Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GoblinWorks shooting itself in the foot?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Originally posted by caldeathe
    Originally posted by furbans

Pretty much was the deal breaker for me.  Loved the concepts they were trouting but the business model is ridiculous at it's current state.  The company doesn't want to properly invest into it yet they are asking the players to invest into the game for em. 

I suspect the owners don't have as much money as you think. They've already put in about 3 million, near as I can tell, aside form the kickstarter. How much more should they put in before they're allowed to try to get some income to continue?

They can ASK anytime they want.  People can look at it, laugh, and walk away.  The public will determine what an MVP product is.   Ryan thought that was reached January 1st.  The PUBLIC so far has strongly disagreed.  The "fans" playing the game are apparently not enough to support the game.  Sounds like MVP was not reached for the majority of non-fans.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by furbans

Pretty much was the deal breaker for me.  Loved the concepts they were trouting but the business model is ridiculous at it's current state.  The company doesn't want to properly invest into it yet they are asking the players to invest into the game for em. 

I suspect the owners don't have as much money as you think. They've already put in about 3 million, near as I can tell, aside form the kickstarter. How much more should they put in before they're allowed to try to get some income to continue?

Other Independent developers have launched MMOs without Kick Starter + Some Parent Company  Backing + Buy-to-Play + Subscription.  

Look at Fallen Earth for example:

After a number of years in the making, Fallen Earth developers announced in a June 2008 press release that the game had reached feature-complete status.[19] In October 2008, the Fallen Earth website reported that the game had reached content-complete status.[20] The first wave of Alpha tests began in August 2008, and closed Beta testing began in February 2009.[21]

As part of a promotional campaign, Fallen Earth announced a National Tour on their website in February 2009.[22] They planned to sponsor IGDA meetings, and participating in events across the United States, doing public demonstrations promoting the game and taking part in question-and-answer sessions with the audience.

On March 10, 2010, Icarus Studios announced the beta release of Fallen Earth for the Mac OS X platform. The Mac OS X version of Fallen Earth uses Wine technology and requires an Intel-based Mac system with a discrete graphics processor.[1]

Fallen Earth was acquired by Reloaded Productions in June, 2011.

Feature Complete Status = October 2008

Alpha = August 2008

Beta = February 2009

Release = March 2010

Not until it was released did they collect a dime from the consumer, but some how they managed to pull off an award winning MMO.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

How much money the owners do or do not have is completely irrelevant from the viewpoint of the consumer.

Goblinworks knew what they were aiming for and set lofty goals when they took on a project of this magnitude, yet because they couldn't secure a solid backer or long term investor that somehow becomes the fault of the fans and consumers? They are then expected to take on the remaining burden?

3 million is peanuts in this industry, and the fact that you seem to think that the coffers have dried up already is yet another sign of gross mismanagement on the part of Goblinworks. They have a long way to go and little to no resources left to draw from, and we all know that crowdfunding isn't going to cut it, so if they are serious about ever truly completing this project then they had better start trying to secure a proper source of reliable funding immediately.

If they cannot secure a funding source then this game will be dead before it ever had a chance to succeed. There are more than enough examples of this exact scenario occurring over the last decade, it isn't speculation - it is a fact.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    It doesn't really matter the game is technically launched now, anyone who is interested in the game should be playing it.  Its no different than asking this same question for any other released game.