Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making Amends?

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,253
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

Facts about what? I literally don't know what you're going on about. I asked you a few question. You have been unable to answer them. And in a strange twist, you have asked me for the "facts". 

Can you at least link to the post on the official forum if you are going to quote it? You literally linked something, "quoted" it, and then said it was on a different forum than you linked. How about you show me where this random said those words on the official forums?

You are so eager to mark me as a liar that it's amusing.

I never said I have facts - I said this is what I heard:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/page/72

And that is just one of the posts about this, which I saw while skipping over the 70 pages of angry people.

So I asked you to prove me wrong with your facts.

The whole message of this thread was "Players are angry - Anet acknowledges it - things may change" 

Having said so I will stop answering you because your attempts to discredit me are resulting in a spam here that makes people forget about the original message.

Oh but before I quit answering you, I think I owe you an answer - or at least you feel that way.

Anet sold the original client for 10€ several times. People bought it for that price which is usually a sign that they don't feel the price is unfair.

So if they find it fair to pay that amount then why should I consider it unfair?

It really is hilarious that your evidence comes from a random. I don't need to discredit. At least I know that you think the base game is worth $10. Are you ok with them charging $10 for that base game and asking for $50 for the expnasion?

At that point, how far off is their offering? They are giving new players an extra $10 in value for being new and that bothers you? 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,797
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,404

Wonder what the "real" reason EQ2 charged $50 for their last xpac, or WoW charged $50 for its last xpac, or LotRO has charged $50 for some of its xpacs, or... Why again are we wondering why this xpac is priced at $50 but we've never wondered before why all the previous xpacs were $50.

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,172
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    when the expac was announced and it wasn't a free expac, I deleted GW2 from my pc, no use in playing a game that has a cash shop and rediculous upfront fees. Now that's what I call entitlement, but you know what, I am entitled to the expac for free because they have cash shops. I would gladly pay for the expac if there wasn't any cash shop. Oh well I guess they won't get any of my money.

My assumption is that they would not have gained any of your money anyway. So really what do they loose? Unless you did actually spend money on the cash shop that is. 

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

Merchant: Hey I have this nice item for a fair price.

Customer: Oh the price / value ratio seems fair - I will buy it.

Customer: I love this - I will support the company with additional purchases.

*3 years later*

Merchant: Hey I have a new item for the same price.

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

Harbinger of Fools
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

So this expansion costs exactly the same as other MMO expansions, even compared to MMOs with box fee and subscriptions that still hardly offer more than this game.

Wahhhh ANet this and that!

So this expansion costs exactly the same as other MMO expansions.... and now we give you the original game for free on top!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ANet this and that! Even worse!

Waahhh and I want more for paying less! Or I will take my money elsewhere paying more for the same or even less in all those alternatives I have!

Ohh and random conspiracy to explain this uh totally "unexpected" and "baffling" price equal to pretty much any other MMO expansion these days, on totally solid basis of anonym redditard post making up the typical reddit conspiracy bullshit and claiming utter nonsense about a Daewoo analyst making projections on basis of assuming the expansion cost as much as a expansion these days normaly costs and assumed salesnumbers, claiming it "pressured" NCSoft into this completely normal and hardly differently to be expected price class for a quality MMO like GW2.

Ok thanks for the laugh and see you in HoT!

I don't really see what is so hard to get... It's not about what other studios charge, it's about what you get for the price, that's what determines value. There's no conspiracy, just simple opinions at work, as value is subjective. I'm sure plenty of people bitched about the prices of other expansions based on the same principle thinking, IE is that expansion worth the price? Not based on what other companies do, but what is coming in that box individually. 

Maybe other player-bases just aren't as hostile over such opinions, meaning those threads don't get the traction they have here in this case? That's what really makes no sense, who doesn't expect some to be unhappy with the value of something? That will always be the case. Certain groups deal with it better than others.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768

Thing is it feels a bit like we aren't discussing a game or business but something else.

*3 years later*

Customer: Hmm but from what I can tell  it has a lot less to offer than the previous deal - no, either lower the price or I will wait.

Crowd: You are so selfish, he offered you a really good deal last time so you are indebted to him and in no position to question the new item.

Wow, how self-serving is that?  look, if this was about something other than people wanting something for as little as possible it might be a worthy thread.  Why can't you people just admit it is about money.

Also, it is funny that in your little post the customer is allowed to question the new item but the crown can't question the customer.  But I guess you feel you are ENTITLED to do that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

*3 years later*

Wow, how self-serving is that?  look, if this was about something other than people wanting something for as little as possible it might be a worthy thread.  Why can't you people just admit it is about money.

Also, it is funny that in your little post the customer is allowed to question the new item but the crown can't question the customer.  But I guess you feel you are ENTITLED to do that.

This works both ways you know? The entire running theme of both of these threads has been essentially folks are in the wrong for questioning the value of said product... Think about that for a second...

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

*3 years later*

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

Originally posted by Kefo

you're right! I should start bitching to daybreak about EQ because I dumped money on expansions up to and including GoD but now its all offered for free! I should be given my money back.

I should also be given back my money for all that sub time I paid for since the game is free! If I decide to buy the newest expansion then when the next expansion comes out and everyone else gets the previous expansion for free then I should also get my money back....with interest! and a hooker to give me my money! and to wipe my nose when I start bawling like a spoiled brat!

Well your hostility aside: What does a refund of your game and hookers have to do with people not buying an expansion?

Harbinger of Fools

*3 years later*

WHat does your response have to do with what was posted? Expecting a purchase to equal the value of money spent = want it for free, do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?

Well your hostility aside: What does a refund of your game and hookers have to do with people not buying an expansion?

Well my post was to illustrate how stupid your post and more importantly your OP is. ANet is giving the base game for free. You are bitching because you already have the base game you should be given another code to the game. With my example I was bitching because I paid for those EQ expansions but now they are being given away for free.

The only difference is that I am not an entitled brat.

P.S. forgive me for my hostility, I have a low tolerance for stupid.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

clearly a lot of people dont think the xpac is worth 50$

calling them names and yelling at them aren't going to suddenly get them to decide that 50$ is an alright price.

if you cant convince players that it is worth it then it obviously isn't  

yeah it's easy to go on saying that everyone just want everything for free but i doubt they'd even own the base game if that was true.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Originally posted by Distopia

*3 years later*

WHat does your response have to do with what was posted? Expecting a purchase to equal the value of money spent = want it for free, do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?

I'll break it down into categories:

Buy the expansion if

1. You honestly enjoy the game and would like to support ANet
    2. You played originally and the expansion looks cool so you will come back with this purchase
    3. You are someone who has never played the game before but it looks fun!
    Don't buy the expansion if

1. You don't like the game
    2. You feel ripped off because you already paid for the base game, sunk possibly hundreds of hours into the game and now feel like ANet owes you something.
    Honestly if I were ANet I would just tell everyone to suck it up and stop bitching. If they kept up with it then I would just start closing accounts with the explanation "Now you won't feel ripped off when you buy the expansion, you're welcome"
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

calling them names and yelling at them aren't going to suddenly get them to decide that 50$ is an alright price.

yeah it's easy to go on saying that everyone just want everything for free but i doubt they'd even own the base game if that was true.

I don't think anyone in here, myself included, is trying to convince people that the expansion is worth their hard earned money I think we are just trying to tell them to shut the hell up. If you think its worth the money then buy it. If not then don't. Don't start threads about how up in arms you are about a luxury item.

*3 years later*

Buy the expansion if

2. You played originally and the expansion looks cool so you will come back with this purchase

2. You feel ripped off because you already paid for the base game, sunk possibly hundreds of hours into the game and now feel like ANet owes you something.
    Honestly if I were ANet I would just tell everyone to suck it up and stop bitching. If they kept up with it then I would just start closing accounts with the explanation "Now you won't feel ripped off when you buy the expansion, you're welcome"

So in other-words, question nothing? .... That's all this comes off to me as, you're either a hater or blindly follow the game, there's no middle ground to be had. No question to be asked, it's worth it or not worth it... sight unseen.

Peopel wonder why I keep coming back to these threads, this is why, I find this kind of view astounding it just makes no logical sense.

Kefo" I'm here to tell people to shut-up..". WOW...

I don't think anyone in here, myself included, is trying to convince people that the expansion is worth their hard earned money I think we are just trying to tell them to shut the hell up. If you think its worth the money then buy it. If not then don't. Don't start threads about how up in arms you are about a luxury item.

forums are meant for discussions aren't they? to have one someone usually has to have an opinion about something

telling people to shut up is not really a good counter argument. 

*3 years later*

Buy the expansion if

So in other-words, question nothing? .... That's all this comes off to me as, you're either a hater or blindly follow the game, there's no middle ground to be had. No question to be asked, it's worth it or not worth it... sight unseen.

Peopel wonder why I keep coming back to these threads, this is why, I find this kind of view astounding it just makes no logical sense.

It's a luxury item. Do you know what that means? Means you don't need to buy it. You won't starve to death if you don't own it, you won't die from the elements if you don't buy it.

If this were a thread about how food prices are rising and people are dying from hunger for no reason then sure your point would hold weight but this is a luxury item.

I will say it again if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy it. Here's part of a quote from earlier in the thread that sums up your last post nicely.

"What does your response have to do with what was posted?.....do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?"

forums are meant for discussions aren't they? to have one someone usually has to have an opinion about something

I'm all for discussion. If you want to talk about how you think that this expansions content is worth the money or not then by all means. I know nothing about the expansion except its title so it might not be a very lively one if you tried to engage me.

Someone coming to a forum to complain how they feel ripped off because they bought the original game years ago and aren't getting something for free because of that fact is not discussion.

I'm all for discussion. If you want to talk about how you think that this expansions content is worth the money or not then by all means. I know nothing about the expansion except its title so it might not be a very lively one if you tried to engage me.

Someone coming to a forum to complain how they feel ripped off because they bought the original game years ago and aren't getting something for free because of that fact is not discussion.

me personally i'm not sure if i think it's worth it yet.. but probably not from what they've shown so far.

and from what i understand people are feeling ripped off for a number of reasons not that they want stuff for free.

mostly i guess the marketing department has done some shady stuff etc

let it play out and see where it goes or just ignore it if you have no interest in it. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    ^Why...this thread?

Because the shitstorm is so big that Anet may reconsider?

Reconsider what? There are 3 packages: $50 for the xpac, $75 for characters slot and goodies, $100 for all that plus 4k gems.

Pick one. Or not.

Reconsider that new players pay 50 and get ~30 zones   -  old players pay 50 and get ~3 zones

I fail to see how this is different from any other MMO expansion. 

I can hop on the crazy train as well and argue new players should pay less since you got to experience those other 27 zones for a few years and they have to do it all at once. See how crazy that sounds?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I begin to think the biggest issue is the naming. GW2 = $50. There is no such thing as an expansion, as you can not buy HoT individually. The only product they sell right now contains all the content. All zones, all classes, all items, you name it.

If they would sell a cheaper version that is only the new things, even if it still costs like $30, so you spent $80 in total, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

But this way, you have to buy the complete game twice. As some people took WoW as an example: Blizzard sells WoW and the latest expansion individually. The "base" game costs $10, the expansion $30. So you can buy only the base game, really cheap. Or you can upgrade, relatively cheap. Or you buy both, which interestingly isn't available as one product, but it's still cheaper.

FF IXV is similar, you can buy the base game, you can buy the expansion, or you can buy both. The expansion is $20 cheaper than buying both - the exact price of the base game.

Seeing how Amazon sells GW2 for $20, HoT should either be $30 or $50, and the bundle should be $50 or $70, depending on whether they really think HoT alone is worth $50 (hint: They priced in the base game. It's only a formallity whether $50 = $30 for HoT and $20 for the base game, or $50 for HoT and $0 for the base game).

As said initially, the difference to WoW or FF IXV is that you can only buy the full game, for the full price, there is no expansion.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

It's a luxury item. Do you know what that means? Means you don't need to buy it. You won't starve to death if you don't own it, you won't die from the elements if you don't buy it.

If this were a thread about how food prices are rising and people are dying from hunger for no reason then sure your point would hold weight but this is a luxury item.

I will say it again if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy it. Here's part of a quote from earlier in the thread that sums up your last post nicely.

"What does your response have to do with what was posted?.....do people not see how illogical as well as sensational that leap is?"

What you're showing is that you don't like the OP sharing his view on things, so I can't see how my last response isn't fair toward what you said. This is a forum for game discussion, worth of an expansion would be covered under that.

As for the rest of this response, it's telling of just how much you understand the concept of a Forum. IF someone was talking about food costs here and not in-game food costs, that discussion would be removed. I don't agree with the OP, doesn't change that he is entitled to share his thoughts like the rest of us, if you don't wanna read it, open another page and move on. telling people to "shut the hell up" isn't going to work so well.

Originally posted by Anireth

I begin to think the biggest issue is the naming. GW2 = $50. There is no such thing as an expansion, as you can not buy HoT individually. The only product they sell right now contains all the content. All zones, all classes, all items, you name it.

If they would sell a cheaper version that is only the new things, even if it still costs like $30, so you spent $80 in total, this whole thing would be a non-issue.

I believe this was the original plan seeing how they have been selling Gw2 with a large discount and the message that it will be needed for HoT for a long time.

Additionally there were posts of lawyers who said that this could get Anet in conflict with the law.

Now before people go all up in arms - I am not saying anyone should sue Anet.

I am saying if a company suddenly changes plans and this change could mean legal troubles for them then clearly the decision had been rushed.

Harbinger of Fools
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,157

Reconsider that new players pay 50 and get ~30 zones   -  old players pay 50 and get ~3 zones

That's not what the petition is asking for.  It only asks for an extra character slot for free.

Your argument in this post ignores the fact that the vanilla game is old and needs to be either free or really cheap to attract new players.