Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this P2W ? Just askin'.....

Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221
"Among the participants in the SWTOR: Knights of the Fallen Empire announcement parade was one fellow bellowing out, “You’ll be able to create a level 60 character!” But there was so much noise and pomp in that procession that it might have been easy to overlook this important feature.

Players curious about what the instant level 60 character will entail received some — but not complete — clarification on the forums by BioWare CM Eric Musco: “As a subscriber, when you getFallen Empire you will receive one free level 60 character. This character must be a new character, you cannot ‘boost’ an existing character up to 60. Beyond that first one which is included free withKotFE, you can purchase additional level 60 characters through the cartel market at any time.”

Musco went on to say that the team expects (but does not promise) that the maximum character limit will increase by two to accommodate the change. He also mentioned that more details about how the instant 60 would plug into the game and how companions and crew skills will be affected are forthcoming. You’re also going to have to sit on any questions about operations until the team addresses the topic in a future post.

Also pertaining to the expansion, Musco confirmed that the two playable factions will remain separate (i.e., no cross-faction team-ups) while the new faction will be purely NPC-driven."

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/17/swtor-clarifies-knights-of-the-fallen-empires-instant-level-60-character/#comments

This is not a troll thing, I just want some peoples opinion........might get me a 60......

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

SWTOR's model has always been: Subscribe to Win and this is pretty much in line with that.

Pay to win implies you get a large advantage by paying more and more money into the cash shop, which is not SWTOR where you gain a huge advantage by paying $15 a month and very little advantage going beyond that.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Some will say yes, some will say no. I tend to be more strict about the definition and say that P2W implies that you can gain statistical advantages by spending cash to purchase items or upgrades which cannot be obtained, in-game, through regular play and time investment. 

That being said, I still subbed to SWTOR for 3 months when I was playing, just to get enough cash and buy enough unlocks off the AH to make my life as a freeloader a little easier :) Now I don't play often, but the trailer for the expansion looks crazy good. I want. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

“As a subscriber, when you get Fallen Empire you will receive one free level 60 character. This character must be a new character, you cannot “boost” an existing character up to 60. Beyond that first one which is included free with KOTFE, you can purchase additional level 60 characters through the Cartel Market at any time,” Musco wrote.

His exact quote...notice you can "buy" additional level 60's in the cartel market......i'm done,was planning on finishing some older toons,but ..yeah i'm done.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    in short. no.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by orionblack

“As a subscriber, when you get Fallen Empire you will receive one free level 60 character. This character must be a new character, you cannot “boost” an existing character up to 60. Beyond that first one which is included free with KOTFE, you can purchase additional level 60 characters through the Cartel Market at any time,” Musco wrote.

His exact quote...notice you can "buy" additional level 60's in the cartel market......i'm done,was planning on finishing some older toons,but ..yeah i'm done.

It's not really any different from all those people who have a full account (22) of level 60's already.

If it was a brand new game, or a PvP focused one I could see about getting upset about it... but in the current swtor getting upset because someone "cheats" to get to level 60 makes about as much sense as screaming at someone for modding their Mass Effect single player game.

Both don't affect you when it comes down to it. There is no territory to control, no castles to siege, nothing, nada, zilch where this gives them an advantage over you. (In fact I think it'd be a pretty stupid thing to do, since you're skipping what makes the game interesting.)

But each to his own.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

There is another post actually. 

• The Outlander: your character’s past will be a key part of their identity as the Outlander moving forward. The choices you’ve made, romances you’ve pursued, your class, etc are all a part of who your character is, and those decisions will be honored in KOTFE; often in unexpected ways. How that works for characters who are created at level 60 is something we’ll dive into in the future, but we will not be setting a “canon” version of any class or world storyline. Your choices matter – that’s at the heart of our storytelling philosophy at Bioware.

• Companions: there’s a ton of stuff going on with companions in this release, and we’re not ready to dive into most of it just yet. What I can say is that past companions will return in the story, sometimes as very critical parts of the overall story shared by all Outlanders. Which classes can recruit which characters, who can be romanced, who can you kill and who might betray you? You’ll have to play and see  Finally, I’ve seen a lot of people referencing the KOTFE page’s character list as a list of companions – not everyone on that list will become a companion, and not every companion in the story is included in that list

So if you care about the story, you should level those toons till 60.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    To me " pay to win " means i can purchase something with real money that gives me a advantage against you in pvp.  and since you cant purchase in game pvp gear with real money ( that i know of ) i would say no its not pay to win because gear is the only thing that really makes you great at pvp in this game.  gear > skill.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I just don't see why anyone cares.

Its already been shown by several games that this is a non issue.  The people that dont like leveling are the ones that find ways to power level through and rarely interact with others or 'learn their class'.  People that enjoy leveling will still do it.  No impact on pre-60 game, no impact on post 60 game.  Non issue.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by syriinx

I just don't see why anyone cares.

Its already been shown by several games that this is a non issue.  The people that dont like leveling are the ones that find ways to power level through and rarely interact with others or 'learn their class'.  People that enjoy leveling will still do it.  No impact on pre-60 game, no impact on post 60 game.  Non issue.

^this... I don't see 'what' you could pay to win... not even sure what you 'win' in this case.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I think I can sum up my impression as this, "If you don't subscribe, you have to pay extra just to be able to make your character  run." Just saying.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game isn't pay to win, as pretty much all you could buy in the cash shop is cosmetic items, adaptable gear that anyone can use, not cheap tbh, but, if you want to create your own 'look' i can see how they made money from it, as the gear just isn't available in game except from the cash shop, but, level 60 characters, kind of a waste, as the only really good part of the game, is the journey from 1 - 60, and once you hit 60, your limited to just pvp and ops, grinding either of those options gets boring real fast, so i can't really see the point in having a level 60 character as you would have missed out on the whole point of getting to level 60 in the first place, bit like buying a game and paying someone else to play it for you, where is the fun in that?image
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Phry
    like buying a game and paying someone else to play it for you, where is the fun in that?image

I figure it'll be mostly hardcore raiders and PvPers that will ever consider using the option. Many of them have already power-leveled alts to 60 through KDY and now probably by space barring through the class stories at 12x xp.

Besides, there's clearly a market for it since RMTs have been offering the service for years. Probably won't be a cheap thing to do beyond that first free one. I can't recall what WoW's charging for that level boost, but I thought it was rather pricey.

Either way, I won't object at people throwing money at Bioware and then getting bored. They likely weren't the types that would've stuck around anyway.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

If that is the case, they might as well delete all the pre-level 60 content, make level 60 the new default level and build from there again with a decent engine that is designed for MMO gaming.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    If you consider subscribe to win a version of P2W then yes, that is what SWTOR is all about, once you hit level 20 as a F2P player you are screwed, even if you are a preffered player (those who buy items from the cash shop), you are also screwed at level 20, you have to pay more for regular items, you get less experience etc etc.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

if you have played archeage, you know what a pay to win mmo is.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I say no, true you are getting a level 60 but you won't be anymore powerful then any other person who leveled up to 60 on their own. So you are not gaining any advantage, just saving some time.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Phry
    The game isn't pay to win, as pretty much all you could buy in the cash shop is cosmetic items, adaptable gear that anyone can use, not cheap tbh, but, if you want to create your own 'look' i can see how they made money from it, as the gear just isn't available in game except from the cash shop, but, level 60 characters, kind of a waste, as the only really good part of the game, is the journey from 1 - 60, and once you hit 60, your limited to just pvp and ops, grinding either of those options gets boring real fast, so i can't really see the point in having a level 60 character as you would have missed out on the whole point of getting to level 60 in the first place, bit like buying a game and paying someone else to play it for you, where is the fun in that?image

Agree.

If you have never played SWTOR then you would be much better off just downloading the game and playing it. In fact I would suggest spending nothing until you know whether you like the game or not. You can get to 50 before you have to decide.

Then the decision is do you like the game enough to buy extra content - the 50-55 and 55-60 expansion. When the second xpac came out they did a combo bundle - first xpac free essentially. And there was a pre-order promotion as well - start playing first xpac right away.

So - as Phry says- start at level 1. You might like the game or you might hate it.

Also - as others have said - it isn't p2w just "restricted" (some would say heavily restricted) for non-subscribers. Not enough to stop you playing hiowever and getting to 50. 

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121

The game is extremely P2W.

if you don't pay real money you can't equip purple items (epics), weapons and armors.

If you don't pay real money you don't have slots to put your abilities, so you can use only some of them.

You are limited to a small amount of money too, so you can't buy form market (AH) unlocks for those absurd F2P limitations. Sure, you can use their retarded system to unlock (not permanently) some money above the limit, but you need to play some months with all restrictions before to do this, and the game is horrible in that way.

I mentioned above only some limitations... in game are a lot more.

P2W = Subscribe to Win for this game. It's not F2P anyway. Worst "F2P" model ever seen.