Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An MMO like this?

fatesalignfatesalign Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone. I'm trying to find an MMO similar to Runescape. I know people have asked this before, but I'm trying to find a few specific things.

1. I want an MMO that doesn't have a massive amount of weapons. The reason is because MMOs like WOW have so many weapons, that you never feel like you're working for a new weapon (except end game of course). I'll never forget when I first started playing Runescape. I had the iron weapon, and I saw there was a weapon that was mythril. I was so pumped to get it. I worked really hard at it etc. It was so much fun earning each specific weapon and how sometimes it would take a really hard quest to get one. The feeling of accomplishment was great.

2. A MMO where I can get everything with one character. A bunch of jobs like Runescape where I don't have to pick and choose. Where I can be everything.

3. Something that's hard to lvl, so I feel like I accomplished something by getting to a high lvl.

Thank you for any answers. I've tried so hard to find something, but I just can't.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If you want a game that is just like Runescape, have you considered just playing Runescape itself?  You're not going to find some other game that is more similar to Runescape than Runescape itself is.

Even if it is the worst MMORPG I've ever played.

• venatisvenatis Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I guess you could give Eldevin a try? I've never played it, but I hear it's similar to Runescape in many respects, don't think that many people play it though. 
  • fatesalignfatesalign Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If you want a game that is just like Runescape, have you considered just playing Runescape itself?  You're not going to find some other game that is more similar to Runescape than Runescape itself is.

That's the thing. I've played Runescape for probably 1000 hours or more. I'm kind of over it, even though I last really played it a few years ago. I'm just looking for something similar, but it seems everything is a WOW clone. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by fatesalign

That's the thing. I've played Runescape for probably 1000 hours or more. I'm kind of over it, even though I last really played it a few years ago. I'm just looking for something similar, but it seems everything is a WOW clone. 

If you've played a game until you're sick of it, and then pick up another game just like it, you're already 90% of the way to being sick of the second game just on similarity to the first.

If you want something that is most certainly not a WoW-clone, you could try Uncharted Waters Online.  It fits your #2 and #3.  It doesn't really fit your #1, as there are a lot of weapons, but most of those weapons aren't really built for combat.  So it won't seem like there's an endless stream of steadily better weapons that you get without having to try to.  If you want to get weapon X, you have to go out of your way to get it.  Even if the "weapon" is a telescope to improve your geography skill.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

FFXIV?

Leveling a class doesn't take very long, but there are a lot of them, and you can be all of them on one character. Leveling them ~all~ takes a bit, and that's before talking anything about endgame.

While there is a good deal of gear variety, you don't really go chasing a lot of it - there are just a few that are clearly desirable, and then everything else is mostly in there for the lore, roleplaying, and if you are trying to get a specific look/skin/etc (which is tremendously popular).

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Both on FFXIV and on TSW you can max everything on one character.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• fatesalignfatesalign Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by fatesalign

If you've played a game until you're sick of it, and then pick up another game just like it, you're already 90% of the way to being sick of the second game just on similarity to the first.

If you want something that is most certainly not a WoW-clone, you could try Uncharted Waters Online.  It fits your #2 and #3.  It doesn't really fit your #1, as there are a lot of weapons, but most of those weapons aren't really built for combat.  So it won't seem like there's an endless stream of steadily better weapons that you get without having to try to.  If you want to get weapon X, you have to go out of your way to get it.  Even if the "weapon" is a telescope to improve your geography skill.

I'm sick of it in the sense that I'm sick of that exact thing. I love all the concepts though. I've tried so many MMO's, and I just don't like them, and those 3 reasons are the top ones. Thanks for your suggestion.

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

Archeage could be the game for you, you can lvl all classes on one character, you can play it ftp if money is an issue.

At high lvls it becomes quite hard to get better weapons, and getting better gear can be quite a grind.

Its also a pretty fun game just try to ignore all the haters.

There really is alot to do in this game its only really limited by your imagination, if you enjoy gliding around or epic naval battles or farming and building a house or pvp or dungeons, this game has it all.

If you going to play make sure you pick a active server, like Kyprosa on EU side or Ollo on NA side.