Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard logic right now

LegacyGameLegacyGame Member UncommonPosts: 132

The image isn't broken on my screen in mozilla or chrome, here's an alt link

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    What an insightful and interesting thread.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    At least that black screen is a massive graphics upgrade.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Someone explain this no flying thing I keep hearing about in WoW.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    WoW had 4 expansions full of cool flying mounts, they sold them in their cash shop, they gave them away at events.

They disabled flying in WoD.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    there's still plenty of zones to fly around in..

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Somehow it pretty interest OP .

But you right , and it's the best for Blizzard to keep doing what they did in past 10 years.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Blizzard's logic right now:

"Guys, we are making more money than ever before what should we do?"

"Make more money?"

"Yes, good idea, I agree."

End.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Some folks are upset there is no flying in the new expansion area. They are making the area feel larger somewhat the way GW2 has by restricting travel to foot or mount. 

My view is it's fine the way they have it now. Patience is all everyone needs because they will eventually make it like the rest of the game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have stopped play WoW, got board again but I did find the no flying thing awesome. Made you play the game over flying from quest point to quest point. Sick of fighting my way to a node to have a druid swoop in as I was killing the last few NPCs at the node. Take it and fly away. I think no flying was the best move they made. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Dullahan

This expansion and so on no more flying, what I hear people doing less exploring with there plan back fire to get more and more people to explore the map as takes longer to travel in it, but there are big % of people pretty upset about this on there forums, and they still selling people flying mounts is a other funny part.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's likely their logic isn't a large, broken image.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Axehilt

It's likely their logic isn't a large, broken image.

No, as other posters have stated, Blizzard felt that any new zones they were implementing were being wasted as players simply skipped the world to fly to the waypoint.  They wanted this expansion to bring back a virtual world feel.

This flying also resulted in players not having a real chance to interact with one another in the game world either, something Blizzard wanted to encourage by disabling flying mounts.  However, they also added Garrisons in this expansion, which kind of contradicts this idea.  So they weren't incredibly consistent about it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Why would you design quests and the world in a way that flying makes it obsolete. Design it so that flying is part of it and necessary. Quests from up, high areas that you need to get to, mobs that can chase you and pull you down.

Boggles me.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Why would you design quests and the world in a way that flying makes it obsolete. Design it so that flying is part of it and necessary. Quests from up, high areas that you need to get to, mobs that can chase you and pull you down.

Boggles me.

What???? What will come of the griefers if they did that? Attacking in mid-air? That's preposterous!!! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I have stopped play WoW, got board again but I did find the no flying thing awesome. Made you play the game over flying from quest point to quest point. Sick of fighting my way to a node to have a druid swoop in as I was killing the last few NPCs at the node. Take it and fly away. I think no flying was the best move they made. 

this bit shortsighted an easy too still face problems so he can't fly so he just stealth follow you till you till your on last few mobs an steal said node....

also if you played the new expansion ore an herbs are very easy too farm now that you have a garrison having both respawn once a day just make few alts = profit

flying should be a option it has been for years too say i like X more then Y should not take away option Y just cause  half or more of  the people  think it better. mit well keep applying that logic too more things.

take away raid finder it break the game making raid loot too easy, people should have too lfg like before!

BG should not drop loot they should buy crafting gear an earn honor point like before!

it not hard too find thing you like an wish the whole game was like that but this is a MMO with 7 million + players too decide that half your player base or even if it less, that they should just suck it up it a poor business model that will cost them long term.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Hasn't this been the case for every expansion since they've introduced flying mounts?

The developers create the zones & quest lines with a certain expectation in mind what players will encounter.  Allowing people to fly over obstacles short cuts the intended experience so they usually set restrictions in place that prevent people from being able to fly in newly introduced zones.  (IE, you have to hit level cap to be eligible to purchase Advanced or Cold Weather Flying Skill that allows you to fly in the new zone)

Instead of having to come up with another lame name for a special flying skill needed to fly in the new zone, it sounds like they just set a global ban on flying until they feel that sufficient enough people have experienced all the content the zone has to offer.  

They just don't want the new content to be deemed "fly over country" just yet.

Also, the fact that this is an issue with the WOW "community" is just reason 105 why I don't play the game anymore. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    WoW had 4 expansions full of cool flying mounts, they sold them in their cash shop, they gave them away at events.

They disabled flying in WoD.

all those precious mounts of yours can be used on ground too.

i don't see your point :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I'd prefer that new areas don't allow flying. But Blizzard should have been clear about it leading up to the expansion.
    Originally posted by RajCaj

Hasn't this been the case for every expansion since they've introduced flying mounts?

The developers create the zones & quest lines with a certain expectation in mind what players will encounter.  Allowing people to fly over obstacles short cuts the intended experience so they usually set restrictions in place that prevent people from being able to fly in newly introduced zones.  (IE, you have to hit level cap to be eligible to purchase Advanced or Cold Weather Flying Skill that allows you to fly in the new zone)

Instead of having to come up with another lame name for a special flying skill needed to fly in the new zone, it sounds like they just set a global ban on flying until they feel that sufficient enough people have experienced all the content the zone has to offer.  

They just don't want the new content to be deemed "fly over country" just yet.

Also, the fact that this is an issue with the WOW "community" is just reason 105 why I don't play the game anymore. 

it's true that they've done this with every new expansion.. but with this one i dont think they've designed it so flying will ever be possible.. else all these jumping puzzles and what not would've been a waste.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    There's so many flight points in WoD that they mine as well enable flying honestly.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It is kind of illogical of them to sell a flying mount when they have no intention of having flying in the future.  Oh well, if people are stupid enough to pay Blizzard for it, that's their own choice.  It would only make sense if you're going to be hanging out in the old zones pre-WoD.
    Originally posted by observer
    It is kind of illogical of them to sell a flying mount when they have no intention of having flying in the future.  Oh well, if people are stupid enough to pay Blizzard for it, that's their own choice.  It would only make sense if you're going to be hanging out in the old zones pre-WoD.

as you said the old zones have flying so what's the big deal?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    Originally posted by observer

as you said the old zones have flying so what's the big deal?

Because people will be spending most of their time in WoD and the new content.  There aren't many reasons to go back to these old zones, unless you want to do old achievements, raids, and dungeons, or start a new alt.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie

No, as other posters have stated, Blizzard felt that any new zones they were implementing were being wasted as players simply skipped the world to fly to the waypoint.  They wanted this expansion to bring back a virtual world feel. 

This flying also resulted in players not having a real chance to interact with one another in the game world either, something Blizzard wanted to encourage by disabling flying mounts.  However, they also added Garrisons in this expansion, which kind of contradicts this idea.  So they weren't incredibly consistent about it.

No, I mean the OP's image is literally a large broken image.

If the topic is no flying in Draenor, I found that largely to be fine (because you can still teleport to all the places you really care about) and I largely agree that garrisons didn't work out well in that specific aspect (the gameplay to garrisons was enjoyable, but they should have been placed directly adjacent to a social hub where you could hang out.)

The only nitpick I have for no flying is that ESO/GW2/Diablo style instant teleportation is the ideal for waypoint fast travel systems, as it retains localized distances but lets you instantly teleport to the region you care about.  WOW's flight paths are alright, but take an inconvenient amount of time which serves no gameplay purpose; it would be better if the system worked more like ESO/GW2.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie

No, I mean the OP's image is literally a large broken image.

If the topic is no flying in Draenor, I found that largely to be fine (because you can still teleport to all the places you really care about) and I largely agree that garrisons didn't work out well in that specific aspect (the gameplay to garrisons was enjoyable, but they should have been placed directly adjacent to a social hub where you could hang out.)

The only nitpick I have for no flying is that ESO/GW2/Diablo style instant teleportation is the ideal for waypoint fast travel systems, as it retains localized distances but lets you instantly teleport to the region you care about.  WOW's flight paths are alright, but take an inconvenient amount of time which serves no gameplay purpose; it would be better if the system worked more like ESO/GW2.

I caught the sarcasm, I was just using your post as a jumping off point to expound on the reasoning (and the seemingly contradictory garrison feature).  Should've made that more clear reading my post now.

I agree that teleport waypoint fast travel is ideal so long as a good balance of waypoints to explorable locales is struck.  Ideally it would set players up to explore whatever region they chose while not teleporting them directly to everything worth exploring.