Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of MMO world would you like to see?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Agnostic42

We have worlds already made inside of MMO's. Want we don't have is a living world, they are all so stagnant and lifeless. I'd gladly pay extra for a game where the world was alive and fluid and GM's roamed the country side messing with people and giving out new and exciting quests. Everquest once did this to a certain extent.

That is true ... but i think the solution is the opposite. Just don't bother with the world since it is not that interesting anyway. Just have good scripted content inside instances.

But see that's what this thread is all about. You made a left when you should have gone right. Wrong thread unless your sole purpose was to derail and argue for the sake of nothing else. 

Maybe make an attempt to be more productive with the huge amount of time you invest on these forums. Surely you have more to add to the community here than this type of behavior?

wait .. you mean no one should have the opposite opinion than the OP who started the thread? What kind of double standard is that? I am sure if I start a topic about the virtual world should be taken away, lots (including you) will post opposite opinions.

And yeah .. i procrastinate too much ... at least i am not wasting hours raiding or playing a virtual world MMO. The good thing about this forum is that a post is just 30 second to 1 min ... and my TOTAL time wasted here is probably a lot less than the time i wasted in something like D3 ... which i really need to play less.

• StylinLPStylinLP Member UncommonPosts: 26

Firefly MMO. Focus on Merchant;/smuggling ship captains, bounty hunters, imperials and ravers. Awesome.

Detailed grainualar focus on Trade skills and smuggling.

Originally posted by StylinLP

Firefly MMO. Focus on Merchant;/smuggling ship captains, bounty hunters, imperials and ravers. Awesome.

Detailed grainualar focus on Trade skills and smuggling.

Firefly is about the characters .. i would much rather watch the show than playing a MMO about it.

• StylinLPStylinLP Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Well, I've always thought the idea of a smuggling capt of your own ship trying to balance the line between legal trade and smuggling was really cool. Much like Han Solo on the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. They attempted to give that in the Star Wars MMO's but fell flat. I want to see smuggling and trading done very well.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by StylinLP
    Well, I've always thought the idea of a smuggling capt of your own ship trying to balance the line between legal trade and smuggling was really cool. Much like Han Solo on the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. They attempted to give that in the Star Wars MMO's but fell flat. I want to see smuggling and trading done very well.

Have you tried moving goods in EVE?

Or, if you want to really go down the rabbit hole, here's a guide to setting up your own deep space meth labs and becoming the universe's next Scarface:

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/jowen/ATAP_booster_production_v1.0.pdf

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

world:

- seasons, day/night cycle, weather

ecology:

- food sources, herbivores, predators

- herbivores move to food sources, predators move to prey, no random mobs standing around or random movement

monsters:

- day cycle: hunting, patrols, work etc depending on monster

npcs

- like simple sims, have a home and place of work, despawn at night etc

so even if players aren't there the world is alive

players

- options for more non-combat progression: as well as non-combat professions, paths etc also make monsters the obstacle in a mission more often than the goal itself so a mission to retrieve an object could be completed by killing everything along the way or it could be completed by stealth, charm, bribery, magic etc

- non combat skills/spells to fit above

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Heres an idea for a kickstarter but founders input would ruin the idea.

A medievil sandbox mmo.. not an rpg just a sabdbox mmo.. no story chain !! Just the game world and its mechanics

Basically the player creates a toon and enters the frey. From here he learns to live in the game world how ever he wants.. the point snd focus of the game will be massive group play in the form of building villaged towns fortresses and so on to hold dominion over the lands the player groups take for their own.. no boundaries... the game will be none full pvp unless the plzyers guild flicks the pvp switch which will lock the guild in pvp mode indefinately.. crafting will be simple but deep and emersive where crafters are the number one important class in the game building and creating everything needed for the game to finction.

There will be npc villages that offer protection from pvp snd also supplies basic gear and quests for solo players to learn and get a feel for the game.. for pve there will be npc stribgholds caves forts towns clans and so on which groups of players can raid for gold and fame points.. fame unkocks armour decals and patterns aswell as bew dedigns of logos for cloakd shields and tabbards for obvious reasons...

There wont be any skills just the same control and combat system as mount and blade making player skill the key to success and removing key smashing entirely from the game.. no grinding to be good with a certain wheapon or armour.. its this simple what you wear determines your level of protection. How you use it also determines its effectiveness And how lkng it lasts. In the game everything eventually breaks so visiting an armourer often will extend the life of your gear.. crafters can make gear better with finer qaulity materials and perseverance. This only effects the deflection rating and durability and ifcourse the colour of the crafted armour .... the game is about player interaction with each other on an unbound scale. There will be a complex diplomacy and war declaration system which opens up many other new possible play styles such as the spy.. or the informatiin trader. Or the subtorfuge players. Just mull it over.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I would be looking for a MMORPG that fits these criteria:

Firstly, I want to a MMO that is developed, invested in, and managed by Players, not Suits that never played a MMO. If a person who makes decisions about MMOs isn't a Player of MMOs than in my opinion by default their decisions will be flawed.

Actions ingame can be either neutral, aggressive, or non-aggressive... aka beneficial to other Players. I want the ability in a MMORPG to choose whether my actions are threatening or non-threatening (one example is I want option to shut off autoattack). I don't buy into the game design philosophy that all actions in a game must be considered aggressive or hostile to others. I've played MMOs that are designed that way and I will no longer support those who are.

In other words... I want the game designed in such as way as to allow Players to do things ingame without automatically being considered as a threat or competition or hostile (such as in EvE Online).

I want a MMO that retains and improves upon the old school design patterns of the early MMOs like DAoC, EQ, EnB, etc. Combat, Exploration, Socialization, Crafting, PvP Warzones.  Guild system without it being overbearing to Solo Players. Both Group and Solo content based without stressing emphasis on either one. Differing Factions or "Nations" that are unique from each other in regards to skills, abilities, buffs, etc. (not copy paste). PvP and PvE "home safe areas" for each Faction. Both Combat and Crafting/non-Combat activities with the Player deciding on what they want to do without a gating content through content only. A method of Selling items ingame to other Players without it being controlled by Guilds Only.

I want a MMO that is funded like the old school MMOs were... No crowdfunding, no paid Alpha and Beta Testing, No out of Pocket Costs for Players / Customer until Release (pre-order I have no issue with).  Cash Shop with cosmetics is OK with me as long as it never goes beyond cosmetics.

I want a MMO where almost everything ingame is acquired INGAME by playing the game, not by paying real life money in a Cash Shop, e.g. Mounts, Skill Packs, Dyes, etc. The MMO I would want to play would receive most of it's funding through purchase price and Subscriptions, not through any other means.

In other words I want to play a MMO that is designed so each Player that plays the game is no more and no less advantaged ingame because of how much money they spend on the game. Equal footing as far as Players and how they spend money to support the game. No Pay 2 Win. "Pay to Look Good" is OK with me.

and please, no cartoon graphics. Lotro style graphics, or Rift, are examples of the graphics I would want to see ingame.... just with better character animations/design than LotRO please.

(and yes I realize I might never see a new MMO like this and that is why I spend a fraction of my money on MMO compared to years ago.... Devs aren't making the product I want, and funding it the way I want,  like they did years ago.)

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I've had high hopes for the mmorpg Otherland that is a world based on a fantasy novel where you make up the world as you go.  If I understand it right (and I might be way off I don't detail orient well) the novel was about a computer hooked up to the minds of invalid comatose children that had been kidnapped.  When you enter the game you are inside the child's mind and anything is possible.  You are looking for hints to the kid's whereabouts. 

OP said, "What kind of MMO world would you like to see?" and I'm still waiting for a multi universe to be made.  You start on one planet in one starter zone but you can find teleports or space travel to other worlds and they could be any environment imaginable.  But no being stuck in sci fi wardware; OMG the only reason I don't play scifi games is the damn clothes are so ugly!  And the guns are ugly.  And the robots are ugly.  And the buildings are ugly.  Etc etc etc.  U G L Y.

If you are talking about graphic art style I really don't like color filled worlds.  I like the dark bleak almost black and white Skyrim'ish type settings.  But with special places with color you can find.  When EVERYTHING is colorful it doesn't make anything stand out as special.  And it gives a headache.  But if everything is dark and bleak it gives a depressed hopeless attitude.  There needs to be better balance so there's not to much of either.

More adult (EA style) themes. 

Do I really need to say there is no point in doing anything other than a 3d fancy.  2d or less is for small children just learning to play games and are satisfied with less.

*Edited for spelling error.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I would be looking for a MMORPG that fits these criteria:

Firstly, I want to a MMO that is developed, invested in, and managed by Players, not Suits that never played a MMO. If a person who makes decisions about MMOs isn't a Player of MMOs than in my opinion by default their decisions will be flawed.

I want a bridge made by people who drive on them, not by greedy engineers who take planes everywhere.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by alyndale

I would LOVE to see an mmo that isn't pvp-centric. 

YES! There are plenty of PVP sandboxes that are live or in development that have PVP as the endgame or core gameplay. I'd really like to see some where the player interaction selling point is:

"...and band together to compete, collaborate, and build with your community!"

instead of

"...and then you rape everyone, smash their things, and loot them dry!"

I'd love to see a Zombie themed game where the real danger was from zombies exterminating all of the players, so they players would have to band together to survive, rather than prey upon each other.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

YES! There are plenty of PVP sandboxes that are live or in development that have PVP as the endgame or core gameplay. I'd really like to see some where the player interaction selling point is:

instead of

I'd love to see a Zombie themed game where the real danger was from zombies exterminating all of the players, so they players would have to band together to survive, rather than prey upon each other.

When doing the Zog Cabal storyline in UO, one of the events we had was with black wisps that were growing in power. Players had to stop them because their corruption was spreading and nearing populated areas. What we wanted to do was have it so that as the black wisp influence spread, it would damage player houses. This would make for an immediacy or direness to the situation so that people rally to fight them. The idea was shot down because it was decided that people would just flip out on the forums and in the support queue rather than try to protect their things. 

I'd really like to see something like you suggest there, with some serious ramification to losing the war against them, but that doesn't fly with most players, so invasions or 'fight back the enemy' usually has little consequence in MMO. 

But, if you're interested in that type of gameplay, check out http://die2nite.com

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Originally posted by DocBrody
    I´d like to see something really new, everything that is NOT fantasy with elves and wizards.

agreed!

Something steampunk or old west or an EQ type game based in the future / sci fi.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

P.S. - we need MORE superhero games like City of Heroes, PLEASE!!! Loved that game!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by Tokken

P.S. - we need MORE superhero games like City of Heroes, PLEASE!!! Loved that game!

I would much rather play superhero games like marvel heroes. At least you can play the actual characters in the comic books instead of your self-made knock-off.

That is the reason I don't play DCU. It would be great if someone make a new modern DC heroes based action RPG where I can play superman, batman & so on.

instead of

When doing the Zog Cabal storyline in UO, one of the events we had was with black wisps that were growing in power. Players had to stop them because their corruption was spreading and nearing populated areas. What we wanted to do was have it so that as the black wisp influence spread, it would damage player houses. This would make for an immediacy or direness to the situation so that people rally to fight them. The idea was shot down because it was decided that people would just flip out on the forums and in the support queue rather than try to protect their things. 

I'd really like to see something like you suggest there, with some serious ramification to losing the war against them, but that doesn't fly with most players, so invasions or 'fight back the enemy' usually has little consequence in MMO. 

But, if you're interested in that type of gameplay, check out http://die2nite.com

I think FFXI tried something like this with their Besieged campaign, but no idea how well that really turned out in terms of players actually liking it.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Besieged

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    stargate tv show ,western theme, after western  roman empire fail timeline,africa during colonisation , warhammer 40k mmorpg not shooter ,
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    sci-fi mmo would be great..  and perhaps another star wars mmo more focused on pvp since swtor keeps messing up in that department.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    EQ2, you can go into the sky and into the water. It's very cool. You should try it sometime. Just keep in mind that you will need a flying mount to get into the air.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I would love an mmo where there was a whole lot less game, and a whole lot more world.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    I would love an mmo where there was a whole lot less game, and a whole lot more world.

I would love an MMO where there was a whole lot MORE game, and a whole lot LESS world.

Guess we are not playing the same games.

I would love an MMO where there was a whole lot MORE game, and a whole lot LESS world.

You've already got a whole truckload to chose from, this thread is for those who dream of something that doesn't really exist at present.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

or maybe we are playing the same games but for different reasons

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

You've already got a whole truckload to chose from, this thread is for those who dream of something that doesn't really exist at present.

May be I can keep them entertained with forum pvp when they are waiting?

It is not like we haven't seen the dead horse about the lack of virtual worlds here day in and day out, and more flogging will change the world.

or maybe we are playing the same games but for different reasons

That may be possible .. since I can always ignore a world, and only enjoy the game part of a MMO. What games do you play?