no added cost. 

    From the blogpost ANet made, they will keep this practice in the future - e.g. bundling all previous expansions + core game under one price tag. Which is a great idea. As long as they put something for the people that played the game in the past couple of years and stayed.

  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    In 4-6 months you can buy the same thing for $15, so just be patient and wait a little bit.

    in 4-6 months HoT will be released maybe

    what they offer you now

    is core game you can start playing now + future expansion

    + access to all the beta tests that will happen for $50

    and guess what if you dont like it you can ask for a refund

     

    strage when ppl didnt QQ when archeage released the $150 pack to a free to play game just for beta access :)

     

  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93

    So I haven't read through this entire thread because honestly, I feel as if it's just the same arguments being spat out over and over again. So, here is what I will say:

    When you bought GW2, you were paying for the base game as well as future content (i.e. living story, fractals dungeon, ascended gear, etc. etc.) Now obviously, cash shop purchases are helping to fund this as well. However, let's assume for a second that the cash shop didn't exist. Do you think the the game would still be around now? Do you think that the amount of content being provided would continue to be pushed out?

    When you buy HoT, you are essentially doing the same thing. You are buying the expansion plus future content (i.e. living story.. new dungeons.. etc).

    If you enjoy playing GW2, and have played it anywhere close to the amount of time I have (~2000 hours over the last 3 years), you should have absolutely no problem supporting them by paying full price for their expansion. No matter how small the expansion is, you are continuing to support development of new content in the future.

    I see some people saying "oh just wait 4-6 months and then you can buy it at a discounted price." Well, I hope it never goes on sale, it's silly that you aren't willing to pay $50 to a game that you obviously enjoy playing.

    tl;dr - Buying GW2 + expansions pays for future development.. if you enjoy the game you should have no problem paying $50.

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Leon1e

    As soon as ANet put perks for vets I instantly purchased ULTIMATE pre-order pack. I did say price is not the issue for me. I urge everyone that said price is not the issue to eat their own words. ANet was generous in this situation. 

    Can't wait for the HoT betas. 

    Yes, the price of 50$ is perfectly fine as long as both groups (old and new players) get similar treatment. 

    You guys need to acknowledge the fact that core games becomes bundled with HoT for no added cost. 

    From the blogpost ANet made, they will keep this practice in the future - e.g. bundling all previous expansions + core game under one price tag. Which is a great idea. As long as they put something for the people that played the game in the past couple of years and stayed.

    What difference does bundling the core-game make for people who already own the core-game? The game is already a few years old, most who wanted it would have bought it by now.  Not sure how that's exactly pertinent to this discussion.

    To me $50 is fine if what I see looks to be worth $50. Which I can't see that at this point, nor the opposite. It's just too early to tell.

    I really don't care much about what others get or don't get, that was never a concern of mine. IF they wanted to charge extra for a character slot,that would be fine to me, if I didn't want to pay it I'd just free up a space by deleting an alt, I still have plenty of slots at the time being anyway. I'm a one toon kinda guy.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    They should just double the price, which would still be a steal, to ward off the cheapskates. 

    You're saying it's worth more than the price of two full games?

    What I'm saying is people need to be supportive of things they enjoy and would like to see continue into the future. It's called life and paying 50 bucks after three years of free content updates is not much in the big scheme of things. All of this over a lousy 50 dollars? I mean if you have to worry about half a c-note every few years then maybe gaming is something that needs less of your time, perhaps some job training or education is in order. 

    That's nonsense. I have been supportive of ANet through their cash shop, which people seem to keep forgetting they have. I have spent quite a bit through it. This expansion may be the only cash you dropped on the game for the past 3 years but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

     

    The expansion needs to stand on it's own merit.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Character slot for pre-owning sounds about right to me.
     
    Think about all the $15/mo games that would charge $50 for the base game and $50 per expansion, not including the original game for several years.
     
    This isn't a bad deal at all. People are just getting more and more greedy.

    ALL the 15/mo games?Like maybe all 3 of them?

    The problem is THEY Arena.Net were the ones who walked down this path BRAGGING about their game and payment plan,so they have to back it up and live it with it now.They Arena.Net and fanbois cannot now dissect it and say well to even out versus a subscription game this is what needs to happen.

    There is actually a lot to this,it really seems they are going for more than usual because they believe the Guild Halls alone warrant it.I believe it all comes down to value.

    If they offered no Guild Halls and just some random maps  with a tad more content,is it really their best effort?SO then you go one step further,is adding Guild Halls "an idea expected from day 1 on release" now good enough to ask for more than fair value?Personally i think it is retarded they don't offer an expansion on it's own,i just paid FOUR dollars for the Adoulin FFXI expansion a couple months ago.If Square tried to fish me in by saying oh but we give you the entire game with all it's expansions so we need to charge 100 bucks,i would be like lol CYA later.I said 100 bucks because the game is at least twice the size of GW2,likely 5x bigger.

    The decision is up to each gamer,no way could i put a fair value on it unless i go through and play the entire expansion.See the problem,NOBODY knows until you already fork over the money.That is the fine line game developers get to fly under because it is always based on opinion and nothing factual.I could break down some facts but again i need to play it first so ya,iot's a risk that i guess you base your decision on "what have you done for me lately".

     

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

    It's something that I would have liked to see but in reality it's far too much to do and separates the playerbase.

    It covers a lot of the bases 

    - as a vet from gw1 I don't mind if they value the old content at $10 forever because at least I know they are valuing it

    - the offer is only open to pre-purchasers so it's made for people who are more genuinely excited for the game

     

    I understand if you feel it might not be worth the 50 bucks but that is subjective. I mean I never expected to get 3 new zones, new items, dungeons and for me the most fun is the major events they do. I have faith that there will be a fair amount of post launch content which will more than justify the price. Does it justify the amount of content AT launch? *shrug* it's highly subjective. 

    I'm too busy soaking in new lions arch atm. It's so nice not feeling obligated to play the game.

    Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Distopia
     

    IF that didn't include content as well as real support, you might have a point, but it usually does... as I said on-going...free content has also been used as a justification for a 50 dollar entry point, by the same poster I was replying to, he's trying to make this about money and being cheap. He can't have it both ways...while we're at it... that's another case study, jumping into arguments and missing the context...

    Anyway, as I've said all along I'll view the value of the expansion when that time comes, reviews and the like should give an accurate picture of what to expect. The only thing I take issue with is people acting as though value has no place or meaning in these discussions.

     

    You pay for content when you buy the box of those games that then charge you $15 to access the content.

    "Real support". Any issue I had in most games have been sorted quickly without requiring a $15 month tag.

    Am I telling you to buy the game?

     

    A game I play everyday is charging me $50 so I can continue the story of the world and have access to new maps.

    A game you don't play is charging you $50 so you can continue a story of a world you don't care and have access to more maps you don't want to play.

    The value of the expansion is obviously going to be different.

    That is why I pre purchased it for my GF and myself, not at $50 but at $100 for the gems and other shinnies.

    This not a new game. We all know the kind of stuff to expect. $50 is a good price to keep locusts outside of it.

    Trying to reduce the "value" of the expansion to a bullet point list, ignoring the baggage of thousands of hours people have is the reason people don't understand why WoW is able to keep players while games that are just newer versions of WoW cannot.

     

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by observer
     

    Isn't that the problem though?  People are blindly pre-purchasing without any info on the upcoming maps.  For all we know, they could be talking about implementing these other maps, post-launch (which could be months for another content update).  We just don't know.

    Anet's secrecy isn't helping matters either.  Colin has already said that everything (referring to features i think) has been revealed (i can't find the quote anymore), whether or not that includes maps too, we still don't know.  If they were perhaps more transparent, and showed some clarity, then maybe their players wouldn't be so distrustful of them.

    p.s.  And yes, i played the beta, and people claimed Verdant Brink still has 2 more layers to it, but i believe that was the full map, but i could also be wrong.

    I'm not blindly pre-purchasing. I have been a happy customer of Anet for the last 9 years.

    And some people don't need exhaustive information, just an overall impression because they want to enjoy the content first hand.

    And we have that.

    We know the PvE maps will be quite vertical, they will have night day cycles that will change what is happening in the map, there will me a map meta event like in dry top and silverwastes.

    Have you seen the new Lion's Arch?

    They just have redesigned it for fun.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 11,075
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by observer
     

    Isn't that the problem though?  People are blindly pre-purchasing without any info on the upcoming maps.  For all we know, they could be talking about implementing these other maps, post-launch (which could be months for another content update).  We just don't know.

    Anet's secrecy isn't helping matters either.  Colin has already said that everything (referring to features i think) has been revealed (i can't find the quote anymore), whether or not that includes maps too, we still don't know.  If they were perhaps more transparent, and showed some clarity, then maybe their players wouldn't be so distrustful of them.

    p.s.  And yes, i played the beta, and people claimed Verdant Brink still has 2 more layers to it, but i believe that was the full map, but i could also be wrong.

    I'm not blindly pre-purchasing. I have been a happy customer of Anet for the last 9 years.

    And some people don't need exhaustive information, just an overall impression because they want to enjoy the content first hand.

    And we have that.

    We know the PvE maps will be quite vertical, they will have night day cycles that will change what is happening in the map, there will me a map meta event like in dry top and silverwastes.

    Have you seen the new Lion's Arch?

    They just have redesigned it for fun.

    Last night I did the new jumping puzzle... it took 3 hours to figure it out with a group of 5 people.  It was actually extremely awesome.

     

    Anyways, that being said, I'm also going to prepurchase.. but to be honest I'm prepurchasing more for the new class mainly, and whatever else comes with that.  The PvE content doesn't even really interest me THAT much -- but you have to think ahead here... now with a new area opening a lot of the free updates will also take place in that new area that people likely won't have access to without it.   Besides, 50 dollars isn't that much money... I spend more than that weekly at 1 restaurant.  The new area is 1 region.. it could be 1 zone with 3 levels or 3 zones with 1 level, or  4 zones with 2 levels, it really doesn't matter.   If the game interests me, and I want to be up to date with it, and the sum for the box is so paltry that its a non issue, its not really a problem.



  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

     As a fan of Guild Wars 2 and a veteran of Guild Wars1, I'm just not convinced that this expansion is worth it. Back in the Guild Wars 1 days, the first expansion(Factions) was also $50, but it added 2 new classes, 2 character slots, new skills for existing classes, new pvp maps/types, Guild halls and a whole new continent that doubled the size of the game world map and was flush with new content/missions. It was worth the $50.

     Now I get that of course Arenanet has bigger bills these days, but they also didn't have a cash shop in GW1(it came much later and was not as heavily used as the GW2 one is).  I know I personally have spent hundreds of $ in the cash shop and I am far from the only one. What really disappoints me is that even before the game was released, they showed us a full map of the world and illustrated how little of it that we actually saw in GW1 and claimed we would be seeing more of the world in GW2 over time. Here we are 3 years later and we have yet to even see a scape of Elona or Cantha from the first GW. Let alone much of any of the world beyond the area that GW1 showed us. Hell, there are parts of the world from the original GW game that we still haven't seen. Crystal desert? Fire island chain?

    It's probably my own biases speaking on this last point, but I really wish they would focus less on the living story and more on new permanent content that opens up more of the game world.  Perhaps put some developer effort and changing up the WvW maps a bit here and there between seasons to make it less stale. Perhaps add more dynamic events in existing areas and new branches in existing ones. At the rate that they are giving us sections of the world, it will be another 5 years before we see cantha or elona and will cost us another $300 in expansions to get there. That is unless we are savvy enough to not buy the expansions as they come out and instead buy them as one after a few of these have come out in about 6 more years(assuming the current rate of expansions) since their plan seems to buy to only sell it bundled as one game. At that point perhaps the content will be worth the $50 asking price.

  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by simplius

    if you dont think 50$ is a bargain for 4 years of entertainment, i suggest you try out the other mmos on the market

    see how far those 50 bucks will get you in those games

     

     

    You cannot value something like that. For me it was 50 Dollar for 2 weeks- leaving nothing but salt in my mouth.

    Far more players left the game , then they stood. If all would still play- all servers would be on high- wich they are not. They probably just decreased the server capacity over time to save money and to let it look like the server is full by todays playerbase- wich they arent compared to release state.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    Originally posted by exile01
    Originally posted by simplius

    if you dont think 50$ is a bargain for 4 years of entertainment, i suggest you try out the other mmos on the market

    see how far those 50 bucks will get you in those games

     

     

    You cannot value something like that. For me it was 50 Dollar for 2 weeks- leaving nothing but salt in my mouth.

    Far more players left the game , then they stood. If all would still play- all servers would be on high- wich they are not. They probably just decreased the server capacity over time to save money and to let it look like the server is full by todays playerbase- wich they arent compared to release state.

     

    I feel $50 is a remarkably small amount of money to pay for so many hours of entertainment. You may feel completely different though since it looks like you don't care for the game. If this was a game you really cared for you would probably pay that much or possibly even more. So, simplius feels that it is a great bargain, I do as well, but you do not, and that is why he suggested folks like you try out the other mmos on the market. :)

    No games stay full after release and generally the player base falls drastically and stablises into a niche title. GW2 is still highly populated and offers one of the best bargains for the price. (if you like the game)

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Distopia
     

    IF that didn't include content as well as real support, you might have a point, but it usually does... as I said on-going...free content has also been used as a justification for a 50 dollar entry point, by the same poster I was replying to, he's trying to make this about money and being cheap. He can't have it both ways...while we're at it... that's another case study, jumping into arguments and missing the context...

    Anyway, as I've said all along I'll view the value of the expansion when that time comes, reviews and the like should give an accurate picture of what to expect. The only thing I take issue with is people acting as though value has no place or meaning in these discussions.

     

    You pay for content when you buy the box of those games that then charge you $15 to access the content.

    "Real support". Any issue I had in most games have been sorted quickly without requiring a $15 month tag.

    Am I telling you to buy the game?

     

    A game I play everyday is charging me $50 so I can continue the story of the world and have access to new maps.

    A game you don't play is charging you $50 so you can continue a story of a world you don't care and have access to more maps you don't want to play.

    The value of the expansion is obviously going to be different.

    That is why I pre purchased it for my GF and myself, not at $50 but at $100 for the gems and other shinnies.

    This not a new game. We all know the kind of stuff to expect. $50 is a good price to keep locusts outside of it.

    Trying to reduce the "value" of the expansion to a bullet point list, ignoring the baggage of thousands of hours people have is the reason people don't understand why WoW is able to keep players while games that are just newer versions of WoW cannot.

     

    I never said you told me to purchase it, what put you on that line of thinking? Who are you referring to that doesn't play, nor want to play?

     

    We can go back and forth about Subs and B2P all day long, it really means nothing to this subject. Nor does what one thinks of Anet in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why so many different diversion keep getting thrown into this conversation.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

    I always find it interesting that those people who do find value in their purchase MUST FORCE others to view the same value for the same purchase.  You all are arguing opinions as if they are facts.   It's always the same people in the same threads for both sides too.  

    “The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

    I always find it interesting that those people who do find value in their purchase MUST FORCE others to view the same value for the same purchase.  You all are arguing opinions as if they are facts.   It's always the same people in the same threads for both sides too.  

    This happens with this game in particular.

Sign In or Register to comment.