Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Lineage 2 Classic Server Coming!

Comments

• VIktory4Lineage2VIktory4Lineage2 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Cannot wait for them to launch the server. If only they gave us at least rough estimate when it will come. I wonder if we are talking about a month or Q3 / Q4 / 2016.

They just said today that if everything goes as planned after summer.

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,749
    Man that is far away.
  • RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    This is indeed quite annoying, I might still give it a go but for a lot of people that I used to play with they are only really hyped now for this, I doubt I will be able to convince them or that they will care about it 4/5 months down the line. Not really a well played card by 4Game, I was expecting this was gonna be a 1 month after the voting ended kind of thing, ohh well.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Raven
    This is indeed quite annoying, I might still give it a go but for a lot of people that I used to play with they are only really hyped now for this, I doubt I will be able to convince them or that they will care about it 4/5 months down the line. Not really a well played card by 4Game, I was expecting this was gonna be a 1 month after the voting ended kind of thing, ohh well.

Your not wrong, 1 month would probably have been acceptable, but 4 or 5 months, by then many will have moved on to other things and probably forgotten all about it.

Hard to imagine that Innova are really serious about this, either that or they have a problem obtaining permissions, who knows, something strange though if it is taking them this long to bring about a server for a game that has been in existence for such a long period of time. image

Originally posted by Phry

Your not wrong, 1 month would probably have been acceptable, but 4 or 5 months, by then many will have moved on to other things and probably forgotten all about it.

Hard to imagine that Innova are really serious about this, either that or they have a problem obtaining permissions, who knows, something strange though if it is taking them this long to bring about a server for a game that has been in existence for such a long period of time. image

I am actually inclined to believe that this is not necessarily true. Consider who the customers for the L2 Classic server are. I think they are mostly represented by L2 vets who appreciated the hardcore aspects of original Lineage 2 and for whom, current casualized version of Lineage running on official servers is not very attractive which is why they are looking for the original L2 experience. These people have likely been waiting for it to come back for years. Consequently, several more months will not play a significant role, in my opinion.

I would personally count myself among them. In addition, I am a frequent reader / poster on the official L2 Classic forum run by Innova and most people's posts there support my opinion.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,028

Yea, I was thinking it was coming soon too. Back to Chronos for me then.

Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT180 Sound Bar
    Vizio M-Series Quantum 65" 4K Display

AMD Ryzen 2700X
    EVGA GTX 1060 
    Samsung MU6300 40" 4K Display
  • VIktory4Lineage2VIktory4Lineage2 Member UncommonPosts: 46

I understand what you're getting at, but here are a few points to look out. innova not looking for some quick cash grab they want only people that are really interested. I'm sure they want all the 1 month people that test it and quick, but then everyone that really wants a good server would be left with a half assed rushed client, blah blah. 

The real reason why it's after summer is because Innova said that they would never release a game in the summer, so bascially this means that they could probably get everything ready for a release in july, but they said no summer releases so they are sticking by it. 

The hype might die a little down, but even after summer there still no games in sight that I would play, and if you wanna keep your own hype building inside you just go to 4games forums and talk in the classic disscussion it's alot of fun, or go to twitch and watch some streams.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Fair point, but do you think all the die hards (that are willing to wait till Sept - Nov for a launch) enough people to make up a large enough server population to make the game worth while to play?  Sandbox games are more dependent on an active server community than the themepark types.

In my opinion, Innova will need to make some converts out of people who haven't experienced a classic Lineage 2 experience to supplement the relatively small number of dedicated L2 vets.  2 Things that work against bringing in new blood are 1) Prolonged release in an already saturated gaming market 2) 1/6th drop & exp rates

Dropping the EU Classic client within 1 month of hitting the feasibility metrics & going with original 1x rates would have improved the chances of yielding a larger playerbase than going with Innova's current plan.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by VIktory4Lineage2

I understand what you're getting at, but here are a few points to look out. innova not looking for some quick cash grab they want only people that are really interested. I'm sure they want all the 1 month people that test it and quick, but then everyone that really wants a good server would be left with a half assed rushed client, blah blah. 

The real reason why it's after summer is because Innova said that they would never release a game in the summer, so bascially this means that they could probably get everything ready for a release in july, but they said no summer releases so they are sticking by it. 

The hype might die a little down, but even after summer there still no games in sight that I would play, and if you wanna keep your own hype building inside you just go to 4games forums and talk in the classic disscussion it's alot of fun, or go to twitch and watch some streams.

There may not be any summer releases, but I've seen a lot of Lineage 2 MMO fans talk about signing up for the new Blade & Soul launch coming around the same time Innova will likely launch L2.  That's unwanted competition for the classic server.

Also the Innova forums have been down for 2 days...something that doesn't exactly encourage folks willing to wait it out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,775

I don't see why this is an issue. Had they not solicited possible players and just announced it 4 - 5 months from now, the people who would be interested would probably still be interested.

What's going on 4-5 months from now that's going to be more compelling than what's going on 1 month from now?

This is similar to the Blade & Soul business with "isn't this a 3 year old game? Too little too late!"

If the game is compelling then people will still be interested.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't see why this is an issue. Had they not solicited possible players and just announced it 4 - 5 months from now, the people who would be interested would probably still be interested.

What's going on 4-5 months from now that's going to be more compelling than what's going on 1 month from now?

This is similar to the Blade & Soul business with "isn't this a 3 year old game? Too little too late!"

I think a lot of people are in it for the nostalgia, when you ask for 20k people to sign up to prove that your business model is viable by X date then people expect some kind of plan at X date, when I saw this I got really excited, I started to talk to people about playing it again, a few people signed up because we talked about plans to re-live some of the moments we had back in early 2000s when we started playing the game. 

This whole thing was tied to the fact that by the 21st we would get some yay or nay, its just gonna be hard to maintain the level of excitment this far off I suppose. Its not very clever of them cause if 6 months down the line im happy playing something else with other people I will probably not gonna resub to L2 just to try out classic.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Not to mention, people do start games years after they've launched all the time. The only people who are turned away from starting a game some time after its release, are those who feel it's not worth playing if they haven't. There's plenty of people who do not think that way.

New people enter the MMO market all the time. People tire of the same, familiar experience they'd been getting, and want to try something new. Maybe they're looking for something to supplement their usual gaming fare. Maybe they have friends who play, and want them to come play with them. And so on.

I also find it odd that, while people have been asking for a classic L2 server for a long time now - since GoD launched. Now that they know they'll finally have that opportunity... having to wait a few months is somehow going to make them say "Oh, no nevermind. Too far off". That just does not make any sense. Seems to me people making that argument are projecting their own impatience.

It's like a kid begging their parents for their favorite bike for years. Every year, they don't get it, but they keep asking for it. Then, finally one year, their parents say "we're getting you the bike you wanted! But you have to wait a few months, until Christmas". In response, the kid says "I have to wait a few months for it? Then forget it, I don't want it anymore". I mean.. who the hell would do that?

I could see them perhaps trying to use it as some manipulative tactic, maybe hoping the parents will feel bad for "crushing their hopes by making them wait", and say "Oh, okay nevermind.. you can have it now". Maybe that's what's going on?

• RariusRarius Member CommonPosts: 10

Lineage 2 is the best mmorpg experience you will have. It was my first mmorpg I played back in 2005 and even though I tried many new and modern games in the following years like WOW, Aion, Warhammer online, Tera, SWOTR, ESO, Wildstar, I never had the same social experience and fun as I had back in the L2 days. The people that knew and played  L2  in the 'early' years understand me. Of course the game is more hardcore than any other games out there but this doesnt mean that these days are over. There are many people that feel nostalgic about Lineage 2!

Recently (2 months ago) I started playing again in offcial server Naia and to be honest I just wanted to visit some places like executions grounds, cruma tower, antharas lair, giants cave, wasnt in my intention to start playing L2 again. But to my surprise i found so many people still playing, old and new players and had once again so much fun that what started as a simple visit to lineage 2 world, turned out to be so much fun that I stayed and grinded to higher levels (92 so far with dual 87 and ISS character 91) and still grinding ;) . This game is not the same of course as it was some years ago, a lot have changed but still great game.

Now in terms of the L2 classic server, I would very much like to try it with a decent subscription cost (6 euros for example for each account). Another thing that makes me sceptical is the 1/6 rates from old official days of the server that I hear. I think 1/6 is too much and something like 1/2 would be more appropriate. Old official was hardcore so 1/2 of that one would be fine, but 1/6 i dont think so. Dont forget that the russian classic servers started with a big population and  for some months they retained that but now are almost empty. In this competitive mmorpg market that every few months we have a new big mmo coming out, people playing at 1/6 l2 rates will not last in l2. Out of the 15k signatures they gathered for the classic server launch I would say 1-2k really understand what 1/6 really means. Rest 13-14k dont and they will start quiting after few months. And when you start losing population, and friends that you used to play together, clanmates etc you also get turned off and you get dissappointed and quiting is not far ahead.

So to sum some things up I would like a L2 classic server with 5-6 euros sub cost, cause I would definately use 2 accounts so 10-12 euros per month is enough. Secondly abandon the 1/6 rates and make something more realistic like 1/2, and thirdly the botting policy should be tough. If they dont ban the botters from day one, cause 8 out of 10 people that are in favour of 1/6 rates when they were playing l2 in the past they were botting and didnt really feel the grind consuming your life :P..., the server will fail. Few simple things for a successful server!

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Originally posted by Rarius

Lineage 2 is the best mmorpg experience you will have. It was my first mmorpg I played back in 2005 and even though I tried many new and modern games in the following years like WOW, Aion, Warhammer online, Tera, SWOTR, ESO, Wildstar, I never had the same social experience and fun as I had back in the L2 days. The people that knew and played  L2  in the 'early' years understand me. Of course the game is more hardcore than any other games out there but this doesnt mean that these days are over. There are many people that feel nostalgic about Lineage 2!

Recently (2 months ago) I started playing again in offcial server Naia and to be honest I just wanted to visit some places like executions grounds, cruma tower, antharas lair, giants cave, wasnt in my intention to start playing L2 again. But to my surprise i found so many people still playing, old and new players and had once again so much fun that what started as a simple visit to lineage 2 world, turned out to be so much fun that I stayed and grinded to higher levels (92 so far with dual 87 and ISS character 91) and still grinding ;) . This game is not the same of course as it was some years ago, a lot have changed but still great game.

Now in terms of the L2 classic server, I would very much like to try it with a decent subscription cost (6 euros for example for each account). Another thing that makes me sceptical is the 1/6 rates from old official days of the server that I hear. I think 1/6 is too much and something like 1/2 would be more appropriate. Old official was hardcore so 1/2 of that one would be fine, but 1/6 i dont think so. Dont forget that the russian classic servers started with a big population and  for some months they retained that but now are almost empty. In this competitive mmorpg market that every few months we have a new big mmo coming out, people playing at 1/6 l2 rates will not last in l2. Out of the 15k signatures they gathered for the classic server launch I would say 1-2k really understand what 1/6 really means. Rest 13-14k dont and they will start quiting after few months. And when you start losing population, and friends that you used to play together, clanmates etc you also get turned off and you get dissappointed and quiting is not far ahead.

So to sum some things up I would like a L2 classic server with 5-6 euros sub cost, cause I would definately use 2 accounts so 10-12 euros per month is enough. Secondly abandon the 1/6 rates and make something more realistic like 1/2, and thirdly the botting policy should be tough. If they dont ban the botters from day one, cause 8 out of 10 people that are in favour of 1/6 rates when they were playing l2 in the past they were botting and didnt really feel the grind consuming your life :P..., the server will fail. Few simple things for a successful server!

Let's say that 10k players from those 15K signs will play, 60%+ of them will quit withing 6-7 months because they don't really know what is waiting for them (like the 1/6 drop rates) they are just being influencied by nostalgia but reality is cruel. Just look how Classic Korea and RU are slowly decaying and don't expect that it will be different with EU Classic.

I love L2 as much as the next L2 Fan, it is still one of my favourite MMOs I have played and I love all the great memories I have from it, but L2 isnt just about the game itself, a lot of its success for me personally was in the player interaction and the people playing it, while it is nice to go around execution grounds again and cruma tower, the game just isnt the same anymore, it has become a fend for yourself kind of game and bang together, the game used to be about player cooperation and that is what made it awesome for me, its not like you could be successful in this game on your own.

Sure you could be a great pvper, but it was about politics and strategies and how you conducted yourself on your server and how you managed your goals ( farm those doomplate parts to get your tanks geared up, or farm eminence bow shafts to equip your archers, lock down DVC so only you get katana drops etc... ) 

A lot of the game now while it has been made a lot more accessible and there are still quite a few people playing it is no longer that experience, you are essentially expected to pay your way up it doesnt really matter how good you are, there is a minimum bar you need to reach in order to be part of the very small group of people who can contest things like castles, if you arent near top level with a 300 element bow and +6 armor you might as well go home until then you are just left grinding on your own and paying money to get past the awful grind. 

The grind didnt matter because everyone cooperated together regarless there were a lot of side goals for everyone and everyone felt useful and part of the clan, this isnt the case anymore, now its all about reaching max level and being optimal then you can actually play the game.

With L2 classic there is hope to make the game relevant at all levels again, the guy selling swords in TI still being relevant up to the guy grinding katanas in DVC, where the game isnt just about rushing through every level to the target level get the optimal gear and then start playing.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Would be fun to use the boats to move through towns because I'd be too broke to use the gatekeeper :D Catching a 5 minute ride with bunch of strangers 

The rates are not going anywhere. Innova already mentioned several times on the official forums that the rates will stay as they are.

I personally do not think they are necessarily a bad thing. L2 has never been about rushing to cap and do "endgame" activities. It has always been about the way to the top and social interactions experienced on the way. The rates only make the trip longer and a little more difficult which I am perfectly ok with. L2 players are used to hardcore, that is what the game is about I would say.

Hope there will be enough dedicated enthusiasts who will stay long term to keep the server going without making it F2P or adding cash shop.

Regarding the subscription, I would like it to be around 7 EUR a month as I am gonna go with 2 accounts as well (a thing I do not like and never really did, but here, it will be almost required I believe. My spellsinger needs its SE :) )

• RariusRarius Member CommonPosts: 10
    The problem will be with the botters. Everyone has encountered botters in the past and you know what negative impact can have in the server. Few botters are enough to change the servers politics and market. Its not that hard to have 2 Gms go out day and night for few hours and roam around the 'small at first' L2 map and ban botters. I know private servers that they were doing that, so with the resources that Innova will have it will be much easier for a plan against botters. If you want to tackle the botting problem there are ways to do it, if not you have failed as servers game masters.

Good to see you still enjoy the game. I have never stopped playing and never will until either NC Soft pulls the plug or Lineage 3 releases. I have said this many times before that Lineage 2 at its core is still the same game it has always been. Anytime I hear somebody say the game has become easy mode I know then that they don't play the game and have no clue to what the game is about. I finally got my first Epic Boss jewel a couple days ago. Something I have been trying to get for years.  

Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT180 Sound Bar

AMD Ryzen 2700X
    EVGA GTX 1060 
    Originally posted by Mikeha

Good to see you still enjoy the game. I have never stopped playing and never will until either NC Soft pulls the plug or Lineage 3 releases. I have said this many times before that Lineage 2 at its core is still the same game it has always been. Anytime I hear somebody say the game has become easy mode I know then that they don't play the game and have no clue to what the game is about. I finally got my first Epic Boss jewel a couple days ago. Something I have been trying to get for years.  

This is a pretty bold statement considering that many L2 vets claim exactly that.

Lineage 3 is an urban legend. Maybe it can be among the future projects NC intend to develop using Unreal Engine 4. But as the Unreal 4 deal was made in 2013, don't expect another Lineage game before 2020+ due to the simple fact they need 7-8 years to develop an AAA MMO nowadays.

Blade&Soul development started in 2005 and launched in 2012, Lineage Eternal development started in 2008 (after the old Lineage 3 project under Unreal Engine 3 was cancelled and much of its source code, character design and combat-gameplay mechanis were used in TERA) and the launch is expected in late 2016.

This is a pretty bold statement considering that many L2 vets claim exactly that.

Its not bold when you play the game and no L2 vets are going to claim that Lineage 2 is easy. Sorry but my toon is 99 working on 100 so you wasting your time.

Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT180 Sound Bar

AMD Ryzen 2700X
    EVGA GTX 1060 

Its not bold when you play the game and no L2 vets are going to claim that Lineage 2 is easy. Sorry but my toon is 99 working on 100 so you wasting your time.

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch. 2 years since then and the ones that reached lvl 88 are not even close to get level 89.

http://2p.com/2768261_1/Finally-Someone-Hit-Level-88-In-Lineage-And-He-Spent-2-Years-Doing-That-by-Wei

If L1 is so harder so why is it so successful? Simple: L1 has a much more balanced and competitive pvp which makes all the difference - in short it delivers a much more fun pvp than L2. L1 also has a much better drop rate, it's hardcore but you leave the game after a session of grind with the feeling that you were rewarded after that grind.

Originally posted by Kabulozo

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch.

http://2p.com/2768261_1/Finally-Someone-Hit-Level-88-In-Lineage-And-He-Spent-2-Years-Doing-That-by-Wei

If L1 is so harder so why is it so successful? Simple: L1 has a much more balanced and competitive pvp which makes all the difference - in short it delivers a much more fun pvp than L2. L1 also has a much better drop rate, it's hardcore but you leave the game after a session of grind with the feeling that you were rewarded after that grind.

Who here is talking about L1? LMAO

Prenho3 I feel sorry for you how you keep trolling the L2 forum talking about L1. You are so jealous of Lineage 2 its making you talk about L1 when its not even the game we are discussing. L1 is shut down in the west while Lineage 2 is still going. This is the West not the East and here Lineage 2 was more popular then Lineage 1. Its time you accept that and just move on.

Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT180 Sound Bar

AMD Ryzen 2700X
    EVGA GTX 1060 
    Originally posted by Kabulozo

Lineage 2 is MUCH EASIER than Lineage 1. To have some idea L1 launched in 1998 with 90 levels but only in 2013 the first Korean was able to reach level 88 - he spent 2 years to go from 87 -> 88 while L2 classic has several russians at level cap 6 months after launch.

Who here is talking about L1? LMAO

Prenho3 I feel sorry for you how you keep trolling the L2 forum talking about L1. You are so jealous of Lineage 2 its making you talk about L1 when its not even the game we are discussing. L1 is shut down in the west while Lineage 2 is still going. This is the West not the East and here Lineage 2 was more popular then Lineage 1. Its time you accept that and just move on.

I'm just laughing at the poor faces of the remaining L2 players that believe it is the most hardcore experience ever.

And even in west you can still find more hardcore game than L2 with MUCH more players like TIBIA.