Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I used to think I had fairly low standards when it came to game graphics

2»

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,229
    Originally posted by kitarad
    I think the download is the low resolution for space you need to pick high resolution from what I recall years ago reinstalling this game then it always by default left the high resolution files out. Check whether you have the high resolution files.

    Unless they've changed it, that is true. You have to choose to download the better resolution textures.

    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by kitarad
    I think the download is the low resolution for space you need to pick high resolution from what I recall years ago reinstalling this game then it always by default left the high resolution files out. Check whether you have the high resolution files.

    Unless they've changed it, that is true. You have to choose to download the better resolution textures.

    The client automatically asks if you want to download high res textures.

  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

    I dunno.  They looked nice a few years ago, but I can't play it now because some combination of Windows 8.1 + my sound drivers + LOTRO makes my sound card crackle every time I move the mouse, and tech support for this game is pretty much non-existent after all this time.  Since I don't like playing games with the sound muted, I'll have to pass until I buy new hardware that might happen to work again.

     

    (I did find one other game that does the same thing... Magicka, released around the same time I think)

     

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

    If everyone here says I'm wrong, then it must be me. I'll try to re-download and install again and won't judge it until I have the high res fully downloaded.

    My PC is 4+ years old, running Windows 7 x64, 9 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260, but I'm comparing it to other games running on it. I'm running at 1920x1200 on a 27" monitor.

    Thanks for all the feedback!

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Sovrath

    lol, oh, and this is a comic I made years ago when the Lineage 2 servers were shut down because of hackers and I found myself playing in EQ2 ... Apparently I didn't think EQ2 was very special

    :-P

    Yeah the graphics were never my thing in EQ2, both style and execution, but it is a god game with a lot of depth, which is why I played it . It's also why I used it as a comparison. I'd play another game with looks >= EQ 2 if it had other compelling things.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    LOTRO had pretty good graphics for it's time besides the avatars. But it is from 2007 and Wow hardly look the same today as it did back then either. Also, Wows cartoony graphics tend to age better.

    You can't really expect a 10 years old game to look good, not even when they added some dx11 support.

    Sure, AoC is just a few years newer and it looks better but it had serious problems with performance at release (partly because unoptimized engine but also partly because of it's high demands on hardware).

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,580
    Originally posted by Smashix

    If everyone here says I'm wrong, then it must be me. I'll try to re-download and install again and won't judge it until I have the high res fully downloaded.

    My PC is 4+ years old, running Windows 7 x64, 9 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260, but I'm comparing it to other games running on it. I'm running at 1920x1200 on a 27" monitor.

    Thanks for all the feedback!

    Don't download the happy cloud version, or whatever it is. Download the hi-res client from the start. I just upgraded a system that had a GTX-260 in it and the game looked as good or better than other games of its age. I have a new system now that can play the game on ultra with dx11 enabled and the game looks great.

    The character skins and faces are pretty good, but the animations themselves are pretty horrible. I think it's a limitation of the ancient engine the game runs on. It just doesn't seem capable of great character modeling for whatever reason.

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,973
    Originally posted by Smashix
    I also wasn't thrilled with the installer. HappyCloud started by installing on an external backup drive, without asking me first. I was wondering what was taking so long and then I heard the backup drive going and figured it out. It had no simple way of changing the cache files location (the solution was to move the already downloaded files and edit the Windows Registry in a few dozen places). It also didn't clean up after itself properly after uninstalling.

    At least Steam will install it with the rest of their games.  So if you run on D that's where it will go.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,604
    As others have said, it sounds like you might have the low quality textures installed.  IMO, Lotro is one of the best looking 8 year old games around.
  • Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122

    @opener

    your pc is maybe 4 years old when you bought it, but gtx 260 is from 2008. you have a really really old gpu bro

  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Yea, LOTRO lands look boring, you see one land you saw them all,poor graphic design, bunch of boars everywhere.  But EQ2??? LOL it is even worst than LOTRO
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,986
    Originally posted by Smashix

    But I was amazed by what I saw when I installed LOTRO. I can't believe this game released 3 years AFTER WoW and EQ 2. It looks like something that should have run on Windows 3. I'm really trying not to be a jerk when rating games and judging a book by it's cover, but the graphics were so bad that I instantly lost the will to play this game. Sorry, I guess I am more superficial than I thought.

    My standards are at least EQ 2 quality graphics, they don't have to be more than that even, but they have to be at least that of games that are now 10 years old.

    Use the HD client, yes boys and girls it's a separate client and DX11.

     

    Problem solved.

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Zarkin86

    @opener

    your pc is maybe 4 years old when you bought it, but gtx 260 is from 2008. you have a really really old gpu bro

    Yes, but again, I'm comparing it to other games running on the same PC.

    Anyway, 52% HD downloaded...

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Smashix

    But I was amazed by what I saw when I installed LOTRO. I can't believe this game released 3 years AFTER WoW and EQ 2. It looks like something that should have run on Windows 3. I'm really trying not to be a jerk when rating games and judging a book by it's cover, but the graphics were so bad that I instantly lost the will to play this game. Sorry, I guess I am more superficial than I thought.

    My standards are at least EQ 2 quality graphics, they don't have to be more than that even, but they have to be at least that of games that are now 10 years old.

    Use the HD client, yes boys and girls it's a separate client and DX11.

     

    Problem solved.

    So how do I start this separate client and shouldn't the game do this automatically?

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Smashix

    If everyone here says I'm wrong, then it must be me. I'll try to re-download and install again and won't judge it until I have the high res fully downloaded.

    My PC is 4+ years old, running Windows 7 x64, 9 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260, but I'm comparing it to other games running on it. I'm running at 1920x1200 on a 27" monitor.

    Thanks for all the feedback!

    Don't download the happy cloud version, or whatever it is. Download the hi-res client from the start. I just upgraded a system that had a GTX-260 in it and the game looked as good or better than other games of its age. I have a new system now that can play the game on ultra with dx11 enabled and the game looks great.

    The character skins and faces are pretty good, but the animations themselves are pretty horrible. I think it's a limitation of the ancient engine the game runs on. It just doesn't seem capable of great character modeling for whatever reason.

    Well, I'm new to this game, so I went to the site and clicked on the "play now" or whatever link. Again, other games just figure it out for me.

  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Smashix
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Smashix

    But I was amazed by what I saw when I installed LOTRO. I can't believe this game released 3 years AFTER WoW and EQ 2. It looks like something that should have run on Windows 3. I'm really trying not to be a jerk when rating games and judging a book by it's cover, but the graphics were so bad that I instantly lost the will to play this game. Sorry, I guess I am more superficial than I thought.

    My standards are at least EQ 2 quality graphics, they don't have to be more than that even, but they have to be at least that of games that are now 10 years old.

    Use the HD client, yes boys and girls it's a separate client and DX11.

     

    Problem solved.

    So how do I start this separate client and shouldn't the game do this automatically?


    There used to be a separate high-res client but not anymore.

    Read this:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?550384-LOTRO-High-resolution-client&s=9499a88807736125b3f3a6cefb5b25da&p=7184699#post7184699

    So, I don't know if you have the graphics set to ultra or what's going on? I just recently logged into the game after being away for about 4 years and was surprised how well the game looked. It was the best looking MMO back in 2010 and the game still looks great today. May not be on par with games like FFXIV, GW2, ESO, or SWTOR but it definitely looks better than WoW, EQ2 and some of the other MMO's from its time.

  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

    Ok, I finished the HD download and ran the game, changed my resolution, made sure it was using DirectX 10 and had it auto detect the best settings. What a difference! It does look really nice now, the fire and shadows look great!

    Can I get it to use DirectX 11  and improve it even more? DxDiag tells me DirectX 11 is installed and enabled.

    I'll give the game a try now, thanks for all the help guys!

  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    LotR graphics > any thing from the same time period. IMO. Animations are low quality though.

    uhmm sorry but Age of Conan eats LOTRO graphics for breakfast

     

  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lotr graphic strength is its atmosphere and ambiance, Conan and others are devoid of character, it's not allways about pixel count.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,604
    Originally posted by Smashix

    Ok, I finished the HD download and ran the game, changed my resolution, made sure it was using DirectX 10 and had it auto detect the best settings. What a difference! It does look really nice now, the fire and shadows look great!

    Can I get it to use DirectX 11  and improve it even more? DxDiag tells me DirectX 11 is installed and enabled.

    I'll give the game a try now, thanks for all the help guys!

    Glad to hear! 

    yep, there are some options in the gfx settings for DX11.  Mostly water stuff if I recall correctly, but it does make for some pertty water!

  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Graphics matter, I think.  How much, is a matter of individual taste, but most people have a standard.  As far as LOTRO, I think the graphics aren't very good.  The hobbits are just strange looking.

    I self identify as a monkey.

Sign In or Register to comment.