Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext Vaporware?

GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

As the title suggest .  I played in Alpha of Landmark and I felt it was a bit dull after a while and couldn't see it as being a game anyone would actually play for long .

Now with all the drama at SOE with EQNext etc  is this game going to even be released ?

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Ultimately the only answer you are going to get is speculation from us or a promise from the devs themselves. Personally I think it'll be released half finished and then people will forget about it after half a year
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Magic 8 Ball says "Concentrate and ask again."
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Magic 8 ball also say: Open the "Is EQN in serious trouble" and the "Producer's Letter" threads. What can be said at this time has already been said. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    By 2020, vision you will have.  Or perhaps hindsight it will be.

• Callidor80Callidor80 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 21
    Sorry are you asking the definition of vaporware? Because if not I dont think you actually know what it means.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    When was the last time a non-vaporware MMO fired 2/3 of it's staff before release?
  • Callidor80Callidor80 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by reeereee
    When was the last time a non-vaporware MMO fired 2/3 of it's staff before release?

You do realize vaporware means it wont be released at all right? It may be crap when its done, but it most def will be released.

Originally posted by Callidor80

You do realize vaporware means it wont be released at all right? It may be crap when its done, but it most def will be released.

I think it's a little too early to be that confident that this game will make it to release.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm surprised so many people care whether this releases or not, aside from the Landmark sheep. Turning EQ into Disney is insulting to pretty much every EQ fan and that's not even considering some of the worst MMO combat ever made. No one but diehard fanbois are going to take this jest of a game seriously, at least not in it's current form.
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I'm thinking "vaporware" might be too strong of a term, but at this point you almost have to wonder if it's ever going to be officially released.  And honestly, considering the God-awful state of MMOs right now, if EQN dies on the table I wouldn't be surprised at all.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Actually we have some statements it is still being actively worked on, but that is no guarantee that it will be released. At the moment the signs indicate that it is going to wind up being vaporware. Sad for those still working on it.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I have faith that Smedley will release something and it will have EQN in the name. Whether or not there is an actual mmo or even something resembling a FB game remains to be seen.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

They may release EQ Next, but it wont be anything like what we have been listening to over the past couple of years.  Going this long without anything, whether it is in game footage or just a rough blueprint of the game's systems.....yeah, it's vaporware.

I think they are just buying time until they shelve this version of EQ Next....they are probably making some sort of MOBA EQ game, and probably something for your phone.

So they are anticipating a massive backlash when they announce the cancellation, and are just trying to get everything in order so they can introduce us to "Heroes of Norrath, an EQ MOBA game".

Originally posted by koboldfodder

They may release EQ Next, but it wont be anything like what we have been listening to over the past couple of years.  Going this long without anything, whether it is in game footage or just a rough blueprint of the game's systems.....yeah, it's vaporware.

I think they are just buying time until they shelve this version of EQ Next....they are probably making some sort of MOBA EQ game, and probably something for your phone.

So they are anticipating a massive backlash when they announce the cancellation, and are just trying to get everything in order so they can introduce us to "Heroes of Norrath, an EQ MOBA game".

I dunno, it's hard to pass up selling $100+ alpha access.  I could see them scraping something together from player built content from Landmark.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

I dunno, it's hard to pass up selling $100+ alpha access.  I could see them scraping something together from player built content from Landmark.

I think you are right. They will release something that was built by the Landmarkers and given a basic interface, plus some quests.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Archlyte

I think you are right. They will release something that was built by the Landmarkers and given a basic interface, plus some quests.

plus some squirells and birds on the trees...

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I think it's a little too early to be that confident that this game will make it to release.

They just pulled the Landmark staff and made their priority EQN. So I think you can say with a great deal of confidence that it will be released. If they're forecasting a release at the end of 2015 or early 2016 then chances are they have gutted any problematic tech and they are currently working on polishing what they have and building story. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I hope EQ Next is vaporware at this point with everything I have seen and experienced. I hope they kill it, before it kills the EQ name.

They need to scrap the whole project, and just do an EQ Reboot of EQ1.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by fs23otm

I hope EQ Next is vaporware at this point with everything I have seen and experienced. I hope they kill it, before it kills the EQ name.

They need to scrap the whole project, and just do an EQ Reboot of EQ1.

Ooooo, do tell! What have you experienced with EQN? I wasn't aware there was anything playable out there. 

As far as EQ1 goes, I think it's a mistake to reboot it. It's already seen a rise and decline, birth and death, to the point where they're welcoming projects to reboot it, openly. They aren't even defending the IP. The well is dry. 

There are definitely features and aspects of the game I'd like to see return in EQN but I think it's still difficult to say what EQN is going to be right now. It will definitely have mass appeal though, that goes without saying. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

EQNext was already released in a very early unfinished pre-alpha.  It was called Landmark.

The question is what will Daybreak be capable of finishing and adding onto that and rebranding it EQNext.

From what the developers are saying recently, that doesn't sound like very much.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I think that if they even will release something it will be most likely yet another shallow and generic game. So far they have nothing to show other than a couple of atrocious pics.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I'd take a new generic quest hub version of everquest.  Eq2 is still fun but even after all these years the performance still sucks.  If only they anticipated multicore processors...
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by DMKano

The game is actively being worked on - so the intention is to finish and release.

As far as will that happen - most likely yes, but at what sacrifices of the original vision - that remains to be seen.

I think EQN will be released - that's a pretty safe bet - however how many originally promised elements will actually be in the released version - that's anyone's guess at this point.

Can't help but agree...  My optimism gland appears to be rather limp though right now...

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350

Vaporware doesn't mean it will never be released... it means it does not exist.

Coincidentally, One can be working for years on the project, and never assemble the pieces, or put the project fully together.  So until that product exists, it is considered just an idea, or Vaporware.

EverQuest Next does not exists and is indeed 100% Vaporware. There are no EQN servers at Daybreak. There is only the project of Landmark, that Daybreak hopes one day that the assets within LM can be used to build/piece together, to form a new product called EverQuest.

John Smedley dismissed the last question of vaporware, because he did not want to answer truthfully.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

one can only hope.

This discussion has been closed.