Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All windows 10 versions announced.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/

I'll give the quick rundown.

*Windows 10 mobile (same as Windows Phone, smartphone  OS)

*Windows 10 mobile enterprise (it's Windows Phone for businesses)

*Windows 10 education (OS for schools)

*Windows 10 IoT Core (small footprint OS for gateways, embedded devices etc)

*Windows 10 enterprise (for business)

*Windows 10 Pro (small business)

And now the only version desktop consumers should probably care about:

*Windows 10 Home is the consumer-focused desktop edition. It offers a familiar and personal experience for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Windows 10 Home will help people do great things, both big and small.

The reason I say only version desktop consumers should care about,  is because Windows 10 Home is the only versions targeting consumer desktop PC.

Windows Pro, unlike some earlier versions, is really no longer consumer oriented, it's small business oriented. Gamers should all be running Windows 10 Home, not Pro, certainly not any others.

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a "gamer" edition that was not full of crappy MS bloatware and memory sucking apps/services?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Is the Home version 64 bit?  I think that's really all that matters.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a "gamer" edition that was not full of crappy MS bloatware and memory sucking apps/services?

Indeed, or a gamer mode for home edition.

All die, so die well.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    Is the Home version 64 bit?  I think that's really all that matters.

Yep, although there will probably still be a 32 bit version, there is in the beta.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Gamer edition is shutting off the services you do not want ... which is what any serious gamer does anyway.

Ah I saw home was available. The new change appears to market Pro strictly to small business. Personally I use Enterprise as I get a license through my work and is what we work on through the government. I can only imagine though how long it will take to convert to 10 across our domain. We still had windows XP a little more than a year ago.

You stay sassy!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Gamer edition is shutting off the services you do not want ... which is what any serious gamer does anyway.

And if MS ever wants to be taken seriously as a company that caters to gamers instead of one that just flirts with gaming, they would provide us with an easy one button solution to suspend those background processes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If it follows every other windows version it will have little to no impact on gamer's.Sure new and better .dll libraries helped the developers but little else matters to gamer's.Matter fo fact there have been some humps along the way hurting the gaming industry more than help it.I feel like many others that aside from the memory cap and 32 bit most of us would still be happy with Windows xp.Gaming has seen a VERY small improvement since the XP days as gaming is always years behind the best code.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RecklooseReckloose Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Torval

What services do you guys need to turn off? If you have 8GB - 16GB there should be no reason to turn off or disable anything.

What concerns me most and why I use the Pro edition is that I like using my home machine as a work machine as well. I use RDP, do development, and use some features only available in Pro. Are they going to be available in home version? I was really hoping Microsoft would ditch all of the crazy version categories this time around.

My assumption (once you boil down the marketing speak), is that it will be similar to 8.1. So, RDP client will be in home, but you can't be remoted into. Pro will be able to join a domain, home will not. Pro will have hyper-v, home will not. And I highly suspect that DirectAccess will only be in pro, but if you use another VPN client you might be ok with home.

But seriously, Hyper-V is totally worth going pro for me, since the alternative is a 250 dollar license for VM workstation.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    There was a workaround to enable RDP server in Windows 7 Home, I imagine someone will find a way to do it in Windows 10.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I'll be taking whatever it is they happen to be handing out in the "Free for one year" edition.

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Windows 10 runs just fine with games. ive been running the tech preview (which is now the insider preview) you'll get more bloat from running google chrome than anything else...
  • dustyfellowdustyfellow Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by tankknat
    Windows 10 runs just fine with games. ive been running the tech preview (which is now the insider preview) you'll get more bloat from running google chrome than anything else...

there are only 2 games i had trouble running on windows 10 build 10074 that is cabal 2 and rift. they stated they would update rift to work till windows 10 was released but cabal gives me a system services exception bsod. those are the only games so far that havent worked that i've tryed.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by dustyfellow
    Originally posted by tankknat

there are only 2 games i had trouble running on windows 10 build 10074 that is cabal 2 and rift. they stated they would update rift to work till windows 10 was released but cabal gives me a system services exception bsod. those are the only games so far that havent worked that i've tryed.

I suggest we all let the Win 8 guys guinea pig the new OS when it comes out.

Fortunately we have a whole year to decide whether  Win 10 is for us, as it will be free within that time frame, although, i wonder if its only the 32 bit version that is free, and not the 64 bit.. and nobody would seriously want to have a 32 bit version, free or otherwise.

I plan to give Win 10 at least a 4 month period to 'cook' after the official launch before risking my PC with it, and even then, only if it really is a viable gaming OS, because whether microsoft likes it or not, Win 7 presently is and Win 8, despite numerous claims to the contrary, never was, which IS one of the reasons why Win 8 never caught on, to make a comparison, Win 8 is the equivalent of FFXIV 1.0, whether MS can turn Win 10 into FFXIV;ARR, has yet to be seen, although seriously.. fingers are crossed here that it will be image

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I think ill wait till they release a "Feature matrix" to make a more informed opinion /decision.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

When I read that Win10 Home is for PC's and "tablets", what worries me is that the operating systems of the future are going to be dumbed down to accommodate portable devices. Not that they are going to contain excessive bloat.

As a couple of posters have already mentioned, with 32GB of RAM in my PC, a fast quad core processor, lots of hard drive space (both SSD and magnetic disk) etc., things have changed a lot. I don't even consider bloat problems anymore that were real issues just a few years ago. And I now essentially multitask to my hearts content. But if we're going to have to make everything compatible with tablets - machines that basically have the same power and less screen space than a shitty 25 year old DOS box, ughh. I don't ever want to go back there.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Tamanous

And if MS ever wants to be taken seriously as a company that caters to gamers instead of one that just flirts with gaming, they would provide us with an easy one button solution to suspend those background processes.

They are taken serious... they set out to do it years ago, and have capitalized the market ever since. What other OS are you going to compare it to for gaming? Hmm? DirectX wasn't geared towards gamers at all either then eh? Nope nope.... DirectX 12 is for office right? Yeah....