Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice fun game, but abilities kill it for me

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Been playing mmos for several years. I guess you could say I'm more of an old schooler.  So I bounce around like most forever searching.  With that I've been playing Guildwars 2 on and off since release.

What's different about GW2 is given a few months away, I actually get a big urge to play unlike most other mmos that I quit and never come back too.  I wasn't able to put my finger on exactly why I could only play this one for more than a few days until last night.

Abilities are just soooo boring......I played a Necro to about 54, a Warrior into it's 20s and just made an Engineer to around 10. Sure 10 isn't  much, I understand I'll get turrets, grenades and bombs and such.  But for now I'm filling up my left hot bar with rifles and pestles abilities.  I get an auto shoot, scatter shot and some kind of knock back blast shot. To me there all really the same, just press a button and watch the animation......Playing my Necro and Warrior were the same reflecting back.  Yes, you can change things in and out BUT ITS STILL JUST PLAN BORING FOR REASIONS THAT I CAN'T EXPLAIN !

Being an old schooler, things like dynamic events and story lines are usually hated by me, but I actually like this stuff and the world, it's just combat is my problem....Boring. 

I'm more of a PVE player that likes to group.  I'll tell myself, some day I'll really give PVP a good chance.  In fact I'll watch PVP Youtubes and they make each class look so exciting the way they have so much analyzed out to stay alive against several players at the same time.  I would love to stick around and try.  But when I try to put this into action I get board before I get started.    

Comments

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Play wow if you are mostly pve player. 
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

I am not gonna say your wrong because gw2 does have less skill per class compared to other mmos, but by your character levels you havent touched the "hardcore" pve content yet. 3yr in and i havent mastered full engie rotation yet (fire fields+blast finishers, sharpnel granade, etc).

Also don't forget to TRAITS! they what give life to your class gameplay.

My only advice is to not force yourself to like something, theres plenty of games out there for everybody tastes(GTA V for pc now :D) Gw2 is pretty "casul" so no need to rush there.

Try checking the official forums, there people will be willing to answer your questions (maybe you can even find some in the stickies in the subforums).

Anyway good luck on your quest :D

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• GrizzkhitGrizzkhit Member UncommonPosts: 16

I have played also GW2 on and off since the beginning. I'm not playing at the moment but I have 3 characters at 80. Warrior, Guardian and Ranger. I haven't played Necro but I've tried engineer a bit and they have a somewhat special playstyle, either you hate it or you love it. It wasn't my cup of tea so I didn't get very high with that class. But my experience from my other 3 characters is that leveling up to 40 is a bit boring and slow, after that things get better since you are starting to get enough trait points to make some serious builds. The leveling will also be alot faster as you go, the last 10 Levels goes really fast as the last few zones award alot of xp from hearts and events.

The combat in GW2 requires you to watch the monsters and recognise their animations so you can dodge their attacks. This type of combat is very action oriented compared to the "old school" mmos and I know that some of my friends really have a problem With this kind of combat system, so maybe it just isn't for you. Anyway I really encourage you to get a Warrior above 40 as they have a lot of great builds both for range and melee and have the fastest map movement with charge skills from greatsword and longsword.

That you are a pve player that likes to group can be a bit off putting as in the world basically everyone is in the same group, so you will see a lot of players that just wants to solo and not socialize. But there are good guilds around if you want to be social and get some of the harder content done.

I'm currently not playing GW2 as I miss some sort of meaningful character progression at max lelvel after I get my characters decked in exotic gear. But it is still one of my current 3 favourite mmos together with WoW and SWTOR. I am also what can considered an old school gamer as I was gaming on the Nintendo 8-bit in the  eighties

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Thanks for the advice,

I'll stick with the game for now, and give a change of attitude, because it is a good game :)

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by delete5230

Thanks for the advice,

I'll stick with the game for now, and give a change of attitude, because it is a good game :)

If you want something a bit different you should try a Mesmer.  Not really my cup of tea, but then again im a melee player and not a fan of ranged.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

Thanks for the advice,

If you want something a bit different you should try a Mesmer.  Not really my cup of tea, but then again im a melee player and not a fan of ranged.

What makes you think that mesmers cannot be played in Melee?

There is no such thing as a fully range or melee character.

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124

Thanks for the advice,

You have to try elementalist! best profession in GW2. And definetly not boring.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Sorry but you don't really know your skills below lvl 30. Not to mention the lack of traits totally make it a lackluster. #FuckNPE 

And I'd say thief and mesmer feels "home" to old schoolers. Some of them at least. There's a lot of resource management on these classes and uptime. 

And to the guy talking about mesmer not being melee .. one of the better PvE builds uses Sword/Sword for DPS xD

Ya know what I think Ill make a Mesmer right now.  I don't think an engineer is for me and, wayyy back in bata I played a Elementlest for a short time, good class but I would like to try something different.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145

You can pvp any time you want to with any level character.  Pvp isn't level or gear gated.  Maybe trying out characters in pvp where they have all their skills unlocked (i think) you will see whether you like the classes potential?

GW2 has quite a deceptively complex combo system.  The engineer and the elementalist in particular have some extremely powerful and difficult to pull off combos. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Like some have said Blast and Finishers! Learn them and learn when to use them. They are huge and very beneficial for you and the players around you!

They way you feel about Necro and Warrior is the way I feel about the Thief.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This game would've been better if they just copy/paste'd GW1 and used GW2's graphics. But we'll see how the expansion goes.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by mystik13

You can pvp any time you want to with any level character.  Pvp isn't level or gear gated.  Maybe trying out characters in pvp where they have all their skills unlocked (i think) you will see whether you like the classes potential?

GW2 has quite a deceptively complex combo system.  The engineer and the elementalist in particular have some extremely powerful and difficult to pull off combos. 

Yeah the combo system is just about the best thing this game has to offer other than not having typical linear questing.  It gives you a lot more freedom than most themeparks.

Your enjoyment of the combat is highly dependent on the class you choose.  I tried engineer and thought is was convoluted and weak initially.  I tried thief and it was a nightmare...worst dps ever (think it was because I was a pistol thief).  Tried warrior and melee ranger and loved it.  The necro class is pretty weak unless you really get familiar with it and then it rocks.

Made a Mesmer last night only played a short time to level 6, but I could tell that I'll like that class better than the Engineer.  And I forgot about the combo system, thanks for the reminder :)

I do have another question :

My friend at work that loves the game has a few 80s.  Long time ago when he first started he played a Thief and hated it, because it seemed that you had to do a lot of wasted setup time that other classes don't. ( understand that he was new ).  So my question is are Thief's fun ?

A little story :

Several months ago or maybe about a year.  I was out questing, cant remember what class I was playing or what level, but I was watching this Thief player, he got mobbed by several monsters.  I was about to help him from a for sure death when to my surprise he held them off for like three minuets.  He danced around them like they were toys and killed them all.  Very impressive Like the PvP videos I've seen on Youtubes.....So what I'm saying is that the game can get quite technical if you choose to play that way.....Am I right ?

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    try a thief aswell they do not have cool downs on their skills instead they cost initiative 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    If by boring you mean lacking relative depth then I agree. I didn't find the abilities and the game in general boring at first, they cover it well with flashy graphics, but since it follows the predictable modern MMORPG trend of not wishing to overwhealm the short attention span generation with more than puddle depth in skills and dynaimcs, it's natural to find these games dull after a short period of time if you are used to the early MMOs of yore. I forsee this trend getting worse in coming years (besides the odd novelty throwback) the tendency is for increased simplification in games as time goes by (although not an MMO obviously, I recall spending an entire sleepless night trying to find ONE lever in the first tomb raider game before the internet was easily accessible, do you think anyone would put up with that kind of difficulty again?). Sure games will get flashier with more shiny bells and whistles but the days of dizzying EQ2 layers of hotbar skills are gone methinks. 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

So what I'm saying is that the game can get quite technical if you choose to play that way.....Am I right ?

Yes and thief is an example of high reward - risk ratio.

Try the pvp meta build in pve sometime. One wrong move and you will die but at the same time you can one shot a lot of enemies.

People just usually prefer not to do this because there are slashing attacks that will make you auto-dodge while dealing a lot of damage. Monsters in pve are too stupid to just move out of that slashing attack. So most people won't bother using tricks when they can get their kills the easy way.

Harbinger of Fools