Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera really deserve more hype than this.

Comments

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

mmorpg.com and all generalist mmorpgs websites are the refuge of individuals self-appointed experts of mmorpgs who seek satisfaction by bashing videogames,
    and waving their didactic finger in the direction of unspecified entities named "developers".
    the latters, in truth, chew combinatorial math every day and top the knowledge of your average forummite#2485037 like for 500/1
    but because, the only way the human beings have to evalutate competence of someone correctly is by having an amount of competence that is equal or superior, the target the try to judge. most of time the valutation is wrong. and the bigger is the competence gap the more wrong will be the evalutation.
    so misjudment are always here and you will never really get rid of these individuals around in any ambit.
    is easier to claim to be right rather than try to understand the truth.
    is free ego-boosts afterall.

in short, OP, don't expect to find any mercy here, nor for tera or anything.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

pvp hackers

dead inviroment

collect x turn in x grind quests

cash shop

the game is meh* at best glad you like it but no its not what you want everyone else to see..i would rather play aoc lol..the genra is soo piss poor right now

[

It's amusing that this sentence implies that you(others) know what the "truth" is and they(them) do not.

no, it implies:

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by gamishi

Just look at how awesome the pvp is ,

freakin breathtaking zones and dungeons ,

Amazing graphics ,

Good crafting system ,

Free to play game thats pretty much not a pay to win 

and alot more seriously also shouldnt eu server be more crowded its not like gameforge is that bad >.>

Those are your personal opinions.

But hype is screaming to everyone how good a game is while trying to hide the lack of quality. If a game is really that good, players will find it and play it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by UltorX
    I hated TERAs art design and its focus on fanservice. It's also as themeparkish as every other korean grinder and its world doesn't even try one bit to feel like an actual living, breathing place. MMO gamers look for different things in a game now and all that.

Yeah, the Western market has just spent the last 10 years making almost nothing but WoW clones and you're going to criticize the Koreans for not making living breathing worlds...

Thank you.  This endless criticizing of Western players against Asian MMORPGs is elitist-thinking propaganda and it gets tiring.  Asian developers are the only developers even advancing the MMORPG genre now days.  Their graphics, animations, and game design and presentation are worlds above that of Western developers.  When you think of all of the long awaited MMOs coming to market, a good majority of them are Asian developed.  

Regarding Tera, no one in their right mind has ever credited Tera with having good questing.  It is simply a reason to enjoy its combat, which is frankly the best in the business.  And although I personally enjoy questing and fighting in its beautiful and lush world, most of the player base is at end game enjoying the end game dungeons and PvP.  Tera has a lot to offer and the mere fact that they have increased their player base exponentially to the tune of over-flowing servers, and are even in the process of opening a new server next week, pretty much says it all.    

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It might have the best combat in the world, but I can't (and won't) get past the horribly sexist portrayal of women, bikini armour everywhere you look and sexualised children. Add on the fact that its quests are appalling, and the ridiculously oversized weapons, gender locked classes, the list goes on why this game doesn't deserve more hype, in my view.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Mivi   [   It's amusing that this sentence implies that you(others) know what the "truth" is and they(them) do not.  
      no, it implies: is easier to claim to be right rather than try to understand the truth.  
    Yes, my young friend... which means, you say they aren't right (aka not knowing the truth), meaning you imply that you know what truth is (or isn't).

Meaning, you actually do exactly the same thing they are doing.

meaning,

you'll get eventually

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by kenpokiller
    Originally posted by Viper482

It gets what it deserves. You are just one of the few who think the game is great, that's okay, but you need to realize it is you and a few others. There is nothing wrong with us.

If the game had more immersive questing instead of the "kill/collect x of these" grind it would have done much better.

25k on steam alone.

Got tempted.

Nah.

For an MMO 25k is exactly what I mean by a few.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by JDis25
    Game has too much grind, otherwise it would be fantastic.

^ this

Taking 9-12 months of 10 hours a day grinding in the same dungeon over and over just to get competitive pvp gear (+15 renegade) broke it for me. Do you think i'm exaggerating? Ravenous Gorge... 1000's of times.... just to get the materials needed for pvp. 

I love the pvp combat, but the entrance bar is just too high in terms of time required just to be competitive. 

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Mivi   Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard Originally posted by Mivi   [   It's amusing that this sentence implies that you(others) know what the "truth" is and they(them) do not.  
      no, it implies: is easier to claim to be right rather than try to understand the truth.  
    Yes, my young friend... which means, you say they aren't right (aka not knowing the truth), meaning you imply that you know what truth is (or isn't).   Meaning, you actually do exactly the same thing they are doing.  
      meaning, is easier to claim to be right rather than try to understand the truth. you'll get eventually
    And you'll eventually get, when you grow older, that when you pretend others don't understand the truth, you are actually claiming to know the truth yourself... which is the pot calling the kettle black.

It's easier to claim others are wrong than to actually argue to prove them wrong. And "you claim to be right because you don't understand the truth" is hardly an argument... it's something we can hear in the news spoken by some extremists though, be they religious or political.

Sorry, but you made a totally out of topic attack on all posters here, you put yourself into this. Realizing that "you" aren't better than "them" is a hard "truth" to accept, since you are so eager of knowing "truth".

such reiteration of fallacies and now the butthurtness
    You'll get eventually, here an hint
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_out_nines

Phry
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by kenpokiller

It gets what it deserves. You are just one of the few who think the game is great, that's okay, but you need to realize it is you and a few others. There is nothing wrong with us.

If the game had more immersive questing instead of the "kill/collect x of these" grind it would have done much better.

25k on steam alone.

Got tempted.

Nah.

For an MMO 25k is exactly what I mean by a few.

That is concurrent players, not total players. That is a pretty good number and it's just the Steam number. That doesn't even take into account Asia. Right now EVE-offline.net shows EVE at just over 33k concurrent players worldwide.

Tera has the all time peak concurrency on Steam.  All time!  ... Ever!  ... By any game!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Last time I logged in, there were people driving around in miniature cars. For a fantasy game, that is just....bleh.  If anything, the game received too much hype when it launched.  I really found it to be subpar.

When you offer someone 20+ years younger than you twice the chance to accept that truth isn't something he can always rule about, and that forums as well as any other communities are about arguments in favor of several different "truths", you're patient. But patience has its limits, and when you realize that the person still thinks she holds the ultimate truth about truth, you add her to your ignore/block list.

Welcome. And also welcome to the harsh life where other people may actually be "more right" than you are.

PS: avoid to post wikipedia links which are actually proving your opponent right.

if our places were reversed, and I end up meeting a person on the internet trying to belittle all others opinions, and I convinced myself that this person is just overtalking, assumed I have knowledge about the argument;
    I would have immediately challenged him to prove his actual preparation.
    by asking something enough specific that only someone who is indeed knowledgeable would be able to reply. (pardon I'm gonna borrow something)for example: I could have asked him to connect the concept of "dead worlds" in relation with density distribution in consideration of the lorenz's function and long tail phenomena or I could have asked which are his favorite kpi telemetries and to use them into a mathematical top down model, even a simple one, where he show how to correct, if not, even solve some distortions of mmos that people attribute to one of the argument ad judicium that commonly appear on these sites, picked randomly. or again a light request like, to put his "bad combat" words that hold no meaning on any value plane into some actual parameters, stochastic preferably, I could analyze.
    if is truly overtalking, when called in this person will flinch, tripping on the border of the no return slope. many internetz points awarded!
    but you didn't any of this.

When you try twice to enforce your vision to someone 20+ years younger than you (like age has any relevance - a person you know nothing about) of what she wanted to said in her post, or what she wanted to imply in her post like you could know better, and she replied you aren't quite right, you aren’t patient.
    you went by the easy path of the weak principle of authority and the petty ad hominem attack.
    Trying to take advantage of a simply arbitrary misinterpretation on your end, to pull her at a lower level and invalidate whatever she said without actually disprove a single inch of the actual argument.
    confortable.
    But is not how it work.

V
    Cast out nine is usually taught in the elementary schools to check the exactness of multiplications. is one of the first argumentum of mathematical logic, people learn, that introduce the concept of truth. That is relevant in our discussion, the tool of Cast out nine is unable to tell you in the result of the operation is correct but is 100% able to show you when is wrong. cute is not it?

this argument terminate much farther into the so called Heisenberg's uncertainty principle that has proved so far very neatly what are the boundaries of our so called “truth” are.

[digression]
    can you explain me how this would prove your points sir?
    or is the inherent act of posting wikipedia's links merely what it proves your point? how?
    I'm sorry, but if I left a/b=x+y/b(i.e.,a=xb+y) for a*=xb*+y* module of 9, people usually don't understand, I need to do so.
    [/digression]

the epistemological history of science is full of people who went by their peers telling them: you're wrong. without owning a better theory or the presumption of knowing

Every year the peer review beats hundreds of thousands of research papers, telling them that the result they reached with fatigue are wrong, full of methodological shortcomings.all of this without presuming to know more about the laws or truth that binds this world

The entire story of humanity is there of people telling other they’re wrong without possessing the truth.

how can my admonition to not to indulge in their own convictions be interpreted as a involuntary bragging about knowing more or “the truth” I don’t understand.

Here’s your shortcomings:

the only way the human beings have to evaluate competence of someone correctly is by having an amount of competence that is equal or superior, the target the try to judge. most of time the valuation is wrong. and the bigger is the competence gap the more wrong will be the evaluation.
    check ?

--
    --

why Pilcard has not grasped the occasion to challenge me to verify, the extension of my preparation? in case of negative outcome he could have won this internet debate easily, but in case of positive outcome it could have been a good occasion to learn something new, maybe, you'll never know... instead

he doesn't care probably. check ?

--
    --

has Pilcard thought, even for a moment, he could be the one wrong in this entire debate?

is free ego-boosts afterall.
    if no, check ?

--
    --

welcome to the harsh life where 40+ years old people overestimate their judgmental capabilities, ultimately fail. and end up to prove the point of their 20+ years younger adversaries on internet beyond the advisable expectations.
    keep blacklisting eh.

in future I'll use the word "research" instead of "try to understand" should be enough to avoid misunderstandings.
    and I will not blacklist you. despite is small, there is a chance I could learn something new reading you anyway, and to end, if wanted people to just agree with me I would stay on my blog.
    have a good day

Phry
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The  sad reality is i have downloaded it yet again through Steam.This will be about the sixth time i am trying this game,every past attempt i lasted an hour tops.I will try and get the UI to where i can handle it ,hopefully there is key mapping,i never seem to last long enough to remember.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

The  sad reality is i have downloaded it yet again through Steam.This will be about the sixth time i am trying this game,every past attempt i lasted an hour tops.I will try and get the UI to where i can handle it ,hopefully there is key mapping,i never seem to last long enough to remember.

It does have key mapping.  Last I played the entire UI was customizable.  Not sure if that is still the case today.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Wizard you sound like me lol. I lasted longer then an hour and I even maxed a toon. The game is really very good for pve. Pvp always seemed very laggy and disorganized in my opinion. The games mechanics are quite good vs other mmorpgs nowadays. Like you wizard it never got me to devote myself entirely. The travel ie(warp) system was too long for me as well.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    The game is still doing fantastic in terms of population. It had a peak concurrent user base of 16k on steam alone when it launched on steam which is great for an MMORPG. I thought it would go down from that point, but today it's highest concurrent users was at about 19k which is great. Even before the steam launch the game was doing really well. It's because En Masse has supported the hell out of the game, and did a very good job with the cash shop. 
    I tried it again last night due to this thread.  Same crappy questing.  It was exactly as I remembered it. Junk.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by grimal
    I tried it again last night due to this thread.  Same crappy questing.  It was exactly as I remembered it. Junk.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension then.  No one here said anything about the questing being good, or even not terrible. 

If I started playing FFXIV for the PvP I suppose I would call it "Junk" but that would reflect far more on my lack of intelligence and research than on the game itself.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension then.  No one here said anything about the questing being good, or even not terrible. 

If I started playing FFXIV for the PvP I suppose I would call it "Junk" but that would reflect far more on my lack of intelligence and research than on the game itself.

I've had the game since it came out. I'm replying to his suggestion that the game deserves more hype another's that the game has improved.  I never said I was new to the game, in fact I implied otherwise. Why don't you comment on the game at hand instead of attacking fellow posters?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Beautiful game with a horrible community and grindy quest system. The combat is fun but rather quirky. Just my opinion, but there are way more games I would choose over this title. I say this even after purchasing it. That being said, this and Aion are about the only two Asian titles that are worth anything in my book, and I personally would play Aion first.

It had a huge amount of hype prior to release and still gets it's fair share now. With the Steam launch I think it's doing pretty well as far as hype is concerned.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I've had the game since it came out. I'm replying to his suggestion that the game deserves more hype another's that the game has improved.  I never said I was new to the game, in fact I implied otherwise. Why don't you comment on the game at hand instead of attacking fellow posters?

Ah right, your post does make sense if you're just responding to the OP's assertion that the game deserves more hype.

Did you just forget how bad the questing was or did you expect that them might have revamped the questing?  The only game I know of to dramatically redo their leveling quests is WoW and it was largely regarded as at best a waste of resources.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

No, TERA gets exactly what you would expect from a site filled with bitter vets endlessly pinning for the days of EQ1 and UO.  Korean games receive the least favorable reviews here than anywhere else I know of.

Where do you get these ideas?  Questing has sucked in virtually every game it's appeared in for the last 10 years.  There is no dolling up the linear quest grind.  It sucks and no amount of celebrity voice acting can cover that up.  TERA would have been far better served scrapping questing all together and trying for a gw2 event model than wasting endless dollars in a futile quest to make questing fun like so many other failed MMOs.

I agree, Tera questing didn't seem particularly worse than most other mmos and the start flows much better than some I can think of which people around here seem to love. It also has some interesting quest/challenge type ideas which add a bit of spice.

I like your idea above public events, tera kind of has this with BAMS, world bosses, and Nexus (although Nexus seemed terrible to me), but it could be expanded big time. When I think about Tera, my best memories are the dungeons, BAMS, world bosses, normalized pvp, and open world pvp in the zones straight after leaving noob island. I would love to maximize that and minimize gear grind and mindless questing.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I think that EQ2 should get more hype, but that's just me :) and to be honest it doesn't seem to matter what I think :D

Originally posted by Adoni
    I think that EQ2 should get more hype, but that's just me :) and to be honest it doesn't seem to matter what I think :D

On this site I'm honestly shocked EQ1, UO, SWG, and DAoC are not at the top of the hype meter.