Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, Older Gamers Can Rejoice!!!! Everquest Fans Going To Love This One :)

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

Source: http://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1614/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen-g

Showing off the game engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzMyvtuC6Y

Watch the chat box, skill progression mirrors EQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSFuHBRdNU

Buckle up Kiddies!!! You're going to see how rewarding a difficult and slow progression MMORPG can be :)

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Game Features and Summary

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

-- -- -- Game Features -- -- --

- A classic take on epic MMO adventure.

- Enjoy a Lore-rich and deeply complex world where environmental storytelling is central.

- An MMO developed by gamers who aren't afraid to target an audience of like-minded gamers.

- A focus on exploration, adventure, and combat.

- Finally, an MMORPG for players wanting a challenging and rewarding experience. No risk, no reward.

- Explore the world of Terminus as you see fit, on the beaten path or far off of it – just don’t say we didn't warn you!

- Harness the powers of ancient heroes, insidious enemies and even the Celestials to augment your own knowledge and abilities.

- Play classes that have meaningful and defined roles such as Tank, Healer, DPS or Utility (crowd and encounter control). Class identity and group interdependability is key!

- Choose from a variety of races to play, delve into their epic back-stories and learn of the Celestials who may have been brought to Terminus with them.

- Group-focused, intensely social game play using a class based system to encourage teamwork.

- A heavy focus on meaningful character progression that prioritizes the advancement of player power and prestige.

- Questing that’s optional, not the primary means of character advancement.

- Quests that are meaningful, challenging, and rewarding.

- Engage in combat that will test you and your party, requiring strategy and preparation. (Read more about Pantheon's combat here)

- Train and use a wide variety of skills as part of your character’s growth as you level up.

- Limited and class based teleportation may get you close, but in order to reach many destinations you will have to traverse the realm-scarred lands of Terminus through the use of your own two feet, on the back of your mighty steed or even across the seas themselves.

- Quickly equip situational gear as you move from one climate to the next.

- An economy that is largely player driven.

- Visible loot. If you see an NPC wielding a weapon, you should be able to loot it off of their fallen body.

- Most items that are looted from NPCs will be tradeable.

-

- Dual targeting. Attack your target while healing your allies.

- Terminus is a world where instancing is the exception not the rule.

- Respect your surroundings, succumbing to death has its consequences.

- Some spells can be modified to hit one or multiple targets, and you can decide on the fly.

- Terminus is a world where Factions and Alignments matter. Ogres don’t belong in an Elven city (and so as not to offend the Ogre Rights Association, Elves don’t belong in an Ogre city either.)

- Horizontal character growth, with fewer levels and more meaningful gains per level.

- Community feedback helps drive decisions made. We want to hear your voice.

- The game will run on PC, Mac, and possibly other platforms in the future.

-- -- -- What is Pantheon? -- -- --

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen takes place on Terminus, a high fantasy world of powerful deities, valiant heroes, insidious enemies and fantastic creatures.

What makes Pantheon unique is that in addition to traditional fantasy races and classes, the world of Terminus has been formed from the "shipwrecked" fragments of many different realms and worlds, bringing their unique civilizations and Celestial deities with them. It is into the current age of this wonderful and mysterious world that players will step foot for the first time. Realms long lost, explored anew.  Peoples and cultures striving to gain a foothold in this unfamiliar world, forming alliances and vying for power. Uncovered civilizations and awe-inspiring locales that offer new and incredible adventures for you and your friends to experience. Enter a world where the environment itself tells the story and where content is always king!

-- -- -- Game Summary -- -- --

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is an MMORPG based on challenging gameplay and open world high fantasy, with a strong focus on group-oriented content. It takes place in a world called Terminus, populated by a vast variety of deities, locations, creatures and heroes. Mortal and planar realms have collided, creating the dramatic and epic environment of Terminus. With some of those realms came entire races and cultures, with Celestial deities that, over time, raised empires and forged a turbulent political landscape. Centuries later, this phenomena has continued to occur and the world of Terminus continues to grow in size and in depth.

The player is a legendary Hero, stripped of his or her home world, along with their powerful relics and prestige, and left to explore the distinct and epic regions of Terminus, guided by the hope of reclaiming their power and forging their place in this burgeoning new world.

Pantheon’s combat places a focus on preparation and awareness that will provide players with challenging scenarios that require not only understanding, but skill to overcome their opposition. The player can actively dodge, block, or deflect attacks – but this goes beyond active reactions to encounter mechanics. Spell and ability pre-selection is also critical to success, as are the alliances you will forge with other players.

You won't want to be caught in the wilds of Terminus alone, but the brave souls that explore the vast and divergent landscapes will discover a truly rich and rewarding experience. Through exploration the player can uncover ancient mysteries, hidden artifacts, unique adventures and ultimately rare and exotic spells and abilities. Because Pantheon values the paradigm of great risk vs. great reward, the player will always be encouraged to push themselves out the door and embrace adventure, danger and the community of players alongside them. Imagine an expansive, detailed and Lore-rich world where the environment itself tells much of the story, the content is challenging, meaningful character progression is upheld and group-oriented game play is paramount - welcome to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Er, you've been living under a rock?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

No, just super excited for a EQ'ish MMO to hit the streets with todays graphics. It's way over due.

This was in general but its cool, it'll work here too :)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Not sure if the video is about the gameplay or the chat box.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Won't pledge, but will give this one and only one chance when released. If it is an unfinished mess, I'm out. And no I will not wait for the SS Potential to set sail.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gyva02
    Buckle up Kiddies!!! You're going to see how rewarding a difficult and slow progression MMORPG can be :)

They wont and they will leave.

What you will get is a population less than eq1 current.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Oh wise modern gamer, provide us with the riches of  your themepark wisdom.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

The failure of vanguard was because it ran out of money and had to release when it wasnt ready.

Convince me that isnt going to happen here.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

wasn't pantheon the game were the CEO left with the kickstarter money? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I'm pretty sure someone will kill that guy if he doesn't deliver this time. It will be all about a couple guys picking him up to go get some cannoli. If this game does deliver, I know quite a few people who will play just on principle.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Is this game still going to happen, was under the impression it was 'abandonware' image
  • tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

Old gamers changed in time.

Brad must adapt his game because another eq wont succes.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Thane

I think he went on a holiday and people did not like that.

Originally posted by tarodin

Old gamers changed in time.

Brad must adapt his game because another eq wont succes.

The underlying concepts are the same.  There will be risk involved in reward.  Progression will be based primarily on group play.  Combat will be managing resources rather than being able to spam attacks.  

Melees obviously won't have 3 abilities, and they have some ideas that have never been used in mmorpgs before to spice things up.  I expect we will see quite a few new things built on a similar foundation as EQ.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Wayyyyyy to early to make guesses.  But it's nice to know there is hope.

If the game is true to mmorpgs, it will bring back mmos because developers will see that they were going away from the better path.  If it turns out to be just another money grab liner game that's half made and half broken, all other developers will learn nothing !!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Gyva02

Buckle up Kiddies!!!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, is that you?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

One of the most enjoyable aspects of this game is going to be reading the forums here after it launches, hearing the cry's of players who cant solo everything and have to manage 20 abilities.  Two things I'm very fond of, grouping and ludicrous amounts of abilities. 

Also there has been such a shift to action combat, people will be freaking out over how slow combat will seem with a more tactical reaction based system.  "Dodging" the mob isn't my idea of reactionary combat, its matching a player or NPC skill for skill, your stunned you react, your slowed you react, their vulnerable you react, etc. etc, not dodging and DPSing until someone dies.

• lukezlukez Member UncommonPosts: 27

their website always makes me worry.... even the old EQ website looked better

in theory the game sounds great... but kickstarter and a lot of  in my opinion horrible mmorpgs in the last couple of years have made me skeptical

Originally posted by lukez

their website always makes me worry.... even the old EQ website looked better

in theory the game sounds great... but kickstarter and a lot of  in my opinion horrible mmorpgs in the last couple of years have made me skeptical

Ya, its looks like a bit of a placeholder.  They mentioned a month ago that a new site was being created, so hopefully that will be up soon.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Music was AWESOME in vanguard... my god... i think this will be my last try in the genre...
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Well Pillars of Eternity was highly successful and pretty much saved Obsidian even though it was worse then 15yr old Baldur's Gate. If Pantheon can even do a passable job at recreating the Everquest experience they just might make it.
  • nesteanestea Member UncommonPosts: 30

I was more into Asheron's Call myself, but EverQuest had its moments.

As far as this game goes; I hope it succeeds but Gamers now-a-days do not like a huge challenge, so it will probably be shoved off as a niche and go f2p within a year. 

Originally posted by nestea

I was more into Asheron's Call myself, but EverQuest had its moments.

As far as this game goes; I hope it succeeds but Gamers now-a-days do not like a huge challenge, so it will probably be shoved off as a niche and go f2p within a year. 

I disagree with this.  You can see many games bringing back challenge reminiscent of arcade games have been successful in recent years.  Dark Souls, Bloodborne and even titles like the Trials series show these games are not a thing of the past.  MMORPGs based around challenge and teamwork simply haven't been tried since casual MMOs became so successful.  I don't expect them to ever garner that sort of popularity, but unlike casual games that fall back on F2P, a game like Pantheon will keep a solid following if they do it right and stick to their guns.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by andre369
    Originally posted by Thane

I think he went on a holiday and people did not like that.

McQuaid took $45k as a "3-month pay advance" out of ~$150k of money donated to make Pantheon to pay for "personal expenses".

This is on top of whatever he paid himself for a salary before that.

He then went on to apologize for taking the aforementioned $45k before some supposed investor money showed up. (That is all fact, as attested to by the apology that McQuaid himself gave at one point.)

Subsequent to that, all of the "professional developers" quit, among allegations of not being paid what they were promised.

From then until the present, it has been all non-paid development, with the aim of producing a pre-alpha build good enough to attract investor interest.

Lacking that, this game will never see the light of day, and the devs have admitted as much.

So, in the end, there is no reason, at all, for there to he any hype or enthusiasm for this title at all.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Burntvet

McQuaid took $45k as a "3-month pay advance" out of ~$150k of money donated to make Pantheon to pay for "personal expenses".

This is on top of whatever he paid himself for a salary before that.

He then went on to apologize for taking the aforementioned $45k before some supposed investor money showed up. (That is all fact, as attested to by the apology that McQuaid himself gave at one point.)

Subsequent to that, all of the "professional developers" quit, among allegations of not being paid what they were promised.

From then until the present, it has been all non-paid development, with the aim of producing a pre-alpha build good enough to attract investor interest.

Lacking that, this game will never see the light of day, and the devs have admitted as much.

So, in the end, there is no reason, at all, for there to he any hype or enthusiasm for this title at all.

Your name goes with this post rather well lol. That said you're pretty much correct. Without some real money invested in the project it's going to hit a brick wall rather soon.

Though even with Brad's reputation(and he seems minimally involved with Pantheon these days) this site has managed to drum up enough hype to spark the interest of someone soon, or so one would think. It's hard to ignore the popularity of p99 and ragefire. Surely someone will wisen up and invest in a project like this one soon.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I refuse to ever get excited for a hyped up game again.