Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division Multiplayer Gameplay Walkthrough

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
In this new The Division demo, we follow 3 players as they move through the Dark Zone, a mutliplayer gameplay space in our world, which you can seamlessly enter without any loading screens. 

It's the most dangerous place in the game, with the most powerful enemies and therefore the best loot. But this loot attracts lots of attention, including real players... 

Check out this video to see what happens then!

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Looks more fun and exciting then any mmo coming. Beta signups are now open. image

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-GB/beta/index.aspx

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I see they still have a few bugs to work out but it's a great video.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Not an MMO. Developers have stated on many websites its not an MMO. Here is the first quick google link I found. http://ca.ign.com/wikis/the-division
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by madazz
    Not an MMO. Developers have stated on many websites its not an MMO. Here is the first quick google link I found. http://ca.ign.com/wikis/the-division

At this point, it is wise to steer clear from any of the old MMO templates, I think. So this is a good thing.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

it looks better than mmos

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Mikeha

Looks more fun and exciting  TO ME then any mmo coming. Beta signups are now open. image

Fixed it for ya

cant fix the truth

Who said this was a mmo?

So nobody is gonna mention the graphics downgrade in OPs video?

Remember those videos from 2013? They look way better.

I agree it did look better but the game still looks great.   Is this all you have been reduced to is a person that goes going around forums talking negative about games? What happened to the person that was so into ArcheAge? Is this what happens when a person does not have a game to play?

Who said this was a mmo?

You did, by posting in a discussion forum for MMO's. 

So nobody is gonna mention the graphics downgrade in OPs video?

Remember those videos from 2013? They look way better.

I agree it did look better but the game still looks great. Remember it was first a PC title.  Is this all you have been reduced to is a person that goes going around forums talking negative about games? What happened to the person that was so into ArcheAge? Is this what happens when a person does not have a game to play?

I am staying on topic - which is The Division - and I am pointing out problems I see - I've been following this since 2013 and every year this game has been getting worse.

They removed tablet play, downgraded graphics, reduced number of players in PvP...

What I play is completely irrelevant to this thread as this is not about me - I still play AA and a dozen other MMOs. But what relevance does that have to anything in this thread or any points I brought up? Hmm?

What ever you say my friend but its pretty clear to me what going on. GL to you my friend because you seem to have turned into the people you use to tell others not to become.

Who said this was a mmo?

I don't care what forum its posted in show me anywhere where I said The Division is a mmo. If its in the wrong forum we have mods for that.

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99
    See, the game looks promising and all, but... Uplay. I won't ever play anything that requires Uplay ever again. I simply won't. If the game is multiplayer-centric, I'll just have to miss out on it. If it's not, then I'll go all Jack Sparrow just to try it out.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

it looks better than mmos

Kim Kardashian looks better than Stephen Hawking.

Appearances are ... what exactly?

LOL @ video on 6:50 - he empties an entire clip into the dudes back... and the guy still lives. Pea shooters? 

Here's the video that sums up Division PvP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY

Because we're so used to slashing multiple enemies with swords dozens of times and them just shrugging them off like its nothing -- right?  I didn't hear too many complaints on SWTOR when you could call down air strikes but enemies were still standing,  or when on the movies a single blaster hit would take out pretty much anything but in the game a direct hit from a lightsaber could be shrugged off.

I mean if its an RPG and not just a generic TPS then yes.. you should be able to load up an enemy with plenty of rounds and use skills without 1 shotting everyone.  I don't know why I am explaining RPG mechanics on an MMORPG forum.

Who said this was a mmo?

I don't care what forum its posted in show me anywhere where I said The Division is a mmo. If its in the wrong forum we have mods for that.

I wouldn't worry about that.. the division is listed on this site,  and so is destiny and I think this will be more of a multiplayer game than destiny is.   I also think the gameplay still looks amazing, and that graphically it looks great too.  I'm still greatly looking forward to this above any other mmos coming up.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Doesn't look interesting. FFA PVP is for casuals. Being able to gang up on people with unfair odds trumps any potential depth a PVP game might have, and replaces it with a relatively shallow decision. I prefer my PVP to be focused on skillful competition and as deep as possible, so these sorts of casual games don't appeal to me.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Doesn't look interesting. FFA PVP is for casuals. Being able to gang up on people with unfair odds trumps any potential depth a PVP game might have, and replaces it with a relatively shallow decision. I prefer my PVP to be focused on skillful competition and as deep as possible, so these sorts of casual games don't appeal to me.

I don't think FFA and "full loot"  PVP is for casuals at all... but the way its implemented in this game could be problematic eventually.  I mean its one thing if you just roam around.. pick up items.. and then leave the area by any means necessary... but the extraction point is literally a neon sign saying "I HAVE LOOT COME TAKE IT" and all the other teams in the area can just come in and take it.

I can see extraction point camping being a common occurrence. 

That being said, I think that this game more than many others will have more skillful components to it.  One thing about TPS's with cover mechanics is that a solid knowledge of your surroundings and  a cohesive team can outmatch larger uncoordinated teams.  Most MMOs only have "skillful" competition in focused structured PvP settings.  Open world items like this are otherwise zerg fests.   This "new" style of gameplay may dissuade that from happening. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Looks more fun and exciting  TO ME then any mmo coming. Beta signups are now open. image

Fixed it for ya

cant fix the truth

Opinion is not truth

That's news to me. Usually YOUR opinion is truth when it comes to anything about Trion.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I don't think FFA and "full loot"  PVP is for casuals at all... but the way its implemented in this game could be problematic eventually.  I mean its one thing if you just roam around.. pick up items.. and then leave the area by any means necessary... but the extraction point is literally a neon sign saying "I HAVE LOOT COME TAKE IT" and all the other teams in the area can just come in and take it. 

That being said, I think that this game more than many others will have more skillful components to it.  One thing about TPS's with cover mechanics is that a solid knowledge of your surroundings and  a cohesive team can outmatch larger uncoordinated teams.  Most MMOs only have "skillful" competition in focused structured PvP settings.  Open world items like this are otherwise zerg fests.   This "new" style of gameplay may dissuade that from happening. 

How could it not be casual?

• Pure PVP: If you're not more skilled than your opponent(s), you lose.
    • FFA PVP: If you're not more skilled than your opponent(s), just bring more friends and win anyway.
    So it's certainly more casual in terms of skill not being an absolute requirement to win.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Lots of single player games are also listed on this site. Seriously man... think. Just think.

Good sounds like a post apocalypse to me

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Who said this was a mmo?

General Gaming = any game. Since when is using proper forums a bad thing for non-mmo related games?

Originally posted by itbewilly

Who said this was a mmo?

General Gaming = any game. Since when is using proper forums a bad thing for non-mmo related games?

This was originally posted in the MMO forums. He also posted a thread for the 4 player game Destiny in the MMO forums. Both were moved.

Good sounds like a post apocalypse to me

Right, some players aren't looking for game depth. To them, realism might be more important.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Volgore

Fixed it for ya

cant fix the truth

Opinion is not truth

That's news to me. Usually YOUR opinion is truth when it comes to anything about Trion.

Still doesn't change the whole Opinion is not truth thing. And the Trion thing, is that even relevant? if your going to make a statement about something, you need to be very sure about what you know to be true, unless of course, its in your Opinion too.image

Originally posted by maskedweasel

How could it not be casual?

• Pure PVP: If you're not more skilled than your opponent(s), you lose.
    • FFA PVP: If you're not more skilled than your opponent(s), just bring more friends and win anyway.
    So it's certainly more casual in terms of skill not being an absolute requirement to win.

FFA PvP only works with a zerg mentality when you can define the specifics of your group and have constant knowledge of your environment.  I don't see that to be the case here for the following reasons:

• PvE mobs in the PvP zone were still pretty tough to beat with a 3 person group.  Ambushes even by small groups on larger ones with PvE help can even odds quite a bit.
    • The premise of FFA PvP is that you can have any number of random "factions" vying for loot, and groups have so far appeared to be small 3 man groups. Even if you brought 12 people to a fight.. only 3 would get the loot. I find that this cures more "zergs" than it creates.  Even with a dedicated 3 faction system, you still end up with some factions being much larger than others, and you've seen this on pretty much every game that has factions.
    • What games are exactly "pure PvP" anyways?  Some of the hottest PvPcentric titles right now are games like GuildWars2 which requires all the skill minus the loot, in WvW it has a 3 "faction" system, and in the end its ALL about the zerg mentality.  In Structured PvP there is no loot, skill does often win out, but we're not talking about structured PvP -- Any structured PvP that The Division has would have a player cap obviously.
    • Casual usually means you can pop onto something that doesn't take much skill and leave with the same amount of loot as someone that has 100s of hours of time has.  We can't base that off of what we saw in the video.
    Not to mention that if you're not more skilled than your opponent just bring more friends to win -- thats every MMO ever.  I have yet to see an MMO where that isn't the case.  Sure I've had instances where a small group can take on a larger one.. but we're talking about maybe 5 players taking on 8 - 10 players.  Theres nothing here that makes me feel like the same cannot be said.  In fact,  we saw a team of 3 players take on two sets of NPCs and 2 human controlled teams fo 3.    The game may end up being casual.. but it won't be because its FFA Team based PvP.