Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are quests required?

KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
What I'm asking here is, can I go through the game killing NPC's and not doing quests at all just enjoying the scenery? Other than lore/story is there anything I'll be missing out on; items, skills, spells, etc?

Comments

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Quests are still possibly the fastest way to level up

Each zone has it's story. Story quests for zones grant from time to time skill points

Completing main story does is not required to gain vet ranks anymore but it is still required to unlock access to zones of other alliances (and then see previous arguments).

Reassuming it is not required - I for one found leveling 1-50 in Cyrodiil to be rewarding well enough to actually skip questing but to make full of your character it is advised to do quests too.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Quests level you a few thousand times faster than killing mobs, so while it's "technically" possible, it will take you EONS to do so.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115
    99% sure some of the story quests reward you with skill points

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You can go through the game just doing the Main story quest I believe. And grind mobs for the rest of your levels.

However you will miss out on some quests that give skill points in each zone. I think there are 2-3 per zone that will award a skill point.

It is doable tho for the most part.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

honestly, if you don't like to do quests this game isn't for you. unless you plan on pvp'ing from lvl 10 on...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by jdnewell
    You can go through the game just doing the Main story quest I believe. And grind mobs for the rest of your levels.However you will miss out on some quests that give skill points in each zone. I think there are 2-3 per zone that will award a skill point.It is doable tho for the most part.

well if he gets all the shyshards and just does the main story he will be fine. heck, just getting the shyshards would be enough as long as he doesn't put any points into crafting or anything not essential to his build.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by baphamet

honestly, if you don't like to do quests this game isn't for you. unless you plan on pvp'ing from lvl 10 on...

It's not questing that I don't like. It's the short lived get 100 quests done in 10 minutes . It's following some story stopping every 15 feet talking to people. I don't want to spend 10 minutes bouncing from npc to npc talking. I want to play a game, not a story.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Kilrain

It's not questing that I don't like. It's the short lived get 100 quests done in 10 minutes . It's following some story stopping every 15 feet talking to people. I don't want to spend 10 minutes bouncing from npc to npc talking. I want to play a game, not a story.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Mikeha

+ 2

I wish mob xp was what it used to be back in the day, the game usually flows better with a mix of exploring, killing mobs and story when needed, not just quest to quest with mob filler.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

These are RPGs, not FPSs. An MMORPG has to have a story set with lore and background to help your character progress. I suppose you could play some Asian grinders, but this game revolves around a very large background of previous games in a series.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

These are RPGs, not FPSs. An MMORPG has to have a story set with lore and background to help your character progress. I suppose you could play some Asian grinders, but this game revolves around a very large background of previous games in a series.

Eh, no.

I have been playing MMORPG's since '96 so don't even try to tell me what MMORPG's are supposed to be.

I asked this question in here BECAUSE of it's large background and previous games in hopes that I could play it the same way I play the others.

The answer sounds like no, so I'm going to move on and check out others that I either haven't played or haven't put much time in. Here's hoping.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    What I'm asking here is, can I go through the game killing NPC's and not doing quests at all just enjoying the scenery? Other than lore/story is there anything I'll be missing out on; items, skills, spells, etc?

Mmo's don't give the xp that they used to for just exploring the wild and killing mobs with your friends. Its all quest hub to hub now.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by David_Lopan

+ 2

I wish mob xp was what it used to be back in the day, the game usually flows better with a mix of exploring, killing mobs and story when needed, not just quest to quest with mob filler.

+3 

It was nice to take a break from questing by doing public dungeons for awhile which also allow you to get some good equipment drops if you didn't want to craft your gear.  They have repeatedly nurfed grinding spots and everything except for quests to get people to level by questing. 

That said, I was looking at a youtube leveling video that said if you can find good grind locations you can still level faster by grinding and said he doesn't do side quests at all because the rewards are not that good plus the xp rewards are usually less then just grinding a bunch of mobs without all the running back and forth.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711

+ 2

+3 

It was nice to take a break from questing by doing public dungeons for awhile which also allow you to get some good equipment drops if you didn't want to craft your gear.  They have repeatedly nurfed grinding spots and everything except for quests to get people to level by questing. 

That said, I was looking at a youtube leveling video that said if you can find good grind locations you can still level faster by grinding and said he doesn't do side quests at all because the rewards are not that good plus the xp rewards are usually less then just grinding a bunch of mobs without all the running back and forth.

I decided to check out ESO videos for mob grinding and the only thing I find are nerfed (according to the comments).

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Eh, no.

I have been playing MMORPG's since '96 so don't even try to tell me what MMORPG's are supposed to be.

I asked this question in here BECAUSE of it's large background and previous games in hopes that I could play it the same way I play the others.

The answer sounds like no, so I'm going to move on and check out others that I either haven't played or haven't put much time in. Here's hoping.

I don't know of any western mmorpg's that you can just grind your way to end game and not benefit from the story. What games have you been playing since 96 that are immersive and fun just by killing things?

edit: Almost everyone here has been playing mmorpgs since 96, it's not some kind of a superior achievement.  /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Others have already said most of the technical stuff that you need to know.  But I'll add one point:

Skill points are buried in many questlines, as they said... but...

Advancement through the many skill lines is based on XP while using those skill lines, not skill POINTS.  2 handed weapon, for example, levels as you use 2 handed weapons.  And the availability of the more advanced skills in 2H is mostly about using 2H while leveling, with some help from bookshelf reading.  Skill points just open up those skills.  The more skill points you get, the more "diversatile" your repertoire gets.  And yeah, they're also used for crafting and passives.  But not getting all skill points available to you is FAR from crippling.

If you know exactly what build you want from the get-go and don't plan to change it, skill points don't mean a whole lot, and you don't need a whole lot of them.

All that said, I still have to say, to buy this game because you can avoid quests, is like buying a car to drive to work in reverse.  You CAN do it, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be a particularly good experience.

Eh, no.

I don't know of any western mmorpg's that you can just grind your way to end game and not benefit from the story. What games have you been playing since 96 that are immersive and fun just by killing things?

This statement suggests that you didn't play any games pre WoW.

edit: Almost everyone here has been playing mmorpgs since 96, it's not some kind of a superior achievement.  /shrug

No one said anything about an achievement. Are you trying to win some e points or something?

What I find immersive and fun is of no concern to you. You act as though by ASKING A QUESTION I have somehow taken away your ability to do quests.

Troll somewhere else.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yes and no.

Grinding is the fastest way to level, but you get things like skill points from quest. Technically even without the points from quest you could still get all the skill points you need. You may have to respec more often though depending on you play style.

You could just run around and explore and do delves too. Many people say that's faster than questing as well. You can also level to 10 then never leave Cyrodiil, pvp all the way to cap.  It's slow, but damn fun.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

:)

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    YOU can level with AvA...though I cannot recommend  the AvA feature. It has been totally neglected by ESO.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

+ 2

I agree.  I just tried EQ2 attempting to skip the quests and kill in dungeons with a mercenary.  It was considerably slower and getting gear (often times no better than faceroll questing outside the dungeon) was a huge PIA.

ESO really doesn't appear to be the type of game that you can level up on higher difficulty mobs and get good exp and gear.  The only games I've found that allow people to break free of the never ending NPC's errands are the old school games (EQ, AC etc..) and games that have a limited number of NPC's Darkfall/Eve.  

Edit:  What scares me is that people don't even know what OP is asking.  I have no idea how people tolerate going from no risk quest hub to quest hub being told what to kill and when to kill it.  Don't you ever want to branch out and challenge yourself on tougher mobs for better loot?  Find your own way in a large dangerous virtual world?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Robsolf

All that said, I still have to say, to buy this game because you can avoid quests, is like buying a car to drive to work in reverse.  You CAN do it, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be a particularly good experience.

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would want to buy an Elder Scrolls game, a series that marinates in quests, lore, and story, and not want any of it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Mardukk

+ 2

I agree.  I just tried EQ2 attempting to skip the quests and kill in dungeons with a mercenary.  It was considerably slower and getting gear (often times no better than faceroll questing outside the dungeon) was a huge PIA.

ESO really doesn't appear to be the type of game that you can level up on higher difficulty mobs and get good exp and gear.  The only games I've found that allow people to break free of the never ending NPC's errands are the old school games (EQ, AC etc..) and games that have a limited number of NPC's Darkfall/Eve.  

Edit:  What scares me is that people don't even know what OP is asking.  I have no idea how people tolerate going from no risk quest hub to quest hub being told what to kill and when to kill it.  Don't you ever want to branch out and challenge yourself on tougher mobs for better loot?  Find your own way in a large dangerous virtual world?

You are right that most people don't know what the OP is asking. I use to grind dungeons in EQ 2 and get great xp. Did they change that?

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

For the OP-

if someone can level a character to max in WOW without killing a mob, I guess you could level to max in ESO without questing. Why you would want to do either is beyond me. 

You asked the question here and got reasonable answers to your questions, but displayed a level of hostility which really wasn't warranted.   

As as others have stated this is not an ideal game for leveling without questing. You would be missing out on skill points, gear rewards, etc.  There are ways around this, but from your responses I doubt you really care about the answers. 

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Torval
    Since you're a professional web designer / programmer let me put it in vocationally related terms. Can you enjoy a rich web experience with the Lynx browser?

He wasn't looking for a text based game, just one that isn't reliant on quest hubs.