Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I love those old school franchises like Doom /Quake and Unreal and will be playing this.

I do see some poor optimization with a very short LOD view distance.I also think that gun stabbing could use more animation frames,it looks too fast.I would also like to see more options on movement/pathing,one singular linear path is not as fun as it used to be 15-20 years ago.

I would also like to see a more persistent world,everything in games like these seems to just spawn as  you hit some control point in your travels.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I love those old school franchises like Doom /Quake and Unreal and will be playing this.

I do see some poor optimization with a very short LOD view distance.I also think that gun stabbing could use more animation frames,it looks too fast.I would also like to see more options on movement/pathing,one singular linear path is not as fun as it used to be 15-20 years ago.

I would also like to see a more persistent world,everything in games like these seems to just spawn as  you hit some control point in your travels.

I would like more bigger levels also and more open to explore.

Did you ever play the new Wolfenstein and the Prequel The Old Order?  They are pretty good.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I can see the multiplayer and coop being fun with some friends but i dont know about the single player campaign.

I was never into Doom games on super nintendo so i dont know how they treat the single player but unless i see some interesting story going on it probably wont catch my interest. Mindless killing gets tiring quickly when you are playing alone.

It does look pretty good visually, and i love the amount of guns you can carry. More shooters should do the same.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Game looks amazing but I don't think something like this can keep be going long term. Just looks too mindless to me.
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

19 years of Quake today

Still playing :D/

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• Alpha_ChinoAlpha_Chino Member UncommonPosts: 36
    People complaining of mindless shooters.  Does quest grinding pique or tickle your medula?!
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I love the Doom series. It's part of my childhood. I love Doom 2 and Doom 3 for different reasons. I wish this game was more like Doom 3 than Doom 2. It appears like it's more like Doom 2. I am exploding with anticipation.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Definite buy for me.

And the only reason why I might call it a mindless shooter is if I could use one weapon/skill and be in a GOD mode.

Hopefully that's not the case and that each enemy's has its own strengths/weaknesses that in turn might provides a more tactical on the fly scenario thus not at all mindless.

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Ah yes this is a preorder purchase for me. I grew up on rise of the triad, heretic, wolfenstein and of course doom started it all for me.

Drunk missles ftw.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    The monsters seems to be small ! I would up the scale alot so things were more intimidating. So Doom is about a jumping super soldier, who just lives to see the inside of monster :( Will get this when it is on sale, noway before.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Game looks amazing but I don't think something like this can keep be going long term. Just looks too mindless to me.

Get quest, kill 1000 boars, get reward, rinse & repeat 5 million times is much more amusing indeed.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185

The reason some of us played Quake World, Quake 2/3 and Unreal Tournement for over a decade is because playing against real people is never mindless. Plus all the player built maps added to the diversity of environments. 

Today, with the Facebook gamers skill cap, we run around killing 3 phase AI bosses or the occasional PvP dominated by level, class, or gear differences. 

A return to this type of gaming might just be the panacea. 

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Originally posted by Nephelai

The reason some of us played Quake World, Quake 2/3 and Unreal Tournement for over a decade is because playing against real people is never mindless. Plus all the player built maps added to the diversity of environments. 

Today, with the Facebook gamers skill cap, we run around killing 3 phase AI bosses or the occasional PvP dominated by level, class, or gear differences. 

A return to this type of gaming might just be the panacea. 

Kind of the reason why I fire up Gunmaster games in BF3 now and then.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Ah yes this is a preorder purchase for me. I grew up on rise of the triad, heretic, wolfenstein and of course doom started it all for me.

MY MAN *highfive*

ROTT has Steam/GOG crossplay now

One of the first to do that :p

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Will play this with the Oculus Rift.   Will be interesting to play this classic in a new way!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Holy shit xD

that's straight up heart attack material :D

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Did we watch the same thing? The gameplay was so slow I almost fell asleep watching. It also looked like it was played with a controller. It looked more like doom 3 with the dark corridors and slower gameplay. Being a FPS that's gonna be released on consoles should tell you what kind of game you are going to get.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by patlefort
    Did we watch the same thing? The gameplay was so slow I almost fell asleep watching. It also looked like it was played with a controller. It looked more like doom 3 with the dark corridors and slower gameplay. Being a FPS that's gonna be released on consoles should tell you what kind of game you are going to get.

Did you see the Hell gameplay because it was pretty fast.  If they make it too fast than it ends up feeling like a arcade game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_XbtE6g3GM

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I've been a DOOM fan for decades, but I really wasn't impressed with this trailer. The graphics looked great and all, and I realize a shooter is a shooter, but when I get a new UT, there are new settings, characters, vehicles, and stuff that at least keeps the game fresh.

This trailer looks like the game I played 10 years ago. Now, before someone gets on me about shader this and mipmap that, consider that it was cutting edge graphics then and it's cutting edge graphics now, so as someone that played DOOM 3 in 2004 and is looking as the new DOOM now, there still is nothing new there. It genuinely looks the same but with more fire effects. Again, for the completely obtuse, I know the graphics are better if you side-by-side them right now. Thing is, I am not playing DOOM 3 right now, and neither have many other FPS gamers, so that's a bit of a silly comparison. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by patlefort

Did you see the Hell gameplay because it was pretty fast.  If they make it too fast than it ends up feeling like a arcade game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_XbtE6g3GM

I watched it all. That's still pretty slow to me. Compared it to brutal doom 2.  Or serious sam 3.

Originally posted by Muke

Get quest, kill 1000 boars, get reward, rinse & repeat 5 million times is much more amusing indeed.

If that's all you do then something like Doom is where you belong.image

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I've been a DOOM fan for decades, but I really wasn't impressed with this trailer. The graphics looked great and all, and I realize a shooter is a shooter, but when I get a new UT, there are new settings, characters, vehicles, and stuff that at least keeps the game fresh.

This trailer looks like the game I played 10 years ago. Now, before someone gets on me about shader this and mipmap that, consider that it was cutting edge graphics then and it's cutting edge graphics now, so as someone that played DOOM 3 in 2004 and is looking as the new DOOM now, there still is nothing new there. It genuinely looks the same but with more fire effects. Again, for the completely obtuse, I know the graphics are better if you side-by-side them right now. Thing is, I am not playing DOOM 3 right now, and neither have many other FPS gamers, so that's a bit of a silly comparison. 

I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm hoping a well written and executed cooperative campaign will change my view on it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Looks like a tech demo to showcase the engine. I hope this game has some kind of story and is not  just a random run and gun.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

It looked fine to me.

The combat seemed better, obviously more with the hand to hand destruction.

Do we really need vehicles or story in a doom game?

I will agree that some story to lead you along is fine but the story for most doom games is pretty straight forward.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by laserit

I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm hoping a well written and executed cooperative campaign will change my view on it.

What? This is Doom we are talking about, all that is needed is lots of baddies, lots of ammo and fast paced carnage.

Your opinion is noted, but is not what the series is about.