Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

newest archeage drama!

thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
Here's your weekly dose.of archeage drama. Server "evolution" is coming! And its a really good.thing! It is! Really!

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?196325-OFFICIAL-SERVER-EVOLUTION-amp-FEEDBACK-THREAD-(in-progress)

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Thanks for this.  Some entertaining bathroom reading.

According to the polls they have in the forums, 50% polled said they will leave game after merge.  Welp, there goes Archeage.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by damond5031

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?196325-OFFICIAL-SERVER-EVOLUTION-amp-FEEDBACK-THREAD-(in-progress)

Thanks! Couldn't get it to link on my phone:)
  • damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by thundercles
    Originally posted by damond5031

Thanks! Couldn't get it to link on my phone:)

No problem, thanks for the entertainment :)

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Thanks for the morning forum drama. Pretty hilarious all those "I've spent thousands on this game and...". Reap what you sow, fools. 

This is a great step here, but it's too little too late:

"With 1.2 we added restrictions on the number of houses you can have in progress.

When placing new property, if you have two placed properties with unfinished construction, you will be blocked from placing any more. If you have more than two unfinished properties, you will need to reduce that number (through completion or demolition) to bring that number below two before you can claim additional land. Fellowship Plazas do not count towards this limit.
    So even if someone is hacking, they have a 5 second delay between placements, and a 2 in progress limit."

Joined - July 2004

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

The drama is intoxicating.  People are losing their minds.  Funny stuff.

Yep, Trion is handling this very well.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't see their idea as quite good enough.

The community person worded it wrong to begin with "As we finalize",if it is not even close to a finished idea it is no "as we finalize".Almost every single Q/A was a "we are looking into it,answer"not showing enough thought and answers to announce this idea.

They also made sure to ONLY state that you MAY get better land,well you may also get worse as well.The claim of a new server is really more of a land plot wipe than anything else.IMO this game and every game needs to do a better job of planning out housing,i have not been fully happy with any game on the market when comes to housing design.

IMO it is a VERY tough ordeal for Trion to deal with because the housing/land plot idea was not done well enough and not planning into the future with server merges has come to a dilemma that will not work out very well.The VERY easy solution was to just say pick a new server but the land plot design ruins any ease of that happening.

IMO they COULD offer instance housing not per player but per zone,create a few new zones,it is not that hard to pull off.You would still have neighbors communities,the ONLY difference would be instead of in one zone perhaps 3-4 zones.The developer could use the new housing zones as part of future expansion as well as create even more zones,overall it would add to the longevity of the design with new plots being added and new content within those zones.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    inb4 DMArcheage throws warm trout at you

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Its a bit concerning that the whole thing feels like they dont really have any answers to anything and are kinda fishing ideas from their costumers. At least the TrionBrasse dude seems cheerful, like its some sort of celebration.

Also, ridiculous to call it a "Evolution." Im almost hearing a russian dude mumbling about a "glorious evolution"  over and over in my head while reading it.

To this date they still have no answers.  The decision to merge was a decision born out of desperation.  This was predictable long ago.  It is obvious that once the initial "new game" honeymoon phase wound down that the majority of PvE players would bail leaving all of the early PvE game barren.  The OWPvP crowd isn't large enough to support the game by itself.  Just goes to show you that just having a house and gardening is not enough to keep PvE folks around.  This also goes to show the dire condition AA is at the moment.  This is a kamikaze move.  A last resort decision.  Painful to watch indeed.

This, along with the recent upsurge of PvE games such as Tera, FFXIV, and GW2 is why Black Dessert Online is changing their model.

All the land hacker guys are going to have a ball when this merge happens. Most of the land plots will all be gone within seconds and there will be much weeping and nashing of teeth.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I thought it was interesting that land rush was touted as a good thing; most of the players I knew in AA absolutely hated the land rush. The forum angst would seem to bear that out but we all know that most players don't read the forums.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    The only reason Trion would go to this effort is to make more money.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi
    The only reason Trion would go to this effort is to make more money.

If that's the only reason, its a pretty good one.  

Now over 200 pages of prime drama!!
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I wonder... there is legal precedent here for a lawsuit. 

I remember years ago there was a lawsuit over digital land rights surrounding project Entropia. 

I remember the court upheld the rights of the digital land owner affording digital land the same protections as real property. 

I remember at the time that decision actually opened the door to some huge money investors buying digital property.

Granted this case was in Europe and they are afford more gamer legal standing than here in the states, but it does establish a legal precedent for a challenge that Trion can not seize their lands without due process of law.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    So Trion forces you to pay every month for Patron in order to keep that land you struggled to get. Months later, having paid all this (and probably lots more on credits), they just throw you on a new server and you lose it all anyway.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

As pointed out on the AA forum: why not just let people transfer?

If you want a populated server, transfer to it. It you want a less populated server, transfer to it. That would even out the population without the upheaval of negating half the people's work and money.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

As pointed out on the AA forum: why not just let people transfer?

If you want a populated server, transfer to it. It you want a less populated server, transfer to it. That would even out the population without the upheaval of negating half the people's work and money.

It's a bit more complicated than that.  A large percentage of the players base has actually been complaining that certain servers are dead.  You are not hearing from those players as much right now because they are getting what they want.  A second, and perhaps, even more important concern is money.  They are wanting to downsize because it costs money and management resources to keep empty servers open.  Empty servers also drive away future players and give the game a bad name.  There are also a host of other related management problems that arise over keeping empty scarcely utilized servers running.  Rest assured they did not arrive at this conclusion lightly.  The bottom line has been shrinking and Trion is trying to keep this venture profitable.  There is very good reason for the madness.

My 2 cents. I understand merges. I know it has to happen. I knew it might happened 3 months ago when I resubbed and started a toon on Calleil. I had that in mind when I got a 16 X 16, decorated it and settled down in a guild.

Scapes said there was no current plans for merges. Then soon after there was the stream that there would be merges. I wasn't surprised. I knew it was going to happen eventually.

What I am upset about is that they are trying to spin it as something good. It's a merge, call it a merge and not evolution. It's not 100% good for everyone. Like me who purposely moved to a low pop server because I like that. There is nothing good about it. However, I understand that and accept it. I have canceled my sub because I know this game is not going to support the game style I prefer. And that is Okay. There are a ton of games that I will enjoy.

But they need to stop blowing sunshine up people's asses and acting like this is the best thing since sliced bread. It's not. It's going to cause a lot of people to quit,  not a majority but many. It feels like they think that we are not intelligent enough to see through the word "evolution". I know it advertising and all that but it still sucks for a lot of people and Trion hardly even acknowledge the suckiness of it. Most of the the comments from Brasse have been about how this will stop land barons, or land rush may help you get better land. All of those things are possibilities.

The reality is I am losing something that I worked hard on with a good chance that I will not be able to get it back because I'm not on as frequently as some. That sucks. Don't try to spin that to make it sound better because all it does us suck for me.

If you're a PVP'er I'm genuinely pumped for you! I'm happy you'll have more people to engage in your preferred style of play with! I think this will make you're gameplay experience waaay better!

But those of us who don't want that, this is hard for. And that's the truth of it.

Maybe they should use the time between now and the "evolutions"  to figure out why they have empty servers in the first place. Perhaps if they would put the player first for once instead of trying to squeeze every last penny they can get out of them, things would turn around. If you take care of your player community, the players will take care of you. I have been playing Archeage recently and I truly believe it could be a great game. The people that run this game need a culture change from the top down.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    inb4 DMArcheage throws warm trout at you

I could give two craps - my server is not getting merged. /shrug

Yes but it will affect others and may cause trouble for your beloved game.  But as long as you're fine, no issue, right?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't play the game, but after skimming through all of this stuff, this is one of the worst moves I've ever seen any game make. I can only imagine what it would make me feel like if I had been working toward owning some of the limited property over the course of months and then have it swept out from under me. This is really, really awful. I'm shocked that a company would try anything like this and will not be shocked if there is a mass exodus of people that feel slighted.

I can only assume that their population is so low that they feel like losing a large percentage of current players isn't all that bad at this point and the risk is worth taking. I just can't imagine someone thinking that if the servers are busier that people are going to start coming back in large numbers - especially after such a controversial move.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by grimal

Thanks for this.  Some entertaining bathroom reading.

According to the polls they have in the forums, 50% polled said they will leave game after merge.  Welp, there goes Archeage.

What people say and what ppl do is not necessarily the same thing.  Especially on forums.  I'm sure a good chunk will leave, but I would take a forum poll with a grain of salt.

I self identify as a monkey.