Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are quests required?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by baphamet

honestly, if you don't like to do quests this game isn't for you. unless you plan on pvp'ing from lvl 10 on...

It's not questing that I don't like. It's the short lived get 100 quests done in 10 minutes . It's following some story stopping every 15 feet talking to people. I don't want to spend 10 minutes bouncing from npc to npc talking. I want to play a game, not a story.

not exactly that type of questing. They are more story based. Though in truth I do sometimes avoid them as I get tired of quests. Having said that, the quests in this game are some of the best I've experienced. Others being Secret world and SWToR.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by David_Lopan
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Originally posted by baphamet

honestly, if you don't like to do quests this game isn't for you. unless you plan on pvp'ing from lvl 10 on...

It's not questing that I don't like. It's the short lived get 100 quests done in 10 minutes . It's following some story stopping every 15 feet talking to people. I don't want to spend 10 minutes bouncing from npc to npc talking. I want to play a game, not a story.

+ 2

I wish mob xp was what it used to be back in the day, the game usually flows better with a mix of exploring, killing mobs and story when needed, not just quest to quest with mob filler.

I agree.  I just tried EQ2 attempting to skip the quests and kill in dungeons with a mercenary.  It was considerably slower and getting gear (often times no better than faceroll questing outside the dungeon) was a huge PIA.

ESO really doesn't appear to be the type of game that you can level up on higher difficulty mobs and get good exp and gear.  The only games I've found that allow people to break free of the never ending NPC's errands are the old school games (EQ, AC etc..) and games that have a limited number of NPC's Darkfall/Eve.  

Edit:  What scares me is that people don't even know what OP is asking.  I have no idea how people tolerate going from no risk quest hub to quest hub being told what to kill and when to kill it.  Don't you ever want to branch out and challenge yourself on tougher mobs for better loot?  Find your own way in a large dangerous virtual world?

One of the things I liked about the game was once you got off the starter island you could just travel all over the land.  I got up to lvl ten and then set off to become a vampire.  You do get xp for exploration and finding shrines so you could gain levels just by traveling.  Grinding mobs and open dungeons can give you better gear then some quests.  Get an add-on and join some guilds and you can teleport for free anywhere your guildmates are which means you wouldn't have to unlock parts of the story to go there. 

The only game I can think of off hand that you can hit max without doing quests would be GW2.  You can grind and dynamic event, and do world bosses all the way up to max if you wanted. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    no offense OP, but are you sure your looking for a MMO or RPG? they all have quests.  no, you don't have to do them I suppose.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    The die hards are trying to avoid the real answer "can you go through the game without doing quests" the simple answer and only real answer is "no you can't"

• advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    What I'm asking here is, can I go through the game killing NPC's and not doing quests at all just enjoying the scenery? Other than lore/story is there anything I'll be missing out on; items, skills, spells, etc?

I´am doing my second character now and i can tell you that you miss at least 75% of the fun if you don´t suck up the story which is told in a beautiful way imho. You should keep in mind that ESO does not have so much to offer in what you call end game compared to other mmo´s, so you should enjoy every minute until you reach it.

If you want to grind your way up you can do that but i don´t think that you can avoid all of the quests, i think you have to do at least kill molag bal to be sent to the veteran areas (Plus, it is not a very efficient way to level alone). When i did my first character at release some people used the "travel to player" functions to get ported to the other areas but i don´t know if that works anymore.

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Torval

Originally posted by Ceryshen

Since you're a professional web designer / programmer let me put it in vocationally related terms. Can you enjoy a rich web experience with the Lynx browser?

He wasn't looking for a text based game, just one that isn't reliant on quest hubs.

Woosh

I know what you're getting at, you're just using a bad comparison.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Since you're a professional web designer / programmer let me put it in vocationally related terms. Can you enjoy a rich web experience with the Lynx browser?

He wasn't looking for a text based game, just one that isn't reliant on quest hubs.

Woosh

I know what you're getting at, you're just using a bad comparison.

You obviously don't get it. It has nothing to do with playing a text based game.

That would depend entirely on ones personal definition of a rich web experience, and the correlation he's speaking of is valid.

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

For the OP-

if someone can level a character to max in WOW without killing a mob, I guess you could level to max in ESO without questing. Why you would want to do either is beyond me. 

You asked the question here and got reasonable answers to your questions, but displayed a level of hostility which really wasn't warranted.   

As as others have stated this is not an ideal game for leveling without questing. You would be missing out on skill points, gear rewards, etc.  There are ways around this, but from your responses I doubt you really care about the answers. 

No hostility at all. Why I would want to is personal preference. I dont enjoy over saturation of quests and like to be able to only do quests that I want, when I want.

For people saying that mmorpgs require quests have no clue what you're talking about. As for this series, I played countless hours of morrowind and did only a handful of quests.

Sounds like ESO is another quest based game, ill move on.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    The die hards are trying to avoid the real answer "can you go through the game without doing quests" the simple answer and only real answer is "no you can't"

Well, that's not exactly true. there are people who grind out their levels and completely bypass the quests. Whether or not they find this enjoyable or if they feel the end justifies the means is another thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, that's not exactly true. there are people who grind out their levels and completely bypass the quests. Whether or not they find this enjoyable or if they feel the end justifies the means is another thing.

It's funny that this thread is still going after I posted a couple of links in another thread that is still active that show you exactly how to level by grinding.

You obviously lose a lot if you play an MMO that is designed around questing by grinding but it sure as hell is doable if that's your thing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

What's fun for one isn't necessarily fun for another. That's not the question here.

Originally posted by Iselin

It's funny that this thread is still going after I posted a couple of links in another thread that is still active that show you exactly how to level by grinding.

You obviously lose a lot if you play an MMO that is designed around questing by grinding but it sure as hell is doable if that's your thing.

You lose a lot? What do you mean here? If your talking about enjoyment, that's not even a part of the question.

You lose a lot? What do you mean here? If your talking about enjoyment, that's not even a part of the question.

Let's put it this way. You can play American football without helmets, cleats and protective gear with just a T, shorts and runners and just try to toss the ball over the uprights... but they have another kind of game for that called basketball.

There are plenty of grinders out there where the main activity IS grinding... this ain't one of those. You get it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Let's put it this way. You can play American football without helmets, cleats and protective gear with just a T, shorts and runners and just try to toss the ball over the uprights... but they have another kind of game for that called basketball.

There are plenty of grinders out there where the main activity IS grinding... this ain't one of those. You get it?

You're the one who doesn't get it...

I see... image + 1 LOL for you.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

He has tried to answer your question, I understand him. What are you looking for?

The game is much more fun when you quest, that's all you need to know. You can grind to the top in almost any game. WoW had a guy hit 100 without even leaving the Pandarian starting area. If you don't like to listen to the story just go kill things over and over if that's what you enjoy. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

He has tried to answer your question, I understand him. What are you looking for?

The game is much more fun when you quest, that's all you need to know. You can grind to the top in almost any game. WoW had a guy hit 100 without even leaving the Pandarian starting area. If you don't like to listen to the story just go kill things over and over if that's what you enjoy. 

The question was answered a long time ago.

"much more fun when you quest" - this is the kind of crap that is 100% meaningless.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

"much more fun when you quest" - this is the kind of crap that is 100% meaningless.

Then why do you keep coming back telling people they are wrong?

And yes, fun is excessively overdone. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

So much misinformation.

Grinding 1-50 is WAY faster than questing IF you know where and how to grind efficiently.

If you are dedicated you can hit V1 in less than 2 days grinding.

Questing its more like a week.

This is the grind guide I use for EP: http://www.votf.net/topic/249-votf-ebonheart-grind-levelling-3-vr10/

I've leveled up 5 characters grinding and 2 questing and grinding is way, way faster across the board.  It's also way more tedious and boring, but I watch Netflix on my other monitor so it goes pretty quickly.

VR grinding on the other hand is a bit tougher, you can't go to Craglorn any more at V1 and expect things to go fast, Cadwell's Silver and Gold, then grinding to the next level in each zone to make up the difference, seems to be best until about V10 when you will want to hit Craglorn or continue a V8-10 grind.  You can also Cyrodiil grind, if you're okay with occasionally PvPing to retain your grind spot.

You CAN go through MOST of the game without doing quests but the exception is beating Coldharbour/Main Quest if you want to head up through the other zones for VR1-10, which is the best way to grind VRs IMO.

Also, Delves are great XP the first time you do them.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

OP are you asking if the game is any fun without the quests?

if so, i hope so as i am thinking of giving this a go, and if it is no fun without quest hubs then it is a real linear experience and not one that i am willing to try.

Now if the answer is yes and the game isn't all about getting to the max level as fast as possible, and you can actually just step into the world and have fun then maybe ill give i a go.

Unfortunately reading the posts of the players...it seems like its just another rush to max level :(

Then why do you keep coming back telling people they are wrong?

And yes, fun is excessively overdone. 

Its my thread, I'm not going to ignore it. The only thing people are wrong about is stating opinion as fact. Fun is subjective and wasn't a part of the question in any way.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Telil

if so, i hope so as i am thinking of giving this a go, and if it is no fun without quest hubs then it is a real linear experience and not one that i am willing to try.

Now if the answer is yes and the game isn't all about getting to the max level as fast as possible, and you can actually just step into the world and have fun then maybe ill give i a go.

Unfortunately reading the posts of the players...it seems like its just another rush to max level :(

There aren't really any 'quest hub', like in TES tradition, you choose a direction and go picking up quests along the way.

But TES ARE story driven games so I don't understand why you don't play a game that doesn't include handcrafted stories and dialogues instead

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by muthax

There aren't really any 'quest hub', like in TES tradition, you choose a direction and go picking up quests along the way.

But TES ARE story driven games so I don't understand why you don't play a game that doesn't include handcrafted stories and dialogues instead

To Devil's Advocate this a bit, I've leveled up 7 characters to V1 and 3 to V14.

The first character I quested pretty much the whole way to V10, so I saw every story in the game. I am not the kind of person who can go through the same stories again and again and be entertained, so grinding is an efficient and effective alternative.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Entinerint

To Devil's Advocate this a bit, I've leveled up 7 characters to V1 and 3 to V14.

The first character I quested pretty much the whole way to V10, so I saw every story in the game. I am not the kind of person who can go through the same stories again and again and be entertained, so grinding is an efficient and effective alternative.

If you are talking about ALTs yeah but you would be doing it NOT to replay content. It's a bit diffferent

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

I haven't played it yet, but i am considering it.

If the story telling is not quest hubbed and are actual lore story's then that is different. I am trying to avoid races to end level games these days. i want a game that has depth and a rich background. To be fair i only read the first two pages of replies and the trend seemed to be that you need to quest to level efficiently. That's exactly what i want to ignore....levelling is the natural progression for playing a game for me and not my first target.

Forgive me, i'm an old Everquest player. In EQ you just used to play the game and explore a huge world. Quest rewards were equipment and an almost imperceptible sliver of experience. They were more to explain the lore than anything else.

I want questing to be more to tell a story and enrich your gaming rather than a way to level. hope that explains my meaning more.