Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Oculus VR PC will cost you minimum $1500.

2»

Comments

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Most people already have a good enough mobo, a case, and a PSU since you can run a 970 with 500W. That leaves upgrading ram, which is cheap, getting a card and a cpu.
  • FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Mavolence

Dude, read the quotes again, we were talking about the poster that said he built a full machine for 600 hundred dollars a year ago.

I did. My point is, it's doable. I posted something WAY better, and with more stuff (PSU, Motherboard, Case, HDD), and it's only $900. Maybe he even bought second-hand.

I believe it's not bullshit, that's all.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

The Oculus recommended specs are no different than the games you'll be playing on it... so you're going to need that sort of PC anyway, unless you're planning on playing Oculus Doom.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

The only part of these requirements that seems steep is the graphics card, but it's not that bad overall.

I am sure they have taken into account that most people have a pc bellow that range of hardware anyway.

The real question will be if such an expensive gadget will be worth the price tag. I doubt there are that many people that want to throw almost 2k just to pretend they are characters from SOA or Dot Hack

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Tymoris

The only part of these requirements that seems steep is the graphics card, but it's not that bad overall.

I am sure they have taken into account that most people have a pc bellow that range of hardware anyway.

The real question will be if such an expensive gadget will be worth the price tag. I doubt there are that many people that want to throw almost 2k just to pretend they are characters from SOA or Dot Hack

Again, the Oculus VR itself will cost between $300 - $400. Some HOTAS costs significantly more than that, and there's a good market for them. Oculus will have a good market, as well, since it's a broader audience that may want it. Also, by the time it releases (late 2016, apparently), these specs won't be neither that expensive nor uncommon. Like the poster before said, the games themselves will need similar specs, so it won't be an issue at all. Also, if you're willing to spend $300 or $400 on a peripheral to "augment your gaming experience", then you're probably going to have a way better system configuration that the "optimal" for the VR, just like you have with games (I haven't had to read a game's requirements for a long time now).

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Franconstein

Again, the Oculus VR itself will cost between $300 - $400. Some HOTAS costs significantly more than that, and there's a good market for them. Oculus will have a good market, as well, since it's a broader audience that may want it. Also, by the time it releases (late 2016, apparently), these specs won't be neither that expensive nor uncommon. Like the poster before said, the games themselves will need similar specs, so it won't be an issue at all. Also, if you're willing to spend $300 or $400 on a peripheral to "augment your gaming experience", then you're probably going to have a way better system configuration that the "optimal" for the VR, just like you have with games (I haven't had to read a game's requirements for a long time now).

Well the min specs that have been posted are not horrible by any means (granted if a 970 is the min the max is what ? A titan?). People that are into pc gaming are about there anyway as you said.

Thing is though I am doubting there will be enough games to support the gadget, since the trend lately seems to be to keep them around the consoles average.

But maybe by 2016 the rift will be optimised to accept a wider array of pcs.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I'm all for anything that legitimately pushes the boundary of performance and creates a legitimate and tangible need for "better"

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Well the min specs that have been posted are not horrible by any means (granted if a 970 is the min the max is what ? A titan?). People that are into pc gaming are about there anyway as you said.

Thing is though I am doubting there will be enough games to support the gadget, since the trend lately seems to be to keep them around the consoles average.

But maybe by 2016 the rift will be optimised to accept a wider array of pcs.

I remember back in the 80s and early 90s, old x86 PCs had a Turbo button - you could disengage the turbo because some software speed was hard coded - you couldn't play Space Invaders if everything was moving 10x faster because your new computer was 10x faster than your old one, so you could turn off the Turbo and slow it back down.

That's the last time I've actually seen a "Max" hardware requirement. I have often seen software written where there was no hardware available at the time of release that could run all the options maxed out - it took another generation or two of hardware to catch up to the game.

So I wouldn't worry about any "Max" hardware recommendation - if there is a demand for it, generational advances will optimize for it, software will get smoothed out, and the hardware will get there.

I definitely would not bet on the optimizations lowering the "Minimum" though - if your hoping that your under-specificiation PC will magically be able to do ~whatever~, your making the wrong wish, and that isn't what I would want Occulus or any other developer to do. You want to look forward, push the envelope ahead, and if what you are doing is impactful enough, it will pull the technology and the market forward. You don't want to artificailly limit your product market, but at the same time, you don't want to be pushing backwards, you want to move forward.

Case in point - have the hardware requirements for WoW ever went down? No, but they have went up over the years - a PC that played WoW in 2004 definitely can't run WoW with the same options today, and there is an exceedingly good chance it can't run WoW at all.

In other words, I would say - maybe by 2016 the platform has matured and hardware has advanced so that the minimum requirements can be meet with a lower cost.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Franconstein
    Originally posted by husscool
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I have a PC with those specs, I built it myself, for about 600 dollars a year ago.

OP, this is not the first time I've seen you post unusual things...

The graphics card alone in that spec list is $350. Probably more a year ago.

How did you buy an i5, RAM, Motherboard, Case, HDD (SSD), Windows OS,..for the remaining $250?

I'd like to know too

He's full of shit

No, he's not.

Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5: $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161459

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo): $170

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3: $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+: $125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM: $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W: $125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower: $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

GRAND TOTAL: $915.

That's an ENTIRE HIGH-END GAMING PC I just built. I was pretty too generous with several components, and still, it's not $1500. Even if you went out of you way and upgraded some of that stuff (different brands, slightly better performances, etc.), it'd be around $1000.

If you don't have a PC with these specs, or can't spend about $500 to upgrade your rig, then there's no reason for us to believe that you'll spend $300 - $400 in a VR set.

lol, you're deceptive to the extreme. The original number was $600 instead of $915, you left out an operating system and you turned the Intel i5 into a lower cost AMD.

How stupid do you think we are?

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

Both the $1100 and $600 are just plain wrong, one is over exaggerated then other under exaggerated, especially if we're thinking about the time frame around last black friday to new year for buying the parts ($230 290s GPUs and very cheap ram).

If i was living in the US and buying a computer circa last black friday, this is what i would have had gotten (I'm not even count the tens of dollars cheaper mobo ram and cpu were for black friday, just gonna count the discounted 290 gpu i remember) :

First i'd have gone to a microcenter and gotten a cpu+mobo combo for $250, or i would have gotten the 4590 at micro for $160 http://www.microcenter.com/product/432161/Core_i5-4590_33GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor and a H97 Asrock mobo for  $65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157547

so that's either either $250 for 4690k + Asrock Z97 Pro 4 or $224 for 4590 + H97 Asrock, also a 4590 + H81 mobo would be $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731, i wouldn't have bought it, but it's and was there on black friday, 2x usb 3.0 on mobo check, atleast 8 GB on mobo check, can put a 4590 in it check.

Memory for $50 2x4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416 it was more expensive than this but there plenty black friday sales with mobo, i would have sniped a motherboard + ram deal on newegg like Quizzical recommends and it would have been even cheaper for both parts.

There were plenty of <$240 Radeon 290s back then, i would have just gotten the powercolor or asus one for $210 that i was drooling about when i saw the price and this HIS has been hovering $230-$250 the whole year : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161459

$50 HDD 

$30 Rosewill case 

would have snapped the Rosewill Capstone 550w for dirty cheap from one of dozen sales it had around then and after : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068 but lets leave it at current price of $70

And i would have had gotten a second hand unused win 7 64-bit ultimate os licence for about ~$40 

1) $224 + $50 + $210 + $50 + $30 + $70 + $40 = $674 ($732 after taxes)

2) or $650 with a H81 mobo ($706)

add $10 for shipping and 7% tax (I'd like to think i would be living in California) of $47.88 for $684 and that's $731.88

Pretty close to the $600 mark don't you say ? granted this is all black friday prices, and also i would have never bought everything at newegg, i would have observed black friday prices and all shops like hawk, gotten all the cheapest part whenever cheapest anywhere, and all the combos and deals, so it would probably be even cheaper.

even if u use a full price oem licence for os it's ~$800 after taxes and after shipping

And that's way less than $1100 , so there you have it.

So calling people names who would buy similar and reuse case, hdd, psu, and peripherals, and would have gotten a similar to this pc for ~$650 is just uncalled for, because it was possible, and it still is, and that's a fact.

Originally posted by 13lake

And i would have had gotten a second hand unused win 7 64-bit ultimate os licence for about ~$40 

what are you talking about

can't people just use normal stuff to make their PC, that cheap HIS GPU you recommend has half the people saying it broke down

so that's either either $250 for 4690k + Asrock Z97 Pro 4 or $224 for 4590 + H97 Asrock, also a 4590 + H81 mobo would be $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731, i wouldn't have bought it, but it's and was there on black friday, 2x usb 3.0 on mobo check, atleast 8 GB on mobo check, can put a 4590 in it check.

You're going to put a AMD 290 on a micro ATX motherboard, really? lol

Originally posted by Kiyoris

what are you talking about

can't people just use normal stuff to make their PC, that cheap HIS GPU you recommend has half the people saying it broke down

a Micro ATX motherboard, really? lol

Would have gotten it replaced it's got a warranty HIS is a decent good brand overall, and mind you i would have gotten the Powecolor PCS+ or Asus DC versions when i was buying hypothetically on black friday not the HIS specifically.

I've also included prices with full $90-$100 OS in my post, there's nothing to be surprised about on the OS front, and i would use reddit to find  a $30-$40 completely legit win7, or hypothetically gotten one from my college/uni 

Also it's not like the HIS broke more than 50% of the time absolutely, so to speculate that because a small % of overall buyers had problems on 1 reseller in the world that i would have mine break with utmost certainty is also untrue.

If people want to recommend a system, please recommend something decent. That's all. Don't recommend the cheapest garbage you can find. And that HIS card is garbage.
    If people want to recommend a system, please recommend something decent. That's all. Don't recommend the cheapest garbage you can find. And that HIS card is garbage.

I like how u skipped everything else in the build, i love how the only thing you found wrong is the HIS, it's proof you feel like my savings on the other parts and choice of other parts were not short of genius fiscally responsibility to power/quality of components wise.

EDIT: I've only now noticed that u also have a problem with one of the mobo options so, what i've wrote here is not entirely true t hen i apologize because i did not notice that specific additional post of yours while i was writing this current one (Your complaint about the mobo is also not actually a problem at all)

Thank you for acknowledging that all the other parts in my build are sufficient for a enthusiast on a budget to fulfill the VR criteria, i hope other posters on the forum are as supportive of my hypothetical build.

You're going to put a AMD 290 on a micro ATX motherboard, really? lol

Does it matter for the listed build ? Does it matter for me specifically nope, it's got 2x USB3.0 it can take the 8GB @ 1600Mhz, and i can mildy overclock the 4690k if i want to but i would not do it, due to stock heatsink.

Secondly what's the problem with 290 on that mATX ? There is none ? It even has a PCi- E 3.0 slot x16, even though 2.0x16 is plenty.

There is no difference between using a mATX or a normal mobo for a 290 graphic card whatsoever, the incompatibility is non-existent regarding the GPU specifically.

i love how the only thing you found wrong is the HIS, it's proof you feel like my savings on the other parts and choice of other parts were not short of genius fiscally responsibility to power/quality of components wise.

The HIS card is not the only thing.

Windows is $99 OEM. It's not "$40 second hand from reddit* or "free from college".

And use a decent motherboard. Not a $41 micro ATX board.

I see people do this all the time, looking for the cheapest cr*p they can possibly find, and then recommending people buy that. Why? Just so you can offer the cheapest junk and ugliest case and a PSU that is probably going to break down after a few months?

If you're going to recommend a PC, recommend something that isn't cr*p.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Here we go again, pass them around

i love how the only thing you found wrong is the HIS, it's proof you feel like my savings on the other parts and choice of other parts were not short of genius fiscally responsibility to power/quality of components wise.

The HIS card is not the only thing.

Windows is $99 OEM. It's not "$40 from reddit* or "free from college".

And use a decent motherboard. Not a  $41 micro ATX board.

I see people do this all the time, trying to get the cheapest cr*p they can find, and then recommending people buy that. Why? Just so you can offer the cheapest junk and ugliest case and a PSU that is probably going to break down after a few months?

You're ignoring have of what i've written and more than half in my main post. I have calculated THE FULL PRICE OF THE OS and posted post tax post delievery prices of that also as a comparison, in the case i hypothetically would not be savvy enough to get the OS for $40/free, so stop walking over that part.

Again i can't state this often enough, it's an additional option, and for going for 4590 specifically instead of 4670K there is nothing that makes the H81 build + 4590 have a downside, and i mean nothing, in all builds only a single HDD is connected so the only thing that mATX bords and cheapear chipset boards actually lack is irrelevant cause i have only 1 HDD.

H81 lets me do 2x4GB@1600MHz ram, it has 2xUSB3.0 slots, the cpu is min req. won't be oc-ed, Every single req. is fullfilfed, with no negative downsides, so i ask you what exactly is the problem with that specific part of a proposition for the build ?

The psu is gonna break after a few months ? Rosewill Capstone is gonna brake after a months, and on top of that it has a short warranty ? you didn't even read what psu i put in the build did you ? i mean, really ?

The PSU manufacturer with the best quality/price in the world is gonna break after a few months as in Super Flower will ?

Rosewill capstone 550 is better than 100% of what u have in mind for a PSU for that price range, and i stand by that, and only because i know jonnyguru would too.

So the beauty of a pc case is a minimal requirement for the Occulus, or any PC for that matter ?

I feel i like i need to clarify, your idea of a junk pc is not the same idea all the people have, nor is it without doubt the right one, and neither is mine for that matter, if u don't like the aesthetics , or the specific brands , it doesn't mean that they are crap, it just means you personally don't prefer them, there's a big distiction there.

If you're going to recommend a PC, recommend something that isn't cr*p.

I don't care and don't want you to either : acknowledge that anything u said is wrong, nor that my build is either decent, goodish, good , pretty good, very good or any of those, nor silly I'm right you weren't, etc, nor to answer, prove or disprove anything i wrote. 

The only thing i care and want you to do, is to stop peddling personal opinions as fact, think outside of the box, and do a little research on your own, before u start getting all riled up.

There are many ways to build and many ways to cut price, none of them all always right, and none of them all always wrong, but some are better than others, and it's not for the people who present them to decide which ( experience, research, patience, self-critique, logic over emotion are king to success in this, take it from personal experience).

Don't get stuck into a single way of thinking, or a single type of components to build, sometimes using cheaper components in certain parts of a computer doesn't make the computer any worse than using more expensive components in those parts of a computer.

Knowing where u can and can't and how much u can and cant cut and go cheaper is difference between knowing a lot about building computers and knowing enough.

My motto is always aspire to be as savvy as much as possible technically, think and plan initially like you're the best and smartest on the planet, and then right as you finish that first pass, review and change assuming that initial plan like you're the worst and the most stupid, and the build is shit, and hunt for mistakes and better options vigorously. Then on the 3rd pass, think outside of the box do more research compare what other people did, and only after all of this start using your money.

"Dream big, plan bigger, revise, revise, revise, accept all mistakes, and only adjust to reality on the last step, don't let you preconceptions slow you down,  don't let your ego and belief system trick you and set you back."

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

I just put together a used system with  i7 4790, microZ97 board, 8 gigs ram, 500gb ssd, and a temp 660ti video board.  All for just under $525.   Will probably reuse an older case, certainly my Win7Ultimate, power supply etc.  Although there are a few good cases available on CL locally for under $75, so that's doable as well.  While I didn't need it, I ran across legit $50 Win 7 serial keys as well.

In any case, by late 2016, the prices on the sort of system referenced in the original statement will be that much cheaper.  Just look back at prices a year and a half ago.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.