Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions before getting into ESO

growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28

Hi everyone!

I don't play mmorpgs too much now but from time to time the good ol' addiction comes up and looks like it's about to kick in, so i'm wondering what's good to play atm.

I'm usually interested in pvp only but lately i've been enjoying some well done pve that requires some coordination and tactis (even though i'm more interested in the gameplay and combat mechanics). The last game i was playing was GW2 in which i put a fair amount of hours, doing wvw roaming only with a friend, and i have to say i did have good fun but also the thought of getting back to gw2 gives me a real pain in the neck, as the pve is atrocious and the rvr senseless and there besides the very fluid and dynamic gameplay and the nice indipendency of each class with some self-heal i kind of hate that game.

So i'm looking for something that is enjoyable that is not too much time consuming, that has a fun and interesting combat systemand a good amount of open world pvp, with some well-structured pve as a plus

For what i've seen eso seems good for me, but i have a couple of doubts/questions you might help me with:

- How's the combat system/gameplay? For what i've seen i'm afraid it's too much repetitive, with only a really few skills to use it seems like there's not much variation in what you can do. Also how are the classes customizable? Do you have like every assassin have the same skills as every other so people having almost always the same things they can do in combat? How much variation is there?

And do chars have some form of sustain / self healing or is there a dedicated healer and how does that work in 1-2ppl  roaming and in bigger fights?

Do the different classes have always a precise role or can everyone do a bit of everything? (ie is it possible to go hunting players with a wizard or will it be just food for the stealth assassins and does he works better nuking from well behind some heavy armored teammates)

- Does it take a long time to level up and is the leveling enjoyable? I usually just try to run to the level cap and get competitive gear as what i'm more interested in is pvp and that usually gets good when you have your character "finished"

-Is the pvp/rvr well designed? I was mindblown at how bad the gw2 rvr was designed, with only zergs running around the map almost mindlessly to cap points that had absolutely no meaning exept for the score they gave

Also is it gear heavy? Do i have to farm countless hours to get some good gear

Is it worth the 50 bucks?

Sorry i know i lack some basic knowledge of the game that i could (and i will) get through reading other posts, but i already have read some and i think it will be much easier for me to undersand if i'll like the game with asking to your direct experience the things i'm more focused on

Thanks for your guidance

Cheers,

Mev

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by growill

Hi everyone!

So i'm looking for something that is enjoyable that is not too much time consuming, that has a fun and interesting combat systemand a good amount of open world pvp, with some well-structured pve as a plus

ESO has good rvr and good pve

For what i've seen eso seems good for me, but i have a couple of doubts/questions you might help me with:

- How's the combat system/gameplay? For what i've seen i'm afraid it's too much repetitive, with only a really few skills to use it seems like there's not much variation in what you can do.

Basically you have 12 skills  attached to two skill bars (5 skills+1 ultimate each) that swap when you weapon swap. There are four weapon types and two staff types. Each has 5 skills attached to it. You also have class specific skills 15 of these with three ultimates to choose from. There are three armor types with passives to unlock (not on skill bar) and each has a special skill that can be put on the skill bar. There are also various other skill lines to draw from- such as vampire, werewolf, fighters guild, pvp, etc. In short, there is deep scope for customization, but you are always limited to 12 skills (can swap freely to unlocked skills when out of combat).

Also how are the classes customizable? Do you have like every assassin have the same skills as every other so people having almost always the same things they can do in combat? How much variation is there?

See above

And do chars have some form of sustain / self healing or is there a dedicated healer and how does that work in 1-2ppl  roaming and in bigger fights?

All classes have some form of self heal. Any class can use a restoration staff which has some healing abilities. The templar class has strong heal abilities. The dragon knight can also heal, but only itself (pretty strong heal though). 

Roaming with 2 or 3 players is a lot of fun, you can provide strong support while also doing a lot of damage on any class if you pick the right skills.

Do the different classes have always a precise role or can everyone do a bit of everything? (ie is it possible to go hunting players with a wizard or will it be just food for the stealth assassins and does he works better nuking from well behind some heavy armored teammates)

Everyone can basically choose skills that suit the role they want to play. Sorcerers are a little soft due to lack of escapes/heals at the start but get some of the strongest escape and shield spells later on. You could tank, dps, or support on any class just by choosing the right set up, but I would say Dragon knights have some class specific abilities really suited to tanking and templars for healing. 

- Does it take a long time to level up and is the leveling enjoyable? I usually just try to run to the level cap and get competitive gear as what i'm more interested in is pvp and that usually gets good when you have your character "finished"

It takes a long time to get to the max level, but there is a pvp campaign were stats and gear are normalized (much moreso than in GW2) so you can have a lot of fun from level 10-49 in pvp

-Is the pvp/rvr well designed? I was mindblown at how bad the gw2 rvr was designed, with only zergs running around the map almost mindlessly to cap points that had absolutely no meaning exept for the score they gave

I think its good.

Also is it gear heavy? Do i have to farm countless hours to get some good gear

Not gear heavy at all in the 10-49 campaign- you can wear level 1 armor. In the 50+ campaign you need good gear.

Is it worth the 50 bucks?

Yes

Sorry i know i lack some basic knowledge of the game that i could (and i will) get through reading other posts, but i already have read some and i think it will be much easier for me to undersand if i'll like the game with asking to your direct experience the things i'm more focused on

Thanks for your guidance

Cheers,

Mev

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The combat and character building system is one of the best I've ever played. Lot's of viable diverse builds but, of course, there are some that will swear there is only one optimal build... min/maxers live here too.

Leveling to the current top level, Veteran Rank 14 is a very lengthy process and even that isn't the top since there are 3600 Champion points (that give you various passive bonuses and some active procs) to get also on top of that.... I doubt anyone has more than 4-500 of those... probably less.

But like Yashax said, the PVP campaigns for levels 10-50 are very active and a lot of fun. There's really no need to rush to max level to have fun in PVP. Although I have to say level 10 is overly optimistic. They do get leveled to the same stats as everyone else in the non-vet campaign but they haven't even unlocked weapon swapping at that point so they're limited to 6 skills and they're missing most of the best skills that don't get unlocked until much later... level 20 is a more realistic level to start holding your own in PVP.

There is a certain amount of gear grinding for some dropped set items (the crafting and drops are all about set bonuses for having 2 - 5 of a specific set) but nothing like in WOW and other raid progression MMOs.

The AVA is very well done. Cyrodiil is huge. it's better than GW2's in my opinion (I also play GW2.) One of the unique features is that everyone can stealth although some much better than others especially if you want to actually move while stealthed.

Siege weapons are very cheap and set-up very quickly. They get used a lot. There is zero door bashing with weapons or spells.

I think it's the best current MMO... especially for large scale, persistent PVP.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED