Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam removes paid mods after community backlash.

2»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by tawess

Nilden you said "But hey feel free to defend this all you want with nothing to back it up." only to present the exact same thing i said that made you post that... I´d call that taking tone yes... 

But yes i support this 30/45/25 split because that is how reality works... Hench why many people today try the hand a self-publishing. 

Nobody likes to work for free after all. 

I feel like I did the leg work for you there by finding the link. If you had just posted what I found I wouldn't have said you didn't have anything to back it up. In the future I'll just take your word for it.

I still think it's total BS. My mods will always be free and I'm glad they killed it.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Bascola
    Originally posted by dalewj

25% to the creator these days is about normal. Im an author and 25% is a good day. in this world of housed products you have to expect no more then 30%, that's how these company's make money (I know its a terrible thing that someone makes money)

Yes a book author gets 15-25% on a good day but you also do not have to proof read, translate, create covers, print the book, market the book, ship the book, process payments and pay all your employees doing the aforementioned.

But in this case Steam and Bethesda provided NOTHING. Steam added a button. Both Steam and Bethesda officially announced to be completely hands-off, no quality control, no responsibility!

They have payment processing fees, which are around 5% not 30% and Bethesda is doing jack shit and bags 45%.

They provided nothing? You mean the people who actually made the game and the people who made the platform for the modders provided nothing? Absolutely ridiculous.

I get everyone is all up in arms over this, but to suggest that the very people who made the game, and made the game moddable provided nothing in this equation is stupid.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Nilden
    I feel like I did the leg work for you there by finding the link. If you had just posted what I found I wouldn't have said you didn't have anything to back it up. In the future I'll just take your word for it.

I still think it's total BS. My mods will always be free and I'm glad they killed it.

Trusting me would be a lot easier for you. =) =P

Any way.. Next time you perhaps should do some more research before getting in to an argument. That way you do not come off looking half-baked. 

With that said i do applaud you for providing your time and dedication free of charge. It is a noble thing to do. 

This have been a good conversation

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Steam needs better quality control. I'm all for content creators being paid, but with being paid comes responsibilities. If you're going to sell something you have the obligation to insure that something works and doesn't break anything else! That's hard to do with mods. Plus most of the time mods have always been free. It's hard to get people to start paying for something they didn't have to pay for before. A mod would have to be REALLY special to justify charging for it and no, putting genitals on horses in Skyrim doesn't count.
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by Bascola
    Originally posted by dalewj

25% to the creator these days is about normal. Im an author and 25% is a good day. in this world of housed products you have to expect no more then 30%, that's how these company's make money (I know its a terrible thing that someone makes money)

Yes a book author gets 15-25% on a good day but you also do not have to proof read, translate, create covers, print the book, market the book, ship the book, process payments and pay all your employees doing the aforementioned.

But in this case Steam and Bethesda provided NOTHING. Steam added a button. Both Steam and Bethesda officially announced to be completely hands-off, no quality control, no responsibility!

They have payment processing fees, which are around 5% not 30% and Bethesda is doing jack shit and bags 45%.

They provided nothing? You mean the people who actually made the game and the people who made the platform for the modders provided nothing? Absolutely ridiculous.

I get everyone is all up in arms over this, but to suggest that the very people who made the game, and made the game moddable provided nothing in this equation is stupid.

The Workshop is already FREE, Mods have been FREE and still are. Do you think that just slapping a price tag on an already FREE service makes it OK to charge 75%?

Don't play stupid, you know exactly what i meant. You conveniently ignored the rest of my post saying they provide payment processing. No point in arguing with you, I am not stupid.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Lol that lasted long. Now all that is needed is for Blizz to remove WoW Tokens because 'we did not know what we were doing' and the ciricle is complete.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    As of yesterday they said they were going to "review their processes".  I guess that didn't last long.