Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the dumbest gameplay I have seen in any MMO.

124»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Fourplay
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by RedAlert539
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by RedAlert539
    Originally posted by CIB3

The OP has right. For me all Asian games appear like as they were made to be played only by  ADHD PVP idiots/kids. These eastern games have no depth, no story, no valuable messages, nothing. Only flashes, yells, squeals, huge boobs and half-naked little schoolgirls.

That's why mostly idiots/kids play these kind of games. Just log to a TERA server and observe the global chat for 30 mins. You'll understand. I'm not saying that they'e bad games. Just that they tend to attract bad communities.

As for Black Desert itself, it was a game i was interested into. It has some very cool features like whale hunting, fishing, mount combat etc and combined with a beatifully crafted world it seems to be a nice game. But once i saw the combat i started to question my initial opinion. I mean thers's action combat and then there's ridiculously action combat. And BD seems to lean to the latter.

The guy that uploaded this video(Steparu) has a lot of vids covering BD in his channel so i saw a few of them that were highliting certain classes. The combat animations on all of these classes are over the top imo. Endlessly hack & slash with shaking cameras and headache inducing flashes/visuals. I know some of these can be turned off from options but still... Even his Sorceress was constantly attacking with high and low kicks. It was like seeing Jackie Chan sparring and not like seeing a sorcerer with magic abilities.

Add some immersion breaking items from the cash shop(swimsuits, tuxedos, bunny costumes etc) to all this and i'm afraid we'll have another great game in concept, ruined by silly design decisions.

So you're saying action combat is a silly design decision?  I guess it's a matter of taste but many people like action combat and it's not exactly easy to pull off in MMOs.

No i said 'over the top' action combat is silly. TERA and Neverwinter f.e. both have gotten action combat right imo but BD is stretching it too far. At least that's my opinion of what i've seen so far. I might end up loving it once i play it, who knows? All i'm saying is that i don't like what i see right now. It's just a prediction.

I don't think it's silly or a mistake.  Fighting games are big in Asia.  They have tournaments for games like Street Fighter.  They may not be as popular with the MMO folks over here but I think it will do well in Asia.

And I for one liked playing fighting games and look forward to similar combat in an MMO.  I'm sure there's enough people like me that it will do fine in the west as well.

I am very interested in this game. It's beautiful and is aiming for action combat. Imo it seems more like God OF War than a fighting game from what I have seen on youtube. I can't really call it a fighting game until I see it emphasize just as much on the defensive end with timed things like counters, blocks, parries, retorts, stuns, throws, etc. Anyone have a video showing defensive maneuvers?

Looks like there's blocking and dodging, which is pretty much the defensive aspect of fighting games.

The thing that peaked my interest was the video linked in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwETF2kBks

With different moves depending on movement and combination of buttons, it reminds me very much of a fighting game.  The soft cooldowns on moves, making it advantageous to mix things up, seems like a really awesome idea too.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Action combat without mob collision just loses something to me.  Why is this character able to constantly go through a muscular 500 pound giant.  Its like they are fighting in two different dimensions.

Also pretty sure many seizures and epileptic attacks will be induced by playing and/or watching this game.

Same here. 

This and 0 weight to attacks/hits received are the reason I can't play TERA or ESO, even a giant sword slash has no effect on an enemy.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by VveV

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by ragz45

OP just didn't eloquently state why he thinks the combat is bad.  He's not talking about the players attacks so much as the lack of any real interaction by way of the boss.  It just kind of swings at the tank now and then... no big aoe's to avoid etc.... no dragon tails lashing behind....  that sort of thing.

He just needs to learn how to better present his feelings.

Tend to agree, that was a boring fight tbh, i can only imagine it was one of the early boss fights, and hopefully not indicative of the rest of the game, the combat in the fight was far too simplistic, even the 'effects' couldn't hide how limited the fight was, or how limited the Boss AI was.

Does anyone know if the later battles improve much at all or is that a realistic example of a Boss fight in the game? Lazy coding if that is the case tbhimage

Not really. Here's what a endgame raid boss fight is like. Its pretty tragic imo.

When the boss hits the ground I kind of miss the "OMG! we are close to death. heals!! heals!!! *everyone panic* " moment. When I saw those two hands go up and hitting the ground I though " damn they are dead!" but nope. just keep attacking because it doesnt do ae dmg. Kind of lame.

The worst thing that seems to happen is "Immune" which means you wasted an attack. But then if you listen to the HI! HA!'s the attack speed is quite high.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I see no problem with the video or combat. Of course, none of us will know until we actually play it. I'm with Holden Hamlet on this one.
  • Joey96Joey96 Member Posts: 3

Damn I must say I'm disappointed in this topic... ofc those who say its the dumbest gameplay.... I dont know what game you want to compare it to, but mostly MMORPG is all about, targetting, clicking 1-9.... Of all MMO I have played... (thats many)

My opinion ofc! I must say this is the most advanced game i've played. You dont suddenly pop out your mount of thin air, it has stamina and health, can be equipped with better horse gear, it can even level up to get more stats. And NO! You dont just park your horse everywhere, it can be attacked by mobs.... and if it dies you have to go back to a stable and recover it, which also takes time....

And when you want to buy gear for your horse, you dont just buy it, you need to have some kind of intimacy with the vendor to buy off "better" items. Now you wonder how you get friendly with the merchant, well each merchant has its interest, so you go around discovering new npc's and such, and then you can converse with the vendor about those npc's to gain intimacy, before you can buy those items. And of course not every NPC is interesting for your currently target you're conversing with..... and some like to talk about books, so you also have to find other kind of knowledge to speak to them. And you dont just keep spamming the button "converse" you have limited "power" that you gain overtime, which you use that power to collect mining, herbs etc.

Regarding the combat, I would 100% disagree with you. And yes there is collision with mobs, I couldn't even run through a swarm of bees. Now I was recently doing a quest killing trolls, which were 3 lvl's higher, if I didnt dodge and just stood there, I would have been dead before I got them to half HP. Seccond, I love the way the combat differ from other MMO's, there is a combo assigned to ever spell, and you wont even bother using 1-9, because the combo's are much more handy, and gives flow to the battle. I agree that their AI isn't the best but I would never come close to saying its the dumbest ever lol... 

Camera shake is adjustable, effect stuff is adjustable, everything is...

And yes, you also train the strengths of your char, the more running you do, the more stamina you gain, if you do some specific delivery quests, where you have to carry a very heavy package, you will train your stamina and such much faster.

OFC the game is lacking in some ways...... but still one of the most advanced MMO I've played.....

And yes I'm playing the game, currently lvl 38. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is more to the video than just going to the back.

It looks to be an obvious Rogue class also with the dual wield.

The other problem is obvious SPAM attacks,typical of Asian games and the fact the player was ONLY using the back attack says more as well.It is obviously the players best dps attack ,not a big deal there but ONLY using that attack and that often means it has no timer,so again spam away.

Overall it spells a very shallow combat and class design,something i already knew a month ago when i began to see if there was any hope i would like this game.

To me it really says something is wrong when you can EASILY see a game is made by an Asian developer.Each game should have it's own identity,we really should look at a game and not have a clue as to who made it.

If you really do the math,this game only had about 2 1/2 years of production value until a CBT was done.That right there says that not a lot of depth was put into it,even worse when you figure in the fact they had top make the game engine first.So for the first likely year of that 2 1/2 it was just the making of textures or anything else that could be imported over.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Joey96

Damn I must say I'm disappointed in this topic... ofc those who say its the dumbest gameplay.... I dont know what game you want to compare it to, but mostly MMORPG is all about, targetting, clicking 1-9.... Of all MMO I have played... (thats many)

My opinion ofc! I must say this is the most advanced game i've played. You dont suddenly pop out your mount of thin air, it has stamina and health, can be equipped with better horse gear, it can even level up to get more stats. And NO! You dont just park your horse everywhere, it can be attacked by mobs.... and if it dies you have to go back to a stable and recover it, which also takes time....

And when you want to buy gear for your horse, you dont just buy it, you need to have some kind of intimacy with the vendor to buy off "better" items. Now you wonder how you get friendly with the merchant, well each merchant has its interest, so you go around discovering new npc's and such, and then you can converse with the vendor about those npc's to gain intimacy, before you can buy those items. And of course not every NPC is interesting for your currently target you're conversing with..... and some like to talk about books, so you also have to find other kind of knowledge to speak to them. And you dont just keep spamming the button "converse" you have limited "power" that you gain overtime, which you use that power to collect mining, herbs etc.

Regarding the combat, I would 100% disagree with you. And yes there is collision with mobs, I couldn't even run through a swarm of bees. Now I was recently doing a quest killing trolls, which were 3 lvl's higher, if I didnt dodge and just stood there, I would have been dead before I got them to half HP. Seccond, I love the way the combat differ from other MMO's, there is a combo assigned to ever spell, and you wont even bother using 1-9, because the combo's are much more handy, and gives flow to the battle. I agree that their AI isn't the best but I would never come close to saying its the dumbest ever lol... 

And yes, you also train the strengths of your char, the more running you do, the more stamina you gain, if you do some specific delivery quests, where you have to carry a very heavy package, you will train your stamina and such much faster.

OFC the game is lacking in some ways...... but still one of the most advanced MMO I've played.....

You are wasting your time in this thread explaining the intricacies of this beautiful MMORPG.  Most of the naysayers in this thread are of the OWPvP variety who could care less about these wonderful features you've just explained.  All they want is a full loot, OWPvP sand box, with no quests or PvE whatsoever, so that they can FPS and gank to their hearts content.  They are not really complaining about the combat.  If it were not for the fact that Black Dessert announced changes toward a more traditional PvE MMORPG game play design, you would not be hearing all of these foul and heated negatives about Black Dessert.  This has been the same combat that Black Dessert has showcased all along yet you never heard any of this negativity until their recent announcement of game changes in their game play.  Those of us who enjoy a good MMORPG are delighted with the announced changes.  Trust me, Black Dessert will be much more successful with these latest changes than they would have ever been with their original game format.  They know this, hence the changes. 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

You are wasting your time in this thread explaining the intricacies of this beautiful MMORPG.  Most of the naysayers in this thread are of the OWPvP variety who could care less about these wonderful features you've just explained.  All they want is a full loot, OWPvP sand box, with no quests or PvE whatsoever, so that they can FPS and gank to their hearts content.  Those of us who enjoy a good MMORPG are delighted with the announced changes.  Trust me, Black Dessert will be much more successful with these latest changes than they would have ever been with their original model release.  They know this, hence the changes. 

That is actually not at all what I want from a sandbox game.  I think developing the world, having reputation with npc and npc factions is of the utmost importance.  I think backstory for both the world and its inhabitants (npcs) is very important for creating the feel of a virtual world.  I think PvE is even important in a sandbox game, because it offers another option for players beyond just PvP and it gives players something worth fighting over.

That said, I have been unimpressed with the decisions I've seen Pearl Abyss make regarding BD lately.  They've taken the easy way out and added a lot of themepark quest progression.  It also looks like the AI for most mobs is comparable to that of a plant.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Dullahan

You are wasting your time in this thread explaining the intricacies of this beautiful MMORPG.  Most of the naysayers in this thread are of the OWPvP variety who could care less about these wonderful features you've just explained.  All they want is a full loot, OWPvP sand box, with no quests or PvE whatsoever, so that they can FPS and gank to their hearts content.  Those of us who enjoy a good MMORPG are delighted with the announced changes.  Trust me, Black Dessert will be much more successful with these latest changes than they would have ever been with their original model release.  They know this, hence the changes. 

That is actually not at all what I want from a sandbox game.  I think developing the world, having reputation with npc and npc factions is of the utmost importance.  I think backstory for both the world and its inhabitants (npcs) is very important for creating the feel of a virtual world.  I think PvE is even important in a sandbox game, because it offers another option for players beyond just PvP and it gives players something worth fighting over.

That said, I have been unimpressed with the decisions I've seen Pearl Abyss make regarding BD lately.  They've taken the easy way out and added a lot of themepark quest progression.  It also looks like the AI for most mobs is comparable to that of a plant.

This is a reasoned response but theme park quest progression is not necessarily a bad thing.  Many MMORPG players enjoy that aspect in an MMORPG.  I mean, this is an MMORPG, isn't it?  Regarding the mob AI, I would agree with you if, in fact, that is the case.  That said, there is still quite a bit of time before BD is released.  These are game functions that can easily be adjusted from here until the game is released.  We just need to have a little patience and see what the end result brings about before jumping to unsubstantiated assumptions.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Thanks you for this post. You provided your thoughts on the game from your time playing it and you did in great detail. A lot of thing you just said I did not even know were features of Black Desert.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

You are wasting your time in this thread explaining the intricacies of this beautiful MMORPG.  Most of the naysayers in this thread are of the OWPvP variety who could care less about these wonderful features you've just explained.  All they want is a full loot, OWPvP sand box, with no quests or PvE whatsoever, so that they can FPS and gank to their hearts content.  They are not really complaining about the combat.  If it were not for the fact that Black Dessert announced changes toward a more traditional PvE MMORPG game play design, you would not be hearing all of these foul and heated negatives about Black Dessert.  This has been the same combat that Black Dessert has showcased all along yet you never heard any of this negativity until their recent announcement of game changes in their game play.  Those of us who enjoy a good MMORPG are delighted with the announced changes.  Trust me, Black Dessert will be much more successful with these latest changes than they would have ever been with their original game format.  They know this, hence the changes. 

They are just jealous of Black Desert because it looks so much better then these ugly boring low budget western mmos that no one cares about.

Haters keep hating.image

• Joey96Joey96 Member Posts: 3
    Haha true :D What I wrote didn't cover all the super amazing details they havde put into the game :D As I dont even know how it works hahah xD I'm a fan for lore and story... but damn... I think I only know 30% whats going on hahah, but it still keeps me entertained! 100% a must try.... even if it's going to be p2p... graphs and tiny small details are amazing!
  • StellaAlamarrStellaAlamarr Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

I can not believe how dumb this gameplay is.

For almost 3 minutes, all the character does is turn to the back of the mob.

The isometric viewpoint makes it look like one of those mobile Android games.

Just terrible.

Why would you be watching a PvE video of a game that's centered on PvP. The developers themselves stated that they didn't want the AI of mobs to be difficult because they want people to focus on lvling and getting gear for pvp. You should probably do a little research on the game first. Also, standing in one spot and pressing skill 1-10, etc. is no better than this and you know it.