Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 is p2p...

strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198

Did Microsoft not research how f2p is the new thing? They should give windows 10 to everyone for free, then charge them for every cell in excel, every page in word, and every key in access. Or, every 1 gig you download cost 25 cent, and it costs 50 cent to open the file with said download. I mean, they are losing out on so much money here.

Originally posted by laokoko
"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Comments

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Did Microsoft not research how f2p is the new thing? They should give windows 10 to everyone for free, then charge them for every cell in excel, every page in word, and every key in access. Or, every 1 gig you download cost 25 cent, and it costs 50 cent to open the file with said download. I mean, they are losing out on so much money here.

Someone's all twisted up about something.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36

Good luck with that happening. You' essentially just described metered internet, but on a software platform. Considering there are some places in the world (Australia  comes to mind), which have have bandwidth caps, if you were to implement  the model you just described, they may very well have lost out on a market segment (no one is going to want to pay more than once, not to mention the updates and patches).

As DMKano mentioned, they have the app store for that.

Originally posted by DMKano

Windows 10 is NOT a subscription model (which is what P2P is)

Yet...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Goes live in 6 weeks and one year from then you will have to pay to get any updates.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Windows 10 is free for people who have windows 7 (and 8) because it gives all those people access to the windows app store which makes Microsoft money. It means more users use cortana which will speed up cortana development, and it promotes Xbox / Windows 10 Mobile and more people will use Microsoft Edge browser.

They are still going to charge people money who buy a new PC or want a new copy of Windows 10. But upgrading people who are on windows 7 to windows 10 for free, only has benefits for Microsoft, since most people never upgrade their OS.

This is why Gabe Newell from Valve said he hates Windows 8. The sole reason is the Windows app store, which will cut into steam profits if it takes off. It was first introduced with Windows 8.

This is why Steam OS exists, to counter the Windows app store. Since Valve knew they can't cirvumvent the windows app store, since it's built into the OS, they scrambled to make a Linux OS without the app store right after Windows 8 launched. Steam OS.

But since Steam OS has pretty much failed at this point, and since Windows 10 is going to be free, many people will start to wonder why they need Steam when they can securely buy games from Windows directy without having to use or install steam. Which is what Microsoft realises.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Nope it is a free upgrade from windows 7 or windows 8 or 8.1 to windows 10 for 1 years then after that those who will not have upgraded there copy of 1 of those platform to windows 10 will have to pay to get the windows 10. 

That is all it is. For those that will have upgraded they will keep receiving updates for there windows 10 edition free for life. There will never be a charge for any updates done to the operating system. It is only the upgrade from windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 to windows 10 that have a cost after 1 years that is all.

Edit : for clarification :

updates = windows update that gives you security patches, etc.

Upgrade = going from a previous operating system version to a new one.

So upgrade = free for 1 years for anyone that has windows 7 or windows 8 or windows 8.1 after 1 year of lunch if they have not done so yet they will be charge like everyone else to do so.

Updates will be free for everyone even after 1 year. And to top it off if new features are added to windows 10 they will be free also. 

Edit 2 : sorry OP jsut that there is still people out there that still thinks it will cost them something for updates , etc. or does not even know half of what is been talked here. My post is not targeted at you directly or anyone else by the matter. Sorry again!!!

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I was being....

facetious...

Come on people, did you forget how to have fun?

But seriously, how long till this becomes reality? 

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Originally posted by Velocinox

Do not be such a fool.

Originally posted by Brenics
    Goes live in 6 weeks and one year from then you will have to pay to get any updates.

That was my freaking point!!

Originally posted by Brenics

Updates, as in patches, will be free just like they have always been.

It's pretty simple

-Windows 10 is free for WIndows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. On the condition you download it within the first year of launch

-Everyone else has to pay for Windows.

Patches will be free like they have always been.

Originally posted by seafirex

So upgrade = free for 1 years for anyone that has windows 7 or windows 8 or windows 8.1 after 1 year of lunch if they have not done so yet they will be charge like everyone else to do so.

Updates will be free for everyone even after 1 year. And to top it off if new features are added to windows 10 they will be free also. 

That's right. I don't know why people are getting confused by this.

Upgrading to windows 10 is free if you have windows 7 or 8, on the condition you do it within the first year after launch. (launch is July 29th)

All the rest stays the same. There are no Windows "subscriptions" or "patch fees" or "update fees". Microsoft has never even hinted at that, it's just not true.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Where did 9 go? Did Apple copyright the number?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. Yea, I trust that.

Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    1000 x 1000 Excel grid: unlock the ultimate potential of your spreadsheets with this enormous computing field. Onl 29.99.

I have that with Office 365 for $10 a month.

So it is p2p!!!!!!

Do not be such a fool.

Twisted up before my post, even more twisted up after.

Looks like I nailed it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Windows 10 is free for people who have windows 7 (and 8) because it gives all those people access to the windows app store which makes Microsoft money. It means more users use cortana which will speed up cortana development, and it promotes Xbox / Windows 10 Mobile and more people will use Microsoft Edge browser.

They are still going to charge people money who buy a new PC or want a new copy of Windows 10. But upgrading people who are on windows 7 to windows 10 for free, only has benefits for Microsoft, since most people never upgrade their OS.

This is why Gabe Newell from Valve said he hates Windows 8. The sole reason is the Windows app store, which will cut into steam profits if it takes off. It was first introduced with Windows 8.

This is why Steam OS exists, to counter the Windows app store. Since Valve knew they can't cirvumvent the windows app store, since it's built into the OS, they scrambled to make a Linux OS without the app store right after Windows 8 launched. Steam OS.

But since Steam OS has pretty much failed at this point, and since Windows 10 is going to be free, many people will start to wonder why they need Steam when they can securely buy games from Windows directy without having to use or install steam. Which is what Microsoft realises.

There is one thing we have to keep in mind... Microsoft did not shut down GFWL. If they are using that as the store for games on W10 then GabeN has nothing to worry about.

Do not be such a fool.

Looks like I nailed it.

Maybe you do not know what twisted means, travel back to the 90's with me. I will show you twisted.

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307

They have to make money software does not make itself people.  They're giving it FREE to everyone even if your version of windows is pirated you have to purchase NOTHING from day 1. 

Critical updates after year 1 or 2 will be free. new features will not.

Do not be such a fool.

Looks like I nailed it.

Maybe you do not know what twisted means, travel back to the 90's with me. I will show you twisted.

No I will show you twisted!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the one year free period as a lot of people really really don't like to upgrade until they need software that won't run without it.  It usually takes awhile to work out the bugs anyways, unless it runs like butter right out the box most will still wait even if they have to pay later.  I suppose you could mirror your drives, upgrade, then put the mirrored drives back in and use those until the bugs get worked out, then swap'em back.

I'm also thinking one day there will be a yearly fee for service packs.  They will probably give a discount for those who already rent their other products.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by Markn

They have to make money software does not make itself people.  They're giving it FREE to everyone even if your version of windows is pirated you have to purchase NOTHING from day 1. 

Critical updates after year 1 or 2 will be free. new features will not.

Indeed, they are touting it as the last windows OS are they not so I also think at some point those updates will become features that must be purchased or even subbed too.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Steam OS didn't come out to take out windows over night, when it's not fully out yet, yes one can download it, but still in beta, it's going take 10 years for Steam OS to be around as much as windows. But push what valve is doing, going make Microsoft be more careful what they do, or it's be hard market for them if they push people to linux.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Q: What happens if i need to re-install my PC after i upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 and after the 1 year? Do i have to pay them or can i just re-download and install Windows 10?

~

I think this is all a big scheme of Microsoft to get people on their shitty new OS with cash shop and after the 1 year they will start to charge for everything, including updates. Mark my words, you have been warned.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles

Q: What happens if i need to re-install my PC after i upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 and after the 1 year? Do i have to pay them or can i just re-download and install Windows 10?

You get a product key by email just like every other Windows product. Want to reinstall? Download and use the key.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by MrSnuffles

I think this is all a big scheme of Microsoft to get people on their shitty new OS with cash shop and after the 1 year they will start to charge for everything, including updates. Mark my words, you have been warned.

lol