Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Heavensward Expansion

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by Bascola
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Foomerang Already preordered. I love the variety of content in this game. I like that you can avoid any and all token grinds and still have tons of deep and meaningful character progression.
    Like what? PS: Don't say crafting and gathering, lmao.
    Oh yeah, you're that guy who says he's done everything but didn't know what any end game items are called and won't reveal your super secret character heh. Still trying to convince people I see ;)
    You have not answered my question. Mind sharing the tons of deep and meaningful character progression?  
    I have already answered you question in previous threads and even a private message. At this point, you either accept the fact we have differing opinions or move on. Your credibility is suspect regarding this game while I have been nothing but transparent with my character info, playstyle,etc.  
    I am pretty sure other people reading this thread would be interested to hear it too but as usual, you don't have an answer at all. I know this and it's pretty obvious for everyone to see that you evade and start straw man arguments, try to discredit me instead of answering a simple question?

Mind sharing the tons of deep and meaningful character progression?

Sure. 3 star gathering, mastering the market, triple triad collection, chocobo racing and breeding, ixali beast tribe, lucis upgrades, rare plant crossing, 4 star crafting, double mooching for epiq fish, 110 desynthesis rating, getting my house just right, getting rank 8 fc and a perfect battle chocobo.
    Of course you're going to say you've done all this on random free weekend which is ridiculous. Or your going to say this is not deep meaningful character progression which is your opinion. I have accomplished a lot with my character and that's all that really matters.

None of the things you listed are character progression except crafting and gathering which can be mastered in a week like the rest of the game and you did not even list those.

You know that the things you listed are not character progression but you still insist on it on the grounds of opinion. There is no opinion when it comes to character progression. It either is or is not and the things you listed are not. 

Mastering the Market /smh

Anyways, there is no point in arguing with you any more. You have proven to everyone that there is no meaningful character progression so we can end this.

Have Fun!

I"m sure he's proven it just fine, you sir on the other hand......../smh indeed

Tend to agree, what more does he need, a written confirmation from the various leaders of the free world.. image

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I'll give you that there's no meaningful or interesting PVE character progression.  It's your par for the course dungeon token grind or raids.  The fact of the matter is that every single game in the last so many years is set up the same way, so I don't know what you expected?

That being said, there are lots of little things on the side to do that are quite fun.  Triple triad is a blast, for instance.  The crafting and gathering (to a lesser extent) is very fun and dynamic. 

So when every other game does endgame progression basically the same, but this one has more interesting side activities....I would call that more interesting overall.  Not dynamic PVE content by any means....but again, what DOES have that?  Because honestly that's what I would want to play.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Quit about half a year ago, planning on returning with the expansion.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I recently gave this game another try. The questing is really smooth, as are the mechanics and graphics. The group play had me bored to tears though, so much so that I wouldn't even play if it was free. I also hate how linear the game is, forcing it's mediocre story on me at every turn.

A lot of us don't play mmo's for the artificial story, we want to make our own.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

I recently gave this game another try. The questing is really smooth, as are the mechanics and graphics. The group play had me bored to tears though, so much so that I wouldn't even play if it was free. I also hate how linear the game is, forcing it's mediocre story on me at every turn.

Maybe you should play a sandbox rather than a themepark game then.

• sagewisdomsagewisdom Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

I'll give you that there's no meaningful or interesting PVE character progression.  It's your par for the course dungeon token grind or raids.  The fact of the matter is that every single game in the last so many years is set up the same way, so I don't know what you expected?

That being said, there are lots of little things on the side to do that are quite fun.  Triple triad is a blast, for instance.  The crafting and gathering (to a lesser extent) is very fun and dynamic. 

So when every other game does endgame progression basically the same, but this one has more interesting side activities....I would call that more interesting overall.  Not dynamic PVE content by any means....but again, what DOES have that?  Because honestly that's what I would want to play.

I really wish someone would tell me what counts as meaningful or interesting PvE character progression.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Maybe you should play a sandbox rather than a themepark game then.

This is what baffles me.  They know it's a themepark game.  They know what themepark entails.  They play it anyways and complain it's a themepark.

Originally posted by sagewisdom

I really wish someone would tell me what counts as meaningful or interesting PvE character progression.

I'm wishing the same.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    For the people who are coming back for.the expansion I would come back a bit before the expansion launches not 100% but you may need to finish the current story to access the new areas. Really looking forward to the new xpac. Aso for the guy who was talking about housing you can get a.private room in your fc house and use the fc chocobo stable to raise train your bird
  • Froggie85Froggie85 Member UncommonPosts: 221

Not any more, repetitive lobby game is not my thing. I sub for a month and check out the expansion just to catch up on the main story. I doubt i will stay beyond that and go back to the free weekends which is enough for me.

Once they ad relevant good content other than token grind dungeons i will most likely sub again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZN1HowUV5Q

I'm wishing the same.

Like a specific example?  That's tough.  I'm no game designer, but what I do know is that running the same dungeons 100x in order to gear up after every patch is not dynamic.

It's easily accessible, but not dynamic.

Originally posted by Foomerang Already preordered. I love the variety of content in this game. I like that you can avoid any and all token grinds and still have tons of deep and meaningful character progression.
    Like what?

PS: Don't say crafting and gathering, lmao.

Oh yeah, you're that guy who says he's done everything but didn't know what any end game items are called and won't reveal your super secret character heh.

Still trying to convince people I see ;)

You have not answered my question. Mind sharing the tons of deep and meaningful character progression?

PS: I know what the items are called i just don't call 'em that since i come from FFXI and use those terms.

Sounds like a cop out to me bro.  

Like what? PS: Don't say crafting and gathering, lmao.
    Oh yeah, you're that guy who says he's done everything but didn't know what any end game items are called and won't reveal your super secret character heh. Still trying to convince people I see ;)

I have already answered you question in previous threads and even a private message. At this point, you either accept the fact we have differing opinions or move on. Your credibility is suspect regarding this game while I have been nothing but transparent with my character info, playstyle,etc.

I am pretty sure other people reading this thread would be interested to hear it too but as usual, you don't have an answer at all. I know this and it's pretty obvious for everyone to see that you evade and start straw man arguments, try to discredit me instead of answering a simple question?

Mind sharing the tons of deep and meaningful character progression?

Most people reading this know already. For those who don't know can use google and youtube. Which you should have done before posting and losing credibility.

I'm wishing the same.

Like a specific example?  That's tough.  I'm no game designer, but what I do know is that running the same dungeons 100x in order to gear up after every patch is not dynamic.

I hate to tell you this, but not being a game designer isn't an excuse except for being lazy. You want something? How are they supposed to create something people want if they can't even say what they want. They can come up with ideas through specific feedback but blanket statements of "running dungeons 100x times to gear up" tells them nothing. What else are you supposed to do? What else do you want to do (and no, anything else is not an answer)? How does it work in an MMO setting?

Seriously, how exactly do you expect to get best gear if not run a dungeon or do raids? Those are the hardest content - the ones with the most work and involve working with others. Putting the best gear in, let's say, treasure hunting does nothing for the player in terms of difficulty.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Craft ^^

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I'm wishing the same.

I hate to tell you this, but not being a game designer isn't an excuse except for being lazy. You want something? How are they supposed to create something people want if they can't even say what they want. They can come up with ideas through specific feedback but blanket statements of "running dungeons 100x times to gear up" tells them nothing. What else are you supposed to do? What else do you want to do (and no, anything else is not an answer)? How does it work in an MMO setting?

Seriously, how exactly do you expect to get best gear if not run a dungeon or do raids? Those are the hardest content - the ones with the most work and involve working with others. Putting the best gear in, let's say, treasure hunting does nothing for the player in terms of difficulty.

Welp. You can level crafting do fates for atma for weps do maps moogle mail, beast tribe for end game gear currency, hunts that give end game currncy as well, and fishing is it's own beast. All with it's own stories and everything. Also you can PvP and do Frontlines for end game currency too.

So NO. You do NOT have to do the same dungeon 100x to get gear LMAO. 

Soon we'll get 10 more levels and 50+ hours of gameplay.

It's how YOU play the game, that makes the game fun or not.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Craft ^^

True that. That's what i'm doing right now lol.

Originally posted by Mandodo69

I'm wishing the same.

Welp. You can level crafting do fates for atma for weps do maps moogle mail, beast tribe for end game gear currency, hunts that give end game currncy as well, and fishing is it's own beast. All with it's own stories and everything. Also you can PvP and do Frontlines for end game currency too.

...I was talking gear, not currency. Currency is used to pretty much get vets to play older dungeons and other stuff. But, then, my point is proven in that they do have other ways through effort in other things. But, I thought the best gear only came from raiding (I'm still new to the game, y'know)?

Either way, I feel the best gear should come from the hardest content simply because it requires the most effort. Though I wouldn't mind, say, a treasure map leading to a raid tier boss battle (solo level) that has you change to a combat class to fight it before you can open it for some of the best gear.

Or collaborative crafting or really awful success rate for the best gear.

Hunts that are like SSS difficult, or hard to reach and beat FATEs (again, Raid tier), or group side quests with a raid tier boss at the end, or a multiboss hard mode primal difficult side quest chain line.

I don't mind the ideas of difficult stuff like that having the best gear (not currency, the gear itself) because well, they earned it. They put in a huge amount of effort to get this stuff - not time, effort.

I'm wishing the same.

All of your options provide sub-par gear compared to mine.  Try again.

People automatically assume that because I'm critical of the game I must not like it.  That would be extremely hypocritical considering I play it quite often.  I'm just not blind to what's plain to see.

I'm currently working on upgrading my ninja's relic weapon, which involves, guess what?  Running a ton of dungeons (atma > animus), and then again later at another step for an RNG drop that people in the community have vehemently disagreed with because it's possible (and likely) that you'll run the EXACT SAME DUNGEON 20+ times and not get what you need.  You can't argue with that, it's a fact.

As to sage, I could sit here and ponder and eventually come up with something, but why waste the effort?  It's not going to change anything.  The only way to truly change it is to insert yourself in the development process somehow, and I have no desire to create games, just play them.

I'm wishing the same.

People automatically assume that because I'm critical of the game I must not like it.  That would be extremely hypocritical considering I play it quite often.  I'm just not blind to what's plain to see.

I'm currently working on upgrading my ninja's relic weapon, which involves, guess what?  Running a ton of dungeons (atma > animus), and then again later at another step for an RNG drop that people in the community have vehemently disagreed with because it's possible (and likely) that you'll run the EXACT SAME DUNGEON 20+ times and not get what you need.  You can't argue with that, it's a fact.

As to sage, I could sit here and ponder and eventually come up with something, but why waste the effort?  It's not going to change anything.  The only way to truly change it is to insert yourself in the development process somehow, and I have no desire to create games, just play them.

...Because you can submit it as a question for live letters and/or post on official forums enough to get attention and response?

I'm wishing the same.

...Because you can submit it as a question for live letters and/or post on official forums enough to get attention and response?

You HAVE watched live letters correct?  The vast majority of the time the response is "we have no plans to implement something like this at this time" if the suggestion or question is not related to already released/leaked info before the live letter.  I'm not saying they don't listen to the player base, but a total changeup of endgame?  Come on now....let's be realistic.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I'm wishing the same.

"It's not meaningful or interesting unless it raises my combat parameters."

A classic yet none the less flawed comment.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

I'm wishing the same.

You HAVE watched live letters correct?  The vast majority of the time the response is "we have no plans to implement something like this at this time" if the suggestion or question is not related to already released/leaked info before the live letter.  I'm not saying they don't listen to the player base, but a total changeup of endgame?  Come on now....let's be realistic.

You do realize that "we have no plans to implement something like this at this time" isn't code for "we aren't doing it" but code for "we never thought of that" right?

And, if an idea becomes popular enough they'll definitely look into it.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

I'm wishing the same.

It's not progression unless it raises my combat parameters.  You DO realize we are talking strictly PvE here right? 

Originally posted by Hyanmen

I'm wishing the same.

It's not progression unless it raises my combat parameters.  You DO realize we are talking strictly PvE here right? 

Is PvE only about combat?