Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asking devs to make a Wild West mmo.

syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

in good graphics with a smooth engine. just like red dead redemption.

ive been waiting for one to be made forever.

no browser shit or moba.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

don't count on it .... they don't even do wild west online shooters, which I think is much more appropriate than a wild west MMORPG.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Apparently there is a market though for games where you can play with little elves in miniscule armor,  and big evil wizards in dresses. Not mentioning the Asian market where they are drooling over avatars portraying little girls.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    I've always wanted this.  A western themed MMO has all of the pieces to make an outstanding MMO.  The world setting, guns, costumes, we can play as Cowboys, Indians, Bandits, solo scavengers, heck you can even have other other native races who also challenged for American soil  at the time such as Mexicans etc,.  It has town settings with shops (AH), crafters, bars (social hubs), territory wars, anything needed for a great MMORPG is there aplenty in a Wild West themed MMORPG.   I don't think the fact that that time period is not very popular at this time would hurt this game much.  Many of us are craving for a change from the usual fantasy Elves and Orcs fanfare.  A developer just needs to take the leap and do it.  Sometimes the trail blazer is the one who reaps the rewards.
    Originally posted by Muke
    Apparently there is a market though for games where you can play with little elves in miniscule armor,  and big evil wizards in dresses. Not mentioning the Asian market where they are drooling over avatars portraying little girls.

Dude, get off the Asians.  They have nothing to do with the Wild West.  I swear, some of you are so obnoxious with your personal agendas against Asian developed games.  How do you know they are drooling.  They are huge anime fans.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe they don't view them sexually in the same way you do?  The drool is in YOUR head.  These are video games we are playing.  Not everyone drools over cartoon pixels on a screen or shares your self-righteous views. 

.... wizards in dresses? ... they are called robes and that just so happens to be what what wizards wear *smh

Originally posted by LacedOpium
    I've always wanted this.  A western themed MMO has all of the pieces to make an outstanding MMO.  The world setting, guns, costumes, we can play as Cowboys, Indians, Bandits, solo scavengers, heck you can even have other other native races who also challenged for American soil  at the time such as Mexicans etc,.  It has town settings with shops (AH), crafters, bars (social hubs), territory wars, anything needed for a great MMORPG is there aplenty in a Wild West themed MMORPG.   I don't think the fact that that time period is not very popular at this time would hurt this game much.  Many of us are craving for a change from the usual fantasy Elves and Orcs fanfare.  A developer just needs to take the leap and do it.  Sometimes the trail blazer is the one who reaps the rewards.

and sometimes he will lose his mortgage. 

Why do something that is 99% chance that it will fail? Are you going to risk you whole career & livelihood? May be you should put your money where your mouth is.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

i need a new mmo so bad. and a wild west themed. i can even manage if it was like steampunk wild west.

if they make it good quality, ppl will come. and if they dont mess up the game with an cashshop buy to win thing.

i know nothing about the market but everyone loved red dead redemtion right?

this might just what we need. a solid break from elfs,orcs , stormtroopers and whatnot.

-heres hoping atleast.

ps. sorry for bad grammar.

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

MMO based on Cowboy Bebop

OH YES

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    If done right, it could be a very immersive survival sim. Hell On Wheels Online. I'd play it. 

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Why do something that is 99% chance that it will fail? Are you going to risk you whole career & livelihood? May be you should put your money where your mouth is.

Where do you get 99% fail?  Where do you get your figures, or your proof, that this is going to absolutely, 99%, fail? 

Has it even been tried yet? 

I know for a fact there are a lot of MMORPG fans that have been craving for a Wild West themed MMORPG.  All you need to do is google it.  I was not the one who started this thread, after all.  Besides, what can guarantee more "fail" now days than the same ol' same ol' fantasy crap.

But see what I mean about some of these posters.  And then they lash out condescendingly with stuff like "May be you should put your money where your mouth is." Because lo' and behold, maybe I would back such a venture!

If you're going to huff n puff at least make sure you're standing on solid ground before doing so.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Would I want one?  Sure, but it would never happen. 

Heck High School's can't even have Native American sport's mascot's cuz of the whiner's.  Could you see the heck they'd raise over a game that at least 1 quest would be to go kill X Indians or Mexican's?

The sad fact is there are those that would have us to re-write our history and not face up to the fact that it's not a peaches and cream world out there and never was.

You might as well wish for an MMO on the Thirty Years War.  So would you like to be Protestant or Catholic?  Now that would really spin 'em up!

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

I know for a fact there are a lot of MMORPG fans that have been craving for a Wild West themed MMORPG.  All you need to do is google it.  I was not the one who started this thread, after all.  Besides, what can guarantee more "fail" now days than the same ol' same ol' fantasy crap.

But see what I mean about some of these posters.  And then they lash out condescendingly with stuff like "May be you should put your money where your mouth is." Because lo' and behold, maybe I would back such a venture!

If you're going to huff n puff at least make sure you're standing on solid ground before doing so.

lol .. do you have numbers? You facts are a few people asking for such a game on the internet? I am sure you can convince investors to pour in millions just because of THAT!

And talk is cheap. I don't see why I should not as people to "put your money where your mouth is" if they want devs to risk their careers. Oh, you will back such a venture on kS? How much are we talking about? $100, $1000, $10000?

Devs have to risk their careers, you know.

Originally posted by Nebless

Would I want one?  Sure, but it would never happen. 

Heck High School's can't even have Native American sport's mascot's cuz of the whiner's.  Could you see the heck they'd raise over a game that at least 1 quest would be to go kill X Indians or Mexican's?

The sad fact is there are those that would have us to re-write our history and not face up to the fact that it's not a peaches and cream world out there and never was.

You might as well wish for an MMO on the Thirty Years War.  So would you like to be Protestant or Catholic?  Now that would really spin 'em up!

You make a good point but there are work arounds for that.  Cowboys, Indians, and Mexicans can be made to be generic player characters.  As can the setting.  It doesn't have to be designed as a period piece.  After all, we have all types of combat games depicting battles, wars, and controversy.  This would be no different.  The key is to design the game making sure to give equal honor and respect to all characters, and of course, to not name them after actual people, tribes, or communities of the time.  It can be done.  It just requires due respect and consideration.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Even though RDR was a great western game its multiplayer mode was never popular. 
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

take it easy guys. its just a request for a mmo. :D

if i knew anything at all about making games besides drawing concept art i whould sell my old mom to make this, but i dont.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Wildstar has Western elements in it if you play Exile and it has the accent and sheriffs.
    Chamber of Chains

lol .. do you have numbers? You facts are a few people asking for such a game on the internet? I am sure you can convince investors to pour in millions just because of THAT!

And talk is cheap. I don't see why I should not as people to "put your money where your mouth is" if they want devs to risk their careers. Oh, you will back such a venture on kS? How much are we talking about? $100, $1000, $10000?

No I dont have numbers, and guess what, neither do you.  And that's the point.  Neither you or I really know what the outcome would be.  It is an unknown.  So the cheap talk here is yours.  And you know nothing about me, about what the risk would be to investors, or how much it would cost to design and develop.  You don't know Jack about how much I, or anyone else would be willing to invest or donate for such a venture.  All you have is your own baseless opinion.  Which means nothing to anyone but yourself.  Get off that high horse because it is obvious you don't belong on it.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    putting ideas out there is always good.. i'm not really a fan of that era but then again i dont like fantasy either but i play it because devs apparently cant/wont do much else.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

No I dont have numbers, and guess what, neither do you.  And that's the point.  Neither you or I really know what the outcome would be.  It is an unknown.  So the cheap talk here is yours.  And you know nothing about me, about what the risk would be to investors, or how much it would cost to design and develop.  You don't know Jack about how much I, or anyone else would be willing to invest or donate for such a venture.  All you have is your own baseless opinion.  Which means nothing to anyone but yourself.  Get off that high horse because it is obvious you don't belong on it.

You said that you knew for a FACT that people have been craving a Western MMO. So you really shouldnt have said that unless you could back it up with you know... FACTS.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

You make a good point but there are work arounds for that.  Cowboys, Indians, and Mexicans can be made to be generic player characters.  As can the setting.  It doesn't have to be designed as a period piece.  After all, we have all types of combat games depicting battles, wars, and controversy.  This would be no different.  The key is to design the game making sure to give equal honor and respect to all characters, and of course, to not name them after actual people, tribes, or communities of the time.  It can be done.  It just requires due respect and consideration.

True, but most of those combat games are SPG's aren't they.  I'm not sure of any 'historical' combat MMO's out there except for PotBS.  Things you can get away with in SPG's wouldn't fly in an MMO.

Those would involve a lot of dancing around like you said.  Not to mention the PC aspect's that would have to be brought in, women soldiers, tribal warchief's and what not. 

As much as I liked PotBS it always got me when you'd see women NPC soldiers guarding fort's and stuff.  But atleast they called the countries by name and no one saw a single thing wrong with the British killing Spaniards or Frenchmen.  Necessary features for the widest player base I know, just jarring to a history buff.

Unfortunitly the PvE vs PvP aspect would screw it up too.  To really capture the flavor it would almost have to be a PvP centric game; towns are fairly safe (like what I hear the Eve setup is) and outside of town is open PvP.  Now that would of course totally turn off 90% of players.  Maybe it could be done the old SWG way with 1 server and allow temp Pvp flags.  The overall flavor would be there, those that wanted it could and those that didn't wouldn't and those that liked it once in awhile could.

But like I said at the start I'd love a Western game, but for 'current' taste's I'd say go for a Steampunk flavor since that's probably has a higher interest factor at this time.  That would also allow it to go your direction so much easier since it would stop being a 'historical' game.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Originally posted by SlyLoK

You said that you knew for a FACT that people have been craving a Western MMO. So you really shouldnt have said that unless you could back it up with you know... FACTS.

The fact that there are posters in this thread saying that they would be interested in it, such as the OP and others, backs up that fact.  And like I said, google it an you will find that there are, in fact, "a lot" of people that also would like to see a Wild West themed MMO.   "A lot" is the only fact I quoted.  I did not quote numbers. I could do like others on this forum and be condescending regarding the comprehension level of some posters on this forum, but I won't do that.  Let's just write it off as an over reaction on your part.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by DMKano
    If you can provide solid market research data showing that there is enough interest from players to justify the investment, it would be made.The thing is - western theme anything is not very popular at this time - no western movies are being made, there are no popular western themed anything right now. Its an unpopular theme at this time.

Red Dead Redemption sold 13 million copies.

So, obviously not as unpopular as you think.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by DMKano
    If you can provide solid market research data showing that there is enough interest from players to justify the investment, it would be made.

The thing is - western theme anything is not very popular at this time - no western movies are being made, there are no popular western themed anything right now. Its an unpopular theme at this time.

Red Dead Redemption sold 13 million copies.

So, obviously not as unpopular as you think.

Thank you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Have to agree, if there was actual demand out there for that kind of game, then someone would have made it already. Its just not a popular theme, i think the best your going to get is the odd single player game, but, its been done already so, hard to imagine too many dev groups out there would be interested in taking that much of a risk, and yeah, as Narius has said, would anyone risk their livelihood etc on an uncertain premise, the trouble is, is that fantasy, even Scifantasy etc, is popular, cowboys, not so much, and any game that involved running around shooting indians is probably going to draw the kind of attention that would make the game Hatred look good. Not many Dev teams out there i think would be willing to take that kind of a risk, or backlash either. image

The fact that there are posters in this thread saying that they would be interested in it, such as the OP and others, backs up that fact.  

Lol .. a few posters here are proof of a demand?

If so, you would think that FFA full loot perma-death games would be popular too.

• TheeLordTheeLord Member UncommonPosts: 138

I just don't see the stereotypical wild west theme playing well in an MMO.  And it's one thing to say it's wild west themed, but what will it play like?

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website