Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15 Day trial video review

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

She seems to have a really good understanding of the game mechanics for someone that just played for 15 days.  I think she has a very insightful take on the "controversy" in the last 2 minutes. 

https://youtu.be/OMOlT__A5WE

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like her ,voice is very clear and she seems to understand game design.The game does do some things i think are cool but overall it looks Indie and hoping to get 15 a month for the game is going to be a struggle.I see it going f2p but even then imo the game is just not good enough,it looks like EQ1 to me.

She also did a good review of Gorgon a game i know very well.Except since i know Gorgon well i will say that i was really intrigued for a full 2 months then it began to look a tad more shallow than i thought and the developer "Eric" started to mess things up as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Thanks for sharing!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355

Actually she mentioned a few things (factions for example) that are not in game yet.  Secondly, she had said that "if you PK a lot, you will find yourself hindered" (paraphrased)....  Now we can argue about what is "a lot", but in reality it only takes a few kills to get to bottom reputation, and it will take about 7 days to reenter a town without the guards attacking you.

I would also not agree with the assessment that the game is focused on PVP, it is largely a gathering / crafting sim, and it is hindered in that it does not have a full loot system or high enough item decay to support crafting in the long term.

Although GW has made attempts to compare PFO to EvE Online as far as the economy is concerned, they are actually no where's near as close as they seem to believe.  

The same goes for the skill system.  Whereas in EVE your character can train whatever he wants, and is only limited in some skills based on the ship he chose to fly at that moment, PFO will limit skills you have already trained based on social affiliations you currently maintain.  In PFO, if you choose to leave your company or more importantly your settlement, you may find that you lose access to skills you have already bought and trained.  That could also prevent you from using gear that you have already crafted or bought as well.  

This is a little known, and rarely spoken of control mechanism employed by Goblin Works.   It is meant to place community social controls on the player base, to inhibit player behaviors in this supposed sandbox MMO.  

Bottom line is, you will play the way the community wants you to, or the combination of the game mechanics or the player base (some of them) will do their best to drive you out.  This does not just extend to what most MMO players might consider to be "griefers', but to just about anyone who PVPs outside of what they consider to be "sanctioned" or worse, consensual.  

If anyone is going to counter my last point, then take up this challenge.  Create a character, or better yet several, and put them into a new company.  Then begin to PVP, not too excessively, but a few kills every day.  Then monitor General Chat and the Goblin Works forums, and see how friendly and welcoming the community is.

I write this because of the response I had seen a few days ago to a player who just killed a few, maybe even one player, that the community felt was a "random kill".  

Maybe the labels of "sandbox" and "pvp focused' should be dropped.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....