Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest RPG series of all time

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

There has been a lot of talk recently about the greatest RPG game or mmo of all time, but what about the greatest series of all time and there have been some terrific ones, my favorites are in order:

1. The Witcher series Enhanced:   (cmon you did not think I was going to say "The Risen" series did you). Enhanced is the key here as they made some big improvements especially to combat (although combat rebalancing mod is a huge help in witcher 1)   The Witcher series combines great story with very good characters, good combat and very few of those dreaded fed ex quests, the series just keeps getting better and better.

2. Mass Effect series:  Talk about your great characters!  Funny, Witty, charming, nutty, intense. Loved the story and to me the combat was right up my ally. Yes there was the unfortunate ending in 3 but the rest of 3 was fantastic

3. Dragon Age-what the hell I almost forgot about Dragon age LOL-took BG2 and brought it into the modern age with great characters, great story and good combat, DA 2 and DA inquis brought down legacy by a bit

3a. Kotar series:  Great characters, great story, out dated but still very fun combat, you can even throw SWG and TOR in here for the fun of it.  The main thing is this is STAR WARS=nuff said

4. The Elder Scrolls series:  Greatest open world of all time, good characters, fair to good story and combat and that is what brings this down a bit-Mod Heaven.

5. Divinity series:  If you have never played Divine Divinity or Divinity 2 developers cut what are you waiting for! Challenging, old world, turn into a dragon (well in div 2 anyway) , very good story, good combat and classis rpg

6. Baldurs gate series:  Gate 1 was never my fav but Gate 2 was such a great party with Boo and company, story , characters, challenge, quests that really mean something

7. Fallout series: This series really depends on mods to improve it but that is ok. Fallout 1 suffers in comparison to BG 1 but is still good, 3 and New vegas really present an interesting world great to explore in

8. The Walking Dead series by tell tail:  What a great rpg, You really felt for these characters, they were not your typical npc's but felt like real characters and perhaps that is the highest compliment we can give an rpg

So these are my favorites, oh yea I know I am leaving some great ones out including NWN series, Gothic, Risen, Drakensang, Batman (yes it could be classified as an rpg LOL), ID, etc and although these games are good they just did not grab me

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Dragon Age for me. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Final Fantasy would prolly be #1. Then maybe Dragon Age, followed by Mass Effect.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Final Fantasy would prolly be #1. Then maybe Dragon Age, followed by Mass Effect.
    Loved FFX could not get into the rest

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Mass effect rpg lol wtf?

Greatest of all time can only be one thats choosed by all gamers as best plus press together.

Soon mine probably is The Witcher 3 awesome RPG!

Everything else is personal greatest 1 person which say nothing taste you can't argue about next one will say your best is my worsed.

Also defenition of whats RPG has change over years which i don't agree with.

Some call game RPG if you can change some specs in character lol which in my humble opinion is still not a true RPG.
    Neverwinter nights
    Morrowind
    Baldurs gate
    Planescape torment
    Ice Wind dale
    Drakensang
    Divinity
    to name a few are RPG'S

Massive effect is just action game with some rpg elements.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Classicstar

Mass effect rpg lol wtf?

Greatest of all time can only be one thats choosed by all gamers as best plus press together.

Everything else is personal greatest 1 person which say nothing taste you can't argue about next one will say your best is my worsed.

Some call game RPG if you can change some specs in character lol which in my humble opinion is still not a true RPG.
    Neverwinter nights
    Morrowind
    Baldurs gate
    Planescape torment
    Ice Wind dale
    Drakensang
    Divinity
    to name a few are RPG'S

there are people who will say Morrowind is not really a true rpg they call it an open world simulator, it is all opinion

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I don't know about greatest, but I can list my favorites.

Final Fantasy always suckers me in, some are mediocre at best, but 6, 7 and 9 shine as great games to me.

I liked DA1, hated DA2, haven't tried DAI yet.

Never could get into Mass Effect - played through 1 and couldn't get through 2.

If we aren't excluding MMORPGs from this, WoW, FFXIV and EQ series all have wonderfully done lore (the actual game aside). It takes a bit of digging to get into it in EQ, the other titles are better at putting it out in front of you and making it a part of the game. But that effort you have to put into it in EQ makes it all the more richer when you finally do connect the dots.

Bravely Default was good. I bought a 3DS just for this game, and it was worth every penny.

I liked Morrowwind. I haven't taken the time to get into Oblivion or Skyrim - I know, horrible of me.

I picked up Witcher 1/2 on steam sales recently, I plan to give them a shot before jumping on the W3 hype train.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I vote for Final Fantasy. 
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279

I'm surprised Final Fantasy isn't on your list. This seems mainly like PC RPGs (with the exception of a couple) but there are many more series that could be included:

• Fallout
    • Souls
    • Chrono Cross/Trigger
    • Dragon Quest
    • Mother
    • Fire Emblem
    • Golden Sun
    • Kingdom Hearts
    • Mario & Luigi
    • Phantasy Star
    • Shadowrun
    • Shin Megami Tensei
    • Persona
    • Suikoden
    • Ultima
    • Wild Arms
    • Ys
    ...to name a few.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53
    My unpopular opinion on this subject has always been Gothic series, all 3 games (i dont count Arcadia in this series). The world, story, prgression and overall feel of this series just trumph it for me :D
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

The fact that Final Fantasy is not on the top list makes it hard to take this seriously.  While I didn't play all the more recent ones, I consider FF7 to be the best RPG I've ever played.  No other rpg invoked such emotion when the characters were harmed or succeded.  No other game did I so vehemently hate the antagonist.

I've really enjoyed several of the other titles on the list, but I wouldn't even consider them close to as engaging as some of the FF titles.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Mass effect rpg lol wtf?

Neverwinter nights
    Morrowind
    Baldurs gate
    Planescape torment
    Ice Wind dale
    Drakensang
    Divinity
    to name a few are RPG'S

there are people who will say Morrowind is not really a true rpg they call it an open world simulator, it is all opinion

RPG means role-playing game. To pretend to be someone or something else while playing a game. In Mass Effect you take on the role of someone else. Its an RPG and as RPG as it gets. For me, Elder Scrolls and Zelda warms my heart most when I think of my young RPG days. Mind you, I have way out grown Zelda =-) 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

This topic is very subjective.

My personal all time favorite RPG series are Japanese RPGs. To me personally no western RPG comes even close to many classic JRPGs like the early final fantasy stuff, the Mana series, Suikoden series (my #1 JRPG for life), the Tales of series and Shin Megami Tensei.

I think Western and Eastern RPGs are different enough not to compare them but when it comes to the RPG core elements i will always find JRPGs (not all, obviously) superior.

I think my favorite Western RPG is The Elder Scrolls series, but i strongly believe that having a sandbox-ish world and somewhat realistic art style in an RPG does NOT automatically make it the better game.

Again, this topic is highly based on personal opinions. This is mine.

• FujieFujie Member UncommonPosts: 13
    For me, Final Fantasy by a large margin.
  • shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

If I had to pick only 3

Ultima 7

Baldurs Gate 2

Ice Wind Dale 2

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Might and Magic, including the Heroes series, my all time favorites.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

My top 4 would be:

1. Baldur's Gate - Just with the newly released Enhanced Editions I have put a crazy amount of hours into them. I can't imagine what it would be if it tallied all the hours I spent as a teen with it as well. While the story is great it's the sheer amount of character options that keeps me playing. Not to mention the world and resources put into D&D. I can pull up entire histories for monsters in this game. I love it. This game allowed me to experience Dungeons & Dragons, which I wouldn't have done otherwise. 

2. Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VII, I know it's a cliche, really cemented my love for RPG storytelling. The amount of emotion I felt losing Aerith was intense. The possibility that not everyone gets to live and receive a happy ending was still new to me and few moments have shocked me as much since. While I think they have lost their way with the last few releases I am still holding out hope that it will turn back around.

3. Legend of Zelda - I spent a ton of time at a friends house playing these. Ocarina of Time, especially, had some really great puzzles and it was fun bouncing ideas off of other people. We refused to look at any spoilers or cheats and it felt great finally figuring them out. My nerdiness didn't transfer over to my friends but this game bridged the gap and it was a great experience.

4. Neverwinter Nights - I loved both of these games immensely. Neverwinter Nights 2 still runs awful, and extremely hot on my video card, but I love it, warts and all. They don't hold up graphically as well as the Baldur's Gate series but at the time they were really impressive. The modding scene on the original was pretty insane. There are some amazing stories out there and I would really love for the original to receive the Blizzard treatment. Polish it up, make it shine, make it easier to use, and add a lot more options and I think the persistent worlds could easily overtake World of Warcraft numbers.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Even though Final Fantasy has dragged it's own name through the mud over the years I still have to give this award to them.
    Yes this is mostly a PC rpg greatest hits.  Although I enjoyed playing FF 10 on my old PS 2 I also have FF 7 on steam and its graphics and controls make it really hard to play
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

Greatest RPG series of all time I would have to give to Final Fantasy by a fairly large margin.

But not due to their more recent games which have damaged the brand quite alot. The games pre-ff13 were all good, obviously some more then others. FFXIII series and FFXIV 1.0 sorta gave the brand a major black eye. I think a lot of ppl still consider FFVII and FFVI to be the best rpgs ever made to this date.  The SNES/PS1/PS2 generation FF was the king of rpgs.

I question if Square can capture the magic they once had with the series. It seems all but lost in the current generation of games. The new developers they have just cannot recreate the magic like the original creators of the series could. I am hoping FFXV will bring final fantasy back to where it should be and not just a pretty tech demo with an extremely limited world and convoluted story.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Final Fantasy series for me. Also really enjoyed Phantasy Star and Grandia franchises.

Some of my all time favorite RPGs are one off titles. No series. So it makes this choice difficult.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I have to go with Fallout and less because of 3 and New Vegas and more because of 1 and 2.  

I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings though, so my bias is huge :P

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    For me it's essentially the D&D games, BG, IWD, NWN1-2, etc...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    For me, it would be the Wizardry series and the Ultima series. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You can't really pick a single title and call it the best ever- if had to be bigger than that IMO, something that spans titles/generations and medium.

I would go for D&D is no 1 (how can it not be)
    Then perhaps final fantasy
    Then elder scrolls

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Lands of Lore

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe