Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert to officially launch July 14th with a Mega Server

12346»

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,524
    Originally posted by bentrim
    [mod edit]

No need to be so hostile. I wouldn't say the OW PvP community is small, or else games like Crowfall / CU wouldn't really exist. Heck DAoC wouldn't really still be going. Heh.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

PVP centric games make less money.  Look at Archeage, Mortal Online and Darkfall.  Eve with its fairly safe empire space is the biggest pvp-centered MMO out there and it has not come close to 500k in subbers while games like Aion, Lineage, TOR and WoW get millions.  It is no wonder the company decided to change directions.

Open World PVP is overrated.  It is mainly an excuse to run around and kill people 10 levels lower than yourself.  Finding a fair fight or just a "good" fight is almost impossible as the people you meet are either higher or lower or running in packs.  I'm not a big fan of themeparks but I find the PVP in games like WoW and ToR much more fun since I have a chance to win and have much better luck finding a good fight with an equally leveled player.

Another issue with PvP focused games in that they are heavily gear based which acts as a barrier to new players later in the games life.  I have heard new players who have left Eve because they dont feel they can be competitive unless they play for a few years.  Imagine the gear level in Archeage in another year or two.  Those players have had years to get to that point but new players will be crushed for a long time as they try and grind out the gear.  And before someone says it, yes gear does matter in these games.  Go jump in Archeage and get two-shotted in the arena and then see how you feel about gear-based pvp.

I know most of you in this thread are PVP-focused and wont agree but based on the subscriber evidence, if I were making an MMO, I would not make it PVP focused.  There is less money in it and you get a much more vocal and hostile community.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Originally posted by bentrim
    [mod edit]

No need to be so hostile. I wouldn't say the OW PvP community is small, or else games like Crowfall / CU wouldn't really exist. Heck DAoC wouldn't really still be going. Heh.

DAoC isn't OW PvP (The frontiers are separate from the rest of the world) and Crowfall and CU don't exist yet.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 674

Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

rip pvp?

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,864
    Originally posted by saurus123

Players can no longer PK under level 50 even if they are war with that enemy guild.

rip pvp?

If it very quick to get to 50 and the levelling from 1-50 is essentially just a tutorial, with the actual game really starting from level 50 then it shouldn't make much difference.

Much depends on how the game is set up. In a traditional themepark game a large part of the game is levelling, and levelling quests drive players through zones and typically most end game players congregate in a few places (towns/end level zones). Owpvp restricted to level cap in that scenario would take out a lot of the "sandbox" element that owpvp brings to a game.

However, if the game itself is set up to be non-linear, with an emphasis on "doing stuff" (like trade/crafting/exploration) that takes people through various zones at level cap, the owpvp system should work even if its restricted to players at level cap.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

rip pvp?

aww poor pvpers now whatever will they do? they wont be able to gank lowbies that have no chance against them. there goes 95% of their fights.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ecoces

rip pvp?

aww poor pvpers now whatever will they do? they wont be able to gank lowbies that have no chance against them. there goes 95% of their fights.

I thought this was the next big sandbox game? Not that 'kill anyone anywhere' defines that, but a change like the one mentioned by Ecoces indicates that shipping, transporting and even regional economies doesn't exist in this game. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AureljusAureljus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Great to see game focusing on PvE, rather than PvP.

No luck for PvP communities, well, I mean those people that enjoys killing or should I say ganking lower level/skilled/ungeared people - and forcing them to quit the game. :) Which later on will be noticed in population going lower and lower... 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,561
    Originally posted by danwest58

"Cash shop" with B2P

Well not even going to consider this game with there being any cash shop.  I played AA and the Cash Shop there helps players regrade their gear, as well as help players craft faster because of LP Pots.  Sorry but if you can use your wallet for any Advantage I do not want to play.  

based on your signature, you purchased XIV, pay the subscription to play it, and it has a cash shop. You killed the point you were trying to make.

Also, i didnt know Black Desert was B2P, ive only heard that it was going to be Free to Play. If it is B2P then im more interested in it, as long as the cash shop is decent and not a pay wall.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,164
    So today is the official launch day?
  • ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Mikeha

No, just server merge. Valencia comes later this month.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,404

BD is only Solo-centric if you CHOOSE to play it that way.

Sorry not a fan of non-instanced housing. Why? Because there will eventually be a point where you there is no more room for housing. So you are pretty much left with a have and have not situation.

PvP is alive and very well well in BD. Not sure why some people are suggesting it's not. Shit I've seen fights break out over horses. Hell I even saw a guild war between one guild called Inception and another because of a friggin fight over a grind spot that started with two people fighting over it.

Sorry but after playing BD with its market prices set by GM's. Also the no player trading. I'm a fan of it and I want to see more of it. I'm sick to fucking death of seeing RMT spam in games. Just look at Cabal 2. There were friggin RMT spammers during the early access that was only open to people that bought founder packs. After it hit OBT it got worse. The chat box is literally cluster fucked by RMT spam. Sorry not doing that again. I want to see this same system in MMO's until something can really be done about RMT spam and bots.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,164
    Originally posted by ankhfnkhonsu
    Originally posted by Mikeha

No, just server merge. Valencia comes later this month.

What is Valencia? Is this the first content update?