Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is crafting still a huge part of the game?

TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

I'm one of the oddballs that really doesn't enjoy crafting. When ESO first came out, I absolutely loved the gameplay and really started to get into the story... but after a while starting to run into a bit of a wall in that crafting was almost necessary to progress. I did it, just to keep up, but the constant hunt for mats and the crafting of gear was slowly starting to drain my soul away. Eventually, I decided to take a break.

I've been interested in coming back to the game, but I've had trepidations about going into a crafting heavy game again. So, I was curious: if crafting still a huge thing in this game? Can you go from 1 to max without crafting and not find yourself sorely lacking overall? 

Thanks!

Comments

• SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Tolmos

I'm one of the oddballs that really doesn't enjoy crafting. When ESO first came out, I absolutely loved the gameplay and really started to get into the story... but after a while starting to run into a bit of a wall in that crafting was almost necessary to progress. I did it, just to keep up, but the constant hunt for mats and the crafting of gear was slowly starting to drain my soul away. Eventually, I decided to take a break.

I've been interested in coming back to the game, but I've had trepidations about going into a crafting heavy game again. So, I was curious: if crafting still a huge thing in this game? Can you go from 1 to max without crafting and not find yourself sorely lacking overall? 

Thanks!

join a guild? I mean, best part on mmorpgs/mmo's is that you can always count with your guild/friends and if you don't like a certain aspect cooperate with others and they will cooperate with you?

I mean Back when I lead The Brotherhood(EU) each one of us had something we loved doing and something we didn't, the guild was complete that way, example, I loved Mining/Blacksmithing, I would help my fellow Plate users by crafting for them Plate armor, in return they would become stronger to participate on the other aspects of the game, be PvE/PvP, they would help obtain other components to craft and improve armors, and the trend followed to all crafting proffesions there was in the game we were playing on the game.

works all the time trust me.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Honestly it depends on your class / build.. you want your gear to synergize with those two things.

Some Builds run better with end game PvP / PvE item sets, some run better with crafted item sets, regardless of this fact, you'll probably need some crafted items, which generally you can find people to do for you at a reasonable price if not free.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am currently leveling up a character that is doing all crafts at once. It is interesting and fun at the same time.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    I am currently leveling up a character that is doing all crafts at once. It is interesting and fun at the same time.

That's great, but he was asking about whether or not it was required not whether or not you enjoyed it.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

I stil have 0 craft skills because are useless

Themepark with craft matter? o wait wait wait dont exist 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by vadio123
    I stil have 0 craft skills because are useless Themepark with craft matter? o wait wait wait dont exist 

crafting is useless in ESO? LOL

its kind of OP if you ask me. a player with crafted gear vs a player with gear he just finds from quests and in the world? not even comparable in this game.

by the way, i could argue that building houses and random shit in a sandbox is useless, matter of fact a lot of it is.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

OP i would say nothing has changed in that regard, crafted gear is still better than shit you find in the world. but you can still do the content without it or just buy gear from the guild stores.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Crafting is really good in eso in that it's not redundant shit after 2 weeks. Personally I like gathering and crafting as I level, and it's going to be great to support my own builds when I start to experiment later with weapons and types of armor. I do however see a lot of chat in my guilds where people craft for each other, and it's pretty pleasant without the race to be number 1, so entirely optional. Re levelling in general you have no probs keeping geared up as you go with drops/chests/rewards, if I'm not crafting I simply wear down the gear until its broken then replace with looted stuff rather than repairing - the benefit of crafting however is that you can deconstruct that dead gear for mats.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yes, OP, crafting is truly optional. At end game most people are wearing a mix of crafted and dropped sets and the crafted stuff you can usually get made by a guild mate for low cost -- all except the armor with the flavour of the day Nirnhoned trait that is which is very pricey.

One step down from crafting is gathering and deconstructing gear to get mats - it'll just be cheaper to get the stuff crafted (typically free) if you have the mats,

But being able to craft does have advantages, obviously. For example, my level 40 Nightblade is running around in a Night Silence set I crafted that negates the movement penalty for stealthing --  more of a QOL kind of thing than a big advantage although it does come in handy in PVP if you combine it with a movement boost ability,

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Imo it's good to have a mix of crafted and dropped gear. Join a trade guild OP. you'll find someone who will be able to make w/e you need and probably not even charge much if any.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"