Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got in Beta - But to play it I had to pay $60

PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

I signed up and the next day was told "Congratulations, I had won an invite to the beta".  Great!  I downloaded the game, installed it and went to play and it told me I had to pay $60 to buy a ship.  That $60 was only to buy a ship in the beta, nothing else.  I proceeded to uninstall and never looked at this game again.  That was a few months ago.  The only reason I am posting here is because someone came to my stream chat and touted how fantastic this game was.

The issue is not the money.  The issue is how the F' the company tells people they got into the beta then states the player must pay $60 to proceed to play the game in the beta.  In one of the articles here it states that the company got $55 million dollars and is in the guiness book of world records for the most money crowd funded for a video game.  Well I think the entire process is full of sh** with this game.

If anyone is interested in further details I'd gladly provide them and answer any questions about the experience I've had in attempting to play the Beta of Star Citizen but was told I had to pay $60 just for one ship during the beta.  Nothing was said about any other charges for anything else in the game nor for anything in release.  But I will be staying far from this game because if this is the way the company does business, I won't be a part of it.

Like I stated earlier, normally I don't come here to post about a bad experience I've had with games.  But because someone recently came to my stream chat and told my viewers how great this game was, I feel it's important to let the public know what my experience with this company was.

Comments

• rhan101277rhan101277 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    You just didn't read all of the information.  The game is not even in beta.  You are paying to support further development.  I don't suspect the game will even been in beta until next year.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

beta? they are not even in pre-alpha, and to join the development phase of SC you are required to purchase a starter pack, for 40$.

From all I can tell the game will be p2p, and all other ships can be earned ingame.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

>>> If anyone is interested in further details I'd gladly provide them >>>

Yes, please post more details, especially the wording of the mail you got from CIG.

It sounds like you got one of those "Play Arena Commander for free for a week" codes that CIG offered to people attending a gaming conference a few months ago. The codes were posted to the public on the same day. But Arena Commander is just one of several modules of the game, which is still in non feature complete (pre-) Alpha.

To my knowledge there are no official Beta invites from CIG - because there is no Beta available yet. And won't be for another year or so. Its strange that you got an official Beta invite and then where asked to pay money for it.

Beta Access is part of some pledge packages .... Star Citizen being a crowdfunding project, those pledge packages make the development of the game possible in the first place. Pledge packages with Beta Access start at 54  $ and where available for as low as 25 $ in the past. As far as I know there are no pledge packages that cost 60 $.

Have fun

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

"i signed up" is good.

what did you sign up for? there isn't even a beta button on the SC page ^^

Originally posted on robertsspaceindustries.com

Get the Star Citizen Installer Now!

Welcome to your first step into the Star Citizen universe! The Star Citizen Installer is your entry point into all the released modules, which we'll be constantly expanding as we move toward the completed game.

In order to enjoy Star Citizen to the fullest, you'll need a Game Package, a suitable ship, and access to all the modules. Please check the detailed requirements below.

i think that is basically saying it all ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

I got alpha invite from them,awesome alpha invite indeed.

Arena Commander Multiplayer Pre-Alpha Test Invite <-mail

Greetings Citizen!

Welcome to the Arena Commander Multiplayer Alpha test. Arena Commander Multiplayer is in the very first stages of development..............and bla bla ,cool ,i was invited!

but then i was not,i was invited to buy something.

**IMPORTANT**
    Please note that a game package is required to play Arena Commander
    A game package includes a copy of the game as well as a ship
    Game packages can be purchased from the pledge store on the RSI website:

Alpha invite in my arse.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

Originally posted by PAL-18

**IMPORTANT**

Alpha invite in my arse.

Well, Star Citizen IS a crowd-funded project. It is in the nature of that project that they ask you for money to develop the game (which includes Alpha and Beta testing).

You can always wait until the game is finished and check it out when its ready and tested.

Have fun

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by PAL-18

**IMPORTANT**

Alpha invite in my arse.

Well, Star Citizen IS a crowd-funded project. It is in the nature of that project that they ask you for money to develop the game (which includes Alpha and Beta testing).

You can always wait until the game is finished and check it out when its ready and tested.

Have fun

Yes i can wait but it seems that RSI  can not.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Can I have your Hanger ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

So basically "Welcome to the <insert word> test of the game...Thank you for wanting to take time out of your live to help us make this game better. As a thank you for doing this job (which reduces our costs even more by not having to have as many testers) you have to actually give US money, for the chance for us to exploit you to find the bugs in our game, so we don't have to pay the 'real' testers a real wage to do the same thing."

Yes yes I know, crowd funded....But if I get invited/chosen/whatever into an Alpha/Beta/Pre-A/B/whatever test THEN get told "Well you have to buy the game to test it" they would be a very polite STFU letter, as well as posts everywhere I can to "Avoid X like it was Gonaherpasifulaids"

Originally posted by Milander

So basically "Welcome to the test of the game...Thank you for wanting to take time out of your live to help us make this game better. As a thank you for doing this job (which reduces our costs even more by not having to have as many testers) you have to actually give US money, for the chance for us to exploit you to find the bugs in our game, so we don't have to pay the 'real' testers a real wage to do the same thing."

Yes yes I know, crowd funded....But if I get invited/chosen/whatever into an Alpha/Beta/Pre-A/B/whatever test THEN get told "Well you have to buy the game to test it" they would be a very polite STFU letter, as well as posts everywhere I can to "Avoid X like it was Gonaherpasifulaids"

With hundreds of games in "Early Access"  (e.g. on Steam) that want your money  you would be doing nothing else but writing those STFU letters and posting those "Avoid X" messages.

Have fun

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

"You have been invited to hand over your money."

OP don't bother complaining, the fanboys have long lost any sense of reason and consider this completely normal.

Harbinger of Fools
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

it has been stated many times over that the price for the ships do not reflect the ingame value, the ships prices are tied to the funding value. 

i don't wanna be a fanboi, but if thats how you call it then ok, im just trying to relay how i have understood the information provided. if im reading it wrong please correct me.

if you have issues with the crowdfunding model of gamedevelopment then i also understand why sc is such a great target, considering how much money they have collected compared to most crowdfunded games.

for the record, i dont think sc will be in beta before 2017,  my guess is 2018 we will have a solid openspace PU beta running with all the things promised at kickstarter launch.

*edit* ps. i'v paid a total of 225$ and i did that at the kickstarter phase. At the time i paid that i had enough money and thought the idea of a space sim was worth my money, i paid for a idea, knowing full well the game might never make it to launch. looking at the project now, im much more assured that there acctually will be a game at the end of this. much more so now then i was when i paid.... whatever. peace.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Dakeru

OP don't bother complaining, the fanboys have long lost any sense of reason and consider this completely normal.

Can't blame RSI tbh. People just keep on throwing money at them. RSI has years of revenue earned with the game already before it launches.

Even if it fails miserably on day #1 after Release, the owner can just pull the plug on day #2, give the finger and retire.

Actually, he could do that now even well before Release Day.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yep, and the haters are just gonna do that, hate.

seriously, what happened to "if you can't say anything good, dont say anything at all"?

you kids nowadays seriously need to work on your attitude ^^

so let's recap this, it IS okai to flame but it is NOT okai to like something?

yep, seems legit, see above :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Corvusco

What i honestly don't understand it people buy 200-300$ spaceships and then they say....yes it can also be acquired in game by playing.

If you pay 200$ for a ship for how long do i have to play the freaking game to also get that ship? I don't think they will let you have it in 2-3days because then it would not make sense to buy them anymore because of the value.

Probably 6 months of grinding 

I have asked myself the same question because it is going to be incredibly difficult to "balance" this issue.

I wonder if the vocal supporters that invested more than $200 will still be whistling the same tune once they find out that their $200+ ship can obtained in game within a couple of hours.

If they make them too hard to obtain for casual players then they will get a lot of backlash from the vocal anti pay2win player base and most likely lose a lot of potential customers.

I don't want to be in their shoes to be honest, this is shaping up to be a PR nightmare not matter what they do.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

u tho that u were going to play star citizen beta for free?

.....really?

there are ppl out there that have paid thousand of $ .....

hahahaha this thread made my day....my sides hurt

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Thane

yep, and the haters are just gonna do that, hate.

seriously, what happened to "if you can't say anything good, dont say anything at all"?

you kids nowadays seriously need to work on your attitude ^^

so let's recap this, it IS okai to flame but it is NOT okai to like something?

yep, seems legit, see above :)

Lol ok I will bite.

OP says he was invited and instantly they asked him to hand over money.

What exactly is it that you liked about what he said?

Harbinger of Fools
  • TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

The strange thing is there is no beta yet. Game is still in Alpha at most.

In the download page it says it's required a "pledge" (Pack with the game, ship, hangar...) for start testing.

For now you can just "test" some modules. Right now Hangar and Arena Commander (Ships Arena). "Soon" will come Space Marine (FPS).

Sometimes they give codes for test ships for a week, even if you don't have a pledge. It's like a demo in the end.

Game is developed with crowfounded resources, a.k.a. they don't have a publisher. They "sell the game and some assets" in advance for get the money.Yep, they already have lot of money, but I haven't listened of any company that stop sells copy of games for "getting enough money".

Starter pledges are at $45 (Guess EU it's a bit more because VAT). They were even at $25 (All of this include the final game when it launch)

In the end, not sure about the message you receive. If it was a message after you signed up it could be a "summary of the week" when there was a new ship sale.

Or you just tried to use a "week code" when the time was over (It works just on specific date, both for promotion and for stress servers).

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Muke

Can't blame RSI tbh. People just keep on throwing money at them. RSI has years of revenue earned with the game already before it launches.

Even if it fails miserably on day #1 after Release, the owner can just pull the plug on day #2, give the finger and retire.

Actually, he could do that now even well before Release Day.

Problem with that is he is too busy spending the money to do so.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    don't be surprised this game is focused on cash grab  ,gameplay is secondary ,just same as almost every crowfounding crap
  • neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21

Want to play it for free? - http://www.silvergames.com/space-flash-arena

This is exactly what SC is like. Point and click casual mouse game. It's like CoD in space.

• Stormfire962Stormfire962 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Prepared

I signed up and the next day was told "Congratulations, I had won an invite to the beta".  Great!  I downloaded the game, installed it and went to play and it told me I had to pay $60 to buy a ship.  That $60 was only to buy a ship in the beta, nothing else.  I proceeded to uninstall and never looked at this game again.  That was a few months ago.  The only reason I am posting here is because someone came to my stream chat and touted how fantastic this game was.

The issue is not the money.  The issue is how the F' the company tells people they got into the beta then states the player must pay $60 to proceed to play the game in the beta.  In one of the articles here it states that the company got $55 million dollars and is in the guiness book of world records for the most money crowd funded for a video game.  Well I think the entire process is full of sh** with this game.

If anyone is interested in further details I'd gladly provide them and answer any questions about the experience I've had in attempting to play the Beta of Star Citizen but was told I had to pay $60 just for one ship during the beta.  Nothing was said about any other charges for anything else in the game nor for anything in release.  But I will be staying far from this game because if this is the way the company does business, I won't be a part of it.

Like I stated earlier, normally I don't come here to post about a bad experience I've had with games.  But because someone recently came to my stream chat and told my viewers how great this game was, I feel it's important to let the public know what my experience with this company wasdude,

Dude, I am both sorry and concerned for what happen to you.  But as a backer with Star Citizen I can tell you that we are still very much in Alpha testing and Beta date has not been set nor announced yet.  Either you were misinformed or scammed by someone.  Can you please provide details where you signed up and who was running it so I can inform CIG of the trouble.

Originally posted by neveser

Want to play it for free? - http://www.silvergames.com/space-flash-arena

This is exactly what SC is like. Point and click casual mouse game. It's like CoD in space.

Yes, Space Flash is a 3D space flight game. It has some basic similarities with Arena Commander or Elite Dangerous, with graphics simpler than the original Wing Commander. 

It is about as close to the complexity of the Star Citizen Persistent Universe as Galaga or Space Invaders. 

Have fun 

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

i am waiting for the release,they have gotten millions of dollars,i want to see what they created with it.

remember you get the game for free but you buy a ship i think,but then you have to subscribe every month to pay

for your insurance of your ship!

if the game is not worth the money i will not buy.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    how we pay for games today is way out of control, star is no exception, someone figured out the best business model is to sell hype and nostalgia and so somehow hype and nostalgia games have money to pay for advertising on websites that typically covered real games. Star Citizen does not come from humble beginnings anymore, it won't live up to the hype.