Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion: HoT overpriced for what you get?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Distopia
    It's unbelievable how people feel entitled to free content because a company chose to provide a B2P model for their product. 

Who said anything about free content? Now we're just making people up to argue with?

You're implying that they shouldn't charge for their expansion to recoup costs and with a B2P model. Don't dance around the argument like you don't know what I've pointed out about you.

I thought that was the point of the original box price. The game also has a cash shop. Last I seen on their financial report it was doing just fine. So... what are you talking about?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It's unbelievable how people feel entitled to free content because a company chose to provide a B2P model for their product. 

Who said anything about free content? Now we're just making people up to argue with?

You're implying that they shouldn't charge for their expansion to recoup costs and with a B2P model. Don't dance around the argument like you don't know what I've pointed out about you.

Holy crap that is a leap. First of all, it's not me they have to worry about if they're still recouping from the original release, my point was I'm not going to factor something I already paid for into a future purchase. SO yea now you're making shit up.

I never even said it wasn't worth 49.99. Never made a declaration I wouldn't buy it, I simply offered an example of what I typically get in gaming for 49.99, been stuck in this argument ever since. Which keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Torval

Not to worried about what you'll accept to be honest.

That's rather rudely dismissive. I thought at least we were having a civil discussion. It's too bad you chose to depart from that  especially after you made a point to point the finger at others who couldn't be civil. I like you and don't want to argue if that is how the discussion will progress.

I don't agree with your last point in red by the way.

Just being honest, I'm not here to win a popularity contest.

The guy pointing out that people are penny pinching scumbags is just being honest too. You can be honest and still show people respect. Thanks for for making it clear where we stand.

I don't typically put crazy statements into the mouths of people I respect that they never said.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by threefeet

heres what you get in HoT:

New character abilities, only usable in Maguuma

A glider, only usable in Maguuma

A bouncing mushroom mount thing, only usable in Maguuma

A character slot if you spend $99 bucks, maybe the $75 one i dunno...

Maguuma, 3 areas. They arent big enough for maps so I'll call them areas. The GW2 base game has 30 maps.

And everyone gets a new class. But most of you have to buy the slot. heh.

these guys havent added anything but a wvw map since release, almost 3yrs. and we didnt need that, it actually took people from the maps we had, so we had less to fight with, making wvw suck.  these guys have zero foresight. do any of you remember at the end before release how they humhawed around and couldnt even decide on hearts or quests? these are the people we are dealing with. its not that they cant do anything, its just they ARENT doing anything. they dont sit around and talk about a grand strategy yrs into the future like they do at wow, gw2 is like 'just throw them a bone, theyll shut up. just make sure those new items are in the store today.'

You missed a bit. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_Heart_of_Thorns#Features

edit: and no I don't remember this at all. I do remember them adding the Heart quests because they weren't sure how people were going to handle the dynamic events. Basically they made it WoW friendly, and they are/were used to guide players through new zones so they could aid in finding dynamic events. And if you have played it you would know that the Hearts are just quests like WoW or Rift have.  There is no hearts OR quests about it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Holy crap that is a leap. First of all, it's not me they have to worry about if they're still recouping from the original release, my point was I'm not going to factor something I already paid for into a future purchase. SO yea now you're making shit up.

I never even said it wasn't worth 49.99. Never made a declaration I wouldn't buy it, I simply offered an example of what I typically get in gaming for 49.99, been stuck in this argument ever since. Which keeps getting more and more ridiculous.

The idea that you are back paying for all the free content isn't really complete anyway. You are also paying for all future content. There is no sub to cover all future content. And on top of that, people don't even know fully what the expansion offers at this point. This is part of the reason why seeing people whine about the price point, without full knowledge of what is in the expansion, looks so ridiculous.

And in the end it still boils down to: if you don't think you are getting value, don't buy it. Bitching about a price point is an easy problem to solve. Vote with your wallet and move on.

Originally posted by BeansnBread

The idea that you are back paying for all the free content isn't really complete anyway. You are also paying for all future content. There is no sub to cover all future content. And on top of that, people don't even know fully what the expansion offers at this point. This is part of the reason why seeing people whine about the price point, without full knowledge of what is in the expansion, looks so ridiculous.

And in the end it still boils down to: if you don't think you are getting value, don't buy it. Bitching about a price point is an easy problem to solve. Vote with your wallet and move on.

I never actually bitched about the price point, that's what makes this hilarious. Technically I never even implied it wasn't worth it. I have no idea if it is or not. I've spent countless pages arguing with people over implied thoughts, it's hilarious.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I never actually bitched about the price point, that's what makes this hilarious. Technically I never even implied it wasn't worth it. I have no idea if it is or not.

I didn't mean to accuse you of that. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

All of those games with the exception of GW2 has a Subscription or an option for Subscribing with perks.

Loyal fans would pay the $14.99 or lump sum for a better deal over time. 6 months would be more or almost equal to the amount of $59.99.

Cash Shop for all those games are optional, you are not forced to buy anything.

$59.99 for Base game for 3 years and $49.99 for an Expac is pretty fair deal for any loyal fan. Compared to $539.64 for 3 years at $14.99.

******DO YOU FEEL RIPPED OFF NOW?******

That's irrelevant.  I'm not comparing the base game + expansions, but if you really want to, then your argument still fails.

WoW + 5 expansions is worth $70.  You get 11 classes, 12 races, countless dungeons, raids, zones, etc.  10 years worth of content.

EQ + 21 expansions, plus 16 years worth of content.

...any other MMO + expansions, still has more content than GW2 + HoT combined.

Including the monthly fee is also disingenuous because you're assuming people are going to pay monthly for 3 years straight, or even play GW2 for 3 years straight.

Some people just can't fathom that others don't find the expansion worthy of $50+, so they label us as "entitled", which is funny.

You just compared 10-16yrs of content released compare to 3 yrs.

/facepalm

What's the difference?  You're the one trying to compare the years here.  I was comparing the expansions solely on their content.  You can't just pick and choose which content is relevant or not.  It's either all of it, or compare the expansions solely on their own.  You can't have it both ways.

I never actually bitched about the price point, that's what makes this hilarious. Technically I never even implied it wasn't worth it. I have no idea if it is or not.

I didn't mean to accuse you of that. I'm sorry if I came off that way.

No biggie, I just thought I'd throw that out there haha.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Would scrooges be more suiting? It's an expansion to a game that's give a brand new class, additions to the current classes and new zones. Honestly that's more than you got from WoW which typically just gives you 5 new levels to grind and a few new zones.

You can't be serious.  Go read my previous list.  I did the comparison of WoD and HoT.  WoD wins in terms of content, as for quality, that is subjective of course.

The fact that you got so defensive though is amusing.  You're pretty reasonable in your posts, but somehow you've been really nasty in this thread.  You, and others, must feel threatened that your "precious" is being criticized and judged.

I've defended GW2 in the past, and i've always criticized it too, but at least i'm not being an asshole about it when i disagree with someone.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

All these people that are comparing the apples  and oranges of expansion packs sure miss the big picture when it comes to GW2 don't they.  Can't see the forest for all the trees I guess. GW2 since launch has added 3 more complete zones, and a score of consistent content updates as well. To such an extent that they drove up the very nature of content updates from other developers as well. When you are buying the expansion pack for GW2, do you really think it stops there?  How blind are you to completely dismiss that? Seriously, what a slap in the face to disregard so much.  I am completely satisfied if I have insulted anyone that actually feels Anet is "robbing" them.  If that is all that I was to accomplish today, I would still think it's a good day.  People need to get off their "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to being critics on the forums. These people work hard and you are pissing all over it because you think you know how much an expansion is worth when you don't even know everything that it entails. 

I give props to every developer that tries to put out content to please you people.  I honestly don't know why anyone would do it when the forums are filled with selfish blowhards that don't know anything but how to complain.

Mods, if you want to ban me then ban me. I honestly am so disgusted by some of the "people" here.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by eyelolled

All these people that are comparing the apples  and oranges of expansion packs sure miss the big picture when it comes to GW2 don't they.  Can't see the forest for all the trees I guess. GW2 since launch has added 3 more complete zones, and a score of consistent content updates as well. To such an extent that they drove up the very nature of content updates from other developers as well. When you are buying the expansion pack for GW2, do you really think it stops there?  How blind are you to completely dismiss that? Seriously, what a slap in the face to disregard so much.  I am completely satisfied if I have insulted anyone that actually feels Anet is "robbing" them.  If that is all that I was to accomplish today, I would still think it's a good day.  People need to get off their "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to being critics on the forums. These people work hard and you are pissing all over it because you think you know how much an expansion is worth when you don't even know everything that it entails. 

I give props to every developer that tries to put out content to please you people.  I honestly don't know why anyone would do it when the forums are filled with selfish blowhards that don't know anything but how to complain.

Mods, if you want to ban me then ban me. I honestly am so disgusted by some of the "people" here.

I see no reason they would ban you....but then.....

I agree with your post...so ban me too :P

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by reeereee
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.

You played GW2 for FREE for past 3 years and you paid 250+$ JUST to be able to play FFXIV. And it didnt even have more content than GW2. And now they want MORE money on top of that for some new content.

Now, THATS a robbery.

Anyone who complains that he has to pay 50$ after 3 years of playing, well, you dont deserve it, and frankly, noone cares that much.

So even if they charged 250$ for expansion it would be MORE WORTH it than robbery called FFXIV.

WTH? do u play FFXIV at all? i own both games and GW2 updates in these years have been really lame (living story? that suck) compare to FFXIV (new dungeons, raids, new class/job (nin), maps, housing, marriage, fates, hunts, daily quest, main scenario quests, side stories, etc)

FFXIV 12.99$ i pay are full of fun and tons of new stuff every 1 or 2 months

Originally posted by valoiz
    I'm not saying you guys got screwed but it's one less race, two less classes, and by the looks of it much smaller zones than the FFXIV expansion.

You played GW2 for FREE for past 3 years and you paid 250+$ JUST to be able to play FFXIV. And it didnt even have more content than GW2. And now they want MORE money on top of that for some new content.

Now, THATS a robbery.

Anyone who complains that he has to pay 50$ after 3 years of playing, well, you dont deserve it, and frankly, noone cares that much.

So even if they charged 250$ for expansion it would be MORE WORTH it than robbery called FFXIV.

WTH? do u play FFXIV at all? i own both games and GW2 updates in these years have been really lame (living story? that suck) compare to FFXIV (new dungeons, raids, new class/job (nin), maps, housing, marriage, fates, hunts, daily quest, main scenario quests, side stories, etc)

Answer the question....did you or did you NOT play GW2 for three years free of charge? You opinion of what updates they did is irrelevant. You still played free and had a good deal of content added.

Now compare your FFXIV again....lol....jeebus

Originally posted by eyelolled

All these people that are comparing the apples  and oranges of expansion packs sure miss the big picture when it comes to GW2 don't they.  Can't see the forest for all the trees I guess. GW2 since launch has added 3 more complete zones, and a score of consistent content updates as well. To such an extent that they drove up the very nature of content updates from other developers as well. When you are buying the expansion pack for GW2, do you really think it stops there?  How blind are you to completely dismiss that? Seriously, what a slap in the face to disregard so much.

So again you're implying what exactly? That we repay for the content they already gave us with the first purchase? You do realize they sold the game on the idea the box price/cash shop paid for those updates right? The idea of charging was made out to be unneeded (even a factor of greed). Yet now fans are arguing that's what we're paying for now, what's the difference then?

Last time I checked GW2 was making nc-soft money, which means profit right? Something doesn't add up. I'd assume that's a result of going out of ones way to frame the debate in his favor.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Now, THATS a robbery.

Answer the question....did you or did you NOT play GW2 for three years free of charge? You opinion of what updates they did is irrelevant. You still played free and had a good deal of content added.

Free?

Now, THATS a robbery.

Free?

Yeah free...what did you pay for except the box?

Free?

Paying for a box, that is to include promised content updates= Free...gotcha. That's the model they sold us.

Free?

Paying for a box, that is to include promised content updates= Free...gotcha. That's the model they sold us.

They delivered a ton of free content....sorry you don't like it. But it happened often. All they sold us was the box...not a promise ( I know that's the word you want to use)

Free?

The delivered a ton of free content....sorry you don't like it. But it happened often. All they sold us was the box...not a promise ( I know that's the word you want to use)

Their entire marketing campaign was centered on them being able to offer a full fledged MMORPG experience, with the price of a box. How else is one to read into that? Unless it's an outright lie?

Free?

The delivered a ton of free content....sorry you don't like it. But it happened often. All they sold us was the box...not a promise ( I know that's the word you want to use)

Their entire marketing campaign was centered on them being able to offer a full fledged MMORPG experience, with the price of a box. How else is one to read into that? Unless it's an outright lie?

And they delivered. Sorry you weren't happy...but that is YOU. They delivered what they said. Was not always great content, but they never said "each and every one of you will be thrilled"

Free?

And they delivered. Sorry you weren't happy...but that is YOU. They delivered what they said. Was not always great content, but they never said "each and every one of you will be thrilled"

Maybe you lost context here, or you're just rambling, I don't know... context man...

BTW...Who said I wasn't happy with it, more implied BS, how much from one thread can a person expect?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    BTW some great deals on steam atm
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Making the Original game free for new players is great for new players.

But boy, it sure is a kick in the teeth if you just bought it recently....

I understand the no sub, xpac should be 50 bucks thing...I agree with that.  I guess I would just think they'd say if you had an account with (just an example...) 80 before such and such date, you also get "Insert reward here" for Thanks! for playing the game.

Im not saying it needs to be free gems or 10 free slots.  But like free "fluff" items.  Even if they are already in game, maybe a box you can choose some items out of a certain set of items?

Yes they want to bring in new people (LOOK FREE GAME JUST BUY XPac).  Well, it's similar to cable / phone.  They bring you in with a good deal, slowly raise prices and never give you a break.  Just new people.  PRETEND like you appreciate your current players. :P

Now if they are already doing something for current players in relation to this, I don't see a problem.

This discussion has been closed.