Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What changes need to be made to make you want to play PFO?

13»

Comments

• AudoucetAudoucet Member UncommonPosts: 69

And there is actually more possibility of RP in Albion, because you can create 100% safe little cities on instanced islands, with a full system of rights management.

Which means you can easily create a safe haven for RPers, by controlling its access.

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by Audoucet

And there is actually more possibility of RP in Albion, because you can create 100% safe little cities on instanced islands, with a full system of rights management.

Which means you can easily create a safe haven for RPers, by controlling its access.

It is more of a sandbox, In my opinion, because you can focus your training on whatever you want; keep what skills you train, regardless of your affiliation or location; and you are only limited by the amount of risk you are willing to take.  

With over 8,000 players , as of a few minutes ago, their overall model is obviously more successful.  

Goblin Works needs to take heed the warnings that this game is presenting them.  I would not have picked Albion to be PFO's primary competition, until I had played it.  I had always expected Crowfall to be that potential "PFO Killer", but Crowfall does not go into Alpha until September, and where it looks right now, Crowfall will be competing with Albion, more so than PFO.

To return to the title of the OP of this thread:

What changes need to be made to make you want to play PFO?

My answer is:

1.  Zone based PVP with differentiated looting rights based on those zones.  

2.  Zone based resource tiers.  Access to higher tiers requires taking greater risk.

3.  Skill Training that is individualized and not based on affiliation of guild or location (settlement)

4.  Character advancement based on the level of risk the player is willing to take.

5.  A game engine that is built for the future, not for hitting maximum capacity for a game developed 5 years or more ago.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

-Camera movement that doesn't cause nausea.

-Animations that look much better. Characters move like they are bad robots.

-More customization of character at creation.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Bluddwolf

A few things are pretty obvious.  First, there are more people who have tried playing PFO, than there are currently playing.  Secondly, there are more potential players that have looked at it, or read about it and have decided to pass on even trying it for free (ie. 15 day trial).

So, I pose the question here, in the hopes that the makers of Pathfinder Online might see where they may have to alter their plans in order to attract more interest in playing the game long term.

In a CONSTRUCTIVE manner, please list three to five changes you would like to see (especially if you tried the game and you actually know a bit about how the game works).

Hello,

im one of those potential players that have looked at it.

I played the game less a hour in 2 weeks, but would have logged in futher, if the trial would not have ran out.

As a new player in PFO i created my toon and logged in.

Well, not mutch handholding, not mutch direction, i like it.

I like to explore things, mechanics, a game, but there have been reasons why i went away from Anarchy Online.

Just yesterday night i had another "whoa" efect in my current game.

That was, when my camera was 3rd person what is my prefered toon control.

I was driving with a slow vehicle over the lands, delivering some goods and(!) enjoying the landscape.

While i was driving, i passed a needletree and while i passed it, the camera flew through the branches and that tree (there is millions of trees in the game) was so detailed, i could see every needle and watch through them.

PFO is crying for another engine. Unity engine is not the way to the top, but Cryengine is.

Certain things in the world have color. I mean real fat color. Nothing in PFO is colored to its own, it feels like tere is a filter of blurb hanging over the screen. Feels like nothing is really "brilliant" in terms of colors.

Cant say mutch to the game.

Spend 2 days downloading it, found myself in a village, could speak to NPCs that gave me tasks.

All in total retro style, really nothing feels "ahead" in there, but it made me curious enuff, to want to login again but my trial time ran out.

The overall quality is too low to me, to regulary pay for it.

So my feedback is, the game needs a engine change.

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355

@Rawfox,

Yes, the issue of the outdated engine has been brought up and that seems to be the one area Goblin Works seems not to have the revenue to replace.   That or they are just resistant to making the change from Unity 4 to Unity 5, for whatever reason.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• ZephyrjinxZephyrjinx Member UncommonPosts: 32

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Originally posted by Bluddwolf A few things are pretty obvious.  First, there are more people who have tried playing PFO, than there are currently playing.  Secondly, there are more potential players that have looked at it, or read about it and have decided to pass on even trying it for free (ie. 15 day trial). So, I pose the question here, in the hopes that the makers of Pathfinder Online might see where they may have to alter their plans in order to attract more interest in playing the game long term. In a CONSTRUCTIVE manner, please list three to five changes you would like to see (especially if you tried the game and you actually know a bit about how the game works).        
    Constructive manner? Ok, but from whom's point of view? The Players you seek to attract? The Players you have already acquired? The Dev's? The Exec's? The Investor's?

Doesn't matter what the subject is... almost anything that can be viewed as constructive by some can also be seen as un-constructive by others, especially stuff about MMOs. Do I view MMOs as a game first or as a business first? Do I see it only from my own selfish point of view or do I see it from the broader view of the whole of the community of Players? Mix and match all that and there's going widely divergent points of view on what some of us think needs to be done to make PFO more attractive to more Players.

You bridle responses with your specific requirements of how we shall respond.

IMO... the changes needed to be made so it would attract myself and perhaps others would need to be so radical that the suggested changes would be seen by the owners of PFO as "non-constructive"... so in the spirit of "do not offend" I will keep the specifics of my own personal opinion to myself.

This is exactly what I was thinking, nice post!

On a side note, these games offer in my opinion much more than PFO when you compare the simplistic style. This is my opinion and based on your Post I assume that you will ignore it :)

Asheron's Call over 15 years running Free to play no strings. I still enjoy it!
    Anarchy online. Going to check out the new graphics have not played in sometime.
    Everquest Never played but have had friends who swear by it.

I am sure people here can add many more that fit the bill Trove? LOL

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I also tried this game. I was not impressed but I was impressed by the customer service. Pathfinder personnel are very responsive and helpful when I emailed them. My first impression was the game seemed outdated and old. I felt like I took a time machine to 1995. The camera angles were annoying to say the least. I do wish Goblin the best but they need better graphics and more polish. Sad to say because I often root for the underdog, but they need big money to get this game noticed and popular.

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85

This is a tough one to answer as I just finished my review of PO and it basically ended as a this isn't PO, it's a POS (especially given the time frame it's been in development and the $$ spent).

Having great innovative ideas is wonderful, but the person with those ideas should rarely ever be the one actually running things. Like many indie projects (regardless of funding level), they failed to have an actual project management team in place.

Asking a monthly sub for a project that has already been funded, yet is in a very early alpha state (almost non-playable), is ludicrous. Having a management team that has the audacity to ask for a monthly sub simply makes my opinion on "what to change" a simple one; Don't change anything, scrap it. Just stop. They don't have proper management in place and they really have no idea what they're doing. You can be the best programmer, artist, etc but the inability to properly manage your money, time and business; even worse, the lack of foresight and failure to bring someone onto the team that can; tells me this game is destined for the crash and burn pile.