Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NVIDIA vs AMD Videocards

124»

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

EDIT: oh, and a last advice... if you can, for both AMD and nVidia, do NOT buy cards with stock coolers (the AMD or nVidia ones). Except for the AMD 295x2 with the watercooling kit, of course. Because stock coolers suck donkey ass, just like stock CPU coolers are a pile of crap for both AMD and Intel CPUs. Buy a card with an aftermarket cooler optimized by the card builders. Not only you will get better cooling, but also a much more silent card, and for the daring ones, better overclocking capabilities. Factory overclocked cards for both brands are a little bonus if you can afford them, they always have a good cooler and their warranty includes the factory overclocking.

So, there is one exception, the reference cooler for the 970/980/980ti/Titan X is actually very good.  Its not as good as some of the custom cooling solutions, but its very close.  The gap is not nearly as wide as you would think.  This is excluding water cooling of course, i mean air cooling strictly.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly its very little difference. AMD can involve more working along overclocking, though given you don't mind tweaking you will find more bang for your buck. In general AMD tends to be the far more cost efficient card, while NVIDIA tends to have their latest cards being 1 small step up from AMD. Card manufacturer is where the issues happen, and both are virtually even on that end. Anyone really stating AMD having problems is just probably an NVIDIA fanboy lying about it. XD The biggest differences are pretty much when the companies act anti consumer and try putting stuff in exclusive to their cards, which NVIDIA is the king of this scum bag tactic. Usually its not bad enough to cause to much trouble and can at least have those elements usually disabled or adjusted in games.

Get whichever you want. If shopping for value (and general willingness to overclock, which isn't hard and there should be plenty of resources to use) AMD will beat NVIDIA nearly every time. If its 'the best of the best" then your likely best bet would be to go for NVIDIA if you want the 'top end' when you buy a new graphics card.  I lean AMD myself primarily just for the value and the fact NVIDIA's anti-consumer practices tend to tick me the wrong way that unless I see a good value in cash and performance with the NVIDIA card over AMD, I'll stick to AMD.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Honestly its very little difference. AMD can involve more working along overclocking, though given you don't mind tweaking you will find more bang for your buck. In general AMD tends to be the far more cost efficient card, while NVIDIA tends to have their latest cards being 1 small step up from AMD. Card manufacturer is where the issues happen, and both are virtually even on that end. Anyone really stating AMD having problems is just probably an NVIDIA fanboy lying about it. XD The biggest differences are pretty much when the companies act anti consumer and try putting stuff in exclusive to their cards, which NVIDIA is the king of this scum bag tactic. Usually its not bad enough to cause to much trouble and can at least have those elements usually disabled or adjusted in games.

Get whichever you want. If shopping for value (and general willingness to overclock, which isn't hard and there should be plenty of resources to use) AMD will beat NVIDIA nearly every time. If its 'the best of the best" then your likely best bet would be to go for NVIDIA if you want the 'top end' when you buy a new graphics card.  I lean AMD myself primarily just for the value and the fact NVIDIA's anti-consumer practices tend to tick me the wrong way that unless I see a good value in cash and performance with the NVIDIA card over AMD, I'll stick to AMD.

Im not sure i'd call it "far more",  When i was doing the research on my 7xx cards, and comparing those to the 280/290's etc.  The price/perf gap was about 10%.  So i.e. if you had 2 cards at a $200 price point, the amd was same performance for about $180 ish.

The issue i had back then was the stuff outside of price, the AMD cards were insanely loud, like a good 15db difference, and used 30-50% more power.  Now, i know people dont like to factor those things in, but when you spend an extra $20 or $30 a year on electricity, your initial cost savings become meaningless.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Neither video cards from those companies.  As the new systems do not require such things as video cards.  And offer totally synched high definition graphics without such companies.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I had a mix of nVidia and AMD cards over the years, and never had any more problems with either brands. I can confidently say that both brands are equally reliable nowadays and actually it's that way since ATI switched to the "Catalyst" driver model even before it was bought by AMD.Hardware wise, I had to RMA two cards, one nVidia 660GTX on a family PC and one AMD 4890 on my personal PC (that was a hell of a card, beating all nVidia competitors when it was released). The nVidia one was a MSI with a bad memory chip and was replaced without questions, and the AMD one was a Sapphire which I replaced with a MSI one and never had a problem again.Right now I have an ASUS R9 290x-DC2 OC 4Gb DDR5 (factory overclocked) which I bought way before nVidia released their 9xx series, and which performs similarly to a nVidia 780 but back then costed $200 less. I'm very happy with that card, zero issues, zero crashes, all my games run smooth as silk. If nVidia had already released their 980, I would most likely have bought that, but by the time I change again the next generation for both brands will have been released so I'll reevaluate the situation then.Brand wise, I'd recommend ASUS, Gigabyte or eventually MSI, and I'd advise avoiding brands like Sapphire or Powercolor. A graphic card is more than just an AMD or nVidia chip, and the other components play a big role in the reliability and performance of the card.EDIT: oh, and a last advice... if you can, for both AMD and nVidia, do NOT buy cards with stock coolers (the AMD or nVidia ones). Except for the AMD 295x2 with the watercooling kit, of course. Because stock coolers suck donkey ass, just like stock CPU coolers are a pile of crap for both AMD and Intel CPUs. Buy a card with an aftermarket cooler optimized by the card builders. Not only you will get better cooling, but also a much more silent card, and for the daring ones, better overclocking capabilities. Factory overclocked cards for both brands are a little bonus if you can afford them, they always have a good cooler and their warranty includes the factory overclocking.PS: when one poster is bashing one of the two brands (AMD or nVidia), you can be pretty much sure he's a fanboy of the other brand and his opinion can safely be ignored. Be free from brand fanaticism, don't become a fanboy, and get what provides the best performance for your budget.

I got AMD 2x 290x sinds first custom cards came around feb 2014 and it's way faster then 780 lol it's these days even faster then 780 ti plus on 4k it's close to 980.
    Xfire is worse featers with AMD so i will not buy 2 cards anymore but it seems new FURY XT will be fast enough 10% faster then Titan X for around 650 euro.
    Im not a fanboy, i just buy what works and is not OVERPRICED.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

I had a mix of nVidia and AMD cards over the years, and never had any more problems with either brands. I can confidently say that both brands are equally reliable nowadays and actually it's that way since ATI switched to the "Catalyst" driver model even before it was bought by AMD.

Hardware wise, I had to RMA two cards, one nVidia 660GTX on a family PC and one AMD 4890 on my personal PC (that was a hell of a card, beating all nVidia competitors when it was released). The nVidia one was a MSI with a bad memory chip and was replaced without questions, and the AMD one was a Sapphire which I replaced with a MSI one and never had a problem again.

Right now I have an ASUS R9 290x-DC2 OC 4Gb DDR5 (factory overclocked) which I bought way before nVidia released their 9xx series, and which performs similarly to a nVidia 780 but back then costed $200 less. I'm very happy with that card, zero issues, zero crashes, all my games run smooth as silk. If nVidia had already released their 980, I would most likely have bought that, but by the time I change again the next generation for both brands will have been released so I'll reevaluate the situation then.

i have 2 x Sapphire 290x TRIFORCE OC edition or something 4GB cards, with the 3 fan variable setup, i bought this because it monitors what parts of the card are getting hot and automatically adjusts fan speeds to suit where needs cooling, unless you force it to higher fan speeds in catalyst control center. On these cards i've had 0 issues and as a point, i was getting better performance in witcher 3 than one of my friends with a 3 month old gaming rig with GTX980 in it, might have changed now with driver updates, but as far as it goes i honestly cant see the 290x being much lower in perfomance than a GTX970 etc... in fact in real world perfomance i wouldnt  be suprised if it was close to on par with GTX980.. not the Ti

Brand wise, I'd recommend ASUS, Gigabyte or eventually MSI, and I'd advise avoiding brands like Sapphire or Powercolor. A graphic card is more than just an AMD or nVidia chip, and the other components play a big role in the reliability and performance of the card.

I personally wouldnt touch another gigabyte, OCZ or EVGA product, on all of those products across the board i've had problems with... from videocards to motherboards to ssd's each time i've gone against my own gut and bought one of those brands it's been nothing but trouble... my sapphire cards have been amazing for over a year and only one crash which was my fault, because i was testing how much i could overclock them before they became unstable out of curiosity. i would highly recommend sapphire cards except the 295x apparently the sapphire version of that card had a lot of issues...

EDIT: oh, and a last advice... if you can, for both AMD and nVidia, do NOT buy cards with stock coolers (the AMD or nVidia ones). Except for the AMD 295x2 with the watercooling kit, of course. Because stock coolers suck donkey ass, just like stock CPU coolers are a pile of crap for both AMD and Intel CPUs. Buy a card with an aftermarket cooler optimized by the card builders. Not only you will get better cooling, but also a much more silent card, and for the daring ones, better overclocking capabilities. Factory overclocked cards for both brands are a little bonus if you can afford them, they always have a good cooler and their warranty includes the factory overclocking.

PS: when one poster is bashing one of the two brands (AMD or nVidia), you can be pretty much sure he's a fanboy of the other brand and his opinion can safely be ignored. Be free from brand fanaticism, don't become a fanboy, and get what provides the best performance for your budget.

My last cards were 2 x EVGA GTX 770 Factor OC... had nothing but issues, they were 100% unoverclockable even slightly modified and they were unstable and crashed, which i expected because generally the x70 cards are x80 cards that cant be overclocked anymore. but the pair didnt even last a year, before they were constantly crashing an locking up the both basically just died, instead of RMA i just said screw it and changed over to AMD after having

2 x GTX 580 - Trash Cards

2 x GTX 680 - Great Cards

2 x GTX 770 - I actually feel if i had of got 2 x 780's i would have had a much better experience but they were super hard to get at launch and i was impatient. before that the last AMD card i used was 5890 or something like that and i hated it i literally said before the 480 i bought 2 weeks after the 5xxx AMD card i bought i would never touch an AMD card again, but then when i was looking at replacing my 770's a friend told me about how amazing the R9 280x they bought was and to give it a chance... now i'm hanging for the Fury cards... planning a whole new custom rig when they release. i dont think  i see myself going back to nvidia anytime soon..

but thats being said, i've had amazing and trash cards from both vendors and i agree that people who just slander the oposing brand are generally fanboi's who probably never even used the other brand card before.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    not a fan of AMD so I buy Nvidia, but I think the biggest areas of concern are with the actual manufacturers of the cards rather than the chipset manufacturers.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.